What does re-opening look like?

SkateSand

Cat Servant
We just got back from our trip to the Oregon coast. We talked to the restaurant staff there and they said they had been open for dine in service since May 19th. The restaurants that we frequent were very, very busy. But they can only open for partial capacity with half of their tables blocked off and they had less staff, who looked like they were being run pretty ragged. Many of the restaurants had Help Wanted signs so they are clearly needing more staff. Not sure if people are afraid to come back to work or simply left the area since it's pretty much entirely tourism based. The hotel we stayed at was about half as full as normal and the owner said that a lot of the regulars didn't realize the town was open for visitors so they hope it picks up. But all their major summer events have been canceled so they are worried about getting enough visitors to make up for the months they were closed down.

MsZem

Israel is experiencing a second wave, in large part due to schools reopening without adequate precautions. One would think that this would be a good reason to shut down things. Summer vacation is about to start anyway, and the education system can get a start on figuring out a better approach for next year. One would be wrong.
:wall:

MsZem

Israel is experiencing a second wave, in large part due to schools reopening without adequate precautions. One would think that this would be a good reason to shut down things. Summer vacation is about to start anyway, and the education system can get a start on figuring out a better approach for next year. One would be wrong.
The court ruled for the teachers' union. High school students are done for the year, everyone else will start summer vacation at the end of June with no extra days. And hopefully someone will come up with a better operational model for next year.

Also the Minister of Health has greenlighted funding for hiring more contact tracers, which I guess is better late than never.

ChelleC

My county announce 6 new cases today. I think they've announced at least 15 cases this week.

One of today's cases is linked to a library branch. That branch is now closed and anyone there earlier this week is asked to call the health department.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Southeastern PA suburbs go to green next Friday, (26th) with Philly itself doing a more modified green. I don't plan to make too many changes until about mid-July and see how things go.

million$momma

Ontario is opening up with higher numbers than when other provinces opened up things like salons. 2 out of 9 stations seem very strict. But as numbers go down as they seem, it will open up.

But just from observation, places like salons are expanding their hours of operations and working on days when they are normally closed.

I very rarely dined in before ********* unless I was going out with friends. I always did take out, ie sushi mainly. And almost all of them have remained take out even though they could bring back dine in. The places I go to were never huge hotspots anyway. I suspect when leases expire, commercial rents will go down.
Ontario has higher numbers but mainly because of the GTA and that area is remaining at Stage 1.

Dobre

Ron de Santis just blamed c19 on "Hispanics." Guy is all class.
:angryfire Blaming the victim does nothing for me. I feel strongly that one of the local plants here should be testing everyone. My greatest fear is that the ***** has or will get into the local Latino community and spread like wildfire because 1. the workers are mostly in the same workplace(s), 2. families are large and probably sharing childcare responsibilities between multiple households, 3. many of the families live close to one another in housing set aside for agricultural workers (not migrant housing so much since a lot of families here are more established, many 2nd generation; but many live in trailers and/or apartments so tight quarters) 4. the main workplace in one local county has never been supportive of their workers. I once tried to leave a message there for a parent of a student and the person answering the phone at the office refused to pass the message on. 5. there are reportedly 4 cases reported for people who work at this location already & while those have supposedly been contact traced to other sources, it would just be smart to test everyone at this facility right now while numbers are going up & yet still manageable.

But I very much doubt the company will do it without being forced. By then, I fear it won't be stopable.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
It's been reported that all the major league spring training facilities, both in Florida and Arizona, have been closed for deep cleanings, after players and personnel were found to be positive in several camps.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
It's been reported that all the major league spring training facilities, both in Florida and Arizona, have been closed for deep cleanings, after players and personnel were found to be positive in several camps.

Yes, 5 Phillies players and 3 staffers in their Clearwater camp.

quartz

almost, but not quite
More businesses are starting to open up in my community, so I ventured out for my first FUN shopping in 3 months (well, other than buying 9 new books when my bookstore opened) and went to my local Goodwill. Got 3 vintage books, Treasure Island and Hans Brinker, with dust jackets intact, both from the 40’s, and a book of Scots poetry and verse, probably 1920’s, with a newspaper clipping, a list of favourite pages in the book, and a teeny tiny leaf pressing. My rule is that whatever I find in a book, stays in that book, and one of my life’s small pleasures is to find old books with little memories left behind.
I also got a few decor pieces for my son’s house (I hope he’s not going to be too surprised that he’s going to have decor pieces...) and a really pretty beaded purse done up in copper and brown beads that perfectly matches a jacket I have, that I didn’t have a purse to go with.

My local antique shop also opened up last week, but I hadn’t the chance to go yet, and then last night they posted on FB that almost everything in-store is 50% off!! I will be off shortly to find a bank machine and then to do more rummaging.

Our farmers markets are also opening but the line-ups for them are l..o..n..g. Malls around me are opening, but a lot of stores in them are still closed. I need to go to the Benjamin Moore store today too, and hopefully they are open for walk-ins and not just curb-side pickup. I went to Canadian Tire yesterday to return an item, and purchase one other item, and it was crazy busy in there - they are limiting capacity but it seemed to me that it was just as full of customers as it normally would be.

Parsley Sage

I ventured out yesterday. Got groceries at Sobey's where they still have arrows on the floor and are sterilizing carts and requiring you to use a cart. Number of people wearing masks but not so much the staff.
Went to Best Buy. They have two line ups. One for customers with appointments or who are picking something up and one for customers who don't. Had to wait maybe 10 minutes to get in, but once inside I could browse freely. (I miss browsing!) My sister had been to Best Buy in a different city in Ontario and she was directed to the area of the item she was looking for once she entered the store.

Went to a bakery for cupcakes. They have a counter set up right inside the door. You open the door and stand there while they take your order. They are asking you to wear a mask to keep them safe as they are taking steps to keep their customers safe.

Restaurants in my area were allowed to open their patios yesterday. I drove past a few restaurants with people on their patios but I'm going to wait a bit and let them figure things out.

Dave of the North

New Brunswick is opening up a bit more. We're not to Green yet, still in some stage of Yellow. What colour is yellowish- green? Mucus?
  • "Visits at long-term care homes are allowed. Premier Blaine Higgs said not every home will be in a position to allow visits immediately. Only one visitor will be allowed at one time. And the name of the visitor must be distributed in advance. Visitors are also required to wear masks.
  • Overnight camps are allowed to reopen.
  • Residents who work outside the province will no longer need to self-isolate when coming from outside New Brunswick, but are encouraged to self-monitor.
  • Canadian residents can visit family members in New Brunswick if they self-isolate for 14 days, or for the duration of their visit if it is shorter than 14 days.
  • Canadian residents owning property in New Brunswick are allowed into the province if they self-isolate for 14 days.
  • All organized sports are allowed with appropriate distancing and sanitizing.
  • There is no longer a cap on the number of people gathering in controlled venues, which previously had a limit of 50 people. Participants must be able to physically distance themselves from others. (This does not include close family or friends.) This applies to churches, swimming pools, saunas, waterparks, rinks, indoor recreational facilities and organized sports.

This next phase also includes the gradual reopening of more businesses and activities. Businesses that choose to reopen during this phase must prepare an operational plan respecting Public Health guidelines that can be provided to officials, if requested."

Meanwhile, the doctor who allegedly caused the outbreak in the Campbellton area has hired a lawyer and is demanding an apology and reinstatement because there is no proof he caused the cases. He was getting racist comments on Facebook apparently. He seems to have dropped off the radar at the moment, maybe because he has a lawyer and nobody wants to talk about him in case they get sued? Not to mention there have been two police-involved shootings of Indigenous persons, which has taken over the newscycle.

Japanfan

• Canadian residents can visit family members in New Brunswick if they self-isolate for 14 days, or for the duration of their visit if it is shorter than 14 days.

How can one visit family members if the duration of the visit is less than the quarantine time?

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
My 87 year old father and 70 year old stepmother's hair stylist came to their house but cut their hair outside on their patio, all with masks on. She has lost her business at the salon so this is how she is continuing her job, but always outside to try to keep things safer.

I went to my salon this past week for the first time in three months. Every other chair is empty, but I did get my hair washed after the coloring, plus a trim. Masks worn by all including me (disposable mask fastened to the ears helped in this regard.) My hair stylist is building a salon in her basement and will split her time between the salon (where she can't get all the hours she used to have due to the restrictions) and her home. Part of the reason also is that she enjoys being home with her 3-year old twins. When she has clients, she will still have a babysitter taking care of the kids upstairs, but she likes being able to be there more with them.

sk8pics

I met up with a couple of friends this morning for a socially distanced walk at Winterthur, which has a (closed right now) museum and miles and miles of trails and gardens. It was beautiful. And fun. We also had a picnic breakfast at a little rest area. We saw about 3 other people the whole 2 hours we were there. It was glorious.

annie720

I met up with a couple of friends this morning for a socially distanced walk at Winterthur, which has a (closed right now) museum and miles and miles of trails and gardens. It was beautiful. And fun. We also had a picnic breakfast at a little rest area. We saw about 3 other people the whole 2 hours we were there. It was glorious.
Sounds nice. Winterhur is beautiful!

skatfan

long ago I got to visit the museum and gardens -such a pretty place.

MacMadame

Staying at home
How can one visit family members if the duration of the visit is less than the quarantine time?
They all quarantine together?? (Just spitballing here.)

Part of the reason also is that she enjoys being home with her 3-year old twins. When she has clients, she will still have a babysitter taking care of the kids upstairs, but she likes being able to be there more with them.
I remember a time when it wasn't uncommon for women to have hair salons in their homes. I even saw a home remodeling show that turned such a space into an office because the woman no longer had their business.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I remember a time when it wasn't uncommon for women to have hair salons in their homes. I even saw a home remodeling show that turned such a space into an office because the woman no longer had their business.

My stylist is also putting in a bathroom in the basement so that her clients aren't wandering around her house to use her main bathrooms. Smart.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member

the answer is in your post - they have to quarantine for the entire visit if it's less than 14 days.

once_upon

Voter
New Brunswick is opening up a bit more. We're not to Green yet, still in some stage of Yellow. What colour is yellowish- green? Mucus?
  • "Visits at long-term care homes are allowed. Premier Blaine Higgs said not every home will be in a position to allow visits immediately. Only one visitor will be allowed at one time. And the name of the visitor must be distributed in advance. Visitors are also required to wear masks.
  • Overnight camps are allowed to reopen.
  • Residents who work outside the province will no longer need to self-isolate when coming from outside New Brunswick, but are encouraged to self-monitor.
  • Canadian residents owning property in New Brunswick are allowed into the province if they self-isolate for 14 days.
  • All organized sports are allowed with appropriate distancing and sanitizing.
  • There is no longer a cap on the number of people gathering in controlled venues, which previously had a limit of 50 people. Participants must be able to physically distance themselves from others. (This does not include close family or friends.) This applies to churches, swimming pools, saunas, waterparks, rinks, indoor recreational facilities and organized sports.

This next phase also includes the gradual reopening of more businesses and activities. Businesses that choose to reopen during this phase must prepare an operational plan respecting Public Health guidelines that can be provided to officials, if requested."

Meanwhile, the doctor who allegedly caused the outbreak in the Campbellton area has hired a lawyer and is demanding an apology and reinstatement because there is no proof he caused the cases. He was getting racist comments on Facebook apparently. He seems to have dropped off the radar at the moment, maybe because he has a lawyer and nobody wants to talk about him in case they get sued? Not to mention there have been two police-involved shootings of Indigenous persons, which has taken over the newscycle.
Are you talking government long term care facilities?
Even with a lot of restrictions lifted I don't think long term care facilities are allowing visitors. Dad lives in a senior living complex that has independent and assisted living. No leaving premises or visitors inside facilities/apartments.

We went to Menards to pick up something. You must wear a mask to get in. There were people who immediately pulled masks down to their neck. And quite a few including employees improperly wearing them

MacMadame

Staying at home
They've opened our library for curb-side pickup.

I think swimming pools can be open too but that's less clear to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information