Voting: What’s Happening in your State

clairecloutier

This article also mentions problems with getting mail-in ballots in PA ☹️

once_upon

Oh no. A squirrel electrocuted itself and shut down the election office for about an hour.

Hope the family was compensated well from the GOP. 🤣

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
USA Today wrote a lengthy article with a list of the voting lawsuits state by state:
Those outcomes are part of a record-setting number of lawsuits that have been filed this year, with even more expected to come after polls close Tuesday. In all, more than 230 election-related federal lawsuits were filed from Jan. 1 to Oct. 23, higher than any of the past three presidential election years during the same time period, a USA TODAY analysis of federal court data found.

Susan1

p.s. - Ohio has received 1,432K+ absentee ballots.

"Boards of elections can process absentee ballots, including scanning, but not tabulating. They have been allowed to do this since Oct. 6. “The board must begin this process prior to Election Day to ensure the Unofficial Canvass includes all absentee ballots received by the close of polls," the Ohio Secretary of State said.

Boards of elections cannot tabulate any absentee ballots prior to 7:31 p.m. on Election Day.

Each board must upload vote totals for absentee ballots by 8 p.m., unless the voting system technology is unable to do so.

Ballots that are postmarked by Nov. 2 and arrive at board of elections by Nov. 13 will be counted in the final vote tally.

Boards of elections can begin tallying the official canvass on Nov. 14 and final official results and reports are due to the Ohio Secretary of State no later than 2 p.m. on Nov. 24."

Geez.

gkelly

Boards of elections cannot tabulate any absentee ballots prior to 7:31 p.m. on Election Day.

Each board must upload vote totals for absentee ballots by 8 p.m., unless the voting system technology is unable to do so.
So aside from the absentee ballots that arrive later, they're supposed to tabulate and upload all the ones that arrived on time within half an hour?

MacMadame

Staying at home
So aside from the absentee ballots that arrive later, they're supposed to tabulate and upload all the ones that arrived on time within half an hour?
They are already in the system. It's just pushing a button to add them to the rest of the totals.

At least that's how it happens in other states I have looked into. "Processed" means run through a voting machine.

easilydistracte

Geezette
From Ballotpedia:

Individual state Absentee Ballot Deadlines and other important dates

Individual state Deadlines for elections results certifications

I never realized how much variation existed among the different states, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

I guess that the Republican Party machine is convinced that the majority of pro-Republican votes will be cast on Election Day itself, while most pro-Democratic votes have been/will be cast via absentee ballot? Hence the push to disqualify/disallow as many absentee votes as possible? As of today, most of the percentages I've seen in various reporting show that a significant number of the states' early voting totals are already close to matching the overall voting totals in the 2016 election, without specifying the affiliations of the early voters at all. It's possible that the Republicans may be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to exclude the absentee/mail-in votes. Do they not consider that their guy may be trailing in the count on election night, despite his supporters mostly voting on 3 November? Having every absentee ballot included may come in handy then, wouldn't it?

tony

From Ballotpedia:

Individual state Absentee Ballot Deadlines and other important dates

Individual state Deadlines for elections results certifications

I never realized how much variation existed among the different states, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

I guess that the Republican Party machine is convinced that the majority of pro-Republican votes will be cast on Election Day itself, while most pro-Democratic votes have been/will be cast via absentee ballot? Hence the push to disqualify/disallow as many absentee votes as possible? As of today, most of the percentages I've seen in various reporting show that a significant number of the states' early voting totals are already close to matching the overall voting totals in the 2016 election, without specifying the affiliations of the early voters at all. It's possible that the Republicans may be shooting themselves in the foot by trying to exclude the absentee/mail-in votes. Do they not consider that their guy may be trailing in the count on election night, despite his supporters mostly voting on 3 November? Having every absentee ballot included may come in handy then, wouldn't it?
Not necessarily true that they don't know who has already voted. You can see statistics based on political party for quite a few states if you search it:

easilydistracte

Geezette
Not necessarily true that they don't know who has already voted. You can see statistics based on political party for quite a few states if you search it:

Thanks for the link!

Yes, I worded that statement incorrectly. I should have said, "The totals do show the party affiliations of the voters according to how the voters are registered with their state boards of elections; however, with the vote being via secret ballot, there is no telling how the actual vote totals are trending. (Especially with so many disaffected Republicans/Conservatives who are opting for Biden and who may have voted early this year.)"

tony

Thanks for the link!

Yes, I worded that statement incorrectly. I should have said, "The totals do show the party affiliations of the voters according to how the voters are registered with their state boards of elections; however, with the vote being via secret ballot, there is no telling how the actual vote totals are trending. (Especially with so many disaffected Republicans/Conservatives who are opting for Biden and who may have voted early this year.)"
Yeah, the numbers won't mean much for both that reason and for the insane amount of no affiliations who have already cast votes. But what it will show is that among the two-party system, Democrats were much more likely to have voted early by mail.

Susan1

Thanks for the link!

Somewhere (as usual ?, I've even seen it twice...) they interviewed three people who voted for trump last time, 2 republicans and one independent. They are voting for Biden this time. Apparently, they have had enough.

ErikWilliam

Record breaking early voting numbers in Louisiana:

I don’t expect deep red state Louisiana to switch to Biden, but they did eek out a Dem governor last Fall and if the numbers get closer with a personality figure like Trump who gets truly personal and ride or die supporters, then it may provide hope for the Dems back in my home state to not give up and springboard a new, younger wave.
Hubs is from Louisiana. Don't let the governor deceive you, he really was the only choice last time compared to the republican. No, Hubs' family is so strongly RED with the yard signs and everything (except poor them have been wracked by two hurricanes/tropicalstorms so right now it's a wasteland). I don't understand it. Well, I do. That family only votes with their wallet. All that matters. I've cooled off on visiting Louisiana.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Fortunately, the federal appeals judge (appointed by Dubya) ruled that the drive-thru votes WILL count for Houston Harris County. I was sweating that decision all day today.
Their willingness to toss out their own GOP votes because they think the majority of votes using this method will hurt their political chances just shows the lengths they will go to in their efforts to disenfranchise voters. Not only that, but as long as they're following their ID verifications and other rules, what does it matter if the voting takes place in the parking lot, the hallways, the bathroom, the basement or the attic as long as it's on the BOE property?

ilovepaydays

My location: Arlington, Virginia
Current time: 5:37am
Polls open: 6:00am
Polls close: 7:00pm

Just arrived at my polling place (I walked). I decided to wake up super early, get a big cold brew at Starbucks and get here ASAP because I figured the line would be LONG.

In 2016, I got here at around 6:30am and the line was down the street and my wait was about 1.5 hours.

I am first in line and there is one other person here so far. The parking lot is basically empty right now. Other than a few people in their cars waiting, the only other people here so far are the poll workers.

I’m a bit shocked that it’s THIS bare right now. 😮

But as always, I’m excited to vote today! 😁 🗳 🇺🇸

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

My location: Arlington, Virginia
Current time: 5:37am
Polls open: 6:00am
Polls close: 7:00pm

Just arrived at my polling place (I walked). I decided to wake up super early, get a big cold brew at Starbucks and get here ASAP because I figured the line would be LONG.

In 2016, I got here at around 6:30am and the line was down the street and my wait was about 1.5 hours.

I am first in line and there is one other person here so far. The parking lot is basically empty right now. Other than a few people in their cars waiting, the only other people here so far are the poll workers.

I’m a bit shocked that it’s THIS bare right now. 😮

But as always, I’m excited to vote today! 😁 🗳 🇺🇸

UPDATE: Yep, I was first in line. Entered poll at 6:00am and left by around 6:10am. It took me longer to fill out my ballot (it was a paper scanner ballot) than it was for them to check my ID and verify my information.

There was still just a short line when I left. Every other presidential election since 2008, I’ve arrived at the polls from 5:30-7:00am and I’ve waited between 1-2.5 hours.

Hmm......🤔 Did THIS many people vote early/by mail?

PRlady

UPDATE: Yep, I was first in line. Entered poll at 6:00am and left by around 6:08am. It took me longer to fill out my ballot (it was a paper scanner ballot) than it was for them to check my ID and verify my information.

There was still just a short line when I left. Every other presidential election since 2008, I’ve arrived at the polls from 5:30-7:00am and I’ve waited between 1-2.5 hours.

Hmm......🤔 Did THIS many people vote early/by mail?
My daughter is in Merrifield and voted either early in person or by mail. Northern Virginians are very savvy about anything political. ;)

ilovepaydays

My daughter is in Merrifield and voted either early in person or by mail. Northern Virginians are very savvy about anything political. ;)

True. But almost everyone I know still planned on voting in person today. And most people usually vote either early in the AM or late afternoon/evening. I still expected a LONG line outside and several wrap arounds inside.

Spikefan

I’ve been up since 3:30 but waited to get to my polling place until 5:30 as it’s 38 degrees out. The parking lot was already full and the line out to the highway (likely 2 hour wait but hard to tell). I decided to head home since I am off. Will head back around 9-10 when the sun will be out and it will be warmer.

hoptoad

No early voting in CT, but reportedly lots of vote by mail.

I got there in person 15 minutes early and there was already a long line. Still out in 45 minutes. I think that's about how long I waited in 2016 too.

VGThuy

Hubs is from Louisiana. Don't let the governor deceive you, he really was the only choice last time compared to the republican. No, Hubs' family is so strongly RED with the yard signs and everything (except poor them have been wracked by two hurricanes/tropicalstorms so right now it's a wasteland). I don't understand it. Well, I do. That family only votes with their wallet. All that matters. I've cooled off on visiting Louisiana.
I’m not being deceived. I’m born and raised in New Orleans. I know Louisiana.

Susan1

People on my city's FB page have been sharing pictures of long lines at different places.

And on the news - one place was giving out rubber fingers to touch the screen with. And another was reporting to use the hand sanitizer before and after, but make sure your hands are dry before you touch the screen or paper ballot, because it might ruin it. Wouldn't those have been nice to know/have a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information