Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

snoopy

This whole week has been full of "you know this is being filmed, right?", and still, STILL, the deeply ingrained racism of this country makes people think they are going to be just fine. In the case of Chauvin, it's because he's gotten away with it many times already.
I think's its that and I also wonder if the cops assumed the phone video wouldn't get as much detail as it did and they could play it off as a heart attack or an accident. I saw one of the different angles of the shot and they were all so calm. These were four sizable men with guns, they had lots of options, but they were just waiting him out until he died. I think they were trying to kill him.

CaliSteve

Agreed.

My sense -- again, from the perspective of a white woman, so take it for what it's worth -- is that people of color and especially black men have experienced this kind of suspicion and fear from law enforcement for many generations.

So I would ask, is the incidence of violence by police officers against black suspects indeed increasing recently? Did it go down at some point and is now again on the rise?

Or is it more that it's easier to share information now so knowledge of each incident doesn't get buried in the local press or not even there, but rather spread across the country and beyond by word of mouth/social media?

And people -- e.g., the Black Lives Matter movement -- are more likely speak out against each incident and draw attention by mainstream media.

Possibly all of the above.

I'd be interested in the statistics over time, and also by ethnicity of victims and of officers perpetrating the violent acts.
Technology.

Sparks

The charging document for Chauvin says he kept his knee on the neck of George Floyd for 2 minutes and 43 seconds after Floyd was unresponsive.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I think's its that and I also wonder if the cops assumed the phone video wouldn't get as much detail as it did and they could play it off as a heart attack or an accident. I saw one of the different angles of the shot and they were all so calm. These were four sizable men with guns, they had lots of options, but they were just waiting him out until he died. I think they were trying to kill him.

This is what I keep circling back to. This wasn't some wild, out of control, gone too far incident. The absence of emotion really makes this video different from other videos we've seen.

When I heard they worked together in the same club...I dunno, I just get a bad feeling about this situation.

FiveRinger

This is what I keep circling back to. This wasn't some wild, out of control, gone too far incident. The absence of emotion really makes this video different from other videos we've seen.

When I heard they worked together in the same club...I dunno, I just get a bad feeling about this situation.
When I think about it too hard I get mad all over.

CNN interviewed the club owner that Floyd and Chauvin both worked for. Several times she talked about how Chauvin was a quiet guy, but he had a tendency to overreact anytime there were African American people involved in an incident. She said that all of the police officers were trained to call for back up when black people had disagreements, altercations, etc. even if it wasn’t warranted, and when they were called, 5 cars would show up. Latino clubbers were not treated that way, according to her. She was stunned that Chauvin, who she described as a quiet guy, would do such a horrible thing.

She also said that everyone loved Floyd, that he was well respected in the neighborhood and that he didn’t deserve this. She also said that she didn’t think that the two men knew each other but admitted that she didn’t want to think about the implications if they had known each other.

Keep in mind that this club owner had events for both black and brown (her words) people. She was adamant about the differences shown between Latino and African American people p by the police department. She said that her club hosted African American events twice a week. She is Latina, or had a Latina surname.

Everytime I see that video, and I see Chauvin with his knee on that man’s neck with his hands in his pockets I see red. This is someone who just didn’t care. This is someone who is callous and looks like he’s done this kind of thing repeatedly. I wouldn’t be surprised since he had more than a dozen complaints filed again him with the Minneapolis Police Department. He should have been fired years ago! But Chauvin had 19 years of service.... a seasoned prick! If this hadn’t been recorded he’d still be walking his beat, doing what he does. Not surprising since the prosecutor, during his press conference, talked about how much experience there office had with this kind of thing—prosecuting officers. As if that’s something to be proud of. He was an a**hole too. I got the impression that he had been heavily pressured into this arrest, but the tipping point was the protesters in front of his own house. His tone was horrible. He was not a person who was sincerely remorseful at all.

Susan1

DeWine apparently had a press conference about this today, "vowing to take action".

There is going to be a "peaceful protest" in downtown Dayton tomorrow, put on by the same group who counter-protested when the KKK was here. With social distancing, and masks will be provided. Oh boy. In front of the Federal Building, not Courthouse Square.

FiveRinger

And let’s not forget that the police immediately arrested an AA male member of the press on live television even after he identified himself, but they didn’t arrest the officer that killed an unarmed man for 4 days. And no one told him why he was arrested! Ok....

Susan1

And let’s not forget that the police immediately arrested an AA male member of the press on live television even after he identified himself, but they didn’t arrest the officer that killed an unarmed man for 4 days. And no one told him why he was arrested! Ok....
I saw it live and it absolutely, positively should never have happened, but to be totally honest, he had on gray sweats with a torn pocket and a gray ball cap. Not exactly CNN reporter attire. And they must have been totally stressed out with what all was going on. Not an excuse, just a symptom. The other guys were as casually dressed. Somebody could have faked the ID. They should have taken them aside, not arrested them. I love that they were recording it all. I've seen the apologies all day. Did the cops get officially reprimanded or anything? Nobody bothered the white CNN reporter that was around the corner. They should all be required to wear network jackets or vests or hats like police and FBI do.

And then there's https://www.yahoo.com/news/heres-fox-news-covered-cnn-153356740.html

FiveRinger

I saw it live and it absolutely, positively should never have happened, but to be totally honest, he had on gray sweats with a torn pocket and a gray ball cap. Not exactly CNN reporter attire. And they must have been totally stressed out with what all was going on. Not an excuse, just a symptom. The other guys were as casually dressed. Somebody could have faked the ID. They should have taken them aside, not arrested them. I love that they were recording it all. I've seen the apologies all day. Did the cops get officially reprimanded or anything? Nobody bothered the white CNN reporter that was around the corner. They should all be required to wear network jackets or vests or hats like police and FBI do.

And then there's https://www.yahoo.com/news/heres-fox-news-covered-cnn-153356740.html
If I were Omar Jimenez, the reporter, I’d have taken a sick day to find a lawyer. Those fake ass apologies are supposed to placate him just enough not to sue their asses. Get Benjamin Crump on the line.....I need a referral!

snoopy

The CNN reporter wasn’t wearing sweats. He had on gray slacks and a sweater. And he was with a crew and $40k worth of video equipment. And I didn’t see any torn pocket, just his CNN badge hanging off his pants.

Sparks

Plus, he showed his credentials! The camera people kept saying he was with CNN.
A pox on them all.

Susan1

The CNN reporter wasn’t wearing sweats. He had on gray slacks and a sweater. And he was with a crew and $40k worth of video equipment. And I didn’t see any torn pocket, just his CNN badge hanging off his pants.
O.k. - it just looked like sweats to me and maybe something was hanging out of his back pocket? The badge was in the front. It was terrible. I know the only reason they did it was because he was black and they weren't going to take his word for it. I'd still go with the identifying jacket or hat or vest. They carted off his producer and cameraman too.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I'd still go with the identifying jacket or hat or vest. They carted off his producer and cameraman too.
He has his press credentials hanging from his neck in plain sight and so did all of his crew. That should have been plenty.

Susan1

Live on CNN - protesters attacking the building in Atlanta. Why CNN?

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Btw, the protest in San Jose looked like it was going to turn violent but around a bit of bottle-throwing (at the police) and bean bag shooting (at the protesters) it looks like people are dispersing and it's all dying down.

FiveRinger

I'm watching CNN and I'm seeing the riots on Los Angeles. Everyone is pissed tf off, understatement.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I may have spoken too soon too about San Jose. There is now tear gas being fired here and there.

The Fox2 anchor said that a protester and a police officer were having an animated conversation and there was bodily contact (not clear how that happened) which resulted in the protester being arrested. That is when other protesters saw that, they started throwing things. Which led to the bean bags.

So right now it's empty around City Hall but there are still protesters and the police are forcing them west. But there looks like maybe 25-50% of the people there were when I first posted? (based on aerial shots)

FiveRinger

CNN is reporting that the curfew in Minneapolis is not being enforced, that there is no police presence at all. Both National guard, no law enforcement at all. And there is still burning.

FiveRinger

God bless the media. I used to think I wanted to be a journalist. I couldn't handle this. I'm praying that they, and everyone else, stays safe. If not for the media and brave citizens reporting, we'd be clueless. As Will Smith said, paraphrasing slightly, police brutality against blacks isn't stopping, but recording them has started. There is nowhere for racist cops to hide.

I'm in St Louis, and I worked in the same zip code as the protests in Ferguson at that time. It scared the hell out of me then and I was not a participant of any of the protests. I'm scared for the protesters and the journalists. It's too late to wish it away, but I hope whatever lessons are to be learned from this happen quickly.

This is too much to deal with in the middle of a *********. There's no rioting here that I know of, but I remember what happened here just a few years ago. It was pointless. Innocent people lost businesses. The officer responsible was protected and exonerated. He didn't even face charges. People had Go Fund Me accounts for him! I don't want all of this happening now to be in vain.

Susan1

This is ridiculous. Why destroy property? They set a police car on fire and it spread. The CNN reporter is the one who was arrested. Why attack that building? Go after fox (just kidding). The white house had to be locked down earlier. They went down by trump's hotel and now they are back. All these people just don't have anything to do on a Friday night? What in the hell is this accomplishing? I've heard a couple times today that they are bringing in agitators and counter-protesters to cause more trouble. Seven people got shot in Louisville last night. Just miscellaneous going through my head. The cops who killed George Floyd should have to pay for all the damage in the country. Gosh, they'll have to be put in solitary if/WHEN they go to prison.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
IIRC there were journalists who were arrested in MO who sued the state or local authorities and got a settlement along with a written commitment for state reforms when it comes to their rights. Maybe the same will happen in MN after the arrests of the journalists.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
It's hard to tell what is happening in San Jose now because they are reshowing footage from earlier. Lots of activists calling for the protesters to be peaceful. (The vast majority of the protesters were peaceful.) There is some fear that things will ramp up again as the sun goes down.

I had to switch channels since it was just old stuff being talked over, but NBC Bay Area is reporting on the Oakland protest instead. Theirs is peaceful so far. It was supposed to start at 8 but enough people were there that they started early. They are marching down Broadway being led by a horse (!) and some are in cars, it looks like. The crowd is very diverse. (They had one yesterday too that was very peaceful -- people kneeling all socially distant.)

CBS News is showing FOX2 footage I saw 3x earlier and labeling it as Live. :rolleyes:

Okay, NBC Bay Area is reporting on SJ now. They said that the violence has pretty much stopped. However, the crowd has gotten bigger as people are coming down to see what is going on.

Btw, the police forces of SJ, SF and Oakland issued a joint statement earlier condemning what happened to Mr. Floyd.

FiveRinger

IIRC there were journalists who were arrested in MO who sued the state or local authorities and got a settlement along with a written commitment for state reforms when it comes to their rights. Maybe the same will happen in MN after the arrests of the journalists.
I don't remember that, but I appreciate you telling me. I'm tired of all of this. And this isn't me making light, this is me saying that this is exhausting. It's exhausting to watch. And now I'm in tears watching Omar Jimenez talking about his mother being scared to death thzt she would be another statistic--a mother whose black child died in police custody.

once_upon

New condo owner
Tear gas being used on protest in Onaha. And as far as I could tell there is no evidence of violence just peaceful "we cant breathe" chants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 8)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information