Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
The scenes in this thread are just unbelievable.

And some of the comments are spot on.

And here's another example:

But then there are scenes like this:

Erin

Democrats: Everyone must cower at home. Except if you're looting, destroying businesses, and otherwise inciting violence. In which case go out. Police should arrest anyone without a mask. Except if they're looting, in which case it's fine. My suspicions re: the true reasons behind the lockdown have been entirely confirmed.

I really hope every Democrat cheering these "protests" has their house burned down, looted, and ends up penniless on the street.
To use your own words, my my, what a model of empathy.

I'm pretty exhausted and there have been a lot of emotions in the last week, so I am probably not going to be the most articulate at the moment. But I feel like there is so much wrong with this post that needs to be addressed. And I'll mostly speak for Minnesota, as right now, I've had little energy to pay attention to anywhere else.

1. I don't feel like I personally or most people I know have been cowering at home during the *********. I do feel like I have been cowering at home during the last 72 hours, at least at night (well, we have been required to the last two nights due to a curfew, but I would be even if we weren't). I can really tell the difference now that I've been doing the latter.

2. I don't know if it is clear from the national media, but there have been many, many protests that have stayed peaceful and not turned into looting or rioting. My neighbourhood has had protests the last three nights and has, so far, been fortunate to be basically untouched. I don't love that these protests are probably going to cause a spike in CV cases (selfishly, the longer it takes us to get things under control here, the longer it will be before Canada will remove its 14 day quarantine requirement and I can see my family again), but I do support their right to protest. Peacefully.

3. Minnesota has been on a path to open up before the protests began. Even while the stay at home order was still in effect, several businesses that had not originally been considered essential were being allowed to open up, as the focus was on businesses that were considered safe to be open. Restaurants were scheduled to be open on June 1. So the message has not been "stay home, but it's OK to loot" - neither part of that statement is accurate.

4. While I'm not thrilled with our governor right now, his position on peaceful protesting has been pretty consistent - during the "open up Minnesota" protests, our governor said that he 100% supported people's right to protest but he hoped they would do it safely.

5. I don't even want to get into the whole "arrested for not wearing a mask" thing but it seems like you are making a gross false equivalency.

6. I don't think that the governor of Minnesota or the mayors of Minneapolis or St. Paul have done a good job in responding to the looting and arson so far, but it is also clear that they are not condoning it at all. They are simply not up to the job.

7. In order to attempt to control the violence, there have measures that I would have thought that you as a freedom-lover would have problems with, like curfews and super-enhanced military presence. I personally am disturbed by the number of times I have seen journalists being arrested in the past 48 hours.

This whole situation has been extremely stressful for residents of the Twin Cities (and I'm sure other cities where it is now also going on) and I don't even feel like I have the right to complain, especially after having been to the neighbourhood that saw the worst of the devastation this afternoon. There is probably more to say, but I think I'm running out of coherent thoughts so I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Cachoo

The scenes in this thread are just unbelievable.

And some of the comments are spot on.

And here's another example:

But then there are scenes like this:

I think of the National Guard more useful in natural disasters. Clearly they are not what is needed in this situation. In fact they are exactly what is NOT needed in this situation.

Susan1

I think of the National Guard more useful in natural disasters. Clearly they are not what is needed in this situation. In fact they are exactly what is NOT needed in this situation.
The National Guard was here helping give out food at food banks for awhile. Quite a difference.

Downtown Dayton's curfew is 7 p.m. tonight. Roads in are blocked. There were 36 arrests last night, mostly curfew, but they are still looking for people they can charge for the vandalism and stuff. Lily's, that got a brick through their window last night, boarded it up and has written the names of all those killed on it. They were giving hamburgers, hot dogs and water to protesters.

Cincinnati has "curfewed" the whole city starting at 9 tonight.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am just astounded at what is going on. Thank you for those posting links and updates. Everyone please stay safe.

Lest I be accused of not knowing what is going on in my own country or simplifying this, I am actually not surprised that it has got to this point. Since Trump became president there has been nothing but division and anger in the country. This is culmination of the last 3 1/2 years of his lack of leadership but also pointing blame, encouraging hatred and racism and enabling self-entitlement. It has been like watching the wick on a powder keg. I think it unfortunately eventually had to lead to something pretty dramatic (which is an understatement).

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I really hope every Democrat cheering these "protests" has their house burned down, looted, and ends up penniless on the street.
Really, Louis? Don't EVER complain again about things other posters here wish on others.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Omaha, which has a Republican mayor (and our state has a total Trump toady for governor), has never had a shelter in place order.

We have an 8 pm curfew for the next three days.

once_upon

New condo owner
From the mayor and police chief press conference. 51 arrests from the riots (ie not protest). Some from out state, some white. Not releasing name of suspect who shot and killed a 22 year man. Has NOT gotten bail as previously reported charges are yet undetermined. (I suspect if there isnt at least a manslaughter the protests/riots will get more intense). Videos are all over the internet of shooting.
Curfew at 8 pm until 7 am for next 72 hours.

Across the river, curfew for same hours. The 100 Block (similar concept as Old Market) is reportedly going to be a site for riots (not protests, advertised as riots on Facebook postings). My church is on the corner-ive been told actions have been taken to board up stained glass windows.

This is gonna be a long summer.

If I was the RNC, I would take lessons from Democratic Convention 1968 and pursue virtual conference. But no one ever said Trump was smart

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Really, Louis? Don't EVER complain again about things other posters here wish on others.
This is Louis - what, you expected him to change from the last 20 or more years where the rest of us were supposed to be grateful to have the opportunity to venerate his expert posts much less breathe his rarefied air if we were in his presence?????

Pardon my snark but the hits at teachers and anyone else who is not as brilliant as he is (in his own mind) have become tiresome. The living antithesis of us all being in this together.

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

In Camden, NJ, Flint, MN, and some other cities, the cops in their regular uniforms (not riot gear) joined the protestors.

And guess what? I'm those places, there were protests, not riots.

Any smart police department should attempt to do likewise.

caseyedwards

White House officials are telling media trump was very cowardly had himself moved to bunker friday. That he shouldn’t be president anymore. White House officials!!!

once_upon

New condo owner
Since I have been seeing lots of pictures of protests across the US and in some cases across the world of crowds, many not wearing masks, protesting I imagine someone who has been advocating for herd immunity will find out if that can be accomplished.

Seriously I am worried about how our healthcare system will be able to handle this.

Also we have planes and copters circling around us. I imagine if ground zero is where it was last night, we will have circling air traffic all night.

In a weird but wft moment. Omaha Police Headquarters is about 3 blocks from Omaha Public Power District. It's pretty clear from broken windows as well as graffiti that rioters confused OPPD (electric company) with OPD (police).

Sparks

Secret Service took President Trump to an underground bunker for a "very short period" Friday night during protests outside White House. Same one used by former VP Cheney during the 9/11 attacks.

🎼He had it coming 🎶

sk9tingfan

Secret Service took President Trump to an underground bunker for a "very short period" Friday night during protests outside White House. Same one used by former VP Cheney during the 9/11 attacks.

🎼He had it coming 🎶
Good, he's scared. He ought to be. Maybe someone handed him some cyanide?

once_upon

New condo owner
Police just told protesters it's an unlawful action they have 10 minutes to disperse before police action is taken. Small planes circling overhead

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
My village had a Black Lives Matter protest today. Entirely peaceful, hundreds of people walked around the ponds downtown. My village has about 8,000 people in it, so having hundreds of people come out for anything except the Cheese Festival (yes, Cheese Festival) is impressive. One business had boarded up their windows in preparation; otherwise, it was all business as normal, plus protest.

meggonzo

One of my friends was on the bridge when a tanker truck tried to run over a crowd of people. I come here to check in and have to read about a whiny brat complaining about having nothing to do at home. Time for ignore.

sk9tingfan

Two Atlanta police officers fired and three placed on desk duty. Video showed one of the students getting dragged from car, while the driver, who remained behind the wheel, was tased and then pulled out.

Susan1

I keep forgetting to mention - I wonder what people are saying to the cops who started all this.

FiveRinger

Good, he's scared. He ought to be. Maybe someone handed him some cyanide?
I was hoping that someone buried him in that bunker. I might be in the minority, but I prefer his silence. If he’s not talking that means that he’s not saying anything stupid or divisive.

Seriously, my father and I had a conversation this evening. I’m fully expecting him to try to save his election by issuing another stimulus sometime within the next few weeks as a way to buy votes. No one is happy with him right now, including members of his own administration.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Here in my little corner of the Keystone state, Bethlehem and Allentown had protests yesterday. The Bethlehem one gathered in the rose garden half a mile from my home, but I had never heard of it and was elsewhere, so I could not watch or participate. Peaceful, no issues, no conflict, walking and chanting and protesting. No violence, no arrests.

The Allentown one was actually smaller, and the march organizers lined up between the protesters and the police officers (not that there were many) to calm any tensions.

The local reporter who covered the protests tweeted:

Dobre

In Camden, NJ, Flint, MN, and some other cities, the cops in their regular uniforms (not riot gear) joined the protestors.

And guess what? I'm those places, there were protests, not riots.

Any smart police department should attempt to do likewise.
Portland has been having large, peaceful protests during the days. (From what I can tell, the police force has been trying to be supportive. There were lots of quotes from officers in support of Mr. Floyd's family & the protests the first day, and then the kneeling with the protesters today). But at night, the city keeps struggling with looting & the destruction of property. So it's not either/or, I don't think. It's such a shame because the message from the daytime protests has been quite a powerful one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information