When and how should we open schools?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I didn't get very far because the introductory stuff seemed very biased to me. I figured I could count on you guys to dig deeper. :D

Dobre

5 grade levels have been shut down this week at one of the schools in my region. (It is one of the ones where I wouldn't be comfortable sending a child).
And another 5 grades are closed now too.

The principal of this school reportedly signed a letter, along with a bunch of other people of questionable judgement, to the governor complaining about the state's requirements for safety protocols. Guess the school should start taking them more seriously, no?

Last edited:

myhoneyhoney

My school district passed a vaccinated mandate last night. DEC 17 is the deadline for full vaccination for anyone in the FDA approved age range. Anyone not fully vaccinated after Dec 17 will be required to take weekly tests. The school campus offers free ********* testing.

Currently the district estimates 54-62% of students eligible are fully vaccinated.

Susan1

A couple people on my city's chat page are asking about online school because their kid has been quarantined a couple times already for exposure. Apparently, Miamisburg has no official online option. Just a bunch of whiners complaining about masks, then complaining when their kid gets quarantined, then complaining about how their kid did not do well in online school last year. If their kid gets hospitalized, they will complain that it was the school's job to protect them.
:wuzrobbed:violin:

Susan1

No school Friday for the middle school - "Lori Kipps Flory who works in Nutrition Services at MMS and has been with the District 13 years." has died of c.v.
Here's a classy (not) comment in the middle of all the condolences -
by Geanna Hayes
"5g and WiFi turn them off in all schools save lives now"

After several people made "WTF" like comments, she wrote -

"5g technology is made with microwave radiation 4g 2and 3 g is safer WiFi also puts out microwave radiation please don't take my word look into this and the effects". And then she ❤️ed her own comment.....:wall::wall:

(Twilight Zone music)

Lock her up!

Someone commented "do you know how a microwave works?".

Dobre

U.S. schools with mask requirements are seeing fewer outbreaks, the C.D.C. finds.​

"School mask mandates have generated controversy in many parts of the country. Now, two studies, published on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, provide additional evidence that masks protect children from the ********, even when community rates are high and the contagious Delta variant is circulating.

One study, conducted in Arizona, where children returned to school in July, found that schools that did not require staff and students to wear masks were 3.5 times as likely to have a ***** outbreak as schools that required universal masking.

A second study looked at infections among all children in 520 different counties across the United States, and found that once the public school year started, pediatric cases increased at a far higher rate in counties where schools did not require masks."

"The second study looked at the association between school mask policies in a given county and communitywide infections among children, finding that counties with no school mask requirement experienced a larger uptick in pediatric case rates after the start of school than counties with school mask requirements.

Between the week before school started and the second week of school, the number of pediatric infections increased by 35 cases per 100,000 in counties without mask requirements, while the number increased by 16 cases per 100,000 population in counties with school mask requirements."

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Here are some interesting poll numbers concerning children, vaccinations, and school policies.

• The latest KFF *********-19 Vaccine Monitor finds that nearly half (48%) of parents of children ages 12-17 say their child has received at least one dose of a vaccine. With news from Pfizer that clinical trials showed their *********-19 vaccine was safe and effective for children ages five to eleven, the Vaccine Monitor (conducted September 13-22, with the bulk of interviews concluding before Pfizer’s announcement) finds that about a third of parents (34%) say they will vaccinate their 5-11 year old child “right away” once a vaccine is authorized for their age group.
Five months after the FDA granted emergency use authorization for the Pfizer *********-19 vaccine’s use in children ages 12 and over, nearly half (48%) of parents of children ages 12-17 say their child has received at least one dose of a vaccine. The share of parents who say they want to “wait and see” before getting their 12-17 year old vaccinated has decreased to 15%, down from 23% in July. Just 4% of parents say they will only get their teenager vaccinated “if their school requires it,” and one in five (21%) say they will “definitely not” vaccinate their child, similar to the share measured in previous months.

On September 20th, Pfizer announced that clinical trials showed their *********-19 vaccine was safe and effective for children ages five to eleven. The KFF *********-19 Vaccine Monitor (conducted September 13-22, with the bulk of interviews concluding before Pfizer’s announcement) finds that about a third of parents (34%) say they will vaccinate their 5-11 year old child “right away” once a vaccine is authorized for their age group. About a third of parents (32%) say they will “wait and see” how the vaccine is working before having their 5-11 year old vaccinated. Notably, the share who say they definitely won’t get their 5-11 year old vaccinated remains steady at one in four (24%).

Parents continue to be more cautious about getting their younger children vaccinated with about one in four (23%) saying they will get their child under the age of 5 vaccinated right away once a vaccine is available for that age group and about a third (35%) saying they will definitely not get their child under 5 vaccinated for *********-19.

With schools now back in session amidst a resurgent *********-19 *********, the Biden administration and government and school officials across the country are implementing precautions and policies in an attempt to limit *********-19 transmission and keep students safe at school. As part of the efforts, many schools are requiring students and staff to wear masks, regardless of their vaccination status. Overall, a majority of parents (58%) say K-12 schools should require all students and staff to wear masks while at school, 4% say they should only require unvaccinated students and staff to wear masks, and about a third (35%) say schools should have no mask requirements at all. Seven in ten parents (73%) who are vaccinated for *********-19 themselves say schools should require all students to wear masks, while about six in ten unvaccinated parents (63%) say there should be no masking requirements at all. Notably mothers are more likely than fathers to say schools should require all students and staff to wear masks (70% vs 42%).

skategal

Bunny mama
Nova Scotia just mandated teachers and all school related staff to be vaccinated by November 30.

If they are only 1 dose vaccinated or no dose vaccinated, they have to attend a mandatory education session. (I pity the folks teaching this course. Nothing worse than reaching to folks who do t want to be there. :scream:)

If they don’t comply with the mandate, they will be placed on administrative leave without pay and must be vaccinated to return to the school.

Vaccination for CV will become a condition of employment for new hires.

The same applies for all Heath care workers and related staff as well.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
CA is requiring kids to be vaccinated against CV once vaccines for their age group are given full approval.

There is no exemption for religious reasons for school vaccines in CA either. Just medical.

Dobre

CA is requiring kids to be vaccinated against CV once vaccines for their age group are given full approval.
Excellent. I think if they do this, they will be way ahead of the curve in giving the ***** the great heave ho!

(For some practical perspective, a lot of classrooms here are currently averaging 3-7 students gone a day. This is way too early for that in the year. The sick season usually doesn't hit for another 3 weeks. I know we've had principals filling in for teachers, specialty classrooms doubled up, pull-out classes cancelled. All too early. One would expect things to get worse as the traditional sick season hits. So just from a sheer practical perspective, kids will see a lot more classroom time if schools jump on the opportunity to vaccinate kids full throttle when the opportunity arises. As it is, it will take 5-6 weeks at a minimum so even places that do mandate vaccines right away will have to make it through maybe 3 tough months here).

Last edited:

missing

Schools in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of NY are reporting low CV numbers.

********* numbers have remained low at schools across the region since the new school year started.

School districts in Orange, Sullivan and Ulster counties reported about 440 positive student cases between Sept. 13 and Sept. 27, according to the state Health Department. It represents about 0.5% of total public school enrollment in the three counties, which was 87,666 as of 2019-20.

Sixty-three public school teachers and staff were reported to have tested positive during the same period.

New York has a statewide school mask mandate.

myhoneyhoney

My daughter's high school announced they will now have vaccination clinics on campus too! This is awesome, as long as students have parental waiver they can walk in and get tested/vaccinated any time. Daughter said the school has made testing so common because of sports that the students see it as no big deal. If one wants a test, usually their group of friends will go along and get tested too. That said, it's been 2 weeks since the last positive email notice.

Miezekatze

I Germany there is not much support anymore from the public and parents for mask wearing during class according to a new poll:

• In the general population 59% of people are against mandating mask wearing during school classes
  • Among parents 71% are against mandating mask wearing during school classes

So I think that fits with the current trend to get rid of the mask mandates (children still have to wear them while walking/mixing in the school building). Kids get tested 2 or 3 times a week though, I think most people prefer the tests, cause they allow more normalcy.

missing

It will be interesting to see if other parents start doing this.

WAUKESHA, Wis. (AP) — A parent has sued a southeastern Wisconsin school district after her son contracted *********-19 from a classmate.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Shannon Jensen filed the lawsuit in federal court against the Waukesha School District and school board on Oct. 5. Jensen is seeking an injunction ordering the district to comply with U.S. Centers for Disease Control *********-19 guidelines.

According to the lawsuit, the board in May removed a student mask requirement and other *********-19 mitigation measures. One of Jensen’s son’s classmates came to school with symptoms in September and didn’t wear a mask. Jensen’s son was seated next to the sick student and was wearing a mask but still became infected. Jensen’s other two sons later tested positive as well.

sk8nlizard

It will be interesting to see if other parents start doing this.

WAUKESHA, Wis. (AP) — A parent has sued a southeastern Wisconsin school district after her son contracted *********-19 from a classmate.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Shannon Jensen filed the lawsuit in federal court against the Waukesha School District and school board on Oct. 5. Jensen is seeking an injunction ordering the district to comply with U.S. Centers for Disease Control *********-19 guidelines.

According to the lawsuit, the board in May removed a student mask requirement and other *********-19 mitigation measures. One of Jensen’s son’s classmates came to school with symptoms in September and didn’t wear a mask. Jensen’s son was seated next to the sick student and was wearing a mask but still became infected. Jensen’s other two sons later tested positive as well.
There was a lot of talk about this among my friends here in Texas. The main thing we wondered was how would you prove it? Unless no one in the family was going anywhere else but school how could they prove that they got it from the kid at school?
Both my kids wore masks to school and my son made it 6 days before catching *********. We are pretty sure that school is where he caught it but there’s no way we could prove it because very few places in Texas require everyone to be masked.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Contact tracing is able to pinpoint where people get it. If the kid who got it came into contact with no one who had it except at school, then that seems pretty clear.

sk8nlizard

Contact tracing is able to pinpoint where people get it. If the kid who got it came into contact with no one who had it except at school, then that seems pretty clear.
This would be true in a place that actually had contact tracing. Texas doesn’t really. Both my kids and myself got *********, all 3 were lab confirmed PCRs. I only got emails/phone calls for 2 cases and when they called about my son, it was after he was already out of quarantine and back at school. They also didn’t ask us everywhere we had been. Also, ********* cases are self reported in our school district. If you don’t fill out the form, the school would never know. Though it’s getting better now, at the beginning of the year my sons school said they had 24 cases, however my son said in his classes almost half the kids were missing. This is a school of 1000 kids, the numbers aren’t adding up. However, I do agree, contact tracing, when done correctly, would pin point it. Maybe Wisconsin is doing better than Texas which admittedly isn’t hard to do!

missing

There was a lot of talk about this among my friends here in Texas. The main thing we wondered was how would you prove it? Unless no one in the family was going anywhere else but school how could they prove that they got it from the kid at school?
Both my kids wore masks to school and my son made it 6 days before catching *********. We are pretty sure that school is where he caught it but there’s no way we could prove it because very few places in Texas require everyone to be masked.
I don't know how the family could prove it exactly but if the two boys were sitting next to each other for an extended period of time and if the boy wasn't spending that much time in such close proximity with anyone else, it might seem like a reasonable assumption.

Since the family isn't suing for damages, I don't know how much proof they're going to need. But what intrigues me is what school systems throughout the US will do if more and more families sue. The school boards will have to pay to defend themselves, possibly their insurance rates will go up, and the press coverage will not be flattering. It could be a bad way to spend a school year for them.

Dobre

I've read this comment a lot, and I guess I'm wondering if that even matters. Schools don't like to fight lawsuits. School administrators don't even like to deal with an upset parent in the office or on the phone. All kinds of safety rules in schools are enacted to avoid exactly this. I mean, I don't know how you prove that lice leaped from this child's head to another child's head on a classroom couch instead of when the two kids were sitting side by side at their desks with their heads together, but people exile couches, soft chairs, and pillows from classrooms just because parents complain.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Exciting news in Massachusetts! Hopkinson High School is the first in the state to reach the vaccine threshold necessary to make indoor masking voluntary. The kids took the lead and encouraged their friends to get vaccinated. The school staff also did a great job. Congrats, Hopkinson.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My husband's school district teachers and staff are reported to be only 50% fully vaccinated per the school superintendent. I had no idea it was that low. Glad my husband is no longer substitute teaching! But what's really annoying is county teachers and staff (and parents and students) are planning a walk-off on October 18th to protest the state vaccination mandates. And the superintendent is encouraging medical and religious exemption applications so he can keep his schools running. :mad: I'm so disappointed in this ridiculous county of morons. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information