We are the Resistance #2

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
*** Southern Poverty Law Center Fires Morris Dees, Its Co-Founder :
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/14/7035...y-law-center-fires-morris-dees-its-co-founder
"As a civil rights organization, the SPLC is committed to ensuring that the conduct of our staff reflects the mission of the organization and the values we hope to instill in the world," President Richard Cohen said in a statement. "When one of our own fails to meet those standards, no matter his or her role in the organization, we take it seriously and must take appropriate action."

No specific reason for the termination was given. Dees, 82, told The Associated Press that the matter involved a personnel issue.

clairecloutier

Ratings
So returning again to the Dem progressive vs. centrist issue (sorry, I think I am a little obsessed with this), I liked this opinion piece in Politico:

The Silence of the Democratic Lambs
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/03/13/the-silence-of-the-democratic-lambs-225782

In which the author says that, basically, if Dem centrists don't want AOC and Ilhan Omar to grab all the headlines and attention, then they need to step up to the plate and publicly push their own initiatives and legislation. Which I agree with. I'm willing to listen to what they have to say--but say something, propose something.

I noticed this exact thing in the previous article I linked about Omar and the centrist new Dem representative from Minnesota, Dan Phillips. It sounded like Phillips was going to meetings with other centrists in D.C. and voicing concern about people being too far left, but it didn't sound like he had any legislation on the table or anything he was really fighting for. I am so tired of these people getting elected and going to Washington and then diddling around for a year before starting to run again for reelection. I want them to be something more than a safe centrist Democratic vote.

ETA: I guess maybe part of being a centrist is they don't feel the need to be doing anything (i.e., making changes) all the time. :lol:

Last edited:

topaz

Ratings
So returning again to the Dem progressive vs. centrist issue (sorry, I think I am a little obsessed with this), I liked this opinion piece in Politico:

The Silence of the Democratic Lambs
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/03/13/the-silence-of-the-democratic-lambs-225782

In which the author says that, basically, if Dem centrists don't want AOC and Ilhan Omar to grab all the headlines and attention, then they need to step up to the plate and publicly push their own initiatives and legislation. Which I agree with. I'm willing to listen to what they have to say--but say something, propose something.

I noticed this exact thing in the previous article I linked about Omar and the centrist new Dem representative from Minnesota, Dan Phillips. It sounded like Phillips was going to meetings with other centrists in D.C. and voicing concern about people being too far left, but it didn't sound like he had any legislation on the table or anything he was really fighting for. I am so tired of these people getting elected and going to Washington and then diddling around for a year before starting to run again for reelection. I want them to be something more than a safe centrist Democratic vote.

ETA: I guess maybe part of being a centrist is they don't feel the need to be doing anything (i.e., making changes) all the time. :lol:

An example of this the current Delaware AG's recent proposal
https://theintercept.com/2019/03/11/kathleen-jennings-prosecutor-guidelines-delaware/

AG Kathleen Jennings is change the criminal justice system in Delaware.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Mark Kelly, Democrat (former astronaut and husband of former injured HR Gabrielle Gifford) is all for common sense gun laws. He is the real deal, according to a Facebook friend. He is slightly behind Martha McSally, the appointed senator to fill McCain’s seat by our republican governor. McSally lost the senate race to Kirsten Sinema, and the governor gave her McCain’s seat, which did not please many of us.

If Kelly wins, we will gain a seat in the senate, and both AZ senators will be democrats. So I am hoping to help his campaign in some way. What kind of help is needed will become clearer as we get closer to the election.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
In the Arizona Our current republican governor Doug Ducey was re-elected last year. I did not have a major problem with him until recently. He supports Trump in closing the border. This guy has to go. It is the stupidest thing. It will ruin our economy. I will need to support his democratic opponent when he is ready to run for his next reelection. I would have supported the democrat anyway but now it is more important.

Ducey got elected in 2018 so it is going to be a very long wait.

NeilJLeonard

Ratings
In the Arizona Our current republican governor Doug Ducey was re-elected last year. I did not have a major problem with him until recently. He supports Trump in closing the border. This guy has to go. It is the stupidest thing. It will ruin our economy. I will need to support his democratic opponent when he is ready to run for his next reelection. I would have supported the democrat anyway but now it is more important.

Ducey got elected in 2018 so it is going to be a very long wait.
I know the feeling. Governor, both senate seats, Legislature are all GOP. I see no end in sight.

NJL...:(

Susan1

Ratings
I didn't know which thread to put this in. I forgot to mention that I saw a commercial for Hillary being on Fareed Zakaria's show at 10 a.m. on CNN today. I am recording it right now . It is on again at 1 p.m. (maybe other times too?)

topaz

Ratings

topaz

Ratings
I didn't know which thread to put this in. I forgot to mention that I saw a commercial for Hillary being on Fareed Zakaria's show at 10 a.m. on CNN today. I am recording it right now . It is on again at 1 p.m. (maybe other times too?)

I can't handle CNN. They're reporting or lack of reporting over the last 10 years has been atrocious. Very little investigative journalism and most of if is from a corporate POV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)