Why Supply Chains are Long, & Why People Are Not Going Back to Work

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I have gifted this article from the WaPo, so it should not be behind a paywall.

One thought this analysis has that I have not heard before is that many people seeking work are not finding it because resumes are now given their first review by software, not by people.

Complicating the job search for the long-term unemployed is the explosion of companies using robots to sort through job applicants, at least in the first round. This highly automated process excludes anyone who is not a near perfect fit on paper for a job. Nearly half of employers say they quickly reject candidates who haven’t worked in more than six months, according to a recent Harvard Business School study...

more than 90 percent of major employers now use automated screening of job applications.

Another issue not mentioned is that business owners are not adjusting their requirements to cope with the new labor market- and the application sorting robots just do what they did pre *********.

An interviewee says:
“The preeminent vibe I’m getting is the people hiring are desperate, but they are unwilling to adjust their expectations at all,” Wiles said.

And so they are not adjusting hours or allowing flexible schedules or allowing work from home options to help people with childcare issues or health safety concerns.

They are still not accepting those who have been unemployed for longer than six months, which these days, due to ***** is a lot. And they are not accepting people who are not a perfect fit, or who are inexperienced.

with all these jobs and all this competition, why are employers being so picky? Part of that is it just takes a long time for people to change the way they think," said Chris Hyams, chief executive of job site

In other news, the administration is presenting a plan on supply chains today.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I am seeing a lot more jobs that are fully or partially remote in the recruiter spam that I get. So some industries are adjusting.

I know that industries that hire people without degrees are having job fairs. Disney is having one right now. (I know some people who are being interviewed today.)

In my field, I have not had much luck with job fairs. It's too specialized.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Btw, if anyone out there is in a position described in the article, my suggestion from past experience is that if you are out of work for more than a few months, to put on your resume that you are self-employed. Either as a contractor or doing some kind of start-up/side hustle.

And make sure your resume has all the keywords. For example, if they are asking for experience using a certain product and you didn't use that product in your work life, take an online course on it and then list it on your resume under Education. You aren't lying at all and this will get you past the bot scanning your resume for keywords. Then the hiring manager can decide if the rest of your resume shows you can do the job and not some bot.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
In my area, job fairs are frequent. There is not enough housing to such an extent that the . largest section of my newspaper's classified ads is a large jobs insert. The insert used to be real estate.

The people I know who want a job but are not going back lack childcare, and/or are worrying about their kids who are too young to be vaccinated.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
So- Are any of you having problems with stores with empty shelves? I am not, so far.

I bought my fresh Christmas tree today, no problem. My paper had an article that said there is no shortage here, and they were right.

sk8pics

When I was shopping in the supermarket yesterday there were a ton of empty shelves. It seemed like more than a post-Thanksgiving thing. There were whole sections that were bare except for a couple of jars of this or that.

FiveRinger

I'm at the point where I believe in creating an opportunity for yourself if you can't find one. A few months ago I had considered working for myself. I'm the only one in my immediate family who doesn't. But, by complete coincidence and total humbug, I landed a great job with one of the utility companies. But I'm not interested in the rat race of applying for another job. If for some reason I find myself unemployed again I'll be making my own job. I've acquired a lot of skills over the last 25+ years of working. If I'm going to work myself to death, I might as well be working for myself. I'll never work harder for anyone else than I am willing to work for myself.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

And the supply chains for goods for Christmas are now fine.

However, there are bottlenecks in manufacturing supply chains.

Steel is short supply still

Semiconductor chips

And we cannot build enough silicon carbide wafers to meet demand:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And the supply chains for goods for Christmas are now fine.
That's what they said on the news today. That people should be able to get what they need to have a good question. We have simple needs as our kids are older and no longer asking for the latest foo that everyone wants so you can't find it. And we're having lasagna for dinner so that's not something that will be scarce like turkey and hams might be. But it's still good news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information