What is happening at work?

CaliSteve

Rents in SF have fallen for the first time since Zillow started tracking them in 2014.

I just read my company's newly revised Employee manual. They now have a section on moving. If we are going to relocate, we need permission from our manager. But nothing about changing salaries (COL increase/decreases)

Its only a matter of time...

CaliSteve

We mandated work from home until the end of the year and will probably continue until the end of Q1 2021. We are not renewing our office lease and will downsize to another office in our current complex.

jenny12

I teach at a community college and they said we will be likely teaching online until next Summer. Overall, my students have said they prefer the online experience (though I think it might work better for certain subjects than others-I teach English). They said they like not having to worry about traffic and having more independence in their learning. I recognize that I’m teaching mainly 18-20 year olds and this is a lot easier of a transition than students in K-12.

I do Zoom for each of my classes once a week and then the rest of the week is online using Canvas. I try to offer extra Zoom sessions for students who are struggling or would like a more directive learning experience. Also, my school provides free chrome books and WiFi for students who need it.

While I personally miss the in person experience, I think my school is making do the best it can and I am proud of my students for adapting and having a positive attitude.

Last edited:

once_upon

Voter
Like my CEO. He loves it. Says our productivity is through the roof.

I wonder if this is an industry-specific thing?

I think it is.

I teach at a community college and they said we will be likely teaching online until next Summer. Overall, my students have said they prefer the online experience (though I think it might work better for certain subjects than others-I teach English). They said they like not having to worry about traffic and having more independence in their learning. I recognize that I’m teaching mainly 18-20 year olds and this is a lot easier of a transition than students in K-12.

I do Zoom for each of my classes once a week and then the rest of the week is online using Canvas. I try to offer extra Zoom sessions for students who are struggling or would like a more directive learning experience. Also, my school provides free chrome books and WiFi for students who need it.

While I personally miss the in person experience, I think my school is making do the best it can and I am proud of my students for adapting and having a positive attitude.
My youngest son needs to take a certain math course - it's required as a preq - he dropped out of the class and said he wont try again until he can have in person class again. But he recognizes thats best for him.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
My youngest son needs to take a certain math course - it's required as a preq - he dropped out of the class and said he wont try again until he can have in person class again. But he recognizes thats best for him.
My oldest nephew is blasting through any online math class he can find, but is holding off on a science course until spring hoping it will be at least 50% in person.

judiz

My daycare has been opened since June 15th and we had two cases so far. First was a parent so only the child had to quarantined. A few weeks ago the director tested positive. The school closed for one day for cleaning and then reopened. One staff member was told to quarantine, the rest of the staff was told it wasn't necessary. We all went to get tested anyway, no one tested positive. Director still home as her husband tested positive and she's not allowed back until her house is ********* free.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
I spoke with a friend in Berlin the other day and she said that she's under the impression that the reason why people are tired of restrictions is because there is no rhyme or reason to it, everyone is doing their own thing and they're implemented hastily and then aren't enforced or aren't enforceable.
That's a problem in a lot of places. For my bike club, our group rules have the following rules:
  • No more than 12 people (but the county changed it to 20 last night)
  • Masks on everyone
  • No closer to the bike in front of you than 8 ft (was 6 ft)
  • If the person in front of you isn't wearing a mask, then you need to be 30 ft behind.
  • No congregating at stop signs / traffic lights and re-groups
So think about this... we're all outside. Other people are outside jogging and biking. So someone not in the group passes you without a mask. Are you supposed to drop back 30 ft for them or just people in the group? And if someone in the group in front of you takes off their mask to eat or drink, how would you know so you can drop back 30 ft? And how can we maintain 6 ft distance at stop signs and still keep the group together? It was hard enough at some of the lights to get us all through during the green portion (short lights).

I told my group to just not clump together at traffic lights and to keep a reasonable distance from the bike in front of you and, for the most part, we did. We also moved the chairs on the patio at the coffee shop we stopped out from the table to make a circle with everyone at least 6 ft apart. I think that's the best that can be expected of us and some of the recommendations seem to be based on bad science anyway (like the 8ft/30ft thing).

Miezekatze

Yeah, I think that kind of stuff just completely confuses people.

My state made those rulebooks for all areas, like sports, culture, education, hotels, restaurants and then they publish changes to them and in the end nobody understands them anymore. They also tend to be in a terrible complicated language with paragraphs every where that are referenced at other parts of the documents.

Also a lot of restrictions were lifted over the summer and not reintroduced now that they would be necessary again.

Like for yoga, at the beginning the rules were very strict. Then they allowed brief physical contact between teacher and students for corrections again in June. But that would be insane to do in the current situation. But nobody automatically makes stuff stricter again.

And I think many people have forgotten the original rules by now, then new completely different ones are added on top or replaces others.

Even the police of my state said they can't control those new rules, because they change so quick, that they don't know themselves what they are and can't keep up and they vary between regions they have to control.

It seems somehow most governments and local governments somehow have started to totally overthink things, instead of acting quickly in uncomplicated ways and then they end up having to do a complete lockdown again (I can't believe in Wales people are again fighting about what goods can be sold in a supermarket that is only supposed to sell essential goods, I mean that's so totally beside what's actually important? Happened here too in March, but it's sort of not really what's going to make a difference when fighting a global ********* :shuffle: )

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
This is one reason why our rule was: if at least X% of your stock was considered essential, your store could be open and people could by anything in it. Very simple, no arguing over whether you can sell cheese but not candy. (Or whatever)

Aceon6

I found a use for all those work, trade show and event lanyards. I’ve been using them in mask on/mask off situations. I just clip the mask on and it’s right there when I need it.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I found a use for all those work, trade show and event lanyards. I’ve been using them in mask on/mask off situations. I just clip the mask on and it’s right there when I need it.
I've been using a cheap necklace chain to do the same thing and haven't understood why other people don't.

I love the lanyard idea.

Erin

Parents of school-age children in Saskatchewan (and I presume other places) were on this at the end of August. My Facebook feed was full of people showing off their kids' masks with lanyards and other people asking where they could buy them because so many places were sold out of them.

sk8pics

Where do you attach the clip?

Aceon6

Where do you attach the clip?
I have a bunch that either have an alligator clip or a question mark shaped clip. Those are the ones I’m using. So far, my favorite is a hospital lanyard that separates when it’s yanked. I’m still getting used to the lanyard, so having that protection is nice.

sk8pics

I have a bunch that either have an alligator clip or a question mark shaped clip. Those are the ones I’m using. So far, my favorite is a hospital lanyard that separates when it’s yanked. I’m still getting used to the lanyard, so having that protection is nice.
I mean, do you attach it to the ear loops or part of the mask?

Aceon6

I mean, do you attach it to the ear loops or part of the mask?
I attach to an ear loop. I’m only using a light weight lanyard, so it doesn’t pull when I put on the mask and stays pretty much hidden behind my ear.

KCC

I bought a small package of lobster clasps and added one to the other end of cheap necklaces so that each end of the chain can attach to an ear loop and my masks hang around my neck like a pair of readers on a chain. That system works well in situations where I put on and take off my mask frequently -- I'm only handling the ear loops ad I never drop the mask.

canbelto

Um okay here's a problem.
My co-teacher does nothing. I've accepted that -- she'll never help me plan, grade, or take attendance. I worked with her two years ago and she did nothing back then. She said she found me "intimidating."
But yesterday she was ASLEEP on camera in the zoom while I was teaching. Today I was teaching and her kids were screaming and hitting each other in the background. I had to put her on mute. This is getting to be a daily occurrence.
I hate to be a snitch but this is getting ridiculous.

Lizziebeth

Um okay here's a problem.
My co-teacher does nothing. I've accepted that -- she'll never help me plan, grade, or take attendance. I worked with her two years ago and she did nothing back then. She said she found me "intimidating."
But yesterday she was ASLEEP on camera in the zoom while I was teaching. Today I was teaching and her kids were screaming and hitting each other in the background. I had to put her on mute. This is getting to be a daily occurrence.
I hate to be a snitch but this is getting ridiculous.
if the kids saw it, the word will get out. I don't want you to get into trouble for not reporting it.

You need a gong or something to wake her up.

Louis

Private citizen
Yeah, everyone seems to be following the trend set by Google and big tech.

We're mandatory WFH through 30 June 2021 and won't be required in the office before 3 January 2022. :/

I at least appreciate the certainty and ability to plan.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Just about 20% of our hospital's patients are C19, or C19 rule-outs. There are constantly C19 holds in the ED because our hospital floors are full. The larger hospital across town is opening their emergency station, which is a converted parking garage. And we are using travelers, but losing half of them early from their contract so they can go to places like the Dakotas and make twice as much. It's a mess here, and even though I don't deal with the 'Rona in my regular every day job, I'm working overtime to help out because we're so swamped. I think mandatory overtime is in our near future.

once_upon

Voter
Just about 20% of our hospital's patients are C19, or C19 rule-outs. There are constantly C19 holds in the ED because our hospital floors are full. The larger hospital across town is opening their emergency station, which is a converted parking garage. And we are using travelers, but losing half of them early from their contract so they can go to places like the Dakotas and make twice as much. It's a mess here, and even though I don't deal with the 'Rona in my regular every day job, I'm working overtime to help out because we're so swamped. I think mandatory overtime is in our near future.
You aren't talking, like hospitals in ND have done, healthcare professionals work with C-19 if asymptotic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information