Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I just learned that the 2nd degree unintentional murder holds the stiffest penalty.
oh huh, ah I see now, the other choices are 3rd degree murder or 2nd degree manslaughter which is less than murder?

So those who feel Chauvin acted with intent would want murder even if its unintentional murder?

FiveRinger

I might be putting my foot in my mouth, but I really hope that the jury knew he was guilty and spent their time trying to determine which charges or combination of charges he was guilty of.

Last edited:

ErikWilliam

I was listening to someone on the news saying that cities are preparing for riots regardless of the verdict. That makes me wonder WHY someone would riot in support of Chauvin??!! I mean, you might have wished he'd get off, but if anyone saw that video they would HAVE to see that a guilty verdict is not really something to get all riotous about. Right?

caseyedwards

I was listening to someone on the news saying that cities are preparing for riots regardless of the verdict. That makes me wonder WHY someone would riot in support of Chauvin??!! I mean, you might have wished he'd get off, but if anyone saw that video they would HAVE to see that a guilty verdict is not really something to get all riotous about. Right?
They are just saying that to be PC. They know there will onli be riots if there is not guilty or guilty of lowest charge only.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I don't think anyone would riot against a guilty verdict; but I would anticipate strong feelings if all of the charges do not get a guilty verdict. Even in the best case scenario - there will likely be a combination of celebrating and expressing feelings of the centuries of injustice that precede today.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
I really think they must have found him guilty - hopefully all counts. If there were one or more hold outs on the jury, I think the judge would encourage them to continue deliberation longer than just this one day to try to come to a unanimous verdict. That's my non-expert theory anyway...

ETA: For sure not a hung jury per reporters. (I am trying to catch all this between work appointments! How dare work get in the way of things today!)

ETA2: I wonder how many people across the world have watched all or part of this trial? I hope this trial raises awareness and prompts real change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information