We are the Resistance #2

ballettmaus

Ratings
Democrats say their first bill in the House is aimed at reinvigorating the Voting Rights Act and establish automatic voter Registration https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/6656...gn=politics&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2041

The bill would establish automatic voter registration and reinvigorate the Voting Rights Act, crippled by a Supreme Court decision in 2013. It would take away redistricting power from state legislatures and give it to independent commissions.

"A lot of it looks to be unconstitutional," said David Keating, president of the Institute for Free Speech, a group that's opposed to many campaign finance regulations.
Oh look, suddenly someone cares about the Constitution again.

At a post-election press conference Wednesday, Trump said that if House Democrats start issuing subpoenas, he said he would task Senate Republicans to reply back with subpoenas of Democrats, "and it'll probably be very good for me politically."
It would be a blatant abuse of power, authoritarian and any Senator who complies should be removed from office!

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Ratings
A judge ruled a Mississippi law that would have banned most abortions after 15 weeks unconstitutional. https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/health/mississippi-abortion-ban-15-weeks-ruling/index.html

"The state chose to pass a law it knew was unconstitutional to endorse a decadeslong campaign, fueled by national interest groups, to ask the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade," Reeves wrote.

"Its leaders are proud to challenge Roe but choose not to lift a finger to address the tragedies lurking on the other side of the delivery room, such as high infant and maternal mortality rates," he wrote in a footnote.

"The fact that men, myself included, are determining how women may choose to manage their reproductive health is a sad irony not lost on the court," he wrote.

"As a man, who cannot get pregnant or seek an abortion, I can only imagine the anxiety and turmoil a woman might experience when she decides whether to terminate her pregnancy through an abortion. Respecting her autonomy demands that this statute be enjoined."

snoopy

Ratings
^Same. I was like Amlo. I was non-committal on the special interest questions because they said "a few" special interests. I think there are many special interests that influence government, not just a few.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Ratings
Fun for thanksgiving and digesting carbs.

Most like Barack, least like the Trumpster (I'll take it)

I wondered how they would synthesize all my left-leaning positions with my strong belief that the government does right by its people, that "they" aren't holding a thing back from me, and particularly strongly believing in church authority, gay marriage and gay adoption. I don't think when they constructed those questions, they were thinking of my church:lol:

aftershocks

Ratings
I'm in the AMLO, Obama, Macron, Iglesias column.

Meanwhile, I saw this horrible situation on Youtube regarding a Korean adoptee who was deported back to South Korea from the U.S. at the age of 41. He had fought to make a better life for himself post running into trouble largely due to having been abused by the second adoptive family he lived with in the U.S., after the foster family he stayed with who were kind and loving asked to adopt him but were turned down and he was sent to the abusive parents. WTF! The foster mother had rescued him from the first adoptive parents who became disinterested in him after six years. This is America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAGvfeGrqc

Peaches LaTour

Ratings
Democrats say their first bill in the House is aimed at reinvigorating the Voting Rights Act and establish automatic voter Registration https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/6656...gn=politics&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2041

Oh look, suddenly someone cares about the Constitution again.

It would be a blatant abuse of power, authoritarian and any Senator who complies should be removed from office!
Yes, they should be removed from office if they comply but don't be surprised at how many of them will comply or will express no objection to complying.

Remember, there is no longer a Republican Party with character, moral standards or ethics. There is only the Party of Trump. They have none of those characteristics.

aftershocks

Ratings
I'm in the AMLO, Obama, Macron, Iglesias column.

Meanwhile, I saw this horrible situation on Youtube regarding a Korean adoptee who was deported back to South Korea from the U.S. at the age of 41. He had fought to make a better life for himself post running into trouble largely due to having been abused by the second adoptive family he lived with in the U.S., after the foster family he stayed with who were kind and loving asked to adopt him but were turned down and he was sent to the abusive parents. WTF! The foster mother had rescued him from the first adoptive parents who became disinterested in him after six years. This is America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAGvfeGrqc

I just don't understand the crappy reasoning behind moving a child around like discarded clothes between people on a list without first considering the child's best interests and desires, in addition to thoroughly vetting the people lining up on the list. Why doesn't it make sense to keep the child where he was loved and wanted and finally in a familiar, stable environment!? Why make another change that turned out to be so dreadfully horrific and abusive!? :eek:

Forget about what happened to this man after he worked hard to turn his life around and was raising a family of his own at 41. And then was unceremoniously ripped from them and sent back to a country and a culture where he no longer speaks or understands the language or anything else. This makes no sense. Forget about the other cases where deportees who had grown up in the U.S. ended up being killed or committing suicide when they were returned to countries where they no longer had any ties whatsoever.

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
*** Street outside Saudi Embassy could be renamed in honor of slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi :
https://wjla.com/news/local/dc-jamal-khashoggi-way-saudi-embassy
Community leaders in the District are now taking action to honor slain Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

On Wednesday night, the Advisory Neighborhood Commission that represents the Foggy Bottom area voted to ceremoniously rename the portion of New Hampshire Avenue on which the Saudi Embassy is located.
Under the proposal, which was unanimously approved, the stretch of New Hampshire Avenue from F Street to Juarez Circle would be designated as "Jamal Khashoggi Way." That’s right outside the Saudi Arabian embassy.
A ceremonial step is better than nothing when the POTUS completely ignores/accepts horrendous human rights abuses. They ought to plan a human rights postcard campaign with everyone sending one to the embassy addressed to them at Jamal Khashoggi Way if it passes.

topaz

Ratings
Any thoughts about McCaskill's comments?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ll-to-her-progressive-critics-shut-up/578719/

I hate that to her being a moderate means being open to being anti-choice. What else does being "moderate" open our party to? It's time to have some principles and make it clearer why the Democratic Party isn't just Republican-lite.

It's McCaskill's condescending tone at times in the article is reason why folks like me and others have such a hard time supporting democratic moderates. I witnessed it for over 15 years in the WI democratic party.

She and others are not looking towards engaging voters nor looking for more progressive leadership in their politicians. They want to hold on or convince the voters who's numbers are dwindling or the voters who really want to vote conservative.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
There was a long time when being a moderate in the Republican Party meant being pro-choice.

How we get to the idea that being moderate in the Dem party can mean being anti-abortion, I do not know.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ratings
Speaking of outgoing moderate Dems, I just came across this about Heidi Heitkamp, who seems to be spending her time a little more constructively than McCaskill.

A Single GOP Congressman Is Blocking A Bill To Help Abused Native Women (HuffPo)

Heitkamp and Goodlatte will both be gone in the next Congress; she lost her reelection and he is retiring. If anything, that’s freed up Heitkamp to devote her final days in Washington to publicly shaming Goodlatte.
“My bill is being blocked from a vote in the U.S. House because of petty partisan games being played by one individual, Republican Congressman Bob Goodlatte,” Heitkamp said in a statement. “Unlike Congressman Goodlatte, I am serious about saving lives and making sure Native American women are invisible no longer ― and I’m determined to not let Savanna’s Act go down without a fight. And I hope every member of Congress puts pressure on him so we can pass Savanna’s Act now.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)