What happens after Freeskate 6?

romanovasrose

Hello, everyone! I am seventeen years old and I began skating on January 27, 2018. I went through the basics pretty fast, testing out of Basic 6 on the 19th of May. Fast-forward to two days ago when I landed my loop as I prepare to move on to Freeskate 4. With Freeskate 6 getting close, I'm curious as to what happens afterwards learning-wise. Will I be moving strictly to private coaching?

gkelly

Most likely. It depends whether your rink or club offers any group instruction at higher levels. Most don't.

You're in the US?

Freeskate 6 is the end of the USFS learn-to-skate curriculum. ISI has a curriculum that continues through high-level skills, but even those rinks that use the ISI class structure often don't offer classes at higher levels if few skaters would sign up for them.

Some skating clubs offer a "bridge program" (which might include some group instruction) for skater moving from group lessons into standard USFS membership/testing/competition.

Check with the skating director at the rink where you skate and with your local figure skating club for what they offer and what your options will be if you finish the group classes available and want to continue.

treesprite

Some rinks have advanced classes for freestyle. Here there are two levels of jump classes, spin classes, and MIF classes. But I think most of the skaters who go to those classes are also taking private lessons. It sounds like you are progressing at a good pace even with just group lessons, so you might make even faster progress with privates. Once you start privates, you can start working on taking your regular tests and work on programs.

romanovasrose

Most likely. It depends whether your rink or club offers any group instruction at higher levels. Most don't.

You're in the US?

Freeskate 6 is the end of the USFS learn-to-skate curriculum. ISI has a curriculum that continues through high-level skills, but even those rinks that use the ISI class structure often don't offer classes at higher levels if few skaters would sign up for them.

Some skating clubs offer a "bridge program" (which might include some group instruction) for skater moving from group lessons into standard USFS membership/testing/competition.

Check with the skating director at the rink where you skate and with your local figure skating club for what they offer and what your options will be if you finish the group classes available and want to continue.

Yes. I skate in Illinois.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information