Wow! Gorgeous style.

Spun Silver

You are so right. That was beautiful! The skating, the program, the music -- gorgeous. I see igarashi was coached by Frank Carroll and was fourth at Worlds in 1981. I immediately thought of Uno and Machida and wondered if he had anything to do with them, even indirectly (as in a Japanese school of skating). Though TBH it was his low free leg coming out of jumps that reminded me of Shoma right off the bat.

rosewood

hydrangea moment
Igarashi worked at Dentsu for a while after his retirement. He also worked in JSF as well as a commentator on NHK. And then he ran the cute owl cafe in Tokyo. It's a hearsay but he got sick and sadly he had to close his owl cafe last year. Wish a quick recovery for him.

Loved the video. His skating is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

aftershocks

What a great finding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFB4AD04Ak Fumio Igarashi to Tchaikovsky's "R+J".
Yes, I remember seeing this performance recently (as a result of Frank's retirement and discussion about some of his former skaters). I wondered why I'd never seen this exciting performance before nor knew anything about Igarashi. It's probably because back-in-the-day, fs coverage was so limited and so many skaters' performances were chacked from tv broadcasts. :(

So another Japanese skater performed to R&J before Hanyu. :) Of course, Igarashi skated to the classical version, not to the famous R&J movie soundtrack.

Igarashi worked at Dentsu for a while after his retirement. He also worked in JSF as well as a commentator on NHK. And then he ran the cute owl cafe in Tokyo. It's a hearsay but he got sick and sadly he had to close his owl cafe last year. Wish a quick recovery for him.

Loved the video. His skating is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
It is gorgeous, indeed.

Spun Silver

Thank you for posting that. He is incredible. I'm in awe.

I could hardly recognize Frank with all that hair!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)