Voting: What’s Happening in your State

Spikefan

Starting a new thread where we can consolidate voting information based on our states since things keep changing. We can also keep track of postal changes here.

USPS will now stop moving mailboxes until after the election.
Mailbox Removal Halted

Missouri voting as of 8/15:
No early voting. In person 11/3 from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm.

Absentee Ballot for these reasons only:
1. Absence on Election Day from the jurisdiction of the election authority in which I am registered
2. Incapacity or confinement due to illness or physical disability, including caring for a person who is incapacitatedor confined due to illness or disability
3. Religious belief or practice
4. Employment as an election authority or by an election authority at a location other than my polling place
5. Incarceration, although I have retained all the necessary qualifications for voting
6. Certified participation in the address confidentiality program established under sections 589.660 to 589.681 because of safety concerns
7. I have contracted or am in an at-risk category for contracting or transmitting severe acute respiratory syndrome ******** 2, pursuant to Section 115.277.6, RSMo.
• Are 65 years of age or older
• Have serious heart conditions • Are immunocompromised • Have liver disease
At-risk voters are individuals who:
• Live in a long-term care facility lincensed under Chapter 198, RSMo. • Have chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma• Have chronic kidney disease and are undergoing dialysis
• Have diabetes
Absentee ballot can be dropped off at the election board and you can also vote in person at the election board on specific days.

Mail in Voting with no excuse. Must be notarized, can only be mailed not dropped off at the election board and you cannot surrender your ballot to vote in person on Election Day. You can request this up to 10/21 but I would not wait that long as the ballot must arrive at the election board, through the mail by 11/3 at 7 pm. There are no ballot drop boxes.

The ACLU does have a court case against MO over this so I will post if anything changes.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
West Virginia

Early voting
Begins - Oct 21
Ends - Oct 31

https://www.healthyvoting.org/west-virginia/

Official election website
Get details and deadlines for voting in your area

General election - Nov 3
Registration deadline
Oct 13
Absentee voter deadlines
Application by mail - Oct 28
Submission by mail - Nov 3
Submission in person - Nov 3

WV offered mail in ballots for the primaries. I'm assuming they will do the same, but the Post Office is removing machines and options which is really stupid of Trump as the state voted for him. There are a lot of elderly who do not have direct deposit SS checks and any delays are just stupid. Even Manchin who keeps a low profile has spoke up.

I voted online in the primary, but will early vote in person. It's pretty easy to do, especially if they offer voting on campus as they've done in the past. Early voting can take place any where it's offered. You do not have to use your assigned location.

Last edited:

annie720

Colorado has been a vote-by-mail state as long as I've lived here. Nothing has changed this year. I always use the drop box a mile from my house. From my local voting site:
-Ballots will be mailed starting October 9 to all active registered voters. (There is no requirement to apply for an absentee ballot in Colorado.) The races and questions are not yet known.
-Return Your Ballot: Send your voted ballot back by mail with paid postage or deliver it to any one of our ballot drop-off locations below by 7 p.m., Nov. 3. No postage is required to use a 24 hour ballot box.
-Track Your Ballot: Use our free Ballot Track to check the status of your ballot online, and to sign up to receive text, email or phone messages when your ballot has been mailed to you and received by Arapahoe County Elections.-

-BALLOT BOXES OPEN OCT. 9- NOV. 3, 7 P.M.

Spikefan

I decided to share the MO info on other platforms and someone tried arguing with me that you can drop off your mail in ballot. They sent me the St.Louis County application link which has Absentee and Mail-In on the same application making it appear to be the same thing. The check box says:
____ MAIL-IN BALLOT REQUEST
This form for a mail-in ballot must be delivered by U.S. mail or in person to the St. Louis County Board of Election Commissioners, 725 Northwest Plaza, St. Ann, MO 63074. A mail-in ballot will only be accepted by the St. Louis County Board of Election Commissioners through the U.S. mail.
I had to point out the form to apply can be dropped off but the actual ballot must be mailed. So many people are going to be confused by this (obviously done on purpose). People will try to drop off their ballots on 10/31, 11/2, 11/3 only to be turned away and there is no way it will arrive in time by mail.

Thankfully my county has the applications separate (Absentee and Mail In) and specifically spells out it must be delivered by the post office and you cannot relinquish it to vote in person.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I don't think CA has absentee vs. mail-in. It's all mail-in. I will check.

Also, there is this website to look up your state:

If you type "how to vote" into Google, it gives you this page, which has the summaries for each state. Just pick your state from the dropdown.

MacMadame

Staying at home
California's rules:

Vote in person
Vote on election day
All registered voters in California will receive a ballot by mail. However, in-person voting locations will be available to voters. Polling locations may be found online by visiting the Secretary of State's My Voter Status tool.

Vote early
California voters can also vote before Election Day. The early voting period runs from Monday, October 5, 2020 to Monday, November 2, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live. Early voting and vote-by-mail ballot drop off locations may be found on the Secretary of State's Early Voting website.

What to bring
  • If you've voted in California before, you don't need to show ID.
  • If you're a first-time voter who registered by mail, and didn't include your driver's license number, California ID number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on your registration, you may be asked to provide ID when you vote. Acceptable forms include: copy of a recent utility bill, the sample ballot booklet you received from your county elections office or another document sent to you by a government agency, a US passport, driver license, official state identification card, or student identification card showing your name and photograph.
  • Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot.
Vote by mail
All registered voters will be sent a vote-by-mail ballot for the November 3, 2020 General Election. Registered voters do not have to apply for a vote-by-mail ballot for this election.

1. Fill out your ballot
  2. After you have voted, insert your ballot in the envelope provided, making sure you complete all required information on the envelope.
  3. You may return your voted ballot by mail, in person, or to a drop box
    • If you are returning your ballot by mail, it must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by your county elections office no later than 17 days after Election Day.
    • If you are returning your ballot in person or dropping it in a drop box, it must be delivered no later than the close of polls at 8:00 p.m. on November 3rd.
    • Anyone may return your ballot for you, as long as they do not get paid on a per ballot basis. In order for your ballot to be counted, you must fill out the authorization section found on the outside of your ballot envelope.
Election Day registration
California does offer registration on Election Day.

There is more but you get the idea...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I am in California. We will probably just "think" our votes. We are a little loosey-goosey out here on the left coast.

However, it is comforting to know what the result will be. Funny our flag is red and white.....should be blue and white. And just for extra fun, the grizzly bear is walking to the left.

I have no idea how voting will actually happen here.
Generally:

What to bring
  • If you've voted in California before, you don't need to show ID. How do they know YOU (the person in front of them is the YOU who voted before?)
  • If you're a first-time voter who registered by mail, and didn't include your driver's license number, California ID number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on your registration, you may be asked to provide ID when you vote. Acceptable forms include: copy of a recent utility bill, the sample ballot booklet you received from your county elections office or another document sent to you by a government agency, a US passport, driver license, official state identification card, or student identification card showing your name and photograph.
  • Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot. (Would love to know who follows up on and certifies those and how quickly)
And CA AB60 allows illegal immigrants (aka undocumented workers) can apply for (without ID) and get a drivers' license, which, of course, allows them to vote.

All that aside, I have no idea how the voting will actually work. Where the polling places will be. Who will be the people who work at the voting place who are usually lovely elderly people who volunteer?

If there are voting machines, will they be wiped down between each voter? Will they take your temp as you enter? How will they check the photo ID if you have a mask on?

Given all the questions and issues that have not worked out, I just don't see a path to an election that is accurate and equitable. And just FYI I don't have a dog in this fight, or a person or platform I would endorse. Biden and Harris would usually have town hall meetings, go to fairs, meet people, kiss babies, etc. They can't do any of that. They are off to a great start, but I don't think making an announcement (i.e. Federally mandated masks) and taking no questions is a sustainable path.

And look at the state of the country right now? People are calling looting and mayhem "reparations".
People are scared and angry. I kind of think we are all out of our minds...........at least a little.

Having the election right now would be a bit like the GP Series. I wish we could all take a deep breath, and figure out something to do that makes some sense. Oh - and I wish people could discuss problems and solutions rather than spewing hate at people. It is not helpful.

Oh, and silly me. I forgot we have rolling blackouts here. Meaning the electric companies (PG&E, SCE, etc) are turning off the electricity to conserve energy resources. That is not so bad, but it includes not only the electricity in your home but the traffic lights, cash registers in stores, etc.

And worst of all are the fires.

What fires are currently burning in California?
Active Incidents
  • Apple Fire. 33424 acres and 70% contained as of 7:30pm.
  • Hog Fire. 9564 acres and 98% contained as of 8/09/2020.
  • Stagecoach Fire. 7760 acres and 98% contained as of 7:27pm.
  • Lake Fire. 6000 acres and 0% contained as of 7:34pm.
  • Elsmere Fire. ...
  • Carrizo Fire. ...
  • Post Fire. ...
  • Dam Fire.
And, it is not even fire season!

Last edited:

Peaches LaTour

The mail-in ballot drop box at our local library has suddenly been removed. 🤤

Drove by the library today & there is a big sign where the drop box used to be: it is temporarily unavailable for maintenance but will be ready to receive ballots very soon. WHEW!!!!

Also, heard on our local news that our state has been inundated with out of state calls, asking about our successful, mail-in voting system. 😙

Susan1

Columbus Dispatch -

Apparently absentee ballot applications will go out to every registered voter (and every dog with a valid Ohio license hardeharhar) around Labor Day. Why can't they just do that right now. It better get here fast.

I filled out a piece of paper with the information on the absentee ballot for the primary because I don't have a printer to print the one on the website and the library was closed and then I physically took the request to the post office and had it postmarked.

Side note - 2013 - https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-mailing-postmark-ends/YP4gsri2c0wF6PwubaNH5K/

The BOE in Dayton is 9 miles away, but the application and the ballot will go to Columbus first.

Miamisburg/Dayton mail goes to the Columbus post office (90 miles away), then has to come back to my lawn service in Miamisburg, a 4 mile drive for me. (They are just a local company so they charge extra if you put it on a credit card, and you can't do it online or by the phone, so I mail it.) I take the Miamisburg water bill payment in person because after it goes to Columbus, it goes to a bill processing center in Cincinnati. I don't trust my city's online payment thing. I almost don't trust the drop box in the Civic Center lobby either. I got an actual "how are you doing" card from a friend I used to run into at this Kroger all the time before the c.v. and I still email with who lives 6 minutes away with a Columbus postmark on it the other day.

As of now, they won't put any more drop boxes anywhere. There is one in front of the BOE in downtown Dayton for the whole county. I'm not going to hope they change that. What if they say yes, we'll put ballot boxes out a week before, and then they don't and people didn't mail theirs in. Sucks.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Here's something brought to my attention today on our local NPR station. It was suggested that you take your ballot to the local post office to have them hand stamp the cancellation on it if it's convenient and it counts in your state. Apparently there has been an increase in the amount of mail moving through the system without being postmarked. I don't know if this is only where I live or some kind of systemic problem nationwide. However, my sister who lives in one of the suburbs south of me mailed me two items last month and each arrived the next day but neither one of them arrived with a postmark.

We plan to skip the mail in ballot this year and instead will do the advance voting in person at the county's board of elections office.

Susan1

Here's something brought to my attention today on our local NPR station. It was suggested that you take your ballot to the local post office to have them hand stamp the cancellation on it if it's convenient and it counts in your state.

I read that on the Ohio site when I did my absentee ballot for the primary. They had the plexiglass by then and I slid it across the counter and watched him hand cancel it and put it in the bin. It also says - "If you use a postage label purchased at a USPS customer service window or vending machine, the date on the label is the postmark. This is the USPS-recommended way to postmark your ballot."

KCC

Idaho had mail-in voting for a long while and it always seemed to work pretty well. At the beginning of each year, I sign up online to vote by mail in all elections, so all ballots come to my house. I fill them out, sign and drop them in the drop box at elections headquarters, mostly because it is not really inconvenient and I haven't taken the time to call & ask how much postage to add (lame excuse, I know).

Anyway, we have elections for the local school board on 8/25. I opened my ballot envelope and there was some info was missing, including the date of this election and a line that said to add postage of $___. So I went online and found out that there was some kind of misprint in the envelopes and they had to resend them. I got my new ballot today (8/21) that is due back by 8/25. I sure hope they don't pull this crap again in November.

once_upon

since there is one poster who is insist that he can't remove his name from rolls, I thought I would check my status through the https://www.vote.org/ site to see if I was registered in the county where we lived for 43 years and our current county. Especially since I didn't do anything that I was aware of to remove my name.

Only registered in my current county.

attyfan

I'm in Southern California -- Ventura. I usually vote in person ... with the same people staffing it for years ... so I never have to show ID (they know me by now). This year, however, all registered voters can vote by mail. Since I live across the street from the government center, my husband and I will probably drop off our ballots at the drop box on one of our evening walks.

once_upon

Since this is the first general election since we moved here and the voting site is the downtown public library with extremely limited parking, we are voting by mail (or in reality probably the drop box). It certainly isn't easy to vote in person.

KCC

Update from my last message: The new ballot says the election is now on 9/1 instead of 8/25, so that gives folks a little extra time to get the new ballots and turn them around. There are 3 people running for the school board and two will be elected, but nowhere does it say how many to vote for - they are usually very explicit, even if we vote for only one person. Bigger elections get more attention, resources and oversight than these little ones for school board positions, so I expect November to go more smoothly.

MacMadame

Staying at home
This is the real problem with mail-in voting, not voter fraud. Be sure to check your ballot before you mail it and also follow it's progress online:

ETA and this is why I put my ballot into a dropbox:

Barbara Manatee

Slate has posted a helpful guide to voting in each state. Things are going to be different this year - even regular voters need to check in with their state to see what's up.
The Best Way to Vote in Every State
An extremely comprehensive guide to making sure your ballot gets counted, no matter where in America you live.

This guide is designed to help Americans vote—and make sure their ballots are actually counted. It is written for voters who are understandably worried that their vote might not be counted due to the vagaries of mail delivery and state election laws. And it assumes that voters will prefer to minimize their exposure to other individuals during a *********. Our chief goal is to recommend the safest, easiest, most reliable voting options in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
I'm going to post this on my SM to help spread the word.

clairecloutier

Icetalavista

I just signed up to be an election judge. I have mixed feelings. I want to help with getting out the vote, but this seems a bit like the passive way to do it. My theory is that the older volunteers who often serve might be fearful of contacting ****, so I’m a replacement for one of them. But a friend whose daughter is in her 20s tells me that getting out the vote among people in their teens and twenties is the most effective way to GOTV. The question is, what is the best way to do that? I’ll see if I can volunteer at the library for early voting as well. I am VERY nervous about turnout in the pres election.

Susan1

Ohioans - I just got my absentee ballot request in the mail. I will fill it out and take it back to the post office (postage required) as soon as I take a shower. (I'm going to cross post this.)

ballettmaus

On Friday, Virginia passed a law making absentee voting easier. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...50f55a-e7cf-11ea-97e0-94d2e46e759b_story.html

Each measure would set aside $2 million for prepaid postage on mail-in ballots and instruct registrars to allow voters to correct ballot errors that might keep an absentee vote from being counted. The bills also would remove the requirement for a witness to certify a ballot signature and mandate drop boxes at voting precincts as an alternative to putting absentee ballots in the mail.

once_upon

Trump told voters in NC (i think that was the state) that they should request a mail in ballot and go to the polls voting person to make sure their votes count

Susan1

They've mentioned on the local news all week to look for your absentee ballot request in the mail. And I just turned on CNN and caught the end of a report from Ohio. They specifically said the Republican Secretary of State is sending absentee ballot requests to all registered voters. (so there, trump) 8-P

I'll wait till next week to track it. It has to go all the way to Columbus and back to Dayton, over a holiday weekend. It even has a tracking number on it, which amazingly I remembered to write down before I mailed it back. I wrote my information on a piece of paper to request the primary ballot, so I didn't have a number, but all I had to do was put my name in the tracker on the website anyway. Actual absentee ballots don't go out till October.

gkelly

I just made an online request to be sent a paper ballot to return by mail.

My state recommends making the request online. They will send out all requested ballots by mail and we must return them by mail or in a drop box.

The online request specified that it was for the 2020 Presidential Election ballot. The request process itself did not say anything specific about other races. The page on the website about rumors did address a question about whether you would receive the same ballot in the mail that you would get in person by mentioning that it would be sent depending on where you live, so I'm assuming that refers to which downticket races would be included.

Susan1

I just made an online request to be sent a paper ballot to return by mail.

My state recommends making the request online. They will send out all requested ballots by mail and we must return them by mail or in a drop box.

The online request specified that it was for the 2020 Presidential Election ballot. The request process itself did not say anything specific about other races. The page on the website about rumors did address a question about whether you would receive the same ballot in the mail that you would get in person by mentioning that it would be sent depending on where you live, so I'm assuming that refers to which downticket races would be included.
We can't. I wish I could have done it online in the primary. The only way "online" is to print a copy of the form and mail it back. I couldn't even do that because I don't have a printer and the libraries were closed by then.

At least we all got absentee ballot requests in the mail this time.

Dobre

Oregon will be voting by mail, per usual. There will probably be an announcement that comes out as we near the election, telling voters when the last day is that votes can be mailed & guaranteed to arrive on time. The target deadline from this announcement was moved up a bit for the spring primary, just to be on the safe side, because it was in the middle of the Stay-at-Home order so deliveries were a bit less reliable than normal. I would guess that is still true after the news about post office cuts so we'll probably get another early heads-up announcement. I missed the mail-in deadline last time so I just dropped my ballot in the voter drop box. (My post office & drop box are all of two blocks from each other so I use whatever is easiest). Here is an article with more details about Oregon's system:

Mail-in voting lessons from Oregon, the state with the longest history of voting by mail

I thought this was interesting:
"If the signatures don’t match, the voter is notified by mail, and given the opportunity to correct or explain the discrepancy. Of course, such corrections take time, so this is a good reason for voters who are casting their ballots by mail to send in their votes early."

This is cool. I did not know they would let us know if our signatures didn't match. When I first registered to vote, I used a particular signature. Later I lived in WA for a few years, then moved back to Oregon & re-registered when I obtained my updated Oregon driver's license. I signed my name in a simpler way that time, on purpose; but the last time I voted in a very close election, I did worry a bit that maybe the old signature might accidentally be used for comparison. Nope. All should be good.

I plan to vote early. A lot of times I dawdle because I put off researching the ballot measures and/or researching people running for local or lesser known offices. This time, I pledge to do my research the first weekend that we have our ballots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information