Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

Sparks

Sorry what proof do you have that the civil unrest was a consequence of the lockdown? Up to this point the only people protesting the lockdown were those self-entitled twats who couldn't get a haircut or buy lawn fertiliser. According to the surveys I have seen most people from both political sides support the lockdown.
Would we have civil unrest without the murder of George Floyd and police brutality? No.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Seriously, why does it always come down to which political party someone is coming from? If you can't see that Trump HIMSELF is fueling the fire by staying out of it, then using selective words, then redacting it, then telling Governors in a phone conversation essentially the same thing he said in his initial Tweets- some of you need to have your own heads examined.

There's always going to be that one person (group) that thinks they are being sneaky/deceiving by doing something that stirs the pot for the other side, and I most certainly don't think all Liberals are saints.

But at the end of the day, you have a National leader whom many idiots will listen to with each and every ounce of their beings. This may not be where the problems started, but since he's taken office, he's sure as hell given plenty of narrow-minded morons the ability to think their unbelievable hatred is acceptable. THE END.
Absolutely - totally agree.

PRlady

Bowser has been great thru the last few months. She should have called the curfew earlier but word is the Secret Service said no (no idea why.) But she’s been a great leader during the crud and is respected in every part of town. Nobody is yelling at her to re-open faster except Bunker Boy.

My friends belong to St Johns and it was abasement fire quickly put out. We have got a small number of rioters and looters and tons of good people protesting. But my own pharmacy is closed with smashed windows and upper northwest, where the rich white people live, got hit hard. I’m glad we have a 7 PM curfew the next three nights.

Tony Wheeler

Would we have civil unrest without the murder of George Floyd and police brutality? No.
It depends what you mean by that. The protests were already happening, of course only by a select few. But they were there. But after a while, a lot of people seemed to give up with their whole preaching of telling everyone to stay at home and they were doing their own things anyways. I wrote about it a lot in the last few weeks, long before this incident happened. People near the beaches are going on rants how other cities allow people to be packed onto a beach but areas like Miami haven't even opened the beaches at all.

I've been much more moody and vocal lately because I'm not working and I have more time to keep up with all of this. I'm sure people in general have magnified emotions when they don't have much else to do.

Susan1

Happening now -

I turned on the t.v. to check the weather. A woman was kneeling in the street and a line of cops had taken off their helmets and stuff and were kneeling across from her. I can't explain it, but I got chills. A cop came over and hugged a black kid. Apparently, the cop is the school's resource officer and they knew each other. More later............

p.s. DeWine is supposed to have a ***** update tomorrow. Hm. They already had people banging on the windows of the State House because they wanted the stay at home to end. Imagine what people will do now.

p.s. 2 I just remembered this - “no justice, no peace,” on the signs? I saw "know justice, know peace" on a sign during the Dayton protest yesterday. Profound.

Last edited:

Tony Wheeler

The people who are protesting now are not the same people who were protesting against the lockdown. Far from it.
There are also a ton of people who didn't protest and still packed into places or had big gatherings, ignoring all suggestions and regulations given even by Trump at first, who will never ever vote for him.

And before these new protests even started, people continued to do so in larger numbers.

PRlady

Looking at how the US police seem to be armed to the gills, I can see why there is no money for healthcare, clean water, education....
Military surplus, we had a lot left over from Iraq and Afghanistan and lots of police like to play soldier.

I don't think "Democrats" as in Democratic leadership has had any such plans. I have seen comments from individual Democrats making cheerleader type comments about taking on riot police. I want to say to them that black people will lose that battle everyday of the week. Not even trained militias can take on the full on battle gear of the US military and police paramilitary.
Agreed. I don’t think the Dems were looking for this at all, the older ones remember Nixon winning on law and order. I’m afraid at the end of this round of protests too many African-Americans will be too mad and demoralised to come out to vote. I remember as a small child instinctively believing black people were dangerous; that’s what I saw on TV during the ‘65 and ‘68 riots. And some of that instinct is going to send some scared white people scurrying back to Trump.

Tony Wheeler

NOT. THE. POINT.
Please don't get caught up in the weeds.
Listen, I am all for the protests currently happening. I'm shutting down just about every ignorant, racist hater I can find on social media. I can't stand Trump. Etc. But emotions were VERY heightened prior to the events of the last week. People all over the country were getting agitated that things are still staying closed while neighboring cities/states/whatever is back to 'normal'. Maybe not here at FSU, but there were MANY articles published and many instances on social media that highlighted 'when people get tired of staying home', or things along those lines. Long before the events of this week I probably told the story 5 times of how they tried to open a part of the park here and issued 9,000 citations in a TINY little park in one weekend because people wanted to ignore distancing and wearing masks. It's been building.

I'm actually agreeing with Louis that Trump was probably waiting for something huge to happen to let all hell break loose. He couldn't have known what it was going to be, but he's like the kid that steals something from the teachers desk and then sits back while everyone fights with each other about who probably did it, all while knowing that's going to happen in the first place. And sorry to say, this feeds into the narrative he's already established for a long time. He's probably thrilled that his supporters have another reason to discriminate.

ballettmaus

There are also a ton of people who didn't protest and still packed into places or had big gatherings, ignoring all suggestions and regulations given even by Trump at first, who will never ever vote for him.

And before these new protests even started, people continued to do so in larger numbers.
The people who protest now are not protesting the lockdown nor are they the ones who protested the lockdown before. I don't know if they ignored the SIP orders or not and I don't really care. That's not why they're out there right now. They are out there now to protest racism. I think that's all that matters and anything else is just noise that distracts from how bad racism is in this country and how bad police brutality motivated by racism is.

Last edited:

Sparks

The people who protest now are not protesting the lockdown nor are they the ones who protested the lockdown before. I don't know if they ignored the SIP orders or not and I don't really care. That's not why they're out there right now. They are out there now to protest racism. I think that's all that matters and anything else is just noise that distracts from how bad racism is in this country and how bad police brutality motivated by racism is.
Right. It's like comparing pork chops to apples.

Susan1

Misc. p.s.'s - the kid, Alex, wants to be a cop. The reporter said a cop just told a person they were holding their sign upside down, to turn it right side up!

Protest just started in Centerville, more upscale city. They are gathered at the park next to the police department. Every single person there so far is white. They are going to march to the center of town.

Tony Wheeler

The people who protest now are not protesting the lockdown nor are they the ones who protested the lockdown before. I don't know if they ignored the SIP orders or not and I don't really care. They are out there now to protest racism. I think that's all that matters and anything else is just noise to distract from how bad racism is in this country and how bad police brutality motivated by racism is.
I'm quite aware that the gun-slinging, MAGA-wearing people are not the ones who are now protesting the racism issues. I'm quite aware the Trump's response to the protests has been disgustingly opposite.

SIP is beyond frustrating for a lot of people. People who have lost their jobs, people in Florida who spend hours trying to get unemployment only for the site to crash or tell them they are ineligible (I'm sure this is happening in other states as well), people who are extreme extroverts who feel that taking away the beach or the gym is taking away all of their rights, etc. People are on edge for a lot of reasons and just because they weren't among the gun-slingers doesn't mean they weren't feeling some kind of something. It doesn't mean people never cared or never wanted to stand up for their rights. Maybe, just maybe, this anger and frustration and the amount of time that people typically don't have is what's leading to these huge, powerful numbers of protestors and if it leads to the beginning of the big changes this country needs and/or helps ensure Trump will not be there next year.

once_upon

New condo owner
I've read polls that when asked 60% or greater say they aren't ready to go out restaurants, bars, shops, etc now that stay at home restrictions are being lifted. So while some that is part of the protests, I dont believe it is. Interviews I've heard people said that despite concerns over YKW this police action was too violent and too much for people and they need to be there.

Trump is racist, hate filled man (boy) always has been. He is fueling the fires. He wants to declare a military state, Barr is his accomplice.

Spikefan

Democrats were making headway with those 65+, there is no way they wanted this to happen. I have several relatives that were done with Republicans but now they are worried about riots and looters. It will be very easy to sway them with “law and order” policies. Never mind such tactics are one of the reasons why we are where we are today.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I do wonder what this situation would have been without the *****. I am sure the protests would be a lot bigger.

victorskid

Happily ignoring pontificators & know-it-alls
Things are getting quite "testy" in Washington with increased police/military presence - advancing on the peaceful protesters and setting off tear gas just as "Bunker Boy" is about to make a statement in the Rose Garden.....

meggonzo

Just watched this -

"The independent examiners found that weight on the back, handcuffs and positioning were contributory factors because they impaired the ability of Floyd's diaphragm to function, according to the report."

First degree murder for all of them.
They would never get convictions on first degree murder charges.

topaz

Democrats were making headway with those 65+, there is no way they wanted this to happen. I have several relatives that were done with Republicans but now they are worried about riots and looters. It will be very easy to sway them with “law and order” policies. Never mind such tactics are one of the reasons why we are where we are today.
@Spikefan - I completely agree that many folks who the act of riots and looting will be a determining factor for them to vote for GOP. However, if you know any, please remind them that not all protesters are looting and rioting in a destructive manner. If they truly want "law and order" then white voters need to stand with POC. If folks were treated humanely, you wouldn't see several unrest.

Also, remind them the civil rights movement from 1880 to recent have all involved VIOLENCE. Melissa Harris Perry said this on Twitter:
The Civil Rights Movement was not non-violent. Black protesters used strategies of non-violent direct action. And at every point they were met with brutal white supremacist, state violence and death. That -ish was not peaceful! It was painful, bloody, horrific

Susan1

trump is coming out to the rose garden. they are setting off tear gas in the park. is he going to be wearing a gas mask. geez.

Well, he almost sounded presidential for about 3 minutes.

The tear gas was to clear people out so he could have a photo op at the burned church. Sick, sick, sick.

Last edited:

topaz

I have to say that seeing the protests all over world has warmed my heart. The huge protest/march in New Zealand and Ireland was nice to see. Also, in countries like France and UK which have their own racist history of injustice and continued racist policies. However, the artist mural in Syria... no words.

victorskid

Happily ignoring pontificators & know-it-alls
He just said he is an ally of the peaceful protesters!!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information