When and how should we open schools?

Judy

The small town where I teach hasn't had very many cases. However, a lot of our students come from larger towns nearby and many of them play on sports leagues all over Omaha. And I would say only about half of the teachers actually live in the town.

So at the moment, it's probably okay to open. But it would've been nice if some of that business bail out money had gone to schools to help them buy equipment to make the schools safer.
Our Ontario govt in Canada have put a fortune in re-opening schools with very strict guidelines. Desks protected by plexiglass, six feet apart, mandatory mask wearing and students not travelling to different classrooms. However, there were kids testing positive in 5 schools last week. Likely this happened prior to the opening of the school.

But until the u.s. has it under control .. and the money to do so .. forget about schools safely opening Unless it’s online.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Today while we were outside socially distancing for a mask break one of my students, who is not exactly an honors student to say yhd told me “I think this is all really stupid” and I was preparing myself for an anti-masker rant which wouldn’t be out of place in my town. But instead he was like “they’re jumping through all these hoops to get us here for a few hours a week and we can barely learn anything and school is basically like jail. We might as well just be at home. It would be easier and we’d probably learn more.”

I had to laugh because of how frank he was. Obviously students can opt for all virtual now but the time that gets wasted for one-way hallways and disinfecting desks using disinfectant with a 10 minute dwell time is wasted for them, too.

Today actually went mostly okay from a tech standpoint and I think we’ll be more effective when it isn’t the first day, but man, everything is so hard now.

clairecloutier

Aimless gripe. Our new school told us that "orientation" for all 7 grades would be from Thurs 9/10-Tues 9/15. They said 6th graders should come for materials pickup Thurs morning, sign up for an orientation session Thurs night, and a Q&A session Tues night. I assumed that that was the entirety of the 6th grade orientation and planned a long weekend at my parents' place in Maine. Now I find out the kids are supposed to be logged into more orientation sessions on Friday, Monday, and Tuesday mornings from 8:30-noon. Le sigh. Not sure what to do about our weekend ....

million$momma

Our Ontario govt in Canada have put a fortune in re-opening schools with very strict guidelines. Desks protected by plexiglass, six feet apart, mandatory mask wearing and students not travelling to different classrooms. However, there were kids testing positive in 5 schools last week. Likely this happened prior to the opening of the school.

But until the u.s. has it under control .. and the money to do so .. forget about schools safely opening Unless it’s online.
I am an Ontario teacher and we have not opened to students yet in our district. We start on Monday. There is no plexiglass in my school except in the main office for the secretary and there is no way the 20 desks in my classroom are 6 feet apart... We are all mandated to wear masks and the students do stay in one classroom.

Judy

I am an Ontario teacher and we have not opened to students yet in our district. We start on Monday. There is no plexiglass in my school except in the main office for the secretary and there is no way the 20 desks in my classroom are 6 feet apart... We are all mandated to wear masks and the students do stay in one classroom.
What grade?

Susan1

From an article about all the Dayton-area schools that started yesterday -

"There was a lot of anxiety coming into the first in-person day, but Miamisburg Superintendent Laura Blessing said students adapted extremely well, even self-policing mask and distancing issues in some cases.

“The school staff were impressed with the amount of flexibility and understanding and patience that our families and students had for this first day, which was probably the most unique that we have experienced in quite awhile,” Blessing said.

She said first-day hiccups did happen — some online families struggling with the log-in process, and a few kindergarten families coming Tuesday when their classes don’t start until Wednesday — but she said she still had her “first-day goosebumps” on what she called a “really successful day.” "

And, awwww - “The students did a wonderful job wearing their required face coverings — so well that some of our kindergartners tried to drink out of their water bottle through their mask,” Mad River Superintendent Chad Wyen said."

Susan1

Did I put that West Carrollton has to postpone their next two games because a player tested positive here or in News? Well, Fairborn has now had to postpone their next two games because they played West Carrollton while the kid was positive. Dominoes.................

MacMadame

Staying at home
I'm "attending" the school board meeting again. Interestingly, they have 99% attendance on Day 6 compared to 97% last year.

Also, they finagled that all kids can get free lunch without having to qualify in some way. :cheer:

All the families that asked for Chromebooks got them but they ran out of hotspots. More are coming though and they hope to fill all requests soon.

The bad news is that the teachers are working with 2013 laptops. :eek:

Also IT staff wasn't increased to deal with distance learning. (Teacher's union prez is not happy about that.)

How are other school districts doing on these issues?

Dobre

South Carolina 3rd Grade Teacher, 28, Dies From *********-19

Teacher deaths from *********-19 raise alarms as new school year begins
-Along with the teacher from South Carolina, this article discusses two from Mississippi and one from Missouri.
-These are all cases of teachers that have passed away since the start of the new school year.

"The early phase of the ********* claimed the lives of dozens of teachers. The New York City Department of Education alone lost 31 teachers among 75 employees whose deaths were blamed on the ********.

Across the U.S., the American Federation of Teachers lists 210 union members who have died. The list includes support staff and retirees as well as teachers."

"It’s unclear how many teachers in the U.S. have become ill with *********-19 since the new school year began, but Mississippi alone has reported 604 cases among school teachers and staff."

million$momma

I'm "attending" the school board meeting again. Interestingly, they have 99% attendance on Day 6 compared to 97% last year.

Also, they finagled that all kids can get free lunch without having to qualify in some way. :cheer:

All the families that asked for Chromebooks got them but they ran out of hotspots. More are coming though and they hope to fill all requests soon.

The bad news is that the teachers are working with 2013 laptops. :eek:

Also IT staff wasn't increased to deal with distance learning. (Teacher's union prez is not happy about that.)

How are other school districts doing on these issues?
That's better than my board where teachers are using personal devices...

Susan1

The one time I don't want the title to show up, tinyurl did it. I don't know if you can open it.

"The student tells the officer that everyone at the party has c.v."

from another article - "The way I interpreted the video from the bodycam footage was -- he felt like he was at home and quarantining like he was supposed to be and that the majority of the people that were at the house had passed by and stopped by," said Fening.

MacMadame

Staying at home
That's better than my board where teachers are using personal devices...
Oh, that is happening here. It was mentioned. Our Board was very upset about the issues but that doesn't mean they will be solved quickly.

I have a friend who teaches in another district and last weekend she was collecting extra monitors so she and her fellow teachers could teach better. (Laptop to run the zoom and monitor to have all the teaching material up and running.) So teachers are doing what they have to in order to be the best teachers they can be even if that means spending their own money.

Stories about schools re-opening:

sk8nlizard

I have been watching our numbers in our school district as we chose remote for the first quarter but I would like to send my kids back if possible. Our district has a dashboard that is updated in real time. Right now we have 12 cases in the entire district, 7 students and 5 staff members. There are no cases at my kid’s school so far. This district has about 33.5 K students and almost 4K staff. About 65% of the district opted for in person learning (it varies a bit from school to school). I will be watching in a few weeks as it would be after Labor Day. I am in Texas and 2nd and up is required to be in a mask.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
well our province is putting in multi millions to the schools in Ontario. I say they could afford it.
As I understand it, a lot of that money is going into supporting teachers and online learning. The schools would suffer even more if money was taken away from that. It's not as simple as saying, oh, there's a lot of money, so of course they can afford it.

concorde

Where I live, the district requires that all teachers go into the classroom. Classes are then streamed to all of the students at home. At the high school level, 4-1hr classes a day and they repeat ever other day. For my high school daughter, this set up is similar to what she had in the Spring and worked well for her. HS Students have been told - no science labs; no midterms or finals; grades are for the year not quarter/semester. Right now the school district is 100% virtual until mid-October.

Son has now completed day 2 at the private school. So far he likes it - no complaints about wearing a mask the entire school day.

Last edited:

Judy

As I understand it, a lot of that money is going into supporting teachers and online learning. The schools would suffer even more if money was taken away from that. It's not as simple as saying, oh, there's a lot of money, so of course they can afford it.
6.7 billion for the schools. of course they could afford it.

concorde

Oh yeah - the special needs kids go back next Monday.
Between those kids and the teachers in the classroom, the lunchroom is open. That means the custodians and lunchroom staff remain employed.

once_upon

Voter
One of my friends from church teaches high school English. They are in class 5 days a week. Her classes range in size from 8 students to 23 students. Masks are mandatory. Its a couple of weeks in and she says so far things are good. She does have to remind to cover noses a couple of times each class.

ballettmaus

I just spoke with one of the neighbors who teaches at a private school in Virginia. It sounds like they're organized much better than my mom's school. They reconfigured rooms to accomdate spaced-apart desks (they're using common areas and the cafeteria, for example), students eat lunch at their desks, everyone is wearing masks and teachers are encouraged to hold classes outside. The only negative is that they have rooms without windows.

6.7 billion for the schools. of course they could afford it.
How many schools with how many teachers and students? How much protective equipment has to be bought? How many laptops have to be bought? What else to they have to do in order to accomodate online learning? Are there schools that go back in person and if so, do they have to hire additional teachers because they have to shrink classroom sizes and are there adjustments to the classrooms that they have to make (like enlarge the room, reconfigure rooms, upgrade the A/C etc).

overedge

G.O.A.T.

concorde

Canada has universal health coverage. It is everyone's best financial interest to add all the safety features at schools rather than risk teachers/kids getting sick and then paying the associated medical costs. Very wise decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information