Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

demetriosj

She was in bed ASLEEP when they started breaking down the door. The fact that this woke her up so she wasn't technically asleep when she was shot is a meaningless detail that changes nothing.

Ok, then stop saying she was sleeping. And don't ignore the fact the her boyfriend was shooting at the police when she came out into the hall. The police weren't firing back defensively at air. The whole incident is tragic.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Ok, then stop saying she was sleeping. And don't ignore the fact the her boyfriend was shooting at the police when she came out into the hall. The police weren't firing back defensively at air. The whole incident is tragic.
Yes it is tragic. Stop trying to politicise it then and contradicting people. Maybe just say "okay" nicely and move on.

MacMadame

Staying at home
And don't ignore the fact the her boyfriend was shooting at the police when she came out into the hall.
He was shooting at home invaders from his POV. Btw, they accused him of shooting one of the police but when they investigated, it turned out they couldn't prove it was his bullet that hit the guy. It's quite possible the officer was hit by so-called friendly fire.

This is the sort of thing that turns even middle-class moderate people into anti-police people.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
CBS News interviewed Kenneth Walker and he discussed details from that night:

He said he went to the door when he actually heard police outside because he thought it was them responding to his 911 call. You can hear him in the police video saying "What's happening?!?!?" to the police commands because he doesn't understand the circumstances.

MichaelK

He was shooting at home invaders from his POV. Btw, they accused him of shooting one of the police but when they investigated, it turned out they couldn't prove it was his bullet that hit the guy. It's quite possible the officer was hit by so-called friendly fire.

This is the sort of thing that turns even middle-class moderate people into anti-police people.
It is undisputed that Breonna Taylor's boyfriend fired at the police first which was the reason why they fired back, which then caused Breonna's tragic death. Whether or not the police officer was hit by the boyfriend or by another police officer is rather irrelevant here.

tony

It is undisputed that Breonna Taylor's boyfriend fired at the police first which was the reason why they fired back, which then caused Breonna's tragic death. Whether or not the police officer was hit by the boyfriend or by another police officer is rather irrelevant here.
The bigger question is whether the police announced themselves. Why don’t we know this for sure on their end? Why are there not recordings released that clear the police? The neighbors ALL initially said they did not. One suspiciously changed their story afterwards.

That is a huge question. For all these pro-gun activists, not one of the few of you super Conservatives on this board can tell me that you wouldn’t have reacted in the same was as her boyfriend. But I will await the excuses or the assumptions that will be attempted as fact.

once_upon

Yeah, where are the stand you ground peeps. Someone was breaking into your home, waking you from a sleep (and I assume a sound sleep).

Don't the stand your ground peeps say "I can shoot in my home, if I'm threatened"?

MichaelK

The bigger question is whether the police announced themselves. Why don’t we know this for sure on their end? Why are there not recordings released that clear the police? The neighbors ALL initially said they did not. One suspiciously changed their story afterwards.

That is a huge question. For all these pro-gun activists, not one of the few of you super Conservatives on this board can tell me that you wouldn’t have reacted in the same was as her boyfriend. But I will await the excuses or the assumptions that will be attempted as fact.
If no recording exists we will never know for sure. And yes, the reaction of the boyfriend in such a stressful situation is understandable, and he was not charged for shooting at the police. And it is also true that if there were stricter gun laws in the US, the boyfriend might not have had access to a firearm and Breonna would probably still be alive.

MacMadame

Staying at home
And yes, the reaction of the boyfriend in such a stressful situation is understandable, and he was not charged for shooting at the police. And it is also true that if there were stricter gun laws in the US, the boyfriend might not have had access to a firearm and Breonna would probably still be alive.
He WAS charged for shooting at them. The charges were dropped eventually but the police were concentrating on arresting him and looking for non-existent evidence of drug trafficking instead of giving Taylor life-saving aid.

But sure it's all the boyfriend's fault she is dead. The police didn't do anything wrong. (sarcasm)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
We have an incident in DC that is generating protests. Police pursued a young black man on a moped allegedly because he wasn't wearing a helmet. He collided with a car and was killed.

To me this is the key point:

Two city officials with knowledge of the investigation said no conclusions have been made, but an initial review of police body camera video appears to show the officers were pursuing Hylton. Police officers in the District are not allowed to pursue vehicles involved in traffic infractions.

:mad:

Police may have pursued moped before fatal crash, officials say. (Washington Post)

Lorac

MsZem

Susan1

I love how conservative repeat this technicality like it actually means something.

She was in bed ASLEEP when they started breaking down the door. The fact that this woke her up so she wasn't technically asleep when she was shot is a meaningless detail that changes nothing.
Yeah, that's like when my aunt called me at 2 a.m. when my mom was sick and said "I knew you'd be up". Well, I wasn't until the phone rang. Obviously I am now.

Fiero425

Fiero425

God damn it. 😞

We need to learn not to be surprised! Cops have gotten away with shooting each other in the back! Undercover cops have been vicously shot in the back by other cops, but they just say "whoops" and move on! It can't be egregious enough for them to say "oh, I fk'd up!" Never happens even when seen over and over again on video! It's "a shame" that the country has to live with along with other heinous acts in our retched history! :confused:

Fiero425

We need to learn not to be surprised! Cops have gotten away with shooting each other in the back! Undercover cops have been vicously shot in the back by other cops, but they just say "whoops" and move on! It can't be egregious enough for them to say "oh, I fk'd up!" Never happens even when seen over and over again on video! It's "a shame" that the country has to live with along with other heinous acts in our retched history! How we point fingers at other countries' injustices is unfathonable to me! :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information