Why Does This Keep Happening: The Police Thread

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A video taken by an onlooker Monday evening shows a Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car. The man, who was later identified as George Floyd, later died.

Tuesday afternoon, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced that four officers involved are now "former employees" with the department, CBS Minnesota reports. Mayor Jacob Frey tweeted, "Four responding MPD officers involved in the death of George Floyd have been terminated. This is the right call."

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
Now they need to convict those 4 cops. The cop that was kneeling on top of the man's neck causing him not to be able to breathe should be convicted for murder and sent to Angola Penitentiary.

This should be the first death sentence that Angola should act upon since it's been nearly a decade since they executed capital punishment.

All four of them should be sentenced to Angola since the other three just watched while the 4th officer choked the man to death.

And instead of a lethal injection, they should hang them. That would choke them to death just like they allowed the 4th officer to choke George Floyd.

They should give them one month to live where they can have the pleasure of having 'new friends' - lots of new friends. They also should be made to listen to Aron Neville's song, Angola Bound every day for that whole month.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
They need to be charged with murder. Well at least the one doing the choking and the rest charged with being complicit or whatever the charge is for standing around doing nothing when they could have intervened.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
All that time and none of the others said a word against what he was doing. They were demeaning not just Floyd but the other people watching who were pleading with the police officer to stop.

Icetalavista

I live in the Twin Cities. Riots, looting in Mpls., then looting at a St. Paul Target, then malls/grocery stores began closing as a precaution. The hospital where I work (I am remote right now) - which is the one that treated George Floyd - has locked its external doors as a precaution. Protesters have gathered at the home of Officer Chauvin, the one who knelt on Floyd's neck. Big police presence there protecting his home. One bit of good news: the Go Fund Me page for the family of George Floyd was at $590K when I checked this morning. ********* + unemployment + police brutality = powderkeg. ALso, rioting in Memphis, TN. unsure of other cities. If Chauvin isn't arrested, convicted, and imprisoned (no death penalty in Minnesota), this will be the L.A. riots revisited. Chauvin must have thought there was no chance he'd be called to account for his actions. Cameras filming, multiple citizens asking him to check the suspect. Mind boggling.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Someone had an appropriate observation: Whenever there's another case of a white cop killing an unarmed black man, you hear the response "Don't blame all police on account of some bad eggs". But some professions cannot afford any bad eggs; you never hear anyone from American Airlines say "Most of our pilots like to land".

Susan1

I'm not going to read this whole thread, just FYI - it's 11:30 p.m. I've been flipping back and forth CNN and MSNBC all night. Flipped past fox a couple times - I have seen chyrons of Bill Barr, Russia probe and going after China. Good grief (that's the G rated version of what I'm thinking.............) :(

Susan1

Still awake (book thread - cortisone shot/tylenol 3/sinus infection/can't sleep).

With everybody and their uncle's dog being about to take and post pictures of anything, what in the hell did those cops think was going to happen 15 minutes later. It's Minneapolis, for god's sake. They should have apologized, resigned, confessed and gone right to jail. I wonder where they are hiding tonight. So much destruction. And it's not going to accomplish anything except make everybody madder and look worse to the whole world. The National Guard is coming and I said "Kent State". Except you know those kids weren't walking around with guns (or setting fires, but really).

Susan1

last night -
this morning -

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So apparently Mr. Floyd and Mr. Chauvin worked at the same nightclub. The nightclub was sold late last year. The previous owner said it was possible the didn't know each other as Mr. Floyd was a bouncer inside and Mr. Chauvin worked as an off duty cop outside.

But it calls to mind for me the cop shooting in Milwaukee that was immediately followed by riots. In the 10 years I had lived here (at the time), I'd see the AA community put up with a lot with nary a peep. So the riots seemed out of character. Sure enough, it comes out that the cop and the person he shot in the back went to high school together and knew each other. Other issues eventually came to light about that cop that were known to the community, but not the public, at the time.

I'm not sure the same thing is going on here, the video tape along was enough to provoke taking to the streets. But it certainly makes you wonder.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
This whole week has been full of "you know this is being filmed, right?", and still, STILL, the deeply ingrained racism of this country makes people think they are going to be just fine. In the case of Chauvin, it's because he's gotten away with it many times already.

Cachoo

At another site I could not help but notice that the thread about George Floyd, who was stopped because he was accused of passing a $20 counterfeit bill, sitting next to a thread about Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler accused of insider trading but will not be prosecuted by the DOJ a week after her hubby made a million dollar donation to Trump's PAC.

I started this thread in 2016. When is it FECKING going to change????????????????????

topaz

This whole week has been full of "you know this is being filmed, right?", and still, STILL, the deeply ingrained racism of this country makes people think they are going to be just fine. In the case of Chauvin, it's because he's gotten away with it many times already.
This is why white supremacy in this country will never be defeated. Black and brown people can not and will not be safe in this country regardless of your economic status and higher education.

Black and brown people need to seriously think about emigrating to other countries. I know I am seriously researching emigrating. I know anti blackness and colorism exists all over the world but at least in some countries I would be a lot safer and have empty spaces where I can prosper.

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
I know anti blackness and colorism exists all over the world but at least in some countries I would be a lot safer and have empty spaces where I can prosper.
I had a friend from the British West Indies who said she never knew she was black until the came to the U.S.

Sparks

I believe Mr. Floyd had to write a bad check because he did not have any income due to the CRUD. 😭

Nell411

Between the click of the light
I believe it has since been proven that the bill was legit.

ETA: Admittedly I have been having trouble finding the original source stating that, but I've been seeing it mentioned in a lot of places since yesterday.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I found the reporting on what he supposedly did to be confusing but a counterfeit check wouldn't be a check that bounced. It would be a check that had a made-up account number.

FiveRinger

Well one police officer involved has been arrrested.
Finally Chauvin has been taken into custody. It's not enough. Arrest the other three officers. But it's a process. I want to know what the charges are. They haven't been announced yet.

skatingguy

Golden Team
I have to keep checking to make sure I'm reading all these posts talking about cheques properly. :unsure:

I wish Americans would learn to use the English language. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information