What about those Senate and House races

topaz

This came out in Nov. 9 when the prospect of winning both GA seats was still a doable but very difficult and almost insurmountable pipe dream for many of us, but the creator of this video knew:

This is why organizing is important. You, I and others have stated how important it is to reach out to non voters. Getting 5 to 10% of non voters to participate can have huge ramifications on elections. This strategy has to be used at the local/state level. It can be much more attainable for left leaning progressive candidates to win a local election than state. Usually garnering 2000 to 3000 votes can win a local race like city council or alderperson.

ilovepaydays

I have a year to decide where to move. Hotlanta is hot and humid, but Athens is really nice. Or the coast.

A few years ago, I lived in Athens for six months. It’s a very nice area. I like Savannah too. I would also live in the Rome or Dalton areas.

There’s no way I live in the Atlanta area. Everyone I know who lives there says it’s becoming a nightmare to get around - anywhere - because of the traffic.

Speaking of booming Southern areas, I bet that in 5-10 years, the Nashville (TN) area will turn into what Atlanta is now.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
A few years ago, I lived in Athens for six months. It’s a very nice area. I like Savannah too. I would also live in the Rome or Dalton areas.

There’s no way I live in the Atlanta area. Everyone I know who lives there says it’s becoming a nightmare to get around - anywhere - because of the traffic.

Speaking of booming Southern areas, I bet that in 5-10 years, the Nashville (TN) area will turn into what Atlanta is now.
Nashville already is

manhn

I went to Atlanta and Nashville before going to Vegas for 2019 Skate America. First time both. I heard all about the traffic nightmare, but I thought traffic was fine. Compared to Seattle or LA, thought it was okay. The only time I was stuck in traffic was leaving Nashville for the airport...due to a MAGA Rally. Heh

Loved Atlanta. Their BeltLine is one of my favourite urban amenities in all of the USA.

MsZem

Jon Ossoff will be the senior senator and Raphael Warnock the junior senator from Georgia. Wikipedia says many tiebreakers were involved in this.
Warnock's tweet embedded in that article makes it look like they'll be deciding it by doing rock-paper-scissors.

MacMadame

Staying at home

ballettmaus

I don't know if getting rid of the filibuster is a good idea but I know that I don't give a crap about what McConnell says he thinks about it and if, Dems think it's a good idea, they need to just do it and tell McConnell to stuff it.
I'm torn. On the one hand, I like it, on the other hand, I read that it was created by mistake/sloppiness, so it wasn't supposed to be there. Republicans would have passed and repealed a lot of frightening laws in the first two years of Trump without the filibuster, but Obama would likely have been able to pass a lot of good laws before that. Likewise, Biden would be able to pass a lot of good laws. if Biden can pass his laws quickly and people start to feel the effects without the filibuster then maybe the threat of another autocrat and racist will decrease significantly. But what if not? I can't say if I think the risk would be worth it.

ballettmaus

Rep. Andy Harris allegedly tried to bring a concealed weapon to the House floor. https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/politics/congressman-gun-capitol/index.html

Rep. Andy Harris, of Maryland, set off a metal detector outside the House floor on Thursday and an officer soon discovered it was because he was carrying a concealed gun on his side, a Capitol official told CNN. The officer sent Harris away, prompting him to ask fellow Republican Rep. John Katko, of New York, to hold his weapon.

According to a press pool report, Katko refused to hold the gun for Harris, saying that he did not have a license. Harris then left the area and returned moments later, walking onto the House floor without setting off the magnetometer.

Meoima

Section 3 isn’t going to provide a quick, easy method of removal if members of Congress are found to have been complicit in the attack on the Capitol. But in a more protracted way, it may be of use for House Democrats against “coup crew” Republicans.

Based on evidence turned up by the House Ethics Committee investigation, the House could by a simple majority vote determine that some members fall on the wrong side of Section 3. That wouldn’t send those representatives packing, but it would allow citizens in their home states to sue to keep them off the 2022 ballot should they try to run again — just as if they were, say, underage. Alternatively, if any were to win reelection in 2022, the House could then exclude them, again with a simple majority vote.

If facts bear out that elected representatives conspired in the assault on the Capitol, two-thirds of the House should do the right thing and expel them. However, if the sharply divided House can’t muster the necessary supermajority, Democrats can fall back on Section 3. It won’t banish the conspirators in 2021, but it could make this term their last.

From https://www.latimes.com/opinion/sto...ulsion-house-of-representatives-majority-vote

Meoima

Republican legislators across the country are preparing a slew of new voting restrictions in the wake of former President Donald Trump’s defeat.

Georgia will be the focal point of the GOP push to change state election laws, after Democrats narrowly took both Senate seats there and President Joe Biden carried the state by an even smaller margin. But state Republicans in deep-red states and battlegrounds alike are citing Trump’s meritless claims of voter fraud in 2020 — and the declining trust in election integrity Trump helped drive — as an excuse to tighten access to the polls.

From State Republicans push new voting restrictions after Trump’s loss - POLITICO

caseyedwards

Not surprising. What’s surprising is Georgia elections board had the authority to invent a new way of voting with drop boxes without it being specifically authorized first! I would expect elections boards to never be allowed to invent a new way of voting without legislative approval! But of course the interesting thing trump didn’t lose because of drop boxes he lost because extreme hatred of Trump by rich white republican women! And for some reason all Georgia republicans can’t say this publicly. If they could just say it publicly everything would be different

Susan1

Dang. He's the only almost halfway decent GOP we've got here.

caseyedwards

Dang. He's the only almost halfway decent GOP we've got here.
More than Biden voting Kasich?

If trump is convicted and banned Kasich runs for president. If not Kasich may run for senate and win!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Schumer will use the nuclear option if he has to. He can change the filibuster rule without eliminating the filibuster. All he needs is 51 votes to do so. If McConnell resists too much, they'll do it. Manchin will vote with the Democratic caucus if McConnell forces the issue. The ball is now in McConnell's court. Score Schumer 1 McConnell 0. Today Biden indicated that he'd give the Senate an opportunity to negotiate, but if negotiations fail, then there are other options. Lawrence O'Donal is discussing this right now.

ballettmaus

Schumer will use the nuclear option if he has to. He can change the filibuster rule without eliminating the filibuster. All he needs is 51 votes to do so. If McConnell resists too much, they'll do it. Manchin will vote with the Democratic caucus if McConnell forces the issue. The ball is now in McConnell's court. Score Schumer 1 McConnell 0. Today Biden indicated that he'd give the Senate an opportunity to negotiate, but if negotiations fail, then there are other options. Lawrence O'Donal is discussing this right now.
I like the idea that one of his guests just put forth, that they should change it around so that so and so many Senators are needed to continue debate. That sounds like a good/acceptable compromise.

clairecloutier

Here's a New York Times interview with Nan Whaley, the mayor of Dayton, OH. Whaley may run for the Rob Portman Senate seat or the Ohio governorship in 2022. They asked her thoughts on how Democrats can win in the Midwest.

How Nan Whaley Sees Ohio Politics

A couple things that stood out to me. First of all, Whaley thinks Biden could have won Ohio, but that (in her view) the Dems simply chose not to compete by not doing voter registration and going door-to-door (due to *********).

On coastal elitism in the Democratic Party:

One of the challenges in our party is, we have a lot of smart people in the party and everyone wants to be the smartest person in the room. And shouldn’t we be focused on what makes people’s lives better, even if it’s a regular person’s idea?

On the next relief bill and (by implication) the filibuster:

What do you think people in Ohio need to see from Biden in the next year ——

They need the rescue package. They need to see that something is different, and it’s moving quickly.

Do you think they care about legislation like that being bipartisan, or do you think they just want it fast?

No. No. They want it fast. Nobody cares what happens in D.C. and who voted what. They just want it done, and we should provide that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information