What does re-opening look like?

bladesofgorey

The "Leadership" at my place of work sent a "here's how we are bringing everyone back on campus in phases and oh btw surprise we are already in phase two" email.

I am privy to their committee plans which consisted of a simple flowchart with dumb standard things (social distance! disinfect high touch areas!) that they literally stole directly from a different Uni. No mention of proper ventilation and filtration (all our HVAC systems in my building and a few others have been broken since I started working there) or mandatory filter upgrades until I emailed them about this aspect and they hastily added prepare buildings for ventilation upgrades (but not install and test, funny, that) to the chart.

Thankfully our state released enforced guidelines for Higher Ed staged re-openings two days later that are in conflict with our announced plans but the President is still planning to do away with work from home for all staff- even though the state insists all employees who are able to perform their jobs from home should continue to do so until there are better treatments/ a vaccine.

The campus is not planning to test employees. They announced they will be testing student athletes who are returning this week- but with antibody tests or proper PCR tests. Since IgG for this generally isn't detectable until after a person is no longer infectious, it just goes to show that they haven't bothered to do even the smallest amount of research to protect students, staff, and faculty.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Here's the second article I've posted about the return of The Bold And The Beautiful and it's even better than the first because:

“We have some life-like blow up dolls that have been sitting around here for the past 15 years, that we’ve used for various other stories — (like) when people were presumed dead,” says Bell. “We’re dusting off the dolls and putting new wigs and make-up on them and they'll be featured in love scenes.”

MsZem

Here's the second article I've posted about the return of The Bold And The Beautiful and it's even better than the first because:

“We have some life-like blow up dolls that have been sitting around here for the past 15 years, that we’ve used for various other stories — (like) when people were presumed dead,” says Bell. “We’re dusting off the dolls and putting new wigs and make-up on them and they'll be featured in love scenes.”
They have a better plan in place than certain governments.

Dave of the North

How can one visit family members if the duration of the visit is less than the quarantine time?

I guess their family members self-isolate with them.

Are you talking government long term care facilities?
Even with a lot of restrictions lifted I don't think long term care facilities are allowing visitors. Dad lives in a senior living complex that has independent and assisted living. No leaving premises or visitors inside facilities/apartments.

It seems to be nursing homes, assisted living etc. All of them with the exception of the Campbellton area. Not clear if there are other exceptions.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
My mom's retirement community (she's in independent living) has just started allowing visitors. My mom is allowed to one have person over to her apartment at a time. I thought she would arrange for my brother to come, or possibly my niece who lives even closer - nope! She wants her friend from Philadelphia to drop by :lol: She's very excited to make lunch and have them sit 10 feet apart while they talk.

When I talked to my mom today, she said she moved to this place so she'd always have someone to eat dinner with. That broke my heart a little - my mom is definitely a social butterfly, and staying home has been really hard on her. I'm glad she can have a friend over.

Tony Wheeler

45 businesses in Miami were cited for not following rules on social distancing as they had promised with reopening. 3 were shut down for 24 hours as 'punishment'. The Miami mayor in his press conferences says he thinks that the hotspot here (biggest surge in the entire state) is because of the restaurants opening and people thinking they are all in the clear. You think?! There is endless video on social media showing people just don't care.

Simply citing the restaurants and saying 'You better not do that anymore!' isn't going to do much.

Phase 3 is on hold still.

I'm for sure leaving at the end of my lease and praying a pre-qualification for mortgage based on my bank account statement goes through. Nothing is going to change here any time soon.

Dobre

Simply citing the restaurants and saying 'You better not do that anymore!' isn't going to do much.

True. Though it gives the authorities higher ground for what may inevitably become steeper consequences.

Texas is taking away liquor licenses from bars for 30 days, which ixnays everyone's income for a full month and is both a real consequence + should be a genuine deterrent to similar establishments.

I can't say how unimpressed I am by the I'm-not-going-to-enforce-anything sheriffs. Allowing the vulnerable people in their communities to suffer, and just what are these sheriffs going to do when the problem becomes more serious locally and they suddenly want people to follow health advice? I mean, I feel for anyone being asked to enforce restrictions in locations where public sentiment & numbers makes that difficult. But it is many times easier to set ground rules clearly from the start and establish a culture of we're-in-this-together. Plus, if these law enforcement officials are fortunate enough to have a jurisdiction with limited case numbers and a low population, well that's hunky dorey for the them. The least you can do is keep your mouth shut about it and realize officials in larger cities are already facing a very serious problem and do not have the ability to pivot on a dime.

manhn

Just Americans, what about Canadians? Not that I am planning to fly to Europe anytime soon, but I just assumed a place like Europe would ban anyone not European.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I wonder if non-American airlines that fly to Europe, like Air Canada, are going to have to refuse carriage to American citizens.

I also wonder if this ban will cover American citizens and non-Americans who are living in the US. Or Americans who are living outside the US.

Cachoo

I wonder if non-American airlines that fly to Europe, like Air Canada, are going to have to refuse carriage to American citizens.

I also wonder if this ban will cover American citizens and non-Americans who are living in the US. Or Americans who are living outside the US.

I wondered about that too: If an American is living in France and following protocols there are they banned from other EU countries? We will see....

Lemonade20

Former Kurtholic
I think your country has a better handle on the ***** than ours does at this time. And you have a leader who is not a nincompoop.

Well, we still bash Trudeau but at least he's good looking (even with that 70s shaggy hair) :-D My thoughts are with the USA and Latin America right now.

manhn

I am not trying to make Canada look good or whatever, but if I were from Europe or Asia or wherever, I'd be worried that, say the US allows Canadians entry into their country. I could go cross the border to Bellingham, Washington to buy cheap groceries and fill up my gas tank, and then return home, and then fly to Europe.

Dobre

I feel strongly that one of the local plants here should be testing everyone.

I posted the above on Friday. Guess what company now has 37 cases. Technically not the plant I was referring to as the site with the 37 cases is a different site. So I will repeat, the local plant--owned by the same company--should be testing everyone.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Just Americans, what about Canadians? Not that I am planning to fly to Europe anytime soon, but I just assumed a place like Europe would ban anyone not European.
People coming from the US, Brazel, and Russia. Note: not citizens of these countries who live elsewhere. Just people coming in from these countries.

So CA has had rising cases but not rising hospitalizations as we open up but that is changing. The Governor says if this keeps up, we'll go back to Stage 1.

They are trying really hard to get everyone to continue social distancing and to wear masks including having all the previous governors of CA who are still alive, both Dem and GOP, make a PSA about wearing masks. (There should be a link to the PSA in the story above.)

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So CA has had rising cases but not rising hospitalizations as we open up but that is changing. The Governor says if this keeps up, we'll go back to Stage 1.

I honestly don't think there is any going back to Stage 1, at least on a state-wide mandate basis. The counties up here with very low death rates would go ballistic and would flat-out not comply (not that they've been doing so hot on the complying, anyway :shuffle: ). I could possibly see some big urban counties going back, but I think the businesses that hung in there until the reopening under the basis of "We're all in this together and we can stick it out for a few months" would ultimately rebel and workers would be even less inclined to return since it's one thing to say it's a temporary situation versus on again, off again, on again, off again, which I think would drive people even crazier. My friends who were off work and are now back to working are very happy about it.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I honestly don't think there is any going back to Stage 1, at least on a state-wide mandate basis. The counties up here with very low death rates would go ballistic and would flat-out not comply
I would be surprised if Newsom would try to make those counties go back.

But if a county is already in Stage 3 and their numbers shot up, they may be made to go back to Stage 2.

Orm Irian

Victoria's working hard on getting its new clusters under control via implementing modified lockdowns in affected areas, ramping up testing etc, but it's too early in the process to see results yet. And now they've just had their first C19 death in some time - the twentieth in the state. :(

million$momma

Are Americans allowed to cross into Canada? I thought the border was closed.

Japanfan

Well, we still bash Trudeau but at least he's good looking (even with that 70s shaggy hair) :-D My thoughts are with the USA and Latin America right now.

I read that Trudeau intentionally let his hair grow out to be one of 'the folk' who couldn't go to a hair dresser during the *********. Don't know whether that was true.

The beard, however, - it has to go. It's awful.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
Are Americans allowed to cross into Canada? I thought the border was closed.

It's supposed to be closed except for essential travel, but there are reports of RVs with US plates showing up in the Rockies and the Prairies. I think US citizens who have homes in Canada, like holiday homes, are being allowed in, as well as people with sick family members and other emergencies.

Japanfan

It's supposed to be closed except for essential travel, but there are reports of RVs with US plates showing up in the Rockies and the Prairies. I think US citizens who have homes in Canada, like holiday homes, are being allowed in, as well as people with sick family members and other emergencies.

From my understanding, some Americans have used the 'going to Alaska' loophole to get into Canada.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Day camps are open in Massachusetts. I saw the golf camp in action yesterday and wasn’t impressed. They are complying with group size of 10/1, but aren’t doing a good job of keeping groups apart. There were 24 people on the practice putting green yesterday without face coverings and no one was trying to keep the kids with their own groups. I’m planning on avoiding all the adults associated with the camp. Waving at them from afar seems the right thing to do. On the plus side, all the kids were covered and physically distant while waiting for their parents.

skategal

Bunny mama

Americans with immediate family members in Canada are now being allowed in but not those who just have holiday homes here.

And yes, the loophole is "driving to Alaska through Canada but taking a vacation to Banff or BC on the way." :rolleyes:

Also, I'm pretty sure Canadians are not allowed to travel to the EU right now but sounds like they may loosen that considering we are not on the banned outright list.

In any case, as long as the Fed Gov't is saying Canadians shouldn't travel abroad except for essential reasons, your provincial medical insurance won't cover you anywhere else except for Canada unless you get an exception through your provincial medical insurance agency which they won't give you unless your travel is essential.

So it's all a bit of a moot point.

Louis

Private citizen
I wondered about that too: If an American is living in France and following protocols there are they banned from other EU countries? We will see....

No.

In the Communication of 11 June, the Commission recommended that for those countries where no decision has been taken to end the temporary travel restriction for non-essential travel into the EU after 30 June, the exemptions should be amended as follows:

1. EU citizens and citizens of Schengen Associated States and third country nationals legally residing in the European Union, as well as their family members, should be exempted from the travel restriction, regardless whether or not they are returning home. Member States can, however, take appropriate measures such as requiring such persons to undergo self-isolation or similar measures upon return from a third country for which the temporary restriction on non-essential travel is maintained, provided they impose the same requirements on their own nationals;

U.S. (or any other non-European) citizens legally resident in the European Union will not face restrictions any different than those of the citizens of the country where they live. An American legally resident in Spain will have the same rights as Spanish citizens to move about the Schengen Area, and generally the same rights in the non-Schengen area. (Nationals requiring visas, e.g., Russians, Indians, etc., to enter non-Schengen states are an exception, but if they have the visa, I do not believe they can be denied entry on the basis of *********-19 restrictions. E.g., I believe a Russian living in Spain could travel to Ireland or Croatia if they have a visa and proof of residence in Spain, even if Russians living in Russia are not allowed.)

People coming from the US, Brazel, and Russia. Note: not citizens of these countries who live elsewhere. Just people coming in from these countries.

There is one exception. People can return to their country of citizenship. Previously, it had to be your country of residence. Now it can be any country where you hold citizenship even if you don't reside there. And you can take family members who are not citizens.

Transit through other EU Member States (road transit or transfer at airport)

EU citizens who are returning to their Member State of nationality or residence, as well as their family members, irrespective of their nationality, should be allowed onward transit. Given the reduced availability of commercial flights, ‘onward transit’ should cover any means of transportation.

EU citizens returning to their Member State of nationality or residence from a third country

The temporary restrictions on non-essential travel to the EU do not apply to returning EU citizens and citizens of the Schengen Associated States.

[...]

EU citizens and their families are considered to be ‘returning home’ when seeking to reach the Member State of the EU citizen’s nationality even if the latter, and his/her family members, do not reside there.

E.g., a Brazilian with Italian citizenship living in Sao Paolo can travel to Italy, but not to another EU / Schengen country (except to transit through the airport). Italy cannot deny the person entry. If the person tells a neighboring country that they're transiting through that country to Italy via ground transportation, that country cannot deny the person entry. I suppose, however, that if the person turned up in, say, Finland without onward proof of a journey to Italy, that person could theoretically be denied whereas under usual circumstances they'd have to be admitted.

A Greek-American father with dual citizenship can take his whole non-Greek citizen family members to Mykonos if he wants.

E-gates provide potential loopholes to the restriction about only returning to your member state. Adult EU passport holders can normally enter the EU/Schengen area via automated border control machines, without ever speaking to a person. I am not sure if they are being used at the moment. But, ordinarily, any EU citizen (regardless of residence) can use these machines to enter the EU. So, in my example above, the Brazilian with dual Italian citizenship can just scan his way into any EU country (not just Italy) without seeing an immigration official. The machines, to the best of my knowledge, do not incorporate Advanced Passenger Information (the way that US Global Entry machines do) - it has no idea where the Brazilian lives, or if the Brazilian is coming from Brazil / the US / Russia or from a non-Schengen EU state (Ireland, Croatia, Cyprus, Romania, Bulgaria + the UK, which is still bound by EU freedom of movement rules until 31 December).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information