Voting: What’s Happening in your State

Peaches LaTour

Received our ballots today, filled them out, walked them over to election headquarters, dropped them in the box & took a long, lovely walk home to enjoy this glorious Fall weather & to look at the changing tree colors.

Our actual voting time was about 30 minutes.

Can't believe it is two weeks from tonight.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
So much for "Stand back and stand by":
Voters across Brevard County Tuesday afternoon received threatening emails purporting to come from the Proud Boys, a far-right group that espouses militant authoritarian ideology, telling them to vote for President Trump, or else.

"Hi (name) We are in possession of all your information You are currently registered as a Democrat and we know this because we have gained access into the entire voting infrastructure. You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will come after you. Change your party affiliation to Republican to let us know you received our message and will comply. We will know which candidate you voted for. I would take this seriously if I were you. (Voter's address)," it read.

once_upon

We completed ours tonight. There were 2 races that I could not find enough info on them to make a wise decision. One for the learning community board and one for the local community College board. I did a write in for State Senator because I sure as hell was not going with Sasse or Jannicek.

I used the lawyers ratings to vote on should the 10 or 12 judges be retained. Only one did I not vote yes to. He had an approval rating of lawyers around 50%.

I voted for one Republican local candidate. And I voted to remove the clause that people could be enslaved or indentured for debt. I could believe that one was still on the books

Lacey

Posted this elsewhere because I didn't know about this thread:

My vote was received by PA Mail and recorded!!!

After overthinking where and how to vote, we went with the write in ballots for which we had previously asked when we had gotten the primary ballots and then automatically signed on for "real election" ballots to come later. The primary ones arrived too late and we had to walk those into the polling place.

We mailed them the day after Columbus Day when the PO was off. It was a very busy day there.

We decided to not take them to a collection box because the one nearest to us was not guarded even though a police station was next door. Happened to be going to a very large and responsible (they do passports) PO for a Priority Mail birthday card that had to get in the mail stat, so gave the professional our two ballots and asked if he could mail them. (There were people at the outdoor regular mail boxes taking pictures of themselves putting their ballots in those boxes.)

It took 8 Days...I really thought it had gotten "lost."

IT'S DONE!!!

I really didn't want to stand in line for hours or run into any kind of violence. FINITO!!!

maureenfarone

Just an update on what is going on in Lorain County Ohio where I live. Lorain county along with about 15 other counties got caught up with a vendor printing ballots that was definitely not up to the task. Inspite of our BOE telling up that ballots were mailed Oct. 6 that was really not the case. I think my ballot was probably mailed then and I received it on Oct. 14. Most of my friends have also received their absentee ballots. Several received theirs this week about Oct. 20 or 21. I still have 3 friends in one zipcode who, as of Oct. 23, have NOT RECEIVED their ballots. The BOE doesn't answer the phone, only replies occasionally to FB posts and has stated that all of the ballots have been mailed. What a **show. If my friends actually receive their absentee ballot, they will definitely have to make the 35 mile round trip to drop it off at the ONE drop box in the county.

This just so outrageous that I am :angryfire

Susan1

Just an update on what is going on in Lorain County Ohio where I live. Lorain county along with about 15 other counties got caught up with a vendor printing ballots that was definitely not up to the task. Inspite of our BOE telling up that ballots were mailed Oct. 6 that was really not the case. I think my ballot was probably mailed then and I received it on Oct. 14. Most of my friends have also received their absentee ballots. Several received theirs this week about Oct. 20 or 21. I still have 3 friends in one zipcode who, as of Oct. 23, have NOT RECEIVED their ballots. The BOE doesn't answer the phone, only replies occasionally to FB posts and has stated that all of the ballots have been mailed. What a **show. If my friends actually receive their absentee ballot, they will definitely have to make the 35 mile round trip to drop it off at the ONE drop box in the county.

This just so outrageous that I am :angryfire
Send an email or tweet or something to Frank LaRose, Jon Husted and Mike DeWine. DeWine doesn't respond to FB posts. I don't know about the others. Does the zip code that hasn't gotten theirs have a reporter at the briefings? Or from the county seat? Either way, have them look into it and report on it.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I finally received my ballot today Oct. 24, in Lehigh County PA. :scream:.

Not trusting the mail at this point. I live four miles from the County government building, so in the two of us go next week (each voter needs to deliver their own ballot).

Thank god we are retired and motivated.:40beers:

D

Deleted member 40371

I hear a lot of complaints here and elsewhere regarding voter suppression, making it difficult to vote, etc, the brunt of the complaints are against Republican-held states. However, New York seems to very problematic with its late beginning to early voting, long queues, and even poorly managed early voting. NY usually don't even have early voting, one would think Democrats would have made it easy for people to vote rather than make it very hard for people to vote before complaining about Republicans.

KCC

I hope the folks along the Louisiana and Florida panhandle coasts vote early. Looks like yet another storm is heading their way, although this one may not be full hurricane strength when it makes landfall and it should be completely gone by November 3. I just wouldn't want to take a chance on flooded roads, damaged buildings or the power being out. Same with fires in CA and snow(?) in other parts of the country, and of course the dreaded ***** (because masks are not required to vote in many places). Seems like there are way more "acts of god" this year vs. on previous election days. Be safe, everyone.

once_upon

My sister is insistent on voting in person on Nov 3rd. I wouldn't want to risk it living in Northern most part of Wisconsin. But it's her choice. I think she is one of those Trump voters, but then again who knows - I get mixed messages/vibes from her.

I just hope everyone votes.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I took someone to the BOE to vote today and there was a two hour wait. She hasn't voted since 2008, so that's one more anti-Trump voter who didn't vote in 2016. When I dropped her home, she asked me to check and see if her daughter is registered and said she would like to send her too. If I have to do it that way, I'll be happy to add as many as I can one at a time.

Barbara Manatee

The Supreme Court just ruled that Wisconsin cannot count mail-in ballots unless they are received on election day, not postmarked but actually received. If you plan to vote by mail, do it now, do not wait, whatever state you are in - the court is showing it's ass here.

Susan1

Newspeople keep saying ballots are "counted" early in Ohio. Ohio keeps saying they are not counted till polls close. They open the outside envelope and check to make sure everything is right. That's not counting what's inside the envelope. So I looked it up.

Ohio
Ohio Rev. Code § 3509.06
Processing may begin before the time for counting ballots. Exact timing not specified.Absentee ballots may be scanned prior to the election, but the count may not be disclosed prior to the closing of the polls.

I still don't know what it means. My ballot tracker says "Date Approved for Counting: 10/15/2020 Your ballot has been received and is being included in the election results." Has my vote been "counted"?

On election night, they have the counter, like 1% is in at 7 p.m., and then 5% at 8 p.m., etc. By 7:30 on election night, they would be starting with 50% is in if they have already counted 1.11M ballots (as of yesterday)?

It's gonna be a long week.
:rofl: < This does not look like ROFL. It looks like gritting your teeth and shaking your head back and forth in frustration.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm really happy not to be in a swing state and my county is extremely, reliably red (the state will go blue) so there hasn't been even a hint of any shenanigans here. I think something like 75% of us normally vote by mail, which includes the Republican majority, so it's only the few whining about election rigging 'cause Trump has them convinced voting by mail is bad and so they are absolutely determined to vote in person on election day. Well, they can have at it. It's not going to make a smidge of difference one way or the other. I'd like to hope, though, that the percentage of the red vote is a little bit smaller than last time as the more open-minded have wised up. We'll see!

FiveRinger

No Ballot Drop Boxes in Missouri

I was talking to my sister a little bit ago. She lives in CA, and was explaining to me about how they've always had mail in voting. We were watching Obama speak, and he was telling FL voters how to vote now. I hadn't heard anything about drop boxes here, so I looked it up. I was curious. I had already mailed my ballot in.

The excuse that MO is using is that having ballot boxes would confuse voters. Way to insult our intelligence. If I hadn't already voted to replace to current Secretary of State, reading this article would have prompted me to do so. It implies that Missourians aren't competent enough to read and retain instructions on how to complete and return a ballot. Republicans claim that we have enough sense to determine whether or not we need a mask, which is a life and death no-brainer if you ask me, one that I would beg for your interference with, mind you, to keep from getting and spreading *********, the whole reason for all of these extra hoops, but we don't have enough sense to know how to drop a ballot in a ballot box. Wow....

Susan1

Notes from DeWine's press conference today
Frank LaRose, Secretary of State on skype:

Record Breaking - 8M registered voters; back in March had a Ready for November Taskforce; 150K poll workers; absentee voting double; early voting triple; 61 point safety check list for election day; corporations donated PPE. 3.2M absentee ballot requests, (1.6M in 2016), 1.5M have been returned. Said "what are you waiting for". Should report disinformation and voter intimidation to your local board. Two "bad guys" in Cleveland are in court for voter intimidation. On election night, the count is unofficial so far. They have 10 days to count anything postmarked that Monday. Will report on outstanding ballots.

VGThuy

I hear a lot of complaints here and elsewhere regarding voter suppression, making it difficult to vote, etc, the brunt of the complaints are against Republican-held states. However, New York seems to very problematic with its late beginning to early voting, long queues, and even poorly managed early voting. NY usually don't even have early voting, one would think Democrats would have made it easy for people to vote rather than make it very hard for people to vote before complaining about Republicans.

Agreed to a point. We should all complain about suppression wherever we see it. To quote AOC, in New York, it isn’t about Democrat v. Republican so much as machine v. Outsider. Suppressing votes there benefits the machine. Democratic machines are a huge problem that needs to be addressed (as are Republican ones) with the suppression of voters and selective suppression in a more general senseZ

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Susan1- In OH the mail-in ballots are processed into the system just like the early voting ballots. But the state cannot release and tally the results until after the polls close on Tuesday. Since they already have the ballots set up to drop the numbers on election night after the polls close, this means a lot of information will be available much sooner than other states that have a delayed process for opening their mail-in ballots.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Once again when we find voter fraud, it's being committed by ... a Republican:

Btw, doing this is a felony. Lock her up!

Some excerpts from the article:
In Monte Sereno, the double-voting allegations against Rowena C. Turner, 71, came as the former teacher and marketing manager for several Silicon Valley technology companies seeks re-election to the city council she joined in 2016. She has lived in the small, upscale residential community in the South Bay since 1986.

Records from the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters office show she has been a registered voter in the county since at least 1990, when she changed her party affiliation from Democrat to Republican, and cast mail or absentee ballots in elections from 1992 through the upcoming Nov. 3 election.

However, in Josephine County, Oregon, where Turner in 1999 bought property in Grants Pass, elections records show she also registered to vote there that year, again as a Republican, as the state became the first in the country to conduct elections entirely by mail. She voted in more than a dozen Oregon elections from 2004 through the 2020 primary held there May 19.

The records from the two counties indicate Turner cast ballots in both states in five general and two primary elections in both places: The 2010, 2012 and 2014 general elections, the 2016 primary and general elections, the 2018 general and 2020 primary.

A Washington Post analysis in June found that with the center’s help, election officials in the vote-by-mail states of Oregon, Washington and Colorado identified only 372 possible cases of double voting or voting on behalf of dead people out of about 14.6 million votes cast in the 2016 and 2018 general elections.

Susan1

Local news -
Montgomery county, Ohio - 102,400 absentee ballots sent. 85,000 returned so far. 3,000 people voted in person yesterday.

91% of people 65+ voted by mail in 2016. (This was a different reporter, so I didn't notice if she was talking about Montgomery county, or Ohio or the whole country.)

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A problem with ballots in PA:
Potentially thousands of mail ballots requested by Butler County voters appear to be lost, a county official said Wednesday, and the U.S. Postal Service has been asked to immediately investigate what happened to them.
Apparently due to the volume of calls they are getting from voters who never received them, they believe the ballots went missing after they were mailed and have not been delivered by the USPS yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information