What does re-opening look like?

gkelly

It looks like the volleyball court in the park behind my combo is back in business.

The tree that stands in the line of sight between my balcony and the court is more full of foliage now than in the spring when the net was taken down and police tape put up, so I can't tell whether the net is back. But the tape is gone and there seem to be full teams playing a game there now.

Can the baseball fields be far behind?

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The World Economic Forum, an event where rich and powerful people get together in Davos, Switzerland each January to decide how best to be rich and powerful, has postponed its annual conference until summer 2021.

I always assume rich and powerful people have greater access to information than I, so if they're going with that 2020 phrase, "abundance of caution," until summertime then it's a safe guess things aren't going to be back to normal much before then.

That's not a shocking idea, but it is confirmation.

Louis

Private citizen
The World Economic Forum, an event where rich and powerful people get together in Davos, Switzerland each January to decide how best to be rich and powerful, has postponed its annual conference until summer 2021.

I always assume rich and powerful people have greater access to information than I, so if they're going with that 2020 phrase, "abundance of caution," until summertime then it's a safe guess things aren't going to be back to normal much before then.

That's not a shocking idea, but it is confirmation.

They’re also 1) mostly older and at the ages where C-19 starts becoming worse, and 2) leaders of companies / organisations / countries that could suffer serious instability and financial repercussions if execs were to die or become debilitated.

Organizations in general are being really cautious about anything that could cause bad PR or get them sued.

Plus events like this cost a fortune and postponing later on is usually a lot more expensive. And Davos in winter is not a place that’s going to be well ventilated unless they hold meetings on ski slopes.

No brainer to postpone this one.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think that's why a lot of companies who can do most of their work away from the office are keeping their offices closed well into 2021. There really isn't much of an upside to opening up the offices for them. So why not wait?

Miezekatze

The 100th Salzburg festival concluded yesterday.

They say of their limited capacity 97% of tickets were sold, they had 76500 spectators from 39 countries this year

In a normal year they would have sold 240000 tickets.

Still they made a small revenue of 8,7 million.

They did 3600 *********-Tests on the artists and musicians (mostly precautionary and on orchestras and other artists that could not social distance during performances).

They held 53 concerts, 2 operas and 29 theater events, plus some additional stuff like readings.

I'd guess it was probably the most successful and ambitious cultural event of 2020?

I hope their experiences with the security measures can be adopted by other countries doing similar events.

Miezekatze

They’re also 1) mostly older and at the ages where C-19 starts becoming worse, and 2) leaders of companies / organisations / countries that could suffer serious instability and financial repercussions if execs were to die or become debilitated.

Organizations in general are being really cautious about anything that could cause bad PR or get them sued.

Plus events like this cost a fortune and postponing later on is usually a lot more expensive. And Davos in winter is not a place that’s going to be well ventilated unless they hold meetings on ski slopes.

No brainer to postpone this one.

Yeah I agree with all of that.

I also think you basically need to postpone or cancel at the point of time where you otherwise would have to sign contracts or start spending money and planning such big events starts months before it takes place.

Most cities here have already made decisions in July or August on whether and how to hold their local christmas markets. So deciding on something that big, international and important like the Davos conference for January 2021 is just a normal timeframe IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information