When and how should we open schools?

antmanb

So most schools reopened here last week. Work wife has a 5 and an 8 year old in primary school. They had a week in school and it has now been closed down because of a positive test in the reception class (kindergarten) and then two positive tests in the kitchen staff. Public health England has closed the whole school for 14 days because the outbreak in the kitchen means that all students were potentially exposed.

Last week 46 schools in the Greater Manchester area were closed down due to confirmed cases.

Which just goes to show that if you reopen school and go back to full time face to face teaching while calling "classes" "bubbles" but changing nothing else, you are going to have serious problems on your hands.

With schools closed, parents have to go back to looking after the kids and doing their school work with them, what happens to the work they have to do? The government are trying to push everyone back into their offices, but that can't happen if parents are having to look after kids. And you just know it's going to continue like this until there is an actual vaccine.

Work wife has had to console her distraught 8 year old who thinks she's an walking infectious disease that could kill anyone at any moment such if the amount of news stories that have constantly peddled the "kids may kill their grandparents" narrative. Work wife is now considering just pulling the kids out of school and looking into a proper home schooling curriculum because she thinks this stop/start approach is more hassle than its worth - she's had to get the kids ready to change to a back-to-school routine including getting the 2 year old ready to return to the child minder, only to have a week of adapting to that and now having to change back to being at home on a couple of hour's notice.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Work wife is now considering just pulling the kids out of school and looking into a proper home schooling curriculum because she thinks this stop/start approach is more hassle than its worth
I also think it's damaging to the kids. Most kids prefer some structure and do better with it than with constant change.

Heck most adults prefer it and do better with it too. :D But I think it's even more important for kids.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
The amount of energy that goes into hybrid synchronous teaching is mind boggling. I don’t think anyone has any idea if they’re not doing it. :fragile:
Yep, it's not at all what I was expecting when I first started.

The same is true of running online classes. Everyone who doesn't do it thinks it's basically effortless and the classes all run by themselves. Hahahahaha.

IvoryIris

We have been back all day every day for a little over three weeks. There are of course layers and layers of safety and sanitization the teachers are now required to perform in addition everything else. We are suppose to also maintain a fully functioning google classroom that includes every lesson we teach in person each day, but there are not enough hours in the day at this point to do it all.

Without going too deeply into it (because quite honestly I am exhausted) it is really important that we find a way to stay in person in the primary school. Last year’s kindergarten education was pretty dramatically impacted by the shut down. It is going to take some time and consistency to remediate the educational gaps. The divide between those with means (technology, parental support/ability, etc.) and those without is very clear.
* Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
The department heads at my school saw the cluster*ck that would synchronous hybrid learning and that's why we talked admin out of it. If we have to go to hybrid, that isn't the way we'll do it. We also decided that kids who were staying at home would get the online only classes (this has its own issues, but they only affect nine of that staff rather than all of them. I'm one of the nine; I get to whine :p)

Here is something I have noticed. My freshmen are still very much in 8th grade mode. They are generally squirrelly at the beginning of the year BUT DAMN I HAVE ROOMS FULL OF RABID SQUIRRELS. RABID SQUIRRELS WHO HAVE CONSUMED MULTIPLE BANG ENERGY DRINKS.

And my seniors? Can not get the hang of school again. In my dual enrollment class, I have multiple students who have handed in nothing, and all but the very best students are missing multiple assignments.

Any other teachers who are back in person with kids notice anything weird?

ballettmaus

The school board at my mom's school has decided to bring back some of the kindergarten classes, 1st grade and 5th grade (I think). They made the decision against objections of the employee association, against the wishes of the teachers, without the knowledge of the school's principal or any of the other heads of school and without having a plan of how they could be outside as much as possible while the preschool also stays outside as much as possible.

The school's motto is "we're in this together", by the way. They even have pin-on buttons that say that. :shuffle:

Dobre

Well the only local school here that both 1. is in a county that met the health metrics and 2. elected to reopen made it four whole days before having multiple teachers & kids exposed & closing the buildings.

Last edited:

IvoryIris

On the plus side, my kids keep coming up behind me to sneak a hug and tell me how much they love me and love being back at school. That’s probably not something that the high school and college instructors experience regularly. 😎

once_upon

Voter
The department heads at my school saw the cluster*ck that would synchronous hybrid learning and that's why we talked admin out of it. If we have to go to hybrid, that isn't the way we'll do it. We also decided that kids who were staying at home would get the online only classes (this has its own issues, but they only affect nine of that staff rather than all of them. I'm one of the nine; I get to whine :p)

Here is something I have noticed. My freshmen are still very much in 8th grade mode. They are generally squirrelly at the beginning of the year BUT DAMN I HAVE ROOMS FULL OF RABID SQUIRRELS. RABID SQUIRRELS WHO HAVE CONSUMED MULTIPLE BANG ENERGY DRINKS.

And my seniors? Can not get the hang of school again. In my dual enrollment class, I have multiple students who have handed in nothing, and all but the very best students are missing multiple assignments.

so I'm confused - I saw peanut pictures today. Are you online teaching now?

million$momma

I teach elementary. I agree they are like squirrels hyped on energy drink. They seem very young and academically they are far behind. Emotionally and academically I believe they should be repeating last years grade, but they have been promoted on...

skategal

Bunny mama
This parent is finding that the teacher is reviewing material from before the shut down and because I was so vigilant with DS and his school work during the online school from March - June, it is now taking him a whopping 2 minutes and 30 seconds to complete his math homework each night. :shuffle:

I totally understand why they are doing it, but if it doesn’t pick up a bit soon I think I will have to start supplementing his work at home because it feels like he has gone back to grade 3 math when he is in grade 5.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I forgot to mention that one of the school districts here is in a county that would allow children back in the classroom, if not right now, in a few weeks. They surveyed everyone and found that people wanted stability and certainty. They didn't want to be in school one week and home the next, whipping back and forth. So they voted to continue with distance learning for the rest of the semester. (So until the end of the year.)

Dobre

Nearly 4,500 *********-19 cases reported in Texas public schools

New York City Schools Again Postpone Start Of In-Person Learning For Most Students

"New York City public schools are once again postponing the start of in-person learning, the mayor announced Thursday.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said 3-K, pre-K and District 75 special education schools will still reopen Monday.

However, K-5 and K-8 schools will stay remote until Sept. 29. Middle and high schools won’t reopen until Oct. 1."

"The mayor said the main concern that still needs to be addressed is staffing."

Mass. parents knew kid had ********, sent him to 1st day of school anyway, officials say
Another one. And of course there's nothing in the article about any consequences for these parents who willingly endangered the lives of teachers and students, not to mention the school's ability to remain open.

Hawaii: Public schools will make ‘gradual’ transition to blended learning in October

Education groups in South Dakota say containing ******** a 'nightmare'
-South Dakota has had 667 cases among students and staff.

Dobre

As many as 51% of all school employees are at increased risk of *********-19, study finds

Based on a few articles I've read about kids having to stay dialed in for long stretches of time, I feel like people/schools may have overreacted to a few complaints from a few parents in the spring that wanted online school to fill the full umpteen hours of instruction time that are filled in a traditional school day.

Dobre

Per this article in the New York Times, New York City principals are saying they need 10,000 new teachers:eek:. Per the New York article I posted in post #1275, the mayor has said the city is getting up to 4,500. To be continued . . .

clairecloutier

As many as 51% of all school employees are at increased risk of *********-19, study finds

Based on a few articles I've read about kids having to stay dialed in for long stretches of time, I feel like people/schools may have overreacted to a few complaints from a few parents in the spring that wanted online school to fill the full umpteen hours of instruction time that are filled in a traditional school day.

In MA, the long hours are a reflection of the fact that the state has returned to the usual number of instructional hours required by statute. Last spring, they relaxed those requirements, but not this year. I believe that’s a state-level decision.

Dobre

https://www.nj.com/digitalsubscription/exclusive
New Jersey: Here’s the growing list of schools going remote because of *********-19

A Corner Canyon teacher is hospitalized.
After first ignoring Utah’s *********-19 guidance, the school will now close.
"Charri Jensen’s hospitalization comes as part of a larger outbreak at the Draper high school, where the district’s board voted last week to ignore state health guidance and not shut down, despite having over 15 cases on campus. But the spread there has since ballooned to more than 70 infections.":wall:

California: Outbreak in Sonoma County: ***** hits 13 child care centers, schools
https://tinyurl.com/y2c9ad7j

"Thirteen schools and child care facilities in Sonoma County reported ******** outbreaks that infected 62 people, including 25 children, health officials said this week.

Most of the children who were infected were 6 years old and younger. Ten members of school staff and 27 family members were also infected, according to Sonoma County Public Health Officer Dr. Sundari Mase. Exposure to the ***** occurred at the child care centers."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 5)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information