What does re-opening look like?

MacMadame

Staying at home
I am reading headlines where it seems like teacher's unions are fight back against these unworkable re-opening plans. How prevalent is that and how well do FSU teachers think it will work?

canbelto

I am reading headlines where it seems like teacher's unions are fight back against these unworkable re-opening plans. How prevalent is that and how well do FSU teachers think it will work?
Well in NYC the plan seemingly is to have no plan. I'm in a FB group where there's endless speculation about the fall but no actual plan. So ...

Tony Wheeler

Florida shut down all bars again-- bars being defined as 50% or more of revenue coming from alcohol. It's looking more and more like spring break on the beach, though, and all the restaurants that use their food as a 'cover' for the actual bar area are allowed to remain open with little to no regulation on how things are being done.

And I guarantee the Governor/Mayor come back in a week or two and say "We don't know how the numbers keep rising!"

Another lockdown or at least a shutdown of just about everything is imminent, and I think it's going to start spreading from state to state very quickly.. as in the next week.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
If the unions are serious about it, I think it will work. If teachers strike over it, the governors will be screwed. Depends on how far the unions are willing to go and how united their membership is.

once_upon

Voter
Omaha Schools announced the plan (or proposed not sure which). Students last name start with A-J go to school Monday and Tuesday. L-Z go to school Thursday and Friday. Groups alternate Wednesday. Not sure how that will work.

Miezekatze

I'm on my first long distance train ride in Germany and have to say people are rather good with mask wearing and distancing. Also the train is not so crowded yet, so I found a place with 2 meters distance to the next travelers.

Louis

Private citizen
I can't say I'm terribly surprised about the crowds in Bournemouth.

• There was a heatwave (over 90F / 30C), and most people don't have air conditioning
  • Most people are still trapped at home, with no air conditioning, and generally poor insulation usually means homes turn into ovens
  • Most things remain closed, but outdoor activities are OK
  • People are being encouraged to drive everywhere v. use public transit
  • The weekend forecast was horrific (and it feels like winter today :lol: )
  • There remains enormous uncertainty whether anyone will be allowed to go anywhere for summer sun

People were largely doing what they were told to do, at least until they arrived at the beach. (And masks are not required.)

hanca

Values her privacy
I can't say I'm terribly surprised about the crowds in Bournemouth.

• There was a heatwave (over 90F / 30C), and most people don't have air conditioning
  • Most people are still trapped at home, with no air conditioning, and generally poor insulation usually means homes turn into ovens
  • Most things remain closed, but outdoor activities are OK
  • People are being encouraged to drive everywhere v. use public transit
  • The weekend forecast was horrific (and it feels like winter today :lol: )
  • There remains enormous uncertainty whether anyone will be allowed to go anywhere for summer sun

People were largely doing what they were told to do, at least until they arrived at the beach. (And masks are not required.)
I agree with most of this, but it doesn’t feel like winter today. It is 19 degrees C, that’s a normal summer temperature. Yes, it is raining on and off, but many summers it is raining constantly, so the heatwave we had is like a gift, and now it turned back into ‘normal’ English summer. I do hope that it will go back to sun though. I enjoy laying in my garden in my bikini and reading, now when I am not working!

clairecloutier

The Massachusetts plan was just released but is already drawing criticism from both parents and teachers.

I understand teachers’ concerns about safety issues and unrealistic expectations and workload. It makes sense, and those concerns need to be addressed. And so far the federal gov’t has not provided sufficient funds to address many of these issues in a comprehensive way.

And then there’s parents. According to a survey in the Boston Herald, less than 50% of parents in MA are comfortable sending kids back to school.

Barbara Manatee

Yikes. 971 new cases in Clark County (Las Vegas) today. The previous Nevada STATE record was 480. Test positivity rate is 29.42%.

Don't anyone dare tell me we went too far, we spent too much, we limited too many freedoms.

manhn

Anyone a Golds Gym member? I am in my run and there is a huge line up there. Initially, I thought it was a lineup for the Michaels. I was thinking, ugh, people are still knitting?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The government decisions are one better than the other:
1. there are a lot of cases in the city Bat Yam. Let's lock Tiberias down!
the lockdown in Tiberias did nothing to the numbers in Bat Yam
2. let's lockdown Bat Yam and it's beaches on the lovely sunny weekend! Oh, what a shocker, people walked another 30m to the next city's beach, which is open...

MsZem

The government decisions are one better than the other:
1. there are a lot of cases in the city Bat Yam. Let's lock Tiberias down!
the lockdown in Tiberias did nothing to the numbers in Bat Yam
2. let's lockdown Bat Yam and it's beaches on the lovely sunny weekend! Oh, what a shocker, people walked another 30m to the next city's beach, which is open...
Don't forget the ever-popular "let's have weddings of up to 250 people indoors" while the cops chase people who aren't wearing masks outdoors.

This is not that hard: people should wear masks when they are indoors/can't distance, testing needs to be done quickly, contact tracing is necessary, and people quarantining at home just get their families sick too. They knew this back in April!

I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Bennett. He seems to be the only one capable of long-term planning.

cholla

High ground loner
I'm in my second hometown, Chamonix, I have been hiking for a good 6 hours and the mountain is almost desert. Right now I'm in a mountain hut overlooking a glacier and the only other mountaineers having lunch on the deck are Italians. It feels SO GOOD to hear Italian again. It's the most beautiful language in the world ❤ They are young, very tanned and very good looking 🤗. Early this morning, almost all the cars on the parking lot in the valley had foreign plates, mainly Swizz, German and Czechs. Welcome back fellow Europeans!! Life, even up there, isn't back to normal though. The 2 guys from the hut staff are wearing masks (we have too when we go inside) and the place is almost empty when it's usually packed at this time of year. For those who "can't breath" when they mask up, we are at almost 3500 meters, and even slightly hypoxic from altitude, well, nobody is fainting from hypercapnia (carbon monoxyde retention) or even out of breath while wearing the damn thing... You have to wear one in the cable-car(s) too and everybody comply. Why is it so damn difficult for some people at sea level? I have had two clients last week who left the shop rather than masking up. I'm really getting tired of telling people to please mask up, and please keep it over your nose, and please put in on before coming in, not once you've traveled through all the premises. I think I'm mentally ready to retire from work and to become a permanent mountaineer/hiker/high ground loner 😎

The Italians are drinking LOTS of beers, (celebrating a very hard route they completed on a nearby peak) and there will be some heavy snoring in the hut dormitory tonight! :lol: Fortunately for me, I'm not staying overnight. Anyway mountain huts have their sleeping capacity divided by 2 or 3 because of Cov19 so finding room is hard.

Dobre

I feel strongly that one of the local plants here should be testing everyone.
I posted the above on Friday. Guess what company now has 37 cases. Technically not the plant I was referring to as the site with the 37 cases is a different site. So I will repeat, the local plant--owned by the same company--should be testing everyone.
Following up with the news that now it turns out this company (Lamb Weston) is actually connected to 335 of Umatilla County's 567 cases.

No surprise. You know, I think it is time for a real change regarding the current testing strategy. We need to be ahead of this thing. Not waiting for ___ people to be diagnosed at a company before testing the whole workforce.

There are obvious businesses & locations with the capability of infecting an entire community. Even if they do everything right, there are just some places that serve so many people.

If I could predict where the most likely outbreak in a county was going to be, then a combination of health officials, county government, and business operatives could have predicted it as well.

Yes, tests are still limited here. (Nowhere near as badly as they were at the beginning of the epidemic). But still, you ask yourself what businesses/locations have the most workers in an area, what businesses have the highest risk due to working conditions, what businesses are the least likely to take action for the safety of those workers until compelled to do so, and what businesses serve as community hubs. Then go in & test. If a large percent of the county's workforce is there, then the odds of it not getting into that business are very low. Then the capacity for spread expands exponentially.

I realize this is no panacea. You could test everyone and the next week have someone new come in that reinfects the plant. But if you go in early and find a bunch of ill workers, you can at least have health task forces inspecting the safety conditions & putting pressure on the company to make changes early. Or maybe you ID those places prior to any infections, do the inspecting/advice, and set up periodic random testing + go in and test as soon as infections start escalating within that community.

Also the church with the big outbreak in Union County--the one that defied shutdown regulations--is run by a bishop or reverend in charge of 3 or 4 other churches in the Pacific Northwest. Church representatives from those other churches won't talk to reporters. Now what are the odds that they are following safety guidelines? (Zero?)

Last edited:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member

Tony Wheeler

Miami continues to back-track, shutting down the beaches for the holiday weekend and stopping alcohol sales (at the places still allowed to sell) at midnight rather than the usual 5AM.

The city is still filling up with vacationers trying to 'turn up'.

The rent prices have not dropped at all yet here, typically around the $2000 for a one bedroom apartment. Since all of Miami Beach jobs rely on service/tourism industries, I don't know why ANYONE would stay here another year with another shutdown looming. Also, Florida only guarantees to this point 12 weeks of unemployment pay (lowest in the country along with another state or two), and I haven't seen anything definitive about them extending it. That means for most people, myself included, those benefits would run out in a week or two.

I'm trying to keep my savings frozen in place to buy something elsewhere rather than continue to pay rent to someone else while not working for who knows how long, but the only way I'm going to get a pre-qual is via a bank statement-- and lenders aren't exactly handing out money right now.

I've saved money for a long time, in big part because I've worked every Friday and Saturday night for the last 5 years. I can't imagine what the people are doing who have nothing saved and are using most of their unemployment benefits up on rent alone.

skatfan

Its going to be very tough in 4 weeks when unemployment dries up, PPP dries up, mortgages and rents are due and folks are going hungry. Gonna make the Black Lives Matter protests look like child's play.

I am so full grief at how badly this is going. My state is in free fall, the governor should be reinstituting the stay at home order but isn't. Having done the graveside service for a friend who died of it, and thinking about the almost 130,000 lives lost in the same way, it is just astounding to me that we have not created a way for communal lament about those deaths, how little they are discussed, how often our leaders skate past them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information