What does re-opening look like?

Dobre

If you lived in the big city, you could probably avoid going out completely and have everything delivered. But this is a pretty rural area - everyone has to have a car to go anywhere and delivery is not always possible. We can't get grocery service or restaurant takeout delivered to our address. But here I think it's just the majority of the locals not taking it very seriously because we weren't hit hard at all. We have free, on demand testing and I am seeing a lot of promotion of it from the health department (they need the testing data), but we haven't had any positive tests in almost a week. People see what happened in NYC on the news, but they don't see any of that here so it's like it doesn't seem real.
I live in a small town, and yes, I have to go into the grocery store. But my mom doesn't because I am the one doing the shopping. And my neighbor doesn't because she has family doing the shopping. (I think she is self-isolating completely because she usually stays out on the ranch in the summer with family but this year she is staying at her house in town and people just come by & drop stuff off for her). With the exception of the grocery store, almost everywhere here will just let you call ahead & then will set stuff outside the door for you to pick it up. Kids in my hometown are doing essential shopping for people who are at high-risk. And, of course, there is Fed Ex and UPS. So we do have people not going into stores despite this being a rural community.

Also, most shopping wouldn't be happening in my town. The grocery isn't stocked well enough for that. So some people could be 1. wearing masks while shopping out of town in larger supermarkets, 2. not wearing masks while shopping at larger supermarkets, 3. driving a long way & doing pickup at larger supermarkets.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Well I never really had any doubts about doing stuff outdoors, because Drosten and most other German virologists always said that outdoor is not a big problem.Besides we're only socializing 1,5 meters and Austrians are only distancing 1 meter and it doesn't seem to really make a difference.

But I don't think thats good news for all the businesses or events that can't be held right now to tell them to take "everything outdoors". For the businesses that are hurting the most at the moment (like anything to do with cultural or business events, restaurants, international travel), I don't really see much changing with that solution.

Doing "everything" outdoor might work until the end of September, maybe a bit into October. And if there's a heatwave like last year, then it won't work much in June/July/August either, because last year for pretty much all of June and a bit of july it was unbearable to walk the 5 minutes from my car to the office building or do anything physical unless it was like 6am.

Also I'm sort of wondering what things could be taken outside that aren't taken outside already?
  • holding businesss meetings: uhm nope, sorry, I don't think anybody is going to meet up with their colleagues in a park, I think it's more likely this will stay on zoom
  • holding business conferences: uhm unlikely
  • doing outdoor dining: yeah ok with nice weather, but that's already possible now
  • doing outdoor sports: yeah, till September or something when there isn't a heatwave, but that's already possible now
  • cultural stuff: yeah maybe until September or so, there will be some outdoor concerts and open air cinemas for like a 1000 people or something which seems to be the be most ambitous number till end of August for some German states (the southern states are planning up to 500 till end of August)
  • sports competitions: the ones that are already done outdoors, will probably have an advantage
  • churches: yeah they could already do that now, some do
  • zoos, amusement parks, : are already allowed to open outdoors

I really don't see what problem that solves. Everything that can be done outside is basically already allowed outdoors. If it goes well the numbers of people who can attend those things can grow, but then it's going to be fall eventually and there will have to be some clever solutions for indoor stuff too or otherwise businesses are going to suffer just as badly again as right now, because those problematic things "in a specific setting" that Drosten describes are really just everyday events, I mean it's not like holding a business meeting or sitting in a bar or having 40 guests in a restaurant with some shaking hands is some sort of crazy outlandish activity. ;)
I see it as pretty positive because it shows that the ***** can probably be controlled if we are careful while waiting for a vaccine.

of course there are challenges and not everything is easy right now but for lots of things there are solutions - business meetings can be done via Zoom.
Restaurants will suffer but some have adapted and can continue to deliver food - maybe make special arrangements in order to set themselves apart from pizza delivery

and other countries with more adaptable weather can learn from the experience.

I find this option a lot more positive than what I feared only 4-6 weeks ago with huge increase of illness and overrun hospitals if we open up too quickly or having to shut down hard again quickly - this is not "normal like before" by any means but so much more positive than a lot of the scenarios we had :) So yes, I am happy for the time being that we will not have a total shutdown again in the very near future but that it seems like we will able to cope with the status quo and probably even opening up a lot more - and Germany, Austria have been openened up (after having a steep curving down in infections) very much already compared to other countries - so this might give hope to the rest as well.

once_upon

New condo owner
The zoo is opening on June 1. The guidelines and restrictions seem reasonable.

No buildings will be open (aquarium, rain forest, desert dome, etc.). Outdoor trail only (1.8 mile)
No tram
No inside concessions open, I'm not sure how the outdoor concessions will work.
Limited carousel rides, cleaning between rides
No adventure trail playground.
Masks are worn by staff, visitors encouraged to wear masks.
Need to reserve time, will be scheduled every 1/2 hour entry (I assume this is traffic control not that you only get 30 minutes). Can be reserved 48 hours in advance.
Main entrance gate in only, north gate exit only.
Other stuff too, cant remember. Ticket prices are slightly reduced for single admission.

Ok even I think these are fairly reasonable. Ive already read the following comments: I want a refund on my annual pass. Uh, if you go 2 times a year (pass allows for 2 people and up to 6 kids in a single visit) it's paid for itself. I'm not wearing a mask. I should have another year added to my annual pass.

I add, I think these are reasonable opening guidelines. I'll still wait for a couple of weeks before considering. But masks that's a reasonable requests. The annual pass cost - really if you dont go more than once a year why did you buy it.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
The reopening in Massachusetts is stranger than strange. Restaurants have always been allowed to prepare food for pickup or delivery. OK, fine, except the restaurant at the golf course can’t even sell bottled water. Forget about food. And retail can open for curbside pickup, but very few retailers store inventory corresponds to the stuff you can order online and have shipped from the warehouse. It’s just weird.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
The NHL has announced that they are skipping the rest of the season. But if they can restart, they'll go right into the playoffs. 24 teams.

once_upon

New condo owner
Iowa State football has released its fan plan for the stadium. 50% capacity, season ticket holders only. 22,000 season tickets have already been renewed so 8,000 will be on sale mid June. So you'll be in a stadium with 29,999 of your closest friends and family. With loud cheering projecting those respiratory droplets many feet forward.

No plan for the actual football game.

Karen-W

You mean like referring to someone's "scraggly fingers" and referring to posts you don't agree with as "peddling/pushing their #stayathome agenda?

I haven't found many of your posts to be respectful at all.
So, you're offended by a colorful word choice to describe the finger pointing from our politicians that many of us don't care for? And you're bothered by the fact that I'm more than comfortable with calling out the bullying/peddling/pushing of an agenda that you happen to agree with? I've kept out of this thread and several others, for the most part because I know my opinion is unwelcome and routinely dismissed but the reason I spoke up yesterday is because of just how disrespectful the bullying of Becca had become in this particular thread. Countless people attacked her, repeatedly, yet you find my posts disrespectful. Okay, then. Message received. I'll just limit myself to the skating threads and discussion. This forum has become as toxic as PI.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
And you're bothered by the fact that I'm more than comfortable with calling out the bullying/peddling/pushing of an agenda that you happen to agree with?
So when you post, it's just stating your opinion but when someone doesn't agree with you they are bullying, peddling and or pushing an agenda.

Thanks for proving my point.

Karen-W

So when you post, it's just stating your opinion but when someone doesn't agree with you they are bullying, peddling and or pushing an agenda.

Thanks for proving my point.
That is not what I said, at all. But thanks for attempting to twist my words. You agree with the opinion/agenda of the people who were bullying Becca, so you don't perceive what they are doing as peddling/pushing their opinion/agenda. My opinion/agenda was to call out the bullying for what it is - pushing/peddling a specific behavior or action as the only acceptable behavior/action.

Anyways, I said I wouldn't frequent this particular part of FSU again, so I'm out. I only hope that we get some decent figure skating news soon to discuss over in GSD.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Is it possible to discuss topics without passing moral judgments on other people?

Sincere question.

Also, is it possible to read criticism directed at policies you agree or disagree with without taking it personally?

Also a sincere question.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
The state rest stops in VA and NC are open. Truckers have to pee.
I live along a road that is seriously the trucking capital of the Midwest. (near CenterPoint Intermodal, which is the largest inland port in North America). Wanna know where the truckers pee? 3 guesses - the containers end up all along the side of the road. It's totally disgusting. I wish they all stopped at appropriate rest stops to pee. But at least some significant number do not. :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I just posted some of those articles in this thread, too, to no reponse (at least thus far)
Maybe you, me, (and @BlueRidge?) could discuss among ourselves. :D

It really is an interesting topic for me because I think these calculations really need to be made. Maybe not putting a $$ to a human life, but humans are the economy in the end so that's probably valid. But definitely there should be calculations of how many are going to die of C19 vs. how many are going to die of SIP. And also other negative aspects that stop short of dying but also use up resources.

And every article I've read show SIP working. Plus our experience with the 1918 flu showed the same: the places that shut down the earliest, did the best economically.

3. One common critique of the economists's predictions is that they do not take into account the costs of social distancing. I think that is kind of amusing, as that is what economists DO, but it is a common critique.
I find it weird that people would assume that economists wouldn't consider that. It's what they are trained to do!

I see this as part of the devaluation of expertise. The idea that I can read the abstracts of a few studies on PubMed and know more than an expert needs a serious challenge.

People see what happened in NYC on the news, but they don't see any of that here so it's like it doesn't seem real.
That's understandable and how human's minds work. I think though that instead of using that to minimize the pan-dem-ic or tell yourself "that will never happen here" that you use it as "omg, we don't want that to happen here!" and therefore we should take some basic precautions.

cholla

High ground loner
In my second hometown, Chamonix (European capital of mountaineering), hiking and climbing were forbidden during lockdown. You couldn't go higher than 100 meters above your home and considering Chamonix is located at 1.000 m, (when the top of Mont Blanc is 4.810), it didn't mean much. The ban was of course not in fear of people catching Cov19 up there, but because rescue helicopters and teams had been requisitioned to taxi critical patients from hospitals with full IC Units to hospitals with available Cov19 beds. The lockdown was lifted on May 17 at 1 a.m. and people literally rushed uphill towards the Promise Land. (Most of) Alpinists are supposed to be reasonable people who carefully assess the risks they are taking. The problem was that very few of them was in the necessary good shape to make such a huge physical effort after 2 months of simply scampering within a 1 km radius around their home. Mountains huts were closed (they still are) as well as cable-cars, meaning you had to start from the bottom of the valley. Most of them made reasonable calculations and did not hike up over 2.500/3.000 m in one shot and went climbing on the lower peaks. But some went straight up as far as they could and the rescue patrol was called 21 times in only one day :duh: Some people had real bad accidents like falling into a crevasse, others were simply too tired to come down by their own means. Note that the circulation of people being restricted to a 100 km radius around Chamonix (like in every "green" zone of France), most of these alpinists were local, hence reasonably experienced. The Ministry of sports had edicted strict rules like roped parties being limited to 2 persons and among those who got stuck, too exhausted to climb down, there was 5 people on a same rope. It took 3 chopper rotations to get them down, a helicopter isn't a travel coach... Rescue in France is free of charge for the rescued, and entirely funded by tax payers. 1 helicopter rotation in high altitude costs between € 3.000 and 6.000 €. So freedom didn't last long, the prefect (regional magistrate), published a new rule the day after : no more climbing over 2.000 m.

But... On May 16, Aiguille du Midi cable-car re-opened. It goes up to 3.842 meters and serves the famous off pist skiing Vallée Blanche. 30 persons per car instead of 75, mask mandatory. And then whoooof, almost 21 km of downhill skiing. Actually it was more like baaaam, skiers falling into crevasses, breaking a leg and so on. 12 more rescues in one day. Because people were totally unprepared. This is my world you know, the kind of people I usually defend against critics. I'm one of them after all. But there... facepalm x 1.000. It shows just how people can loose all common sense when you have "breached" they sacro-sankt freedom and they want to retrieve it without any delay or safety net or any form of thinking. At my age, I have no choice but to return to heavy efforts and high altitude gradually. But this just means that it will take longer for me for things to return to normal. Younger people should have taken things gradullay too. But no, they had to rush out as fast and as high as they could. When I say "younger" it covers a lot of ground since I'm sixty! Among the rescued, some were 25 and some others were 56...

Last edited:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Here is the script I was talking about yesterday

I will translate the most vital parts

about the superspreader phenomenon
This can be modeled and graped mathematically. There is a whole series of interesting good new studies on it that say such a phenomenon is driving the SARS-2 epidemic. That is a very important implication, because these mass transfer events take place via aerosol. And if we know that this is the mode of transmission that drives the whole epidemic,
(according to the motto, if you cut off this transmission event) you canbasically control the whole epidemic. That is exactly what we want.
We are now in this second phase, where we say “The Hammer
and the dance ”. We are now in the phase "The Dance",
where you now realize where you have the dance partner, where the
Epidemic - theTiger - is allowed to be touched and where not. This is
a very important new finding that we need to focus on mass transmission events and aerosol transmission if we can
want to specifically control our measures.
Next question
I have seen a Japanese study in which it was estimated: the risk of transmission in the rooms is 19 times higher
as outside.
answer
Right, that's a new study that appeared on April 16. It is an interesting and robust study.
That's 110 cases that were looked at where asked
was: Who got infected here and to whom? Was that
inside or outside?

And you asked exactly how did it happen. A relative risk analysis concluded it is
actually 18.7 times more likely to get infected indoors
That is a significant difference in risk.
So 19 times the risk. It is clear what to look out for: everything that can be done outside should be outside.
USE THE SUMMER EFFECT
We had already talked about gastronomy.
Let us use the summer effect and allow it
the gastronomy to open the terrace.

then maybe one should go one step further in and say, maybe you need
on the terrace not even one and a half meters social distance
because we know that is only part of the infection process. Maybe a meter or even is enough
a little less. Maybe a normal table distance is enough. And then you don't allow
the interior if the weather allows it. So
one could make such compromises.
There are
our neighboring countries are much more willing to compromise and
more pragmatic. For example in the Scandinavian
Countries that go up to the school area, where said
certain class trains are only allowed outside
be taught. When the weather is bad - no lesson.
Everyone joins in, finds that
great and it works.

With us, the people with whom
I speak, they tell me: be careful bureaucracy will come and
and other concerns. They say,
we cannot do that because of regulations. I am not familiar with it,
but I can only say that based on such study data, you simply have to recommend it.
than about another study where it was looked where exactly the infection started:

There you also looked, where did they
took place? You can say that with these 318 cluster, there
was only one outbreak that took place outside
all the others occured inside.
You can also say 80 percent of the outbreaks were in the family or
Household sector. You have to be aware, though, at this time

when the study was done, January 4th to February 11th,
there had been Lockdown in Wuhan for three weeks.
And in some other cities where this study
there has been a lockdown, but not in all.
So 245 out of 318 were household outbreaks. 108
were associated with public transportation.
If you add that up, that's more than 300. That
is because there were several background situations in these outbreaks, so that
it can't tell apart or question multiple
come. But 108, or 34 percent of the outbreaks, had an aspect of using public ones
Transportation, and only 14 were associated with dining out.
and about the next study

There's another study that just came out, that's a preprint, I think, from London . Based on a literature review, it also compiled what the main transfer locations for clusters are. And what was done here - they looked in literature: Where have been clusters of more than 50 cases described?
The places are as follows:
churches
workers' dormitories
retirement homes
Hospitals
ships
schools
indoor sports facilities
bars
shops and conference venues.
Some of those does not exist at the moment, we are not holding conferences at the moment for instance.
But this top of the list that Churches, the workers 'dormitories, senior citizens' dormitories, all of this is very familiar to us in Germany -this is also where big Outbreaks in Germany are reported.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
and now about the summer
QUestion: Is it conceivable that we can have
almost a normal life with everyday cautious measures (like masks)
without restrictive measures?

Christian Drosten
Yes, I think that's possible. Maybe it is
the most important thing we discuss today. Based
of these ever-increasing insights into dispersion, we have a new perspective.

I always worry about autumn.
But there is a new hope through this now
now known crooked distribution of the infection frequency. If you consider there are 80 percent of the cases
attributable only to 20 percent sources of infection.
Then you have to intervene especially in this area.

One must and can invest in these risk areas.
and then it is much easier to get a grip of the overall epidemic even without vaccination.

Maybe then vaccine possible superspreaders early

And then a second, very important piece of information is in
this discussion. That says from observation
In this study you can derive something else,
namely, the infections go so quickly that with the knowledge that one is dealing primarily with large clusters: if you have a super spreading event you must
immediately isolate the entire cluster for diagnostics,
because you have no time for diagnostics.
If you can do that you might be able to bring the whole epidemic under controll

Lorac

@antmanb I was just wondering if Mr @antmanb was hoping to open up before the start of July date that is currently part of the government guidance for hairdressers here in the UK. There has been quite a bit on the news about hairdressers hoping to open by mid June:

Hairdressers say they are ready to open in June

The one lady down in London was stating that her stylists would be mearing visors, masks, gloves and aprons that are to be changed out after each appointment. Goodness only knows when massage therapists will be allowed to open!!

MsZem

@Hedwig - it's really great that you have scientific authorities who communicate well with the public and explain how our knowledge is evolving. It seems like in many places people have a hard time with the message changing over time, but of course it's going to change as our knowledge becomes more complete (and circumstances change!)

Today restaurants were allowed to reopen for dining and not just delivery/TA. I wasn't planning on going anywhere, but ended up having lunch instead of takeaway at one of my favorite neighborhood places, since they weren't crowded at all and I thought it would be nicer. I hope we can continue like this; I think that like you, we are in the dance phase of the hammer and the dance.

OTOH, the conference I was supposed to go to this fall is going virtual :( I didn't expect it to happen as originally planned, but would rather have it postponed or even cancelled. A virtual conference is pretty much pointless.

antmanb

@antmanb I was just wondering if Mr @antmanb was hoping to open up before the start of July date that is currently part of the government guidance for hairdressers here in the UK. There has been quite a bit on the news about hairdressers hoping to open by mid June:

Hairdressers say they are ready to open in June

The one lady down in London was stating that her stylists would be mearing visors, masks, gloves and aprons that are to be changed out after each appointment. Goodness only knows when massage therapists will be allowed to open!!
Mr Antmanb is currently keeping a full time job telling clients that articles like these are all good and well but the key is in the one sentence that expressly says the government says not before 4th July...until the government says otherwise it's not before July but constant media BS like this ensures he doesn't get a moment's peace and fever pitch clients clamour to get that first appointment and share articles like this on social media that give the hope that it might be sooner.

He's kept an eye on what has happened in Europe so he ordered boxes of masks early doors to make sure he had them ready for opening. He's got disposable gowns for clients. His salon is fairly big and there's only him and one other barber so they're each taking up a space that doesn't encroach on the other. He's put videos out to say that when he reopens it will be by appointment only and no one is to come early and that if you're late you will lose your appointment. The door will be locked and only opened for clients when it is their appointment. He's bought nice antique style pump bottles for hand sanitiser (his barbers is done out in a traditional style) and he will clean down the chair between clients.

He's ready to go as soon as they say he can.

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
The owner of the salon I go to has become a bit of an activist, pushing our governor (PA) to allow salons to open in the "yellow" phase instead of waiting for "green" (this salon still in a "red" area, same for where I live). Since he's become the face of this movement, I would say our salon is going to be really pulling out all stops to do this safely because they'll be under a microscope from the media and the state. Earliest we would be looking at would by June 5th, and I have a feeling 2 weeks later is much more likely.

My sister in law got her hair done on the weekend. Her hairdresser (who owns a home based salon) jacked prices wayyyy up. I understand needing to cover expenses of PPE and scheduling less clients so there’s time to clean but what would normally cost $120-140 was closer to $200 which seems a little much.

Lorac

Mr Antmanb is currently keeping a full time job telling clients that articles like these are all good and well but the key is in the one sentence that expressly says the government says not before 4th July...until the government says otherwise it's not before July but constant media BS like this ensures he doesn't get a moment's peace and fever pitch clients clamour to get that first appointment and share articles like this on social media that give the hope that it might be sooner.

He's kept an eye on what has happened in Europe so he ordered boxes of masks early doors to make sure he had them ready for opening. He's got disposable gowns for clients. His salon is fairly big and there's only him and one other barber so they're each taking up a space that doesn't encroach on the other. He's put videos out to say that when he reopens it will be by appointment only and no one is to come early and that if you're late you will lose your appointment. The door will be locked and only opened for clients when it is their appointment. He's bought nice antique style pump bottles for hand sanitiser (his barbers is done out in a traditional style) and he will clean down the chair between clients.

He's ready to go as soon as they say he can.
Yeah I get the pain of the hassle from clients. My hairdresser sent out an email today saying they will only be opening when the government states which i guess is in response to this article and all the press around it. They are currently working out what their space will look like and are probably going to remove the reception areas etc.

Being a massage therapist I am currently flummoxed as to how to proceed. So many articles and online courses about deep cleaning the room between clients but nothing practice as to how one actually protects oneself and the client during the massage. 😟

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
My sister in law got her hair done on the weekend. Her hairdresser (who owns a home based salon) jacked prices wayyyy up. I understand needing to cover expenses of PPE and scheduling less clients so there’s time to clean but what would normally cost $120-140 was closer to $200 which seems a little much.
Hair care may become more of a luxury. I actually think that price inflation during these times is reasonable. The questions is whether prices will come back down again whenever things become less distance-y.

Being a massage therapist I am currently flummoxed as to how to proceed. So many articles and online courses about deep cleaning the room between clients but nothing practice as to how one actually protects oneself and the client during the massage. 😟
One of my BFs is a home-based massage therapist who never fully closed (massage is considered essential service here). I can ask her more details, but I know that she is masked the whole time, the client is masked when face up, just as a start.

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
@Lorac a friend just sent me an email from her salon outlining the steps they're taking and requiring for facials, which is similar close body contact.

For the estheticians - masks, face shield, gloves and gown.

For the client - mandatory completion of health questionnaire, temperature check, wash and sanitize hands, gargle with mouthwash provided and gloves.

In and out - no socializing - and everything is disinfected between clients.

Lorac

@Lorac a friend just sent me an email from her salon outlining the steps they're taking and requiring for facials, which is similar close body contact.

For the estheticians - masks, face shield, gloves and gown.

For the client - mandatory completion of health questionnaire, temperature check, wash and sanitize hands, gargle with mouthwash provided and gloves.

In and out - no socializing - and everything is disinfected between clients.
I'm aware of what some massage therapists are doing in the US as I use to live there and am on several massage pages for both there and here in the UK but the sheer thought of wearing masks, face shields, gloves and gowns or aprons isn't appealing. Then there's the fact I do therapeutic work and use forearms and elbows a lot leaves me a little perturbed as to how I can feasibly give a good massage. And the medical science is constantly updating but blood clots seem to be a concern for post ********* patients which is contraindicated in massage.

And the room I usually work in has carpet on the floor. Not as easy to deep clean that.

Lots of questions and too many differing answers. 😐

Jenny

From the Bloc
Hair care may become more of a luxury. I actually think that price inflation during these times is reasonable. The questions is whether prices will come back down again whenever things become less distance-y.
I do wonder about this. I remember a time when a salon was a place where you got your haircut, and if you were an older lady, you got it coloured and set. Men went to barbers for the most part, and if anyone wanted a manicure, it was at a little hole in the wall.

Now we live in a spa culture, and more recently, total wellness. My salon caters equally to women and men, and in addition to hair services does makeup and nails, and was in the process of transforming their small massage operation into a full-service medi-spa. And a retail shop. Not to mention all the hotels that augment the traditional revenue they get from booking hotel rooms with full-service spas that cater primarily to local clients - and many of them have also invested heavily in wellness services such as yoga studios, visiting practitioner programs and all that.

Will things ever be the same, or back on the trajectory they were on just a few months ago? I doubt it.

Good luck to @Lorac and Mr @antmanb and all who are in this sector. (As an aside, I just ordered an at-home colour kit from my salon that is apparently going to be mixed up based on my records and the headshot I sent, and delivered to my house. The lead colourist for the salon group has posted a self-video of herself doing her own roots for clients to follow along. The cost is going to be about half what I usually pay, sans tipping.)

canbelto

I wonder if even when things reopen the influencer occupation will die out. Businesses will be hurting for money and I'm not sure many of them can just pay people to shill their products on Instagram.

antmanb

Yeah I get the pain of the hassle from clients. My hairdresser sent out an email today saying they will only be opening when the government states which i guess is in response to this article and all the press around it. They are currently working out what their space will look like and are probably going to remove the reception areas etc.

That's a really tough one @Lorac my sister is a reflexologist so her plan, when she is allowed to reopen is pretty much what she does already - clean the clients feet and her hands with antibacterial wipes, carry out the reflexology, clean everything down afterwards (the chair arms etc) and put a new paper roll over the chair and swap out the towels at the end. But that's much easier when you're only doing feet.

Some suggestions have been ridiculous. I believe Spain started out saying hair salons had to use disposable towels....Mr Antmanb had a panic about that but I pointed out he uses one towel on one client and then always washes and dries that towel anyway and that should be more than enough.

My fear is that in coronaHysteria we're absolutely back pedalling on all the good work we've done for the environment. Single use throwaway plastic is back to being king in the name of health/hygiene, but I think washing with soap and water is still the best way so maybe you have to consider scrubbing your hands and forearms like a surgeon might between clients? I'm guessing you don't touch your face while you're massaging clients already because you'll have oils on your hands? Maybe washing your hands and arms in front of clients before the treatment to give them comfort?

Mr Antmanb is a member of the hairdressing federation and they have been putting out fairly good advice about reopening - is there an official body for massage?

antmanb

@Jenny Mr Antmanb has purposefully become more of a barber in the last few years but he has done the colour kit thing for any clients that were struggling and he sent them personal video tutorials.

He also did some hair and beard cutting tutorials for clients who were braving the lockdown haircut using me as his model...it took a few takes for me to stop giggling!

He's also done facetime tutoring for people doing home haircuts including one client who was using kitchen scissors to cut to cut his own hair :eek: :lol:

One particularly well received video was the bald Mr Antmanb having glued a fringe (bang) hairpiece to the front of his head to demonstrate cutting your own fringe :lol:

One of our friends called us to show us her success in following his video to cut her fringe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information