Vaccine passports discussion

Miezekatze

I don't think it's fair for those who cannot take the vaccine because they are allergic to the ingredients, have been gravely ill after vaccination, etc. They should be able to do everything a vaccinated person can do, knowing that they are more at risk of getting sick.

I'm sure there will be exemptions for those people. They'll need a medical waiver from their doctor and that's it.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't think it's fair for those who cannot take the vaccine because they are allergic to the ingredients, have been gravely ill after vaccination, etc. They should be able to do everything a vaccinated person can do, knowing that they are more at risk of getting sick. They should not be a threat to vaccinated people, so vaccinated people should not have to worry about being around unvaccinated people. Just like the flu shot. Do people who have taken the flu shot worry about those who didn't have the flu shot? No.
I think it is too soon to set up a system.
People should who have allergies, etc, could and should be exempt from taking the vaccine.

Flu is in a different category. Number of flue deaths from the flu last year just topped 42,000. That is a horrid number. Before you hang out with people who have not had a flu shot you should know that people are courageous two days before they see symptoms. I think polio is a comparison that is more on point.

However I think it is too soon to exempt people. I like idea of a vaccination card.

At two months of age a baby is supposed to get shots to cover polio, flu, and hepatitis, whooping
Cough and some other great things. In California unless you have a condition that would make you gravely or a religious objection you cannot enroll in school.

On a personal note I was not going to get vaccinated. I live alone and work from home so I figured the odds are my favor. Then my lovely daughter told me that I could not hug my grandsons if I was not vaccinated. I get my first shot next week👏

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Requiring vaccinations for public school attendance is a bit of a hot button issue for public health in Canada.

Up until now the thought has been that it further marginalizes an already marginalized group (children of anti-vaccinators).

I do wonder if CV will change the discourse or not.

I do hear more rumblings of requiring CV vaccine to attend public school in Canada now.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I agree, if you have an allergy, it's understandable. But if you are anti-vax, it's harder to be sympathetic.

Judy

I don't think it's fair for those who cannot take the vaccine because they are allergic to the ingredients, have been gravely ill after vaccination, etc. They should be able to do everything a vaccinated person can do, knowing that they are more at risk of getting sick. They should not be a threat to vaccinated people, so vaccinated people should not have to worry about being around unvaccinated people. Just like the flu shot. Do people who have taken the flu shot worry about those who didn't have the flu shot? No.
I am so sorry you experienced that. I think things will eventually settle down. Right now it’s an entire world that needs to be vaccinated. I personally don’t look ahead right now.

MsZem

Requiring vaccinations for public school attendance is a bit of a hot button issue for public health in Canada.

Up until now the thought has been that it further marginalizes an already marginalized group (children of anti-vaccinators).
I have no problem with stigmatizing people who refuse to get their children vaccinated. If they care about their children's physical, mental and emotional wellbeing, it's their responsibility to get them the vaccinations they need.

It's too bad for the kids, but it's much worse for immunocompromised children to be forced to attend school with those who might put their lives at risk, or for parents with medical issues to have to worry about what their kids could bring home.

skategal

Bunny mama
I have no problem with stigmatizing people who refuse to get their children vaccinated. If they care about their children's physical, mental and emotional wellbeing, it's their responsibility to get them the vaccinations they need.

It's too bad for the kids, but it's much worse for immunocompromised children to be forced to attend school with those who might put their lives at risk, or for parents with medical issues to have to worry about what their kids could bring home.
The view from most Public Health people has been that if the kids of anti-vaxxers remain in school, there is an opportunity to break the cycle of anti-vaccination (and other potential extreme views) as the child will be taking in information from other sources besides just the parents.

Also, they think that if accept that withholding vaccinations from children is a form of mistreatment/abuse, being in school allows another set of eyes on the child who are mandated to report other forms of abuse.

I can see both sides of the argument.

I don't know what the answers are.

I'm glad I don't have to decide as kids are hurt either way.

PRlady

I agree, if you have an allergy, it's understandable. But if you are anti-vax, it's harder to be sympathetic.
I got my second shot yesterday and feel dreadful today - fever, chills, fatigue, fogginess and the worst sore arm ever. It certainly tells me how awful the actual disease could be.

I’m in favor of airlines, universities and countries requiring vaccination to enter. The number of people with real vaccine allergy is tiny - I’m allergic to at least six medications and could still get the shot. We are planning to visit Israel in May; the country will be largely vaccinated and so will we and my husband hasn’t seen his family since last March.

If people want to reject the vaccine apart from the small number who can’t take it, that’s their choice. I don’t want to sit next to them on an airplane if they’re not taking the simple step of guarding others’ safety, once the vaccine is widely available.

once_upon

Vaccinated
I got my second shot yesterday and feel dreadful today - fever, chills, fatigue, fogginess and the worst sore arm ever. It certainly tells me how awful the actual disease could be.

I’m in favor of airlines, universities and countries requiring vaccination to enter. The number of people with real vaccine allergy is tiny - I’m allergic to at least six medications and could still get the shot. We are planning to visit Israel in May; the country will be largely vaccinated and so will we and my husband hasn’t seen his family since last March.

If people want to reject the vaccine apart from the small number who can’t take it, that’s their choice. I don’t want to sit next to them on an airplane if they’re not taking the simple step of guarding others’ safety, once the vaccine is widely available.
Which vaccine did you get? I'm allergic to a couple of meds, also breakout in hives for unknown reasons, and have been concerned about the Pfizer one.

acraven

I'm getting Moderna #2 on Friday and will post about the resulting side-effects afterward. I do expect some; I often have a bit of a fever after other vaccinations, though I just had a slightly sore arm after Moderna #1.

mikey

...an acquired taste
I'm getting Moderna #2 on Friday and will post about the resulting side-effects afterward. I do expect some; I often have a bit of a fever after other vaccinations, though I just had a slightly sore arm after Moderna #1.
After Moderna #2, almost everyone I work with got a few more symptoms than after the first one- the arm soreness was about the same, but more chills and aches. But across the board it was only for 24 hours or less and certainly worth it.

PRlady

Which vaccine did you get? I'm allergic to a couple of meds, also breakout in hives for unknown reasons, and have been concerned about the Pfizer one.
Moderna. I had no hives or shortness of breath, which I even get from Prednisone! - just the “normal “ results. Which are bad enough. I don’t usually get anything worse than mild sinus headaches and boy am I sorry for all you with migraines.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Question for people who got their second shots. How long after the shot did you start to feel the effects? One of my neighbors is planning to go to a vaccination location in the city with her husband. Her appointment is mid morning and his is mid afternoon. She was planning to wait in the city so they could come home together, but now she's afraid she'll get sick while she's in the city. From the people I've talked to, it was usually at least that night or the next day that they felt the worst, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone had their "flu-y" reaction very soon after the shot.

ballettmaus

^My parents and a couple of my mom's colleagues all felt the effects the day after. My granddad was fine on the same day, too. I don't know if he had some effects the day after. (They all had the Pfizer vaccine).

acraven

@Garden Kitty , I got my second Moderna vaccination at about 2:15 PM. I didn't have anything to complain about until the next day (very, very sore arm when touched), though I guess I'd have felt something if I'd pressed on the injection site.

I asked the person giving me the shot about the timing of any possible side effects since I wanted to do some grocery shopping before starting the 2-mile walk home. She said it would probably take at least 8 hours before side effects hit. I was very pleased that I didn't even wake up during the night. I never developed the body aches or fever I was expecting, but I gather the side effects can be more intense in younger folks.

From my experience, I think your neighbor will be fine.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Thanks @acraven and @ballettmaus My neighbor tends to overthink some things and she was getting nervous about all her options for getting home from the city. I think she'll do much better waiting for her husband.

ballettmaus

@Garden Kitty I should have added that my parents and granddad were simply very tired (like they were coming down with a cold). One of my mom's colleague had a mild headache but she has migraines. The other had chills and felt sick.

If you neighbor wants to be on the safe side, suggest she take a Tylenol with her. That is what they recommend here that you take. (For whatever reason, they said no Advil).

AxelAnnie

Question for people who got their second shots. How long after the shot did you start to feel the effects? One of my neighbors is planning to go to a vaccination location in the city with her husband. Her appointment is mid morning and his is mid afternoon. She was planning to wait in the city so they could come home together, but now she's afraid she'll get sick while she's in the city. From the people I've talked to, it was usually at least that night or the next day that they felt the worst, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone had their "flu-y" reaction very soon after the shot.
My daughter had her second shot, and could barely keep her eyes open to drive home.

How far do they have to drive? Maybe they want to UBER back and forth, or be really safe and go on different days.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Thanks @AxelAnnie They'll either drive or take the commuter train. Changing the appointments would be hard, but I can suggest they take the number for a car service in case she wants to use it (Uber would be too much for them!)

Lizziebeth

My SO is up in years and had no reaction whatsoever to either shot, except a little bit of sore arm with the first. I have had both shots and had no reaction or even a sore arm with either one. I will note that neither of us has ever reacted to any other immunization either. Reactions must vary quite a bit for these shots. I have friends that really felt sick or had a really sore arm and others that were like me and had no reaction at all.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
@Garden Kitty I should have added that my parents and granddad were simply very tired (like they were coming down with a cold). One of my mom's colleague had a mild headache but she has migraines. The other had chills and felt sick.

If you neighbor wants to be on the safe side, suggest she take a Tylenol with her. That is what they recommend here that you take. (For whatever reason, they said no Advil).
Actually the CDC and others recommending you dont take advil or tylenol https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/****...-a-painkiller-before-your-*********-vaccine#1

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I know people are impatient to get vaccinated, but complaining about it won't speed up the process. I'm surprised Meghan McCain felt so entitled to share that she's "someone important" and yet shared that while she's a cohost of the View, she still has no information on when it's her turn. People like her makes me sick.

MsZem

I know people are impatient to get vaccinated, but complaining about it won't speed up the process. I'm surprised Meghan McCain felt so entitled to share that she's "someone important" and yet shared that while she's a cohost of the View, she still has no information on when it's her turn. People like her makes me sick.
She was talking about the confusing messaging. I think - and recognize this may be a generous interpretation - that she meant even someone who is high profile and has access to information can't figure out what to expect in terms of the vaccine rollout and when her turn will come based on age and health factors.

AxelAnnie

California's distribution is really screwed up. My sister had her appt canceled. Charming.
Would have been a lot simpler if they just went by age as Connecticut did.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
My vax site sent me an email that included instructions for downloading my official vaccination record. It doesn’t work! Unless and until everyone has access to official records, passports probably wouldn’t work in the US.

Miezekatze

My vax site sent me an email that included instructions for downloading my official vaccination record. It doesn’t work! Unless and until everyone has access to official records, passports probably wouldn’t work in the US.
How does this work with flu shots? I read they are mandatory in some places in the US?

I'd certainly want an official document regardless of what it is.

What if you have to go for a refreshing shot and you've forgotten when you got your original shot and what it was?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information