What does re-opening look like?

maureenfarone

I'm in a quandary about hair. I love my hair stylist. But over the last 18 months my goal has been to grow my hair long enough to pull into a ponytail for easy to care for when traveling or doing activities like 3 mile walks etc. Other than a few strands, it's getting there (about 5 inches past my shoulders).

I had also been contemplating letting it go grey. My roots have grown out 3-4 inches. Since my hair has been dyed a shade of blonde that usually faded in between color application, it's semi noticable but not if I had darker hair. My husband likes it grey, I'm not sure if I do or dont.

Obviously travel will be out for at least 12-18 months until countries open borders again, but I still go for walks etc. and like the length.

I know Kristin has been without salary for 2-3 months and will have decreased income because of new sanitizing requirements. I'm not sure I want to change my current hair plan, but I know know she needs income.
I'm taking the plunge tomorrow and going to have my hair trimmed. I stopped color when I passed 65 - so I am totally white now. Generally I wear my hair short and have sometimes gotten perms. Right now I am just having it trimmed. Having a perm means spending 2 hrs or so at the salon and I'm not ready for that - too nervous. You might want to consider just having your stylist trim and shape your hair which wouldn't derail your plan but would give her some income. I'm in Ohio and salons started opening May 15 and mine wasn't ready until May 19 so they should have all the sanitizing and rules in place. My fear is I wait too long to go in there will be a surge and then I definitely won't feel comfortable.

Tony Wheeler

I'm in a quandary about hair. I love my hair stylist. But over the last 18 months my goal has been to grow my hair long enough to pull into a ponytail for easy to care for when traveling or doing activities like 3 mile walks etc. Other than a few strands, it's getting there (about 5 inches past my shoulders).

I had also been contemplating letting it go grey. My roots have grown out 3-4 inches. Since my hair has been dyed a shade of blonde that usually faded in between color application, it's semi noticable but not if I had darker hair. My husband likes it grey, I'm not sure if I do or dont.

Obviously travel will be out for at least 12-18 months until countries open borders again, but I still go for walks etc. and like the length.

I know Kristin has been without salary for 2-3 months and will have decreased income because of new sanitizing requirements. I'm not sure I want to change my current hair plan, but I know know she needs income.
You can always Venmo, Cash App, Zelle, or whatever else you may have some tip money just for the sake of it if you want to help support her. I’ve had customers send me tips and I do much less.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I'm seeing a lot of hotels focusing on drive traffic as each region opens up - encouraging staycations within the city, drives to nearby resorts. I think that appeals to those who are still a long way from being comfortable on an airplane, but it still gets you out of the house and provides a change of scenery.
I got an email from a local hotel chain along the lines of " do you need a private and comfortable work space for a day"? It is now renting its rooms for day use, which it hasn't done before and which I thought was a very creative response to the v*r*s situation. It's not exactly travel :lol: but I can see this being an attractive option for some. The room rates were also considerably lower than before, even considering that the stay would be during the day and not overnight.

overedge

G.O.A.T.
I wonder if this will kill Airbnb and Counchsurfing. hink will be taken, because I'm a cynic, but it does make me think that something better could come next.
I too am concerned with there not being any middle ground in the travel market. Personally I don't do AirBnB or couchsurfing, but OTOH I don't want the only hotels out there to be mega-upscale hotels that cost $$$$. I also wouldn't like the hotel market to be like it already is in some countries, where the choices are $$$$ hotels or hotels that are less than one star rating (and that's being generous). I think some European chains like Motel One have figured out that many travellers are happy with a room that's tiny but clean and well-kept.

Having said that - and having just discovered yet another house in my neighbourhood advertised online as a "hometel" - if AirBnB dying means those properties become residential long-term rentals, I'm all for that.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Los Angeles County has a guide to how schools can safely reopen in the fall.

Sixteen students to a class. One-way hallways. Students lunch at their desks. Children could get one ball to play with — alone. Masks are required. A staggered school day brings on new schedules to juggle.

These campus scenarios could play out based on new Los Angeles County school reopening guidelines released Wednesday. This planning document will affect 2 million students and their families as educators undertake a challenge forced on them by the ******** crisis: fundamentally redesigning the traditional school day.

Last edited:

flyingsit

I am really worried about this. Not only for the cost factor, but the how of it. I genuinely love scrappy travel. If I had to stay in hotels all the time I would barely bother to go anywhere. I wonder if this will kill Airbnb and Counchsurfing. Airbnb grew too big for its britches and became problematic to use, but the original concept - stay in a spare room, or a DADU where the hosts also live - is SUCH a great way to experience the world.

ETA: and I just read a post on another forum about how the relative global economic prosperity and accessibility of travel to the middle class in the last decade has created a whole host of problems related to overtourism, destruction of local sustainability and especially environmental damage, and this is an opportunity for the travel industry to reset. One I don't think will be taken, because I'm a cynic, but it does make me think that something better could come next.
I love that we have so many differences here on FSU. I love staying in hotels when traveling; part of the joy for me is that my bed gets made and the bathroom cleaned, etc. And I do tip for that. But we have done VRBO/apartment rentals too and it just doesn’t feel like a vacation to me.

I got an email from a local hotel chain along the lines of " do you need a private and comfortable work space for a day"? It is now renting its rooms for day use, which it hasn't done before and which I thought was a very creative response to the v*r*s situation. It's not exactly travel :lol: but I can see this being an attractive option for some. The room rates were also considerably lower than before, even considering that the stay would be during the day and not overnight.
That sounds amazing to me. They should target frazzled moms. A day with a bed for a nap and trashy tv and snacks would be glorious. I could come home for bedtime.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
I've been getting at least 2 emails a day from cruise lines - celebrity and princess regarding their 2020-2021 cruises. I think they have a potential August 1 date to restart the cruise lines in the US.

Viking is only sending things like the chefs favorite recipes or cultural videos. No mention of when they might resume anything.

Princess and Celebrity have also been sending printed catalogs.
One issue at least one cruise line doesn't quite seem to be dealing with - will the ports of call LET YOU IN????

Case in point: DH and I had a trip scheduled for next month to our favorite dive/snorkel resort in Grand Cayman combined with 7 days on a liveaboard boat between the 3 Cayman islands. This trip is now pushed off until July 2021. The government made the decision to keep the ports and airports closed until at least September 1st, with some predicting they won't open until 2021. But here's the kicker: Carnival Cruise Lines has sailings scheduled that include Grand Cayman beginning August 1st. You can actually book these cruises even though the island is closed to tourists. I doubt Cayman is an isolated case. Do people really want to potentially book a "cruise to nowhere??"

SkateSand

Cat Servant
My husband was just informed his gym is reopening on Monday. Since we're in California, I'm guessing gyms in other counties may get the go-ahead soon, too. Anyway, he's giddy with happiness to resume his lap swimming. He also plays table tennis there, but doesn't have the details yet on how that will work.

manhn

How does something like swimming work? Here in BC, where gyms are reopening (not mine), I've read that people have to reserve time and the changerooms won't be available. Okay, I come in with my gym strip and go home and shower. But if you're swimming, do you drive home soakin' wet?

KCC

I made an appointment to see a physical therapist on Monday (after canceling my first scheduled appointment back in mid March). Despite stretching & shoulder exercises given to me by my doc, Aleve, ice, heat and pain patches, I haven't been able to sleep uninterrupted all night for a long time and I'm ready to get on with some kind of professional treatment. The office requires everyone to wear masks, I need to call from the parking lot (no waiting room time), complete paperwork beforehand and bring it in, they will take my temp and I'll wash up there before we get started.

I'm obviously concerned because it is a long, indoor appointment. The good news is that Idaho's numbers are still fairly low and the traffic through this office is down a lot. My guess is that I probably have a better chance of picking up the ***** at the grocery store, where many people don't distance or wear masks and kids are back to running loose -- I need to get back to pre-ordering and doing a parking lot pickup.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
But if you're swimming, do you drive home soakin' wet?
I don't know how that is going to work but I go to outdoor places to swim all the time where there is no changing room since it's just a beach on a lake or something. I have a towel robe that I throw on over my swimsuit and drive home in.

If I really want to change, I change under it standing by my car. :D

SkateSand

Cat Servant
How does something like swimming work? Here in BC, where gyms are reopening (not mine), I've read that people have to reserve time and the changerooms won't be available. Okay, I come in with my gym strip and go home and shower. But if you're swimming, do you drive home soakin' wet?
There's a long list of how the gym is going to operate (which I didn't read meticulously because I'm not a member :p ), but the change rooms will be available, just with social distancing, and available lockers will be distant from each other as well. There will be various sanitizer stations throughout and equipment will need to be cleaned before and after each use. Staff will wear masks, but for members it will be voluntary, and they will supply members with masks if they need one. That's all I remember off the top of my head.

Debbie S

MD is reopening a bit more. Starting Friday, restaurants can have outdoor dining with social distancing and sanitizing protocols. Some streets may be closed to allow more dining space. Outdoor pools, youth sports and day camps can reopen with capacity restrictions and outdoor, non-contact activities only. Also drive-in movies. Hogan is talking about going to phase 2, but that includes indoor rec facilities (including ice rinks) and no one is talking about reopening those anytime soon. Teleworking is "encouraged indefinitely" and official advice is to avoid crowds and public transit.

He did note that "some people aren't taking this p*ndemic seriously." Uh yeah. He is "concerned" about the scenes from Ocean City over the weekend.

Not all counties are moving forward - they can decide - such as Baltimore City and Montgomery and Prince George's counties (which border DC).

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

Hairdressers around should feel free to correct me, but i was always told that, if you’re growing your hair out, you’re better off to at least get split ends taken off pretty frequently so your long hair is healthy rather than mostly split end. Also you might want your hair to be shaped more appropriately to be longer, rather than short. Both of those things would mean seeing your stylist despite not changing your plan and you could give her a good tip.

Haircuts and grocery stores are not comparable due to sustained contact with one person.

pat c

I got my haircut today. Visiting with my stylist today thru masks, do as @Tony Wheeler suggested, just tip her.
My stylist actually has totally changed her business, ykw has changed her game plan. Maybe yours will too, but tipping won't hurt. :)

You do like @MacMadame does. :) Having taken my kids for outdoor swim lessons where the change room was colder than staying outside, you bring extra towels or polar fleece blankets to wrap in and/or sit on.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
DH’s barber appointment is today. He’s a bit of a fumble finger with his phone and was worried about the text checkin, so told them his phone was broken. I guess he’ll just pace outside and his barber will wave him in when they’re ready. As for me, I’m really in need of a trim, but I guess I’m not as desperate as those with wonky roots or short cuts that can’t be tamed. IIRC, they told me that I was the 400th+ person on the waitlist, so I took the “first available” which was June 17th.

spinZZ

If you lived in the big city, you could probably avoid going out completely and have everything delivered. But this is a pretty rural area - everyone has to have a car to go anywhere and delivery is not always possible. We can't get grocery service or restaurant takeout delivered to our address. But here I think it's just the majority of the locals not taking it very seriously because we weren't hit hard at all. We have free, on demand testing and I am seeing a lot of promotion of it from the health department (they need the testing data), but we haven't had any positive tests in almost a week. People see what happened in NYC on the news, but they don't see any of that here so it's like it doesn't seem real.
It’s not as simplistic as big city vs. rural. Likely depends on specific regions. I live in a suburban area of NJ (in the US, NJ is second only to NY as the worst hit state), but close-by some towns with large apartment complexes. In mid April, as we were nearing the peak of the crisis, state authorities asked everyone to be extra diligent at staying home, even avoiding going to grocery stores if at all possible. I figured I’d try delivery service from my usual supermarket. Website was so overwhelmed, it crashed. They then upgraded to a queuing system (analogous to call waiting for voice calls) just to log onto the website. First time I tried, it was an estimated 2 hr wait. I tried a second time, got through, but deliveries were booked up for about two weeks. Friends told me they had similar experiences with other supermarkets in the area.

I went out. Costco and large chain supermarkets either had very long lines, or were sold out. Luckily I got what I needed at a couple of small independent grocery stores. My daughter and son-in-law live in one of the larger cities in the state. They couldn’t get basic food and supplies, either online or in person. We picked up extras for them, and they drove out to pick them up (fortunately they have a car). A friend of mine who lives near me has a son and daughter-in-law in NYC. They were running low on food and essential supplies. They don’t have a car. Being a good mom, my friend loaded up her car with care packages and drove into NYC, the worst hit spot in the country.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who lives in a small town in a less-impacted state. Both he and his wife are in the high-risk category. Fortunately, no issues at all with at-home deliveries from his local supermarket.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama

That reminds me of the thing I saw for sale online (maybe on Amazon).

It was an individual rectangular stand up tent to use as a personal change room at the beach.

I wanted to buy it for DS for when we go to the beach around here.

Maybe good for taking to pools now too. :lol:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
So back to my gym opening story. I just assumed my husband's gym had gotten permission to open. Apparently, it's not that straightforward. This morning over the radio (yes, I still listen to radio :p ), it was announced that some gyms in the area have reopened and while they don't have permission to reopen, none of them will be cited. I'm just agog. Not that the gyms are reopening, but that this is the second public official to flat out state no local business is going to be cited for breaking any of the C V prohibitions. I guess the county feels pretty secure Newsom isn't going to send in troops to enforce them. :shuffle: In other news, this is the first day I can recall where none of the print newspaper headlines and articles have anything about C V except as an aside.

once_upon

New condo owner
So back to my gym opening story. I just assumed my husband's gym had gotten permission to open. Apparently, it's not that straightforward. This morning over the radio (yes, I still listen to radio :p ), it was announced that some gyms in the area have reopened and while they don't have permission to reopen, none of them will be cited. I'm just agog. Not that the gyms are reopening, but that this is the second public official to flat out state no local business is going to be cited for breaking any of the C V prohibitions. I guess the county feels pretty secure Newsom isn't going to send in troops to enforce them. :shuffle: In other news, this is the first day I can recall where none of the print newspaper headlines and articles have anything about C V except as an aside.
:eek:
Here several restaurants here violated the occupancy restrictions this weekend. None of them were cited. Its frustrating because the more the restrictions are violated, the longer we will have them.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
That makes me pretty mad.

once_upon

New condo owner
Some possible guidelines for fall school:

Temp checks are sort of useless. Daycare providers and school nurses will tell you that parents will administer tylenol or ibuprofen before dropping kids off for the day because they need to work.
I dont know what the answers are for schools, but we should not fall into the temperature checks will help.

Dobre

Some possible guidelines for fall school:

This says desks should be 6 feet apart or have partitions, but the article I read yesterday said California is allowing 16 kids in a classroom. (Previous report I read said most U.S. classrooms won't fit more than 12 kids at 6 feet apart). So this leads me to ask, what kind of partitions?

skateboy

I work in the classical performing arts (both as a performer and an administrator) and, as we consider any possible kind of season for 2020-2021, it's become clear that anything involving mass performers on stage -- opera, choral singing, big orchestras (especially with wind and brass players) -- is pretty much out of the question.

My suggestion to organizations is, at least for this year, to have the solo recital make a big comeback, chamber music with appropriate social distancing, and concert chamber opera (meaning, non-staged small productions) with no more than 4 - 5 performers and piano accompaniment. The first 3 - 5 rows of a theater/venue would need to be blocked off.

The one thing that I keep coming back to is this: 6 feet is not that much of a distance. When at the grocery store, I do my best to maintain a minimum of 10 feet.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I work in the classical performing arts (both as a performer and an administrator) and, as we consider any possible kind of season for 2020-2021, it's become clear that anything involving mass performers on stage -- opera, choral singing, big orchestras (especially with wind and brass players) -- is pretty much out of the question.

My suggestion to organizations is, at least for this year, to have the solo recital make a big comeback, chamber music with appropriate social distancing, and concert chamber opera (meaning, non-staged small productions) with no more than 4 - 5 performers and piano accompaniment. The first 3 - 5 rows of a theater/venue would need to be blocked off.
I am interested in seeing how our Fine and Performing Arts division works all this out. Music majors, for example, are required to play or sing in ensembles. Theater majors and dance majors are required to perform or otherwise participate in productions. I don't think we can just waive those requirements as they aren't our requirements; they are part of accreditation requirements and in some cases state requirements.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am interested in seeing how our Fine and Performing Arts division works all this out. Music majors, for example, are required to play or sing in ensembles. Theater majors and dance majors are required to perform or otherwise participate in productions. I don't think we can just waive those requirements as they aren't our requirements; they are part of accreditation requirements and in some cases state requirements.
Wouldn't Health and Safety obligations override those accreditation requirements? Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 8)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information