Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

jenny12

Thank goodness the jury did the right thing. This is a small step in the right direction. Defund the police! My thoughts are with the Floyd family and I feel gratitude to all the people who stood up and continue to stand up and demand justice! Black Lives Matter!

Also, I must commend Keith Ellison for his dedication to getting justice for George Floyd.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

I’m a bit confused .. guilty of third degree murder?

Of 3 counts -

Count 1
The second-degree unintentional murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd’s death “without intent” while committing or attempting to commit felony third-degree assault. In turn, third-degree assault is defined as the intentional infliction of substantial bodily harm.
GUILTY

count 2
The third-degree murder charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd’s death by “perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life.”
GUILTY

Count 3
The second-degree manslaughter charge alleges Chauvin caused Floyd’s death by “culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm.”
GUILTY

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Apparently Joe Biden plans to address the nation after the verdict comes down. I can't tell you how grateful I am that the tone of this administration is so different than the one that just left.
Absolutely. I think it makes a massive difference to the tone of the country and also how it comes across to the world.

I would hate to think how Trump would have responded.

I wonder what police who subscribe to the way Chauvin behaved are now going to do that one of their kind has been held to account.

FiveRinger

I'm stunned that he was stunned. I figured the best he could hope for was a hung jury and when that clearly didn't happen, to not get guilt on the most serious charge.
I'm more incredulous he's shocked. He really and truly believed he was going to get away with it.

Now let's see what his sentence is. Does anyone know when the sentencing will be?

DFJ

I'm more incredulous he's shocked. He really and truly believed he was going to get away with it.

Now let's see what his sentence is. Does anyone know when the sentencing will be?

Judge said sentencing in 8 weeks.

I presume the defence will appeal. Will Chauvin get bail pending the appeal?

MacMadame

Staying at home

The news says in Minnesota, there isn't allowed to be a lot of discretion and it should be 12.5 years unless the judges finds some extenuating circumstances to tack a few more years on

FiveRinger

The judge said sentencing will be in 8 weeks.
He truly deserves the maximum sentence, whatever that is. I don't know how the judge figures that out, I have no idea.

I'm sure he'll spend most of his time isolated. He won't make it through the first week if he's put with the general population. Can you imagine how many prisoners he had a part in putting behind bars?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I guess I'm old. To me convicting someone of a crime they committed is justice. But according to FB its not, its "accountability" and justice will only be when there is not one instance of injustice anywhere in the world.

"This verdict is welcomed, but it is not justice. Justice would be rebuilding this entire system to ensure that what happened to George Floyd and countless others never happens again."

I mean, I want to work toward that but I still think its fair to say that justice was served today. And people should be able to feel a sense of something positive. And it really is positive, despite how far we have to go.

Sparks

He truly deserves the maximum sentence, whatever that is. I don't know how the judge figures that out, I have no idea.

I'm sure he'll spend most of his time isolated. He won't make it through the first week if he's put with the general population. Can you imagine how many prisoners he had a part in putting behind bars?
A PSR (Presentencing report) has to be written.
It will supply the judge with the sentencing guidelines and a recommendation for the amount of days/years to be served.
The judge could decide to level the maximum sentence(s) and also decide if those years are to be served consecutively or concurrently.

demetriosj

I was listening to someone on the news saying that cities are preparing for riots regardless of the verdict. That makes me wonder WHY someone would riot in support of Chauvin??!! I mean, you might have wished he'd get off, but if anyone saw that video they would HAVE to see that a guilty verdict is not really something to get all riotous about. Right?

No one thinks anyone would riot in support of Chauvin!!! There are worries that the rioters and looters will still do their thing even though Chauvin was found guilty.

Judy

Absolutely. I think it makes a massive difference to the tone of the country and also how it comes across to the world.

I would hate to think how Trump would have responded.

I wonder what police who subscribe to the way Chauvin behaved are now going to do that one of their kind has been held to account.
Oh Trump would have done nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information