What is happening at work?

once_upon

Voter
The hours are different from the regular shift hours. I may be pulled from time to time, but generally only if the supervisor is in an assignment ,and in that case, the assignment is usually (if not always) in the non-C19 ICU.
Is it the discharge planner position? 👍

OlieRow

Last night I overheard some of our ED RNs talking about how the hospital system is paying RNs on the ********* floors $10-20/hr more for hazard pay depending on the unit. The ED RNs are excluded because "we don't take care of ********* patients". When they complained, they were told that they got free food, plane flyovers, etc. How insulting! Where do they think the admitted ********* patients come from?! We only admitted 3 during my 9hr shift yesterday evening. :rolleyes::angryfire

myhoneyhoney

I have a merchandiser refusing to return to work because her son's job has 1 cofirmed positive. Her son got tested and is negative, she is still refusing. Sigh

MacMadame

Staying at home
Lots of things are happening at my work. Our company is owned by another company that makes industrial furniture for businesses (like cubicles and standing desks and office chairs). Their employees can buy the furniture at quite the discount and now we can too! So a $600 standing desk for under $200. IIRC.

I love their furniture too. It's very stylish. But expensive. We'll get more details soon and I will decide if I want to work at a workstation in an office area or stay on the couch and if I can afford it even with the discounts.

Also, we're getting the Friday off before Labor Day (to go with the Monday) as a treat for a 4 day weekend. I think they are doing this because people are reporting they are working all the time, which is not good in the long run.

Then, they are starting a series of webinars we can attend about mental health. One on mindfulness, one about all the mental health benefits that come with our health insurance and another one I can't remember.

Finally, our lease is up on headquarters in less than a year so they are thinking about getting a smaller place because almost half of us said we wanted to WFH full-time and only 7% said they wanted to be in the office FT. However, I think this might be a mistake as we were bursting at the seams before SIP and they are talking about doubling or tripling the company over the next year. Even if only 1/3 of those employees end up working out of headquarters, it doesn't take too many of them wanting to be in the office at least part-time to fill the place up again.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

My son has been working 12-hour shifts, trading off his desk with someone who works the other 12 hours. That person and the person who sits next to him while he is working have both tested positive in the last week.

And those two people are still working?? 😳

Hope your son is able to stay safe. 🙏

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
And those two people are still working?? 😳

Hope your son is able to stay safe. 🙏

Thank you. Me, too.

They are not still working. My son was supposed to quarantine himself for two weeks, but he is on a two weeks on/two weeks off schedule and would have been off a month. He told his superiors that he would completely lose his mind (and they are severely shorthanded right now), so they put him in a corner by himself and everyone is hoping for the best.

Lynn226

I found out today that my physical office space will not reopen until August. We're not a priority for getting PPE because other locations have larger and more important backlogs than we do.

MacMadame

Staying at home
My son was supposed to quarantine himself for two weeks, but he is on a two weeks on/two weeks off schedule and would have been off a month. He told his superiors that he would completely lose his mind (and they are severely shorthanded right now), so they put him in a corner by himself and everyone is hoping for the best.
I bet they thought the two-weeks on/off would let people quarantine if they were infected without impacting the schedule.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I bet they thought the two-weeks on/off would let people quarantine if they were infected without impacting the schedule.

Yes, that was the basic plan--that everyone would have two weeks quarantine between their two weeks to develop symptoms.

It hasn't worked out that neatly at all, of course, but I will say that it has worked out that most people who have been sick or taken a vacation have been able to do so without taking a lot of leave. Even so, my son volunteered to be called in on his off weeks and has been working a lot.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

judiz

Well, it took 7 weeks but yesterday we had to shut down one classroom and tell those children and teachers to stay home pending the results of a ******** test. one of the children developed a fever and health department says child must be tested before class can be reopened. Given the frequency that children run fevers, this is the first of many closures.

once_upon

Voter
Well, it took 7 weeks but yesterday we had to shut down one classroom and tell those children and teachers to stay home pending the results of a ******** test. one of the children developed a fever and health department says child must be tested before class can be reopened. Given the frequency that children run fevers, this is the first of many closures.
Yes and given the number of tests available and the backlog on running them, can you imagine what happens in 2-4 weeks when all schools open?

quartz

almost, but not quite
I’m back at the college right now! Doing sign in/screening at the entrance, waiting for an apprentice group to show up and get in their milling hours still to be completed from the winter semester. Except - they aren’t here, its just me and my security guard wondering where they are.

While our shops were shut down, the ventilation system also went kaput, and since no one was allowed on campus to do any maintenance, we now have thousands and thousands of dollars of machinery that has gone rusty. :wideeyes:

I’m so glad to be back on campus for a bit, even though its not even remotely close to my job, and its all weird and different, but at least I feel somewhat useful.

Last edited:

judiz

Yes and given the number of tests available and the backlog on running them, can you imagine what happens in 2-4 weeks when all schools open?

We were told if the doctor can verify a fever is caused by strep throat,
the flu, or an ear infection, the board of health will allow the child to return and the class to reopen.

Dobre

I assume this just means students can come back once they feel better rather than waiting the full two weeks that will probably be required for those with *********.

judiz

I don't want children back with strep throat or the flu.

Just means the entire class won’t be kept home for two weeks. 24 hours on antibiotics for strep, 24 hours symptom free without medication for flu. We have parents calling every morning asking if their child can go to daycare that day.

LadyM76

I am working about 18 hours per week right now. I wish I could get more hours, but they just can't pay me anymore right now. My unemployment was $58 dollars for last week. I am lucky in that I was able to save my income tax return and most of the stimulus money, so we should be OK for a few months. Not sure what I'm going to do if things don't get better soon. It all gets so depressing sometimes....

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
My husband's workplace is at 20%. There are about five people who go to the office every day and a few more who work in other departments but interact with people in this office; everyone else WFH. None of the people going to the office have been bothering with masks and social distancing because there are only five of them there and it's a bunch of hogwash anyway.

One of the people who has been going to work every day started having symptoms last week and got tested Saturday, but continued coming to work while he waited for the results. He didn't tell anyone about his symptoms or about his test.

I'm sure you can all take it from here.

The building is now closed (again) for the foreseeable future. My husband had put himself down to WFH for the rest of the year and is feeling pretty pleased with himself at the moment.

KatieC

My office has four people who have worked there regularly. (We have been closed to the public since mid March.). I go in two days a week and wfh the remaining 3. Everyone else wfh. This Monday we have half staff in the office to review new procedures in the morning, the other half go in for the afternoon. And, if all goes well, we reopen to the public Tuesday morning. Not really looking forward to that. Although today I had to complete a procedure that required me to scan and send a document - while working from home without a printer. And, trying to follow new instructions telling me to use a template, but the template isn't available within the instructions. The template was buried in a document released 4 months ago. So maybe working with people and printers is a good thing.

once_upon

Voter
I can't imagine the number of phone calls my church is getting. We don't help with rent or utilities (or at least 5 months ago we didnt), but would get an average of 4 phones a week at that time.

Rent moratorium only delays the economic problems as no one i know can come up with 5 months of rent in a week.

Cachoo

I can't imagine the number of phone calls my church is getting. We don't help with rent or utilities (or at least 5 months ago we didnt), but would get an average of 4 phones a week at that time.

Rent moratorium only delays the economic problems as no one i know can come up with 5 months of rent in a week.

Agreed--and on top of that Congress is off until after Labor Day. Just talked to a sobbing man in Topeka. This is truly awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information