What, Me Worry? Travels and Travails 2021-22

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I'm glad I am no longer forced to excessively sanitize my hands. The forced use of hand sanitizer is extremely rough on my hands.
I almost never used hand sanitizer through the whole pandemic :huh: I don’t miss the excessive hand washing in the office, which had really cheap/harsh soap.

So much in Indonesia is outside/open air and the island we’re on has very few foreigners. The region we visited the last week or so, no one wore masks except into convenience stores (sometimes). Flew yesterday - everyone masked except 2 white guys who live in Bali 🙄) - and now in a larger city where it’s more masking. We even got our temperatures taken in a grocery store this am.

Very happy to be traveling before the masses arrive, and hope that all the tourism-focused businesses here get a ton of business in the next 2 months to help rebound from the last 2 years.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
It appears Viking Cruise line is no longer requiring/doing on board Covid testing. If testing is required prior to boarding is yet to be announced.

The only thing official I've seen is a letter posted by a current traveler, so it only reference on board testing.
We tested as we got on board, then every morning for the first three days, then they stopped testing. But it was nerve wracking until those results came back. Six people were led off our boat, but apparently the cruise before lost 40 people.

The return testing requirement was dropped while we were in the middle of the cruise, so that was a relief. (except for my sister who was hoping to test positive so she wouldn't have to go back to work :p)

skatfan

Airlines continue to step up their lobbying efforts to get the international testing requirement dropped. In absence of that, I'm hoping there's a Trump-appointed justice somewhere who can restore our freedoms.
Yeah it will be so much better to have COVID + people on planes without masks. Plus, the airlines can’t handle the passengers they have now.

skategal

Bunny mama
I hope no one is planning to go to/through Schippoll airport in Amsterdam anytime soon.

My husband is flying back today from his first work trip in 2.5 years.

Flew from Halifax-London-Brussels and then got train to Ghent.

This was a nightmare leg that included all airplanes and trains delayed or cancelled.

He finally arrived to his hotel in Ghent 24 hours after leaving our house. Total flying time 7 hours.

Then he flew to Amsterdam with 21 boxes of work stuff for an event and they didn’t arrive on time and Schipoll staff were pushing back saying they couldn’t get them the work stuff. Finally got it a day later after getting supervisors involved.

Now today he is flying out from Schipoll today and he told me his flight is two hours delayed.

The security line is 4 hours long if you don’t have Fastlane access.

Starbucks has 150 people in line and the moving sidewalk is broken causing seniors and people with disabilities to need assistance.

Fun times.

He’s actually on the flight to Toronto.

We will see if he makes his connection there but the flights to Halifax are about 2 hours late from Toronto everyday so he has a good chance.

What a mess.

I’m so glad I stayed home. :lol:

Spikefan

At the Hubbell Salon
I hope no one is planning to go to/through Schippoll airport in Amsterdam anytime soon.
We are planning Italy next spring and one of the flight options is through there. I definitely will not select that one as I keep hearing of their issues.

PRlady

And yet DH flew round trip Basel-Amsterdam without delay. Of course with both airports in Schengen zone that probably cut down on passport control etc.

We are so glad we are driving and not flying for our next three trips. Even with the price of gas. Our sturdy little Crosstrek is finally going to earn its keep; most days it just loafs around in its parking spot.

skategal

Bunny mama
And yet DH flew round trip Basel-Amsterdam without delay. Of course with both airports in Schengen zone that probably cut down on passport control etc.

We are so glad we are driving and not flying for our next three trips. Even with the price of gas. Our sturdy little Crosstrek is finally going to earn its keep; most days it just loafs around in its parking spot.
Yeah it’s weird how it works out.

Both ILs and us came through Toronto no problem two weeks apart with just a flight delay.

And Toronto airport is on the news
everyday for how bad the check-in, security, and customs lines are.

We aren’t flying again as a family until December. Hopefully it will be better by then.

skategal

Bunny mama
We are planning Italy next spring and one of the flight options is through there. I definitely will not select that one as I keep hearing of their issues.
That are all bad right now but most likely will be fine by next Spring.

That are all bad right now but most likely will be fine by next Spring.
I hope so. We have a trip to Mexico next spring and after a friend was left stranded for three days in Vancouver after a cancelled flight with two little kids I’m nervous about it. One thing is for sure, I’ll be investing in comprehensive travel insurance.

I’m also a little worried about my mil coming in September. She has major mobility problems and traveling that far is a lot for her at the best of times. They already tried to reschedule her for 24 hour layovers in both directions :rolleyes:

PRlady

I hope so. We have a trip to Mexico next spring and after a friend was left stranded for three days in Vancouver after a cancelled flight with two little kids I’m nervous about it. One thing is for sure, I’ll be investing in comprehensive travel insurance.

I’m also a little worried about my mil coming in September. She has major mobility problems and traveling that far is a lot for her at the best of times. They already tried to reschedule her for 24 hour layovers in both directions :rolleyes:
Isn’t your MIL in Newfoundland? That is a very long way to go between two places without major airport hubs.

Isn’t your MIL in Newfoundland? That is a very long way to go between two places without major airport hubs.
Yeah, she is. There’s really no easy way to fly across Canada at the best of times. I just really hope that it’s not awful for her.

skategal

Bunny mama

My husband is flying back today from his first work trip in 2.5 years.

Flew from Halifax-London-Brussels and then got train to Ghent.

This was a nightmare leg that included all airplanes and trains delayed or cancelled.

He finally arrived to his hotel in Ghent 24 hours after leaving our house. Total flying time 7 hours.

Then he flew to Amsterdam with 21 boxes of work stuff for an event and they didn’t arrive on time and Schipoll staff were pushing back saying they couldn’t get them the work stuff. Finally got it a day later after getting supervisors involved.

Now today he is flying out from Schipoll today and he told me his flight is two hours delayed.

The security line is 4 hours long if you don’t have Fastlane access.

Starbucks has 150 people in line and the moving sidewalk is broken causing seniors and people with disabilities to need assistance.

Fun times.

He’s actually on the flight to Toronto.

We will see if he makes his connection there but the flights to Halifax are about 2 hours late from Toronto everyday so he has a good chance.

What a mess.

I’m so glad I stayed home. :lol:
And just to finish it off, his flight from Toronto - Halifax is cancelled. :rolleyes:

This trip will live in the annals forever of bad trips for DH. :lol:

Louis

Private citizen
Assuming the neighbor was C19 positive (not a safe assumption), did the person who posted this wear a KN95 mask for the entire flight, never taking it off once to eat or drink?

Because we can't assume anything about the neighbor, did the person posting this mask and social distance in the days before and after the flight, to be sure that the flight is the only possible place that they could have gotten C19? I'm dubious.

From the twitter profile, this guy seems like a serial complainer / attention getter. All scientific evidence points to the fact that your own KN95 mask protects you even if no one else is masking. If you're that paranoid about C19, don't fly. Demand is far exceeding supply; plenty of others were willing to pay for that seat and probably thankful that masks are no longer required.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Assuming the neighbor was C19 positive (not a safe assumption), did the person who posted this wear a KN95 mask for the entire flight, never taking it off once to eat or drink?

Because we can't assume anything about the neighbor, did the person posting this mask and social distance in the days before and after the flight, to be sure that the flight is the only possible place that they could have gotten C19? I'm dubious.

From the twitter profile, this guy seems like a serial complainer / attention getter. All scientific evidence points to the fact that your own KN95 mask protects you even if no one else is masking. If you're that paranoid about C19, don't fly. Demand is far exceeding supply; plenty of others were willing to pay for that seat and probably thankful that masks are no longer required.
Sometimes people have no choice, but to travel whether it be for family or work reasons.

Even if the passenger was not the source of Covid, getting on a flight during a pandemic while you are coughing and spluttering all over the place is pig ignorant selfish behaviour. You are a bad person if you do it.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Oh and airline staff getting Covid is one of the factors behind many of the flight cancellations. But I guess they are all getting Covid on their visits to the supermarket and not in an enclosed crowded space with hundreds of people for hours on end.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
This might interest people:

Interesting that they don't mention anything about the impact of airline industry staff having covid or other health issues, only referring to "staffing shortages".

I just read a fascinating article in the New Yorker about the woman heading up the flight attendants' union in the US. Delta is the only one of the 4 major US airlines without a flight attendant union - and none of the other 3 were mentioned in the Atlantic article. Sounds like the AFA was able to work with CEOs of the 3 major (and some other union) airlines to negotiate a package as part of the CARES Act that helped those airlines keep staff on payroll so they are not facing the same staffing shortages (at least not health-related ones) as described in the Atlantic article.

Article from May 30, 2022: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/05/30/flight-attendants-fighting-back

ETA: I have my return flight on Thursday and am crossing fingers. Fortunately, it's a direct flight to Seattle, and I think coming from Singapore (vs Europe), on a non-US carrier, might give me better odds. 🤞

MsZem

Interesting that they don't mention anything about the impact of airline industry staff having covid or other health issues, only referring to "staffing shortages".

I just read a fascinating article in the New Yorker about the woman heading up the flight attendants' union in the US. Delta is the only one of the 4 major US airlines without a flight attendant union - and none of the other 3 were mentioned in the Atlantic article. Sounds like the AFA was able to work with CEOs of the 3 major (and some other union) airlines to negotiate a package as part of the CARES Act that helped those airlines keep staff on payroll so they are not facing the same staffing shortages (at least not health-related ones) as described in the Atlantic article.
I think that many of the staffing shortages - which are apparent not just in the US and involve airports as well as airlines - are due to people losing their jobs when air travel largely shut down in 2020. Even if they were kept on the payroll, they may have used the downtime to pursue other opportunities.

Not everyone is interested in coming back to jobs that are physically (and often emotionally) demanding, require work outside of normal hours, don't necessarily pay all that well, and can easily disappear again. And whether it's hiring new people for such jobs or retraining those who do want to return, ramping up to 2019 levels can't be done that quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information