We are the Resistance #2

ballettmaus

Ratings
Speaking of outgoing moderate Dems, I just came across this about Heidi Heitkamp, who seems to be spending her time a little more constructively than McCaskill.

A Single GOP Congressman Is Blocking A Bill To Help Abused Native Women (HuffPo)
Of course it's Goodlatte. That man ... :mad:

In other news, Roberts sided with the liberal judges so that the Supreme Court upheld the 9th circuit ruling that blocks Trump from barring migrants who don't cross at official ports of entry from seeking asylum. https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/politics/supreme-court-upholds-block-on-trumps-asylum-ban/index.html

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
‘I want to go back to work’: Federal workers rally at White House for end to shutdown (Washington Post)

Furloughed federal employees and out-of-work contractors greeted each other Thursday with a sarcastic nickname that, on the 20th day of a partial government shutdown, captured their feeling of powerlessness: “Hello, fellow pawns.”

They shouted it to each other over the brutal wind and bitter cold on Thursday in downtown Washington, where hundreds gathered to demand government leaders put an end to the shutdown and allow them to get back to work.

“I want our politicians to get to the table and work out a meaningful plan,” said Anand Desai, 36, an auditor with the Internal Revenue Service from Prince William County, Va. “They need to just solve it and stop using federal workers and the services we provide as a bargaining chip.”

Leaders of the National Federation of Federal Employees (NFFE) said they hoped bringing federal workers to the president’s doorstep would show him whom the shutdown has hurt most.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Ratings
Speaking of outgoing moderate Dems, I just came across this about Heidi Heitkamp, who seems to be spending her time a little more constructively than McCaskill.

A Single GOP Congressman Is Blocking A Bill To Help Abused Native Women (HuffPo)

Of course it's Goodlatte. That man ... :mad:

In other news, Roberts sided with the liberal judges so that the Supreme Court upheld the 9th circuit ruling that blocks Trump from barring migrants who don't cross at official ports of entry from seeking asylum. https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/21/politics/supreme-court-upholds-block-on-trumps-asylum-ban/index.html
Thank goodness Goodlatte is gone. The bill should not have problems in a Democratic House.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, (R) who is taking up the issue of resubmitting Savannah's bill in the Senate from Heidi Heitkamp, is speaking on the Senate floor in favor of opening the government and NOT taking disaster money to build the wall. She is citing stories of Alaskan federal workers affected by earthquakes this year.I

She is the first Republican to do so.

May I say I have a lot of respect for both Heitkamp and Murkowski? I think both try to advocate for the good of their constituents, which is what it should be about.

Meanwhile the air traffic controllers are suing the Trump administration to end the shutdown, as it pertains to them.

Last edited:

Susan1

Ratings
LOL from FB -

"A flight attendant sees a suspicious looking couple on board, so she reports it to the Captain immediately.
"Sir, I think we have a case of human trafficking! There is a very pretty, hot and sexy, female passenger on board, who looks quite frightened and the man she is with is a fat old slob who looks like a lecher, very sullen, mean and dangerous!"
The captain responds, "Patricia, I've told you this before. This is Air Force One..." "

(could have done without the "hot and sexy" exaggeration though)

puglover

Ratings
Not sure where to put this - we are on a cruise in the Caribbean. We began in San Juan so it is a pretty multi-national group of passengers. Probably because we are English speaking we have sat with a number of Brits, Americans and Canadians at dinner. The Brits are upset by the politics in their country, glad to be away from news, and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow they do, the Americans are upset by the politics in their country, glad to be away from news and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow they do, we Canadians are upset by the politics in our country, glad to be away from news and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow, we do. My husband made the point that we hardly sound like we all come from democracies. Sad!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Not sure where to put this - we are on a cruise in the Caribbean. We began in San Juan so it is a pretty multi-national group of passengers. Probably because we are English speaking we have sat with a number of Brits, Americans and Canadians at dinner. The Brits are upset by the politics in their country, glad to be away from news, and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow they do, the Americans are upset by the politics in their country, glad to be away from news and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow they do, we Canadians are upset by the politics in our country, glad to be away from news and claim not to want to talk about it but somehow, we do. My husband made the point that we hardly sound like we all come from democracies. Sad!
I think you are able to say those things Because you come from democracies. If you were from dictatorships you may be afraid to say how you really felt about the politics in your countries.

puglover

Ratings
Agreed - I am very grateful to come from a democracy - just don't remember a time when these 3 great nations have had so many citizens so very frustrated. Of course, I know I am speaking about only a very small representation that I have personally had contact with.

jeffisjeff

Ratings
According to one study by liberal media watchdog Media Matters, Rep. Rashida Tlaib’s profane vow to impeach the President received five times more coverage on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC than Rep. Steve King’s controversial remarks about white supremacy.

In the day after Rep. Tlaib said to supporters that “we’re gonna go in and impeach the motherf—-,” referring to President Trump, the three cable news networks devoted over two and a half hours to the topic. In a similar period following the publication of Rep. Steve King’s comments questioning how the phrase ‘white supremacist’ could be offensive, those networks spent just under 30 minutes on the subject.
Fox News spent 52 minutes discussing Tlaib’s cursing, but only 42 seconds on King’s comments about white supremacy, according to Media Matters.
http://time.com/5501432/tlaib-profantiy-5-times-more-coverage-king-white-supremacy/

NeilJLeonard

Ratings
You expected something different? Fox will always feature anything they consider damaging to liberals to feed the conservative base and always suppress or ignore anything that may show conservatism in a bad light.

The so called MSM will always feature anything that seems to be more controversial. They seem to be less interested in something that seems to be the bedrock of American Christian Conservatism.

Also, one was said by a rookie liberal Muslim woman and the other by a long serving conservative Christian man. I am certain that that figured into the coverage.

NJL (..FTR, I consider Fox to be part of the MSM. Their emphasis is different. that is all...)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Steve King has been removed from the judiciary committee because of his racist comments.

Every small step in the right direction is good.

ETA- he has been removed from All committees. Even republicans wanted him out, even though Trump loved him.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
A case of grave resistance resulted in a retraction of censorship & a public apology from the newspaper.

*** Obit blaming Trump for hastening woman's death should have published :
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...mp-for-hastened-death-in-obituary/2551456002/
When Frances Irene Finley Williams took her last breath on Nov. 21, her family wanted it known that, while Donald Trump didn’t kill her, he certainly accelerated her demise.

An 87-year-old spitfire of a lady who had a voracious appetite for news and strong opinions about the direction of the country, she told her daughter about six months before her death, “If I die soon, all this Trump stuff has had an effect.”

So when her heart and her lungs gave out the day before Thanksgiving, her daughter, Cathy Duff, knew what she had to do.
Even if people can’t vote from the grave — unless they live in certain Eastern Kentucky counties — some of them are going to want to speak from it. And people should be able to say what they want about politics in obituaries they pay for, no matter who they support or oppose.

The family of Frances Irene Finley Williams thinks you should know she thought Trump was “crass, vulgar, racist, sexist, dishonest, corrupt and unintelligent.”

And you should.
:lol:

Susan1

Ratings
the moron's medical report has been released (no time to attach; I'm sure everyone can find it) 243 lbs. and still 6'3". Um, add 50 lbs and subtract 2". Any man who is 6'3" OR 243 lbs. would be able to compare their body to that tub of lard.

Susan1

Ratings
Grey's Anatomy last night (anniversary of the shooting in Parkland, FL)

"During the episode, Billy Boyd's character, Seamus, mentioned a real-life shooting that happened in Scotland in 1996. During the Dunblane school massacre, 16 children and a teacher were killed before the shooter killed himself. It was the deadliest mass shooting in British history. As Seamus said on the show, after it happened, they issued new gun laws and it has yet to happen again. "

Susan1

Ratings
I'm not saying this statement is true or the op-ed exists or anything, but FB is all abuzz with speculation of what drugs he's taking (Adderal looks popular) or if it's from a brain disease! The word salad, paranoia, agitation, etc. Maybe he needs a drug test AND an MRI:

" This op-ed from an ophthalmologist will blow you away.

“Dilated pupils, to this degree, would not occur in a 70-year-old, in a well-lit room unless there is either disease, injury or a pharmacologic cause present. Trump’s pupils are frequently but intermittently this large (sometimes they are indeed within normal size limits).

Trump’s enlarged pupils are much less likely a sign of a significant undiagnosed or undisclosed medical condition — and much more likely, a side effect of a drug/medication (one of a relatively small group of drugs).”
"

caseyedwards

Ratings
Grey's Anatomy last night (anniversary of the shooting in Parkland, FL)

"During the episode, Billy Boyd's character, Seamus, mentioned a real-life shooting that happened in Scotland in 1996. During the Dunblane school massacre, 16 children and a teacher were killed before the shooter killed himself. It was the deadliest mass shooting in British history. As Seamus said on the show, after it happened, they issued new gun laws and it has yet to happen again. "
So true. And when democrats won house and senate and presidency in 2008 right after v-tech they didn’t do anything. In fact they voted and obama signed - guns in national parks, guns in trains and after holder talked about banning assault weapons he was banned by the White House from ever talking about it again

topaz

Ratings
If you're interested in learning more about the Justice Democrat wing of the party, check out this interview with Alexandra Rojas, executive director of the group. She talks about the Justice Democrats' goals & strategy for 2020:

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a26537786/alexandra-rojas-justice-democrats-interview/
So many young people, women of color too that are driving the progressive agenda. She's 24 years old and started her political career when she was 20/21 years old. Incredible!!!

Justice Democrats, Brand New Congress and Our Revolution have already made their strong voices heard in US politics over the last few years.

clairecloutier

Ratings
So here is a Politico article about Ilhan Omar and Dan Phillips, both freshmen Democratic House members from Minnesota, but representing 2 different wings of the party (progressive and moderate). The author of the article frames their differences as a microcosm of the ideological divide in the Democratic Party:

The Democrats' Dilemma
https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...an-phillips-minnesota-democratic-party-225696

There are also 2 pieces in The New York Times today looking at the fallout of the Ilhan Omar controversy this week. The first one is an article covering reactions in her district. The second is an opinion piece.

Omar's Constituents Grapple with Her Remarks
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Ilhan Omar's Microaggression
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

ballettmaus

Ratings
I'm so tired of the MSM beating this to death. If only they'd do the same with each Republican controversy. Steve King's remarks were gone again within a couple of days or so and no one bats an eye at Trump anymore. Not to mention that there are factions within the GOP that are at odds, too, and we never hear about those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)