When and how should we open schools?

once_upon

Voter
I talked to my grandkids on Thanksgiving. I asked about their classes. One thing that I never expected an 8 year old talk about was doing his writing exercises and uploading them for his teacher to review.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
@Theatregirl1122 Oooh, yes, participation grades! And rubrics! And repeatedly bringing up learning targets! And focusing your essential questions!

I hear group projects are very popular as well.

Also, @Prancer have you thought about thinking what you want your students to learn, and then basing your lesson plans on that? I find that very helpful. :saint:

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
@Prancer you should create a rubric. Then they'll know your exact expectations.

:p
I have to use a rubric (which I did not create) to assess all terminal assignments. I haven't noticed much difference. But I am sure that's because I am resistant to adaptation.
Oh are we giving basic teaching advice today? Try grading participation! Because grading something else is what everyone needs right now!
Do I give them credit for appearing on Zoom in the form of a black rectangle with a name on it? Then we are golden!
Also, @Prancer have you thought about thinking what you want your students to learn, and then basing your lesson plans on that? I find that very helpful. :saint:
Gosh, I hadn't thought of that. You are SO creative. I'll bet you could get paid a lot of money to go around to schools doing presentations on this idea.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Do I give them credit for appearing on Zoom in the form of a black rectangle with a name on it? Then we are golden!

Every once in a while you gotta say "if you're still paying attention, raise your hand" and then give them a point if they do! Also keep track of everyone who talks to you the whole time.

Have you tried giving student choice in your assignments? We're all about student choice these days. I dunno how I get the student choice into math, but apparently if I do, it'll be MAGIC

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
New York City schools are planning a phased reopening starting December 7.

The first school buildings will reopen Dec. 7, de Blasio said Sunday. City officials plan to reopen public school buildings in a phased approach, starting with 3-K, Pre-K and K-5 students. District 75 students of all grade levels will get the opportunity to return to the classroom a few days later on Dec. 10.

The city is reopening schools in phases, in part, to make sure enhanced testing resources will be available for returning students. The mayor did not offer a timeline of reopening school buildings for middle and high school students, saying the city was not ready yet to open every school.

School buildings returning to in-person learning, wherever possible, will transition to classroom instruction five days per week, the mayor said. Before the suspension of in-person instruction, students attended school one to three days a week.

When the schools reopen, weekly ******** testing will be in effect for students and faculty.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
We were just warned about this and similar services: https://beulr.com/
I don't know whether to :rofl: or :wuzrobbed!

LOL OMG Capitalism at its best. I love the name!

They're also developing a bot there that will allow you to video yourself, and then they'll log in for you and run the video, so it looks like you're actually there.

What happens when you get called on??

They say they don't recommend their service for classes that require participation. So if you get called on, you're sh*t out of luck, basically.

jeffisjeff

They say they don't recommend their service for classes that require participation. So if you get called on, you're sh*t out of luck, basically.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the Director of our Learning and Teaching Center showed us this app to try to shame the faculty into requiring some kind of interaction in our remote-synchronous classes. :lol:

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member

Teaching in the *********: ‘This Is Not Sustainable’

In more than a dozen interviews, educators described the immense challenges, and exhaustion, they have faced trying to provide normal schooling for students in ********* conditions that are anything but normal. Some recounted whiplash experiences of having their schools abruptly open and close, sometimes more than once, because of ***** risks or quarantine-driven staff shortages, requiring them to repeatedly switch back and forth between in-person and online teaching.

Others described the stress of having to lead back-to-back group video lessons for remote learners, even as they continued to teach students in person in their classrooms. Some educators said their workloads had doubled.

“I have NEVER been this exhausted,” Sarah Gross, a veteran high school English teacher in New Jersey who is doing hybrid teaching this fall, said in a recent Twitter thread. She added, “This is not sustainable.”

An argument for giving kids open-book tests during the ********* (and after)

Educational psychologists have been researching the effects of open-book vs. closed-book tests for years. Perhaps surprisingly, many of these studies find that test format produces little difference in learning or assessment outcomes. In addition, psychologists report, open-book exams come with some distinct advantages. They generate less anxiety in students, for example — an important factor to consider at a time when the ********* is already imperiling young people’s mental health.

Properly constructed, open-book tests can promote the development of higher-order thinking and problem-solving skills over the rote memorization of factual information. And, of course, they render moot the temptation to cheat, reducing the incidence of unethical behavior.

I have always given open-book exams, but I CAN give open-book exams. I don't know if it's possible for everyone. And it's not like there won't be students who will cheat anyway. But I think that all the methods people are using online for preventing cheating are both ineffective and require far too much attention from teachers. We need a better way.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
One of the local universities is investigating 100 cases of cheating in an online final for a math course :eek:

From the discussion on Reddit, it sounds like the course instructor put a very difficult question in the exam, and then posted an incorrect answer to the question, with the calculations included, on Chegg. Everyone who cut-and-pasted that answer into their exam was reported for academic misconduct.

ETA: Some instructors also give different numbers on every question on each exam, i.e. each outline of the exam has the questions numbered differently. So if someone writing the exam goes on Chegg and posts the entire question, the instructor can tell whose exam it was from the question number. I've also heard that if instructors contact Chegg about an exam question that was posted on the site, Chegg is quite willing to hand over the ISP that the question was posted from.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
This is the bottom line for me:

perhaps surprisingly, many of these studies find that test format produces little difference in learning or assessment outcomes.

Also, it doesn't seem that surprising. You can't do well on an open-book test if you don't know the material IME.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
This is the bottom line for me:

perhaps surprisingly, many of these studies find that test format produces little difference in learning or assessment outcomes.

Also, it doesn't seem that surprising. You can't do well on an open-book test if you don't know the material IME.

We've switched to open note for several of our classes because we can't control it anyways, so by saying it's not open note, all that happens is that the kids with integrity get punished because they're the ones who won't use their notes.

We're having a lot more trouble with kids cheating off of each other.

jeffisjeff

^Or using services like Chegg where you can get some guy on the internet to solve your exam problems for you, in real time! But, based on what I've heard from faculty who've caught cheaters using Chegg, they seem to have an issue with quality control. :shuffle:

Susan1

People on my city page are wondering if school will be back to in-school next week. One guy posted a "study" of how the ***** isn't killing that many kids. AARRGGHH It's the teachers, staff, principals (one of our grade schools), bus drivers, cafeteria (the high school) workers who are getting sick and/or exposed. Drive your kid to the school building and pack a lunch and maybe they can be babysat by the older kids, but they won't be getting an education if everybody else is out. And maybe they won't take the ***** back home to you or their grandparents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information