What is happening at work?

mjb52

We did a workshop for students as basically an experiment, I honestly didn't think anyone would sign up, and instead we got a great turnout, and it was really so awesome to see them. It was gratifying that they were interested b/c this was optional not for a class.

MacMadame

Staying at home
My work is having a webinar on WFH best practices and it's open to everyone (April 15th)

quartz

almost, but not quite
Last week I figured out Zoom and that settled my tech-anxiety down a bit. Now I have to do work meetings by Webex, so I will see in a bit if I can manage that. And the meetings aren’t even that much about work, they are more about checking in with each other and chatting and yakking. Or rather everyone else chatting and yakking and me pretending to be interested in chatting and yakking. :p

Marge_Simpson

We are actually getting some v*r*s discharges. I guess the powers that be decided it would lift people’s spirits if they knew about them, so if one of those patients (the only other patients we have now are obstetrics and newborns) is discharged they call a “happy code” and then say what floor it’s on.
On another positive note, we now have access to convalescent plasma, which is being collected by New York Blood Center.

Cachoo

I see a headline that dodo head says we are past the peak with the ***** and yet I am still getting call after call at 211 of people who are sick and requesting the test.

canbelto

I just got off a zoom conference call with my class and one student (who is 16) was sick as a dog and coughing up a storm. His whole family is sick. I wish the right wing pundits would stop this canard that this only affects the elderly.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Nebraska hasn't hit its peak yet. I think NYC might be at its peak, but certainly not the rest of the country.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Nebraska hasn't hit its peak yet. I think NYC might be at its peak, but certainly not the rest of the country.
We're close. It's predicted to happen in a few days depending on what county you live in. But the Governor cautioned to day that one day of better numbers is not a trend.

once_upon

Voter
Nebraska wasnt predicted to hit its peak until April 24 or 26. Don't know what the Grand Island outbreak means for that.
I was encouraged that Cuomo thinks they "may" have plateaued but instituted a stay at home order until May 15. That seems reasonable

Dobre

Me yesterday: Feeling pretty good because I had managed to scrape, prime, and paint the border on the eaves of my parents' house and, while there were still a few sticky & unreachable areas to attempt, it seemed like my remaining time on a very high ladder was limited.

Me today: Painting an architectural detail on the roof.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I hope that all the people in my neighbourhood who are banging pots and pans, letting off horns, etc. etc., at 7 pm will remember at the next election time how much they loved the healthcare workers. And not vote for candidates from parties who want to cut taxes, reduce the size of eville big government, etc. etc. etc.

KatieC

Tomorrow I am to help receive and set up laptops for everyone, even those who prefer to continue working at the office. I am one who likes the office. Tonight I got two hours of overtime, mostly advising clients on how to return unwanted benefits.

MacMadame

Staying at home
For some reason, we've been asked to record 20-40 second video of ourselves in a meeting (or pretending). I couldn't get anything to record when Iw as actually in a meeting so I just did a fake one. I held Sparky during it so I didn't feel so dopey. I wish they had told us what the reason was so I could have tailored mine to that purpose.

Our CEO had been having these random contests to give away Amazon gift cards. I didn't do the first one but I won one in the second giveaway.

We've canceled this week's town hall. There was a webinar this week that gave me enough of the CEO to last until next week TBH. So far we've had them every 1.5 weeks.

My boss continues to cancel most of our daily stand-ups in favor of having us put our status in Slack. I personally think this is a bad idea. I think I will tell him so tomorrow during our "weekly" 1-on-1.

Japanfan

We lost one of our nursing students to C19 this week :(

I'm sorry @Kasey.

One of my clients is a Emergency Ward nurse. She emailed me recently that one of her colleagues had tested positive. It really brought the situation home and reminded me of an interview - a few weeks back - with an expert who said everyone would know someone who had it, or at least know someone who knows someone who had it. And this is a part of Canada that is doing relatively well compared to other places.

vesperholly

I managed Webex just fine. Now everyone else wants to go back to Zoom. 🤷🏼‍♀️
We switched to WebEx last night and it had a horrible echo/delay for some people. Also the picture quality was strangely poor and the volume was uneven. We'll probably go back to Zoom.

skateycat

Shortest One in the House
I think I just said no to a scholarly society who wanted to put on a special session honoring indigenous language communities by bringing them all together at an international conference in January 2021 in San Francisco. They were inviting me to organize it, and until there's a vaccine and herd immunity, I'm not doing it.

The conference will probably get cancelled or moved to Florida anyway because Gavin Newsom has also said that large public events should not happen until there's a vaccine and herd immunity anyway.

Dobre

I think I just said no to a scholarly society who wanted to put on a special session honoring indigenous language communities by bringing them all together at an international conference in January 2021 in San Francisco.

Good for you.

Bringing together and then redispursing a whole bunch of people from different cultures that are already in danger seems like a brilliant idea:rolleyes:.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Still working from home. The uni had moved all summer classes online back during Spring Break, and we're now making plans for Fall, which is hard to do when you want to hold classes on campus but suspect that you cannot.

I've been working from my kitchen table. The chairs there are not comfortable. I may need to get a tiny desk and a real chair, if I'm doing this for the duration. Many other people are doing the same thing, as sales of office furniture are way up in the US right now.

Although at the moment, the weather is nice, so I'm working from my back porch, which is actually more comfortable than my kitchen table, even though these porch chairs are those plastic ones the people who used to live here left behind as trash. Seventeen years later, they're still ugly, but they're doing their thing.

skateycat

Shortest One in the House
I may need to get a tiny desk and a real chair, if I'm doing this for the duration. Many other people are doing the same thing, as sales of office furniture are way up in the US right now.

Yep, working on rounding out the office furniture situation as we speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information