What does re-opening look like?

Louis

Private citizen
But it's not as if there are just some completely unfounded allegations from a couple of disgruntled tourists.

Thanks for this context, it does sound like there's more to the story.

I will say that the general consensus on this board :saint: is that anyone who travelled after March 1 was absolutely crazy, in need of a lobotomy, deserved several threads in which the topic was brought up again and again and again as a sign of poor judgment, general :EVILLE:, etc. So I'm a bit skeptical to now hear from many of the same individuals that people who flew across countries and continents during an even later period had no ideas of the risks, deserve financial compensation, etc.

If there had been an undisclosed outbreak in Calabria and I was suing the hotel I stayed in, somehow I think the attitudes of those on this board would be very different. :lol:

Miezekatze

There was a short piece on the small open show tennis tournament that's going on in Berlin right now (with whooping 800 spectators) on TV news here yesterday and the sports moderator sounded as excited as if he was reporting about Wimbledon or something :lol:

I think if Germany managed to put on a small skating competition with skaters from like 5 countries this years, at least it would have the chance to actually land on the news (at least as long as not too many other sports have returned :shuffle: )

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I will say that the general consensus on this board :saint: is that anyone who travelled after March 1 was absolutely crazy, in need of a lobotomy, deserved several threads in which the topic was brought up again and again and again as a sign of poor judgment, general :EVILLE:, etc. So I'm a bit skeptical to now hear from many of the same individuals that people who flew across countries and continents during an even later period had no ideas of the risks, deserve financial compensation, etc.

:ROFLMAO: You truly are a skating fan. "Why does everyone on this board hate Bourne and Kraatz?"

once_upon

Voter
I guess this is reopening. My church did a parking lot picnic and praise service tonight. Part of that service was communion

The bread was animal crackers package and the juice was grape juice drink boxes.

I watched by Facebook video.

morqet

rising like a phoenix

UK Government has just published the next phase of their reopening strategy. It's a shift to being able to implement much more targeted lockdowns where needed, whether it's geographical or targeting a high risk sector.

From August, they'll be encouraging employers to gradually bring workers back to the office, reopening most other leisure facilities (like ice rinks! :cheer2:) and piloting reopening for larger gatherings like theatre and sports events.

MsZem

I saw that article in The Daily Beast. Much of it is true, but this should be clarified:
If you ask Dr. Siegal Sadetzki, the head of the nation’s public health service, who served as an Israeli Dr. Anthony Fauci for the past six months and quit her job on Tuesday, the government “has lost its compass.”

“I have come to the conclusion that in the newly created conditions under which my professional opinion is not accepted—I can no longer help to effectively cope with the spread of the *****.”
Sadetzki is not really equivalent to Fauci. While she is an epidemiologist, her specialty is cancer and radiation, not infectious diseases or virology. Her professional opinion is that everything should be shut down for extended periods of time, which is not sustainable. She shut down people in the Ministry of Health who do have relevant expertise; opposed widespread testing and testing of asymptomatic and/or recently quarantined people; and I believe opposed setting up a contact tracing operation not under the authority of the Ministry of Health (which does not have the experience or infrastructure to deal with a challenge of this scope). There has also been very little transparency in sharing information with the public, making decisions seem arbitrary - and as the article notes, instructions are constantly shifting for no apparent reason.

Israel is in bad shape for two major reasons (1) a completely irresponsible reopening, due in large part to public pressure because of high unemployment and people going out of business. That could have been avoided if the government had provided a reasonable stimulus to those who needed it. Instead it rushed everything, and you can't reopen the economy if the schools aren't open, so they rushed that too. (2) The authorities did not take the time during the lockdown and when infection rates were low to test, set up a robust contact tracing operation, or do much of anything to prepare for any outbreaks. To her credit, Sadetzki opposed the first, but she contributed to the second. And even though everyone knows that we need someone to manage the CV response and that this person will need to have real authority, the government isn't actually doing anything about it. Possibly because the Ministry of Health doesn't want others poaching on its territory, and because Bibi doesn't want anyone to become popular by successfully dealing with things.

And so we're screwed. But it does seem like mask-wearing and distancing are on the rise, so maybe we'll manage to get things under control.

The bottom line: countries whose leaders think strategically, engage in evidence-based decision-making, and lead by example have done well in the long term.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
but I had no idea theatres and orchestras could even
The Vienna State Opera has been holding piano-accompanied vocal recitals with audience since the beginning of June. They held a gala celebration for their outgoing director with full orchestra and long post -performance speeches with a bunch of suits onstage. Opera singers have been been tweeting about performing in Spain.

Miezekatze

I think most European countries have some sort of indoor theater and opera program back up, but it's mostly in the range of 100 spectators and a limited program on stage and a lot of theaters that theoretically are allowed to open are still closed, because of financial reasons. I think the state funded theaters have a bit more possibility to open, because they might receive financial subventions, for the private theaters it's much more difficult.

One State theater had to put their ensemble in a 2 week quarantine 4 weeks ago, because a family member of an actor was tested positive, but otherwise I think there were no big problems so far here.

Miezekatze

Here some German cruises are restarting (I think Hurtingrouten has also started some time ago in a limited fashion), but only with short trips (3 to 7 days) on the North and East Sea, without anybody being allowed to leave the ship at any stops. I guess one has to be a big cruise fan in order to get what's attractive about that :shuffle: (the on-ship activities and buffets are of course also limited).

once_upon

Voter
Germany has beautiful scenery on rivers but no port stops would be hard. Viking river cruises dont have buffets but many of the ship areas are not able to socially distance even with only 110 (including staff) on board.

Miezekatze

I took a look and I think most of the cruises that are starting are taking a route from Germany to Norway, so I guess people at least get to see some fjords.

But I wonder how well the safety measures can work on those ships, considering how strongly the ***** spread on some cruises before. They are allowed to have 60% of their guest capacity, which isn't so little, considering there's lots of indoor spaces on cruise ships.

No land stops obviously will only protect people in other countries from the people on the ship, but still means lots of people will be stuck together on a ship for 7 days.

Sylvia

Wishing I could go back to the Lake Placid JGP
The July grand sumo tournament got underway in Tokyo on Sunday with a limited audience:
The Japan Sumo Association opted to cancel the Summer Grand Tournament in May amid a nationwide state of emergency declared over the ******** *********. The July meet was delayed by two weeks and moved from its traditional location in Nagoya, central Japan, to the capital to mitigate the risk of infection posed by travel.
Despite the recent rise in confirmed cases of infections, the JSA decided to admit about 2,500 fans per day to Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan, which is often filled to its capacity of about 11,000 for the duration of the sport's marquee event, which is normally held six times a year with three of the six tournaments taking place in Tokyo.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I went for my regular 6 month blood test this morning.

The current procedure is to call from the parking lot, answer a bunch of questions, wait for them to call you back with a secret password (Daisy Duck in case you want to steal my identity) and then you can go in to the lab.

Most of the questions were the ones one would expect- a list of symptoms, asking if I'd been exposed or had gone to one of the nasty states (not listed by name but I knew which ones they meant) and then the exciting new question- had I been to a pool party.

Daisy Duck probably goes to pool parties all the time, but I could only say no.

annie720

My local branch library reopened yesterday and I went mid-day and checked out a couple of books. This is a newer but underused branch that rarely had more than 5 patrons at a time even before the *********. Curbside pickup is still available and I had been using that, but since it usually took at least a week to get items even if they were on the shelf when reserved, it's nice to be able to go in and take the book from the shelf. There were two other customers inside that I saw. Seems safer than a grocery store since there are fewer people and a self checkout. I was never closer than 12 feet to another person.

Last edited:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
The Irish Government published a "green list" of countries from where inbound passengers are not required to do a 14 day quarantine. They are still advising people not to travel unless essential so the messaging is a bit mixed. There was also some confusion as to whether travel insurance would cover you if you went on holiday, but that has been resolved.

The countries and territories on the list all have the same or lower infection rates than Ireland.

San Marino, Gibraltar, Monaco, Latvia, Slovakia, Greenland, Greece, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Estonia, Hungary, Malta, Finland, Norway and Italy.

MsZem

Jemele Hill hits the nail on the head again!

Alternatively, the Marlins may have provided a wakeup call for everyone. Mike Trout considered opting out of the season (his wife gave birth recently) but he's talked about how responsible the players are being with the safety protocols.

The Marlins have now played their first game since the positive tests began, with a roster full of replacements - including Eddy Alvarez (short track Olympic medalist who used to date Ashley Wagner). They won.

Miezekatze

The biggest open indoor concert venue in Germany is now up to 2400 people capacity (they started with 800)

I think it has been going well, because no problems have been reported.

Because it's not really financially very lucrative to hold concerts in big arenas with so little capacity, there's not really many similar things going on, but I think their concepts hopefully can be used by other venues in the future:

The stage is placed in the middle of the arena and the audience around it, in physically seperated groups with up to 8 people.

The hygiene concept is mainly aimed at avoiding people meeting during entry (entry is outdoors with contact-free scanning of tickets) and I think with time slots and the way to the own seats are designed so that groups meet other groups as little as possible. Masks have to be worn when walking to the seats or the bathroom.

i think it looks like the groups are standing very close together in the video in parts, but I think that's due to the perspective.

I hope they can keep playing over fall/winter, but that of course depends on the ********* situation I guess.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
My local Target has Clorox Wipe 3 packs (large sized- 70 wipes per cannister) on their shelves, one 3 pack per customer.

Check online to see which stores have them (that's how I found out about the ones I just bought- and no, I'm not keeping them all- 2 go to my friend Bookseller).

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I actually still have Clorox wipes because I am not using them that often (I mostly clean with spray) and because I retrieved the ones I was keeping in my classroom the first time they let us in after school closed. It was actually really funny. About a week before schools closed, they notified us that they were temperately suspending the rule against teachers bringing in their own cleaning supplies.

All of us were like... there was all rule against that? Oh... yeah, we've totally been following it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information