What does re-opening look like?

BaileyCatts

Over July 4 there is always a big weekend festival and huge fireworks show. They have canceled the festival but apparently they are still having the fireworks ...... because that won't draw a crowd and people can watch from their backyards or something? Okey dokey. :wideeyes:

Japanfan

I'm doing the same thing, for when the second wave hits. Like you say, it won't go bad.
I've done very little stocking up, actually. There doesn't seem to be much need at the moment. We always have a good stop of TP on hand (let's see if we can get a whole bunch now that are current stock is running low).

I picked up a prescription at the pharmacy the other day. They were doing delivery the last time I needed a prescription, but that didn't seem to be the case this time. Though I'll ask next time - which won't do for awhile.

Most people in the Safeway where the pharmacy is located were not wearing masks.

I'm going to visit a friend in a few days and was emphasizing the need to distance and preferably be outside. She noted the relatively low incidence of BB in this corner of the world. I pointed out that people following instructions was part of a reason for that low incidence.

spinZZ

This morning I went to Target and the more popular/more crowded neighborhood supermarket for the first time since mid-March, and I realized after I came home and unpacked what I'd bought that without thinking about it, I'd begun my second wave stockpiling.

Ordinarily in the fall I buy extras of everything, in case of blizzards or ice storms or extremely cold weather, but I guess I'm now buying for fall and winter, while stores have much of what I want and going out feels less risky.

Paper goods and laundry detergent won't go bad and it's not like I'm spending my money on anything else, so as long as I can find space to cram things into, why not.
Non-perishables I usually stock up on when they go on sale; also freeze away meat when it's on sale. So I was OK going into early March on many items. Over the past months, I've been able to get by going to a small grocery store (few customers early morning) for fresh produce every two weeks.

I went to a Costco and a large supermarket last week (no more long lines snaking outside). Isopropyl alcohol, hand sanitizer, and many disinfectants were still wiped out. Bleach, liquid hand soap, paper towels, facial tissue, and bottled water were well stocked. What surprised me is that, 3 months in, toilet paper is still in short supply. Costco had zilch (friends told me that was the same story at another Costco and at a BJ). The supermarket had small packs (4 - 6 rolls) of the crummy 1-ply only. I bought two packs "just in case"; my stash will probably run out in about two months otherwise. I live in a suburban area; my daughter and son-in-law live in a large city in the same state. Many items there are still in short supply; so when they start running low on stuff in general, I share.

Last edited:

once_upon

Voter
Over July 4 there is always a big weekend festival and huge fireworks show. They have canceled the festival but apparently they are still having the fireworks ...... because that won't draw a crowd and people can watch from their backyards or something? Okey dokey. :wideeyes:
Two fireworks shows earlier this year end of April or early May, people needed to sit in their cars to watch them.

The annual concert is canceled-thousands of people sitting nearly shoulder to shoulder just doesn't seem like a good idea

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Our mask wearing furnace technician did a tune up on our heating system this morning. He even let me know what he had touched so I could wipe everything down. Great training!

As for stocking up for Phase II, I now know what I HAVE to have in the house at all times. Going without coffee or wine, even for a day, is unacceptable as is running out of basics needed for "from scratch" cooking. So items are hitting our grocery list as soon as we open something from the pantry. We still have quite a bit of protein in the freezer, so I need to work through some of it before restocking.

once_upon

Voter
Our HVAC guy wore his mask, had gloves on, told me the cleaning process they have in place with his equipment and van. Good practices.

We put stuff on the list as soon as we open the new one. With Home Chef and the protein I have in the freezer I'm not getting any more protein.

I have stocked up on disherwasher soap because it had been out of stock on Amazon, Sam's, and grocery store. They all went into my cart and in my order the same week. :p

quartz

almost, but not quite
My favourite local antique shops are opening soon, some this weekend and others next week - I can start my search for a buffet/sideboard to go in my dining room. There are also some architectural salvage pieces I am hoping to find for my son’s sad little house that needs some joy restored to it. Can’t wait to do FUN shopping after 3 months of essentials only.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
My favourite local antique shops are opening soon, some this weekend and others next week - I can start my search for a buffet/sideboard to go in my dining room. There are also some architectural salvage pieces I am hoping to find for my son’s sad little house that needs some joy restored to it. Can’t wait to do FUN shopping after 3 months of essentials only.
PICTURES!!

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I went to the doctor for the first time post-********* yesterday. They had revised the waiting area to space out seats and appear to have spaced the appointments more. I was the first appointment, so I only waited a few minutes. While I was waiting, a woman kept yelling at her husband not to put his arm on the chair arms.

I got bloodwork done after the appointment and the lab made you go wait in your car and they'd call you when it was your turn. It was a nice day, so i sat on a pretty bench outside to wait - I was almost annoyed when they called me it was so restful.

They did check your temperature when you came in the building.

Susan1

I have an appointment for a mammogram on July 17. I wonder what things will be like by then. It's in the doctor's building attached to the hospital. They share a parking lot, and you always have to park way out, especially at 11 a.m. They have a golf cart that goes around (which was very convenient when I had to go to the orthopedist in that building with my broken toe and it was SO hot), but they might not be doing that, unless they have you ride on the back bumper - ha ha. Especially if it is raining. Maybe there still won't be people visiting patients by then. I haven't even driven by there close enough to see. You have to use the elevator in the hospital lobby, so I'll probably get screened and poked and prodded before they let me in the building. And again on the second floor. What about where you change and put on the capey thing? At least it is through my doctor's office and at the same network hospital so I won't have to fill out a bunch of forms.

sk8pics

I had an uneventful supermarket trip this morning. The store was not crowded at all and it was easy to stay away from people. They had everything, including wipes, except my preferred brand of margarine, so I got a different one.

Big problem was that not one employee was wearing their mask correctly, except the ones working the checkouts. I complained to a manager. They were either wearing the mask with their nose sticking out or had it pulled all the way down below their chin. :rolleyes: One older man who was a customer was not wearing his mask either. He knew it too, because he saw me looking at him and pulled it over his mouth. Later I saw him again, heading the wrong way down a narrow aisle with his mask down below his chin. Um, no thank you, I turned around and went the other way to stay away from him.

once_upon

Voter
Yeah, people who think they are special tick me off.
One of my Facebook friends was saying how stupid it is that her son needed a C-19 screening test before he has surgery next week.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
Non-perishables I usually stock up on when they go on sale; also freeze away meat when it's on sale. So I was OK going into early March on many items. Over the past months, I've been able to get by going to a small grocery store (few customers early morning) for fresh produce every two weeks.

I went to a Costco and a large supermarket last week (no more long lines snaking outside). Isopropyl alcohol, hand sanitizer, and many disinfectants were still wiped out. Bleach, liquid hand soap, paper towels, facial tissue, and bottled water were well stocked. What surprised me is that, 3 months in, toilet paper is still in short supply. Costco had zilch (friends told me that was the same story at another Costco and at a BJ). The supermarket had small packs (4 - 6 rolls) of the crummy 1-ply only. I bought two packs "just in case"; my stash will probably run out in about two months otherwise. I live in a suburban area; my daughter and son-in-law live in a large city in the same state. Many items there are still in short supply; so when they start running low on stuff in general, I share.
I was taught by my late mother to be a sale shopper on meat and freeze it, so that has never been an issue. And our local farm store is always well-stocked for fresh foods and other things besides major cuts of meat, so it's my main source for food.

Our Costco has actually never had a toilet paper issue since the BB began; sometimes they'd run out quickly, but this week the house brand, Charmin, and another brand were well stocked. I had to go back today to pop into the pharmacy for one prescription that didn't come in on Tuesday. I got there just at the beginning of senior hours, and found an unopened 2-box package of disposable non-latex gloves available for sale at the pharmacy counter in size medium. This was a huge surprise, they've had nothing since March, and the pharmacy tech said they probably got returned. While small would have been better (I have small hands and feet), medium will work just fine. I'm over 60, have asthma and hypertension, so my taking precautions isn't going to end for quite a while. I lucked out today, likely because someone decided the BB is "over" and wanted their 20 bucks back.

emason

I took the subway from Queens into Manhattan today; it's the first time I've been on the subway in about 3 months. Ridership is way down so social distancing was not a problem. There were some riders, however, who yanked their masks down off their faces the second the doors shut and the train moved. Also, the homeless are still in the system; I saw one woman with all her belongings sitting on the platform at one of the major stops in Queens. MTA employees were handing out masks and hand sanitizer at entrances to the subway stations, so that's good.

Purpose of the trip was to get crud tested at the doctor's office so I can have my Mohs procedure tomorrow if the crud result is negative. The swab up the nose is painful but it's all over in 10 seconds, so no biggie.

ETA: Doctor's office stops you at the door for a temperature check before you can even get a toe into the waiting room. Plenty of supplies (masks, etc.) were available for anyone who needed them. Office personnel were all appropriately masked and garbed and I was seen to promptly.

Last edited:

spinZZ

Not sure about this. It's kind of like when after the living wage law was passed in Seattle, some shops and restaurants added a "living wage surcharge" to their bills. IMO if a business needs more money to pay its workers the legal wage, it should either increase its prices or cut its costs - not give the impression that paying workers a decent rate is some sort of terrible imposition.

Dental offices might be a little different because not everyone pays the cost of the visit directly (e.g. submits it for reimbursement to an insurer). I wonder if health insurance would cover the kind of fee that @Jenny mentions.
I don't remember when last oil prices shot up for an extended period (maybe ~10 yrs ago?), and all sorts of businesses (even the guy who mows my lawn) tacked on fuel surcharges.

once_upon

Voter
Some good news I read, of the 140 or so clients the 2 hair stylists in Missouri who worked with C-19/active symptoms no one had disease. They are looking at the situations and think that mask, social distancing, limited clients and handwashing prevents spread of disease.

Obviously not all disease will be prevented.

Wear your damn masks and stay 6 ft or more away from others

Miezekatze

In Germany a first music arena has made a concept for small concerts (starting with 900 people, because I think the max number for events is 1000 in that state now). the first concert with a German pop singer is next week.

The stage is going to be in the middle of the arena and people can book cubicles for 4 people that are placed aroudn the stage, like seen in this image:

Also a few places with distance between them will be sold in the lower ranks of the stands.

There will be several seperate entrance queues all outside with distancing that lead people directly to their area and you have to wear a mask eveyrwhere except for in your cubicle/when you're sitting.

Not exactly "exciting" to see a pop concert like that, but I guess it's better than nothing for people that are craving for some live experience and of course for bands and singers and comedians to be able to stark working again a bit more.

Susan1

I had an uneventful supermarket trip this morning. The store was not crowded at all and it was easy to stay away from people. They had everything, including wipes, except my preferred brand of margarine, so I got a different one.
Oh, yesterday, when I went to CVS to get windshield washer fluid (don't even know the last time I bought any, but I don't drive in rain or snow anymore) before my 20% expired, they had a whole endcap of giant bottles of hand sanitizer across from the register. I should have gotten one for later, that would probably last the rest of my life. Next coupon, if they still have them.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I forgot that when I went to the doctor, right after they checked your temperature, there was a woman all dressed in protective clothing with a big bottle of hand sanitizer. She'd ask people as they entered, "would you like some sanitizer" and if someone did, she'd squirt it in their hands so only she touched the bottle.

It was sort of like the people who used to offer perfume samples in department stores, only with a less strong scent.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
A friend of mine told me she went today for a scheduled blood test and her blood was taken in the parking lot under an awning. She was instructed to open the car window and stick out her arm (a mask and gloves were required of her), and that's how they took her blood.

She said it was a very weird experience.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
In Germany a first music arena has made a concept for small concerts (starting with 900 people, because I think the max number for events is 1000 in that state now). the first concert with a German pop singer is next week.

The stage is going to be in the middle of the arena and people can book cubicles for 4 people that are placed aroudn the stage, like seen in this image:

Also a few places with distance between them will be sold in the lower ranks of the stands.

There will be several seperate entrance queues all outside with distancing that lead people directly to their area and you have to wear a mask eveyrwhere except for in your cubicle/when you're sitting.

Not exactly "exciting" to see a pop concert like that, but I guess it's better than nothing for people that are craving for some live experience and of course for bands and singers and comedians to be able to stark working again a bit more.
I guess, but not everybody goes to a concert in groups of four. What's going to happen to people who go by themselves or with two friends? Do they have to pay for all four seats in the cubicle?

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Tonight we went out for dinner for the first time since the crud started. Restaurants here are now allowed to have outdoor seating. Everyone wears masks except for when they're eating. You can go indoors (with a mask on) to use the bathroom, but that's it. It was fun. The diner bought a bunch of patio table sets and set them up in their parking lot. The best part was when an elderly gentleman, one of their regulars, accidentally tried to drive to park in what's apparently his normal spot, which was now covered by diners and patio tables...

MacMadame

Staying at home
I don't remember when last oil prices shot up for an extended period (maybe ~10 yrs ago?), and all sorts of businesses (even the guy who mows my lawn) tacked on fuel surcharges.
I can see adding a surcharge for something temporary so that you don't raise your prices. You can just drop the charge when fuel prices go down in this example.

A friend of mine told me she went today for a scheduled blood test and her blood was taken in the parking lot under an awning. She was instructed to open the car window and stick out her arm (a mask and gloves were required of her), and that's how they took her blood.

She said it was a very weird experience.
It seems dangerous. People do faint and have other problems when they give blood.

It also seems horrible uncomfortable.

Miezekatze

I guess, but not everybody goes to a concert in groups of four. What's going to happen to people who go by themselves or with two friends? Do they have to pay for all four seats in the cubicle?
In the stands you can buy between 2 and 4 seats.
But I think those are the only options. Generally I think it's a very limited offer, but then better than nothing for the people who really want to see something.

spinZZ

I forgot that when I went to the doctor, right after they checked your temperature, there was a woman all dressed in protective clothing with a big bottle of hand sanitizer. She'd ask people as they entered, "would you like some sanitizer" and if someone did, she'd squirt it in their hands so only she touched the bottle.

It was sort of like the people who used to offer perfume samples in department stores, only with a less strong scent.
Finally, someone behaving logically. Stores I've gone to typically have had a self-serve pump bottle on a table. So when you press on the pump handle, you transfer onto your hand a s*-load of germs left behind by a zillion previous dirty hands ... then hope that the squirt of hand sanitizer will kill everything off. No, thanks. I bring my own pocket-size bottle.

I'm hoping that one positive outcome of this crisis will be that restrooms will all be updated to contactless fixtures and entrances/exits without doors. People are becoming more conscious of how clean hands can easily be recontaminated.

spinZZ

I have stocked up on disherwasher soap because it had been out of stock on Amazon, Sam's, and grocery store. They all went into my cart and in my order the same week. :p
It's really bizarre how varied supply shortages have been, depending on location. In my area, even at the height of the hording frenzy in early/mid March, dishwasher detergent and hand dishwashing liquid (even major brands such as Cascade and Dawn) remained in good supply both at my local Costco and supermarket (they were both wiped out of liquid hand soap early on, and even sales of bar soap were subjected to limited quantities). I bought extra Dawn so I could dilute it, and use it as a sub refill for liquid hand soap in pump dispensers.

quartz

almost, but not quite
My bookstore opens today and I hope its not too busy so we can sort out all the health and safety logistics. Having written instructions is one thing, the act of practically applying them is another. In-person customer service, cash register functions, and opening/closing procedures, will now be handled much differently, so many things we typically do involve shared handling of product and equipment, as well as shoulder-to-shoulder tasking. There will be 3 staff and so we are allowed a max of 6 customers at a time. We think we are ready!!

MacMadame

Staying at home
We got an email today about going back to the office. The office still isn't open but people can go back if they get permission and contact their manager. This is only to pick stuff up. Also, we were told that if the police stop us and ask what we are doing we are to tell them that ::long gobbledygook I didn't understand:: (I think it means we're considered essential because we have government customers.) That part I thought was funny.

Anyway, the notice basically said they are working on a plan and someday they'll tell us what it is. :D

MacMadame

Staying at home
And now I've just gotten an email about a story where Coach Harbaugh says that the NFL's plan for re-opening is impossible for human beings to follow:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information