W/P will sit out Grand Prix

Dobre

Well, that just changed the GP seeding. We'll see who is still on the list at the end of the month.

nimi

According to Wikipedia, they haven't missed a GP assignment in 11 years! Eleven!
Wow :eek:

No wonder they're taking a break and sitting out this GP season. I hope they'll enjoy their time off from competing and come back feeling fresh! :summer:

mattiecat13

It it really that “restful” to sit out the Grand Prix but compete at Nationals? The skaters would still have to practice as much though there would be no traveling. Just curious.

barbarafan

Is it the Thank You tour? Hope they are in it...

I would doubt that is the reason...however...now that they have made the decision maybe they will be asked to do a few shows....They competed straight for 12 yrs (except for injuries) so they need to take a breath and live for a bit in order to jump into the next cycle. Good for them...

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
They have been doing a lot of traveling since the competitive season ended - appearing in shows in farflung parts of the world, including, most recently, Denis Ten's show. Kaitlyn's luggage got delayed on the return from that trip but Aeroflot found & returned it.

I'm sure some time off to regroup and refresh would be welcome.

puglover

Good for them - I assume this also means they have other opportunities they want to pursue. It seems a bit more risky to me for a dance team to skip the Grand Prix and show up at Canadians with two new programs in a crowded field but I am sure they have thought long and hard about it so - all the best!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
With Shibs and W/P sitting out this season and B/S and C/L probably (?) retiring, there really are opportunities for teams now at the mid-level to make a splash. (Looking at you, Hawayek/Baker and Step/Bukin.) I'm looking forward to a lot of movement in the standings.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Well, that just changed the GP seeding. We'll see who is still on the list at the end of the month.

If C/L are out that should be C/B, but I don't know how long it's taking for her injury to heal. My guess is that G/P will be the third team and they will get Skate Canada.

Edited as I had by mistake included B/S who were not at Worlds

Last edited:

Debbie S

We don't know about C/L, but from an Instagram post a few weeks ago, it sounds like B/S are continuing (it was a pic of them with Zhulin learning the Tango Romantica), which surprises me, but they won't be seeded on the GP since they didn't compete at Worlds. I believe their world ranking guarantees them 2 spots? C/B would be the 4th seeded team if C/L compete, 3rd seed if they don't.

RoseRed

We don't know about C/L, but from an Instagram post a few weeks ago, it sounds like B/S are continuing (it was a pic of them with Zhulin learning the Tango Romantica), which surprises me, but they won't be seeded on the GP since they didn't compete at Worlds. I believe their world ranking guarantees them 2 spots? C/B would be the 4th seeded team if C/L compete, 3rd seed if they don't.
I think someone said that it looked like an old picture though, so we really don't know what B/S are doing. They would be guaranteed 1, but would get 2 due to a high SB. The only way to be guaranteed 2 spots is to place top 10 (12 for singles) at Worlds.

starrynight

After so many non-stop seasons, a short break will help W/P recharge to keep competing. A good idea to prevent exhaustion I think.

As an aside, Skate Canada has clearly sanctioned this tour and provided approval for skaters like Osmond and Weaver/Poje to skate in lieu of the GP circuit.

But I wonder if the ISU is going to get miffed about this? I wonder if we might see some kind of rule change come in at some point? But I suppose it's not too different to Plushenko or Averbukh's shows during the competitive seasons is it?

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
So does this mean Kaitlyn will French braid Andrew's hair? (recent Twitter challenge)

lauravvv

I think someone said that it looked like an old picture though, so we really don't know what B/S are doing.
What did that person mean by "an old picture"? The last time Tango Romantica was used for competition was as a CD at the 2010 Olympics. Bobrova/Soloviev were there too, but she was blonde then and they were not training with Zhulin. And I don't remember them having a tango exhibition in these last years since Bobrova has had red hair. Or was it meant that they tried the tango just for fun earlier during the season when they probably had not yet decided if they were going to continue or not? But why would Soloviev post an old photo like that with a text "Ice is tempting, isn't it?" and a wink emoticon? Would he troll their fans in that way, very obviously hinting at something that he knew was not going to be?

Sorry for the off-topic. I just wanted to clarify.

But I wonder if the ISU is going to get miffed about this? I wonder if we might see some kind of rule change come in at some point? But I suppose it's not too different to Plushenko or Averbukh's shows during the competitive seasons is it?
It is very different, since mostly only professional skaters skate in Plushenko's and Averbukh's shows with very few exceptions. And even those few exceptions, like Plushenko himself and also Sotnikova, ended up not competing in any ISU competitions during the seasons when they took part in those shows even if they were not officially retired and it was unclear what they were going to do during the rest of the season.

starrynight

It is very different, since mostly only professional skaters skate in Plushenko's and Averbukh's shows with very few exceptions. And even those few exceptions, like Plushenko himself and also Sotnikova, ended up not competing in any ISU competitions during the seasons when they took part in those shows even if they were not officially retired and it was unclear what they were going to do during the rest of the season.

I would wonder if this were to become a yearly thing (which I think it won't as its only post Olympics) the ISU would maybe discourage it. I think because it's a lot more lucrative for some skaters than doing the GP. The reaction on social media has been hugely positive to WP joining the tour and its clear that Canadian fans are way way more interested in this tour than the GP and view it as a much bigger deal than competing.

believed

I would wonder if this were to become a yearly thing (which I think it won't as its only post Olympics) the ISU would maybe discourage it. I think because it's a lot more lucrative for some skaters than doing the GP. The reaction on social media has been hugely positive to WP joining the tour and its clear that Canadian fans are way way more interested in this tour than the GP and view it as a much bigger deal than competing.
It’s a lot more affordable than GP events and closer for a lot of people too, though, so that would make sense as to why Canadian fans are more excited about getting to attend this tour. (Not to say that anything you are suggesting may not be true! Who knows!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information