US Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retiring

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Ratings
Apologies if this has been posted already (didn't see it previously between all the becca hijacks), but as long as the topic is back to frightened men ...

*** Woman sings musical parody of 'Scary time for boys' in wake of Kavanaugh confirmation :
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/woman-sings-musical-parody-scary-time-boys-wake/story?id=58390062
"I can’t walk to my car late at night while on the phone
I can’t open up my windows when i’m home alone
I can’t go to a bar without a chaperone
And I can’t wear a mini skirt if its the only one I own"
“But it sure is a scary time for boys. Yeah gentlemen, band together make some noise. It’s really tough when your reputations on the line and any woman you’ve assaulted could turn up any time.”
"Oh wait
That’s right

It’s not such a scary time for boys
They’ve always had the upper hand,
They’ve always had a choice
It’s time for women to rise up,
Use our collective voice
The day to vote’s November 6,
So let’s go make some noise"

Japanfan

Ratings
For the record abortion won’t change until hearts and minds change most of us pro lifers get that
Abortion has been practiced for a very long time, Becca. The only way it will change is if all pregnant women want to have the baby, have the resources needed to support the baby, including social supports.

becca

Ratings
First of all. I went literally to another country to attend my father's wedding. I told his wife, welcome to the family. And meant it. All I said is Dad you right now really aren't free to marry. I am Catholic and I believe marriage is permanent. I love you and I frankly think if you applied for an annullemnt you would get one. I was told by my Priest I could go but not be a bridesmaid.

So I went to the wedding and I have a good relationship with his wife.

Once again, though Christ never talked about Gay marriage. He spoke about Divorce though. He said he hates it. He said remarriage was adultery. While it is a hard teaching, I actually strongly believe marriage is for life and I think divorce is a terrible thing for our society.

Personally I think it would be hypocritical for me to say gay marriage wrong, but say divorce/ remarriage aokay?

Once again, I attended the wedding. Told my Dad I loved him. And has treated his wife like family. I accept his life choices.

Recently he asked me about annullments because his wife would like one so their marriage could be blessed in the church. I encouraged him to get one. Even though my mother hates the idea. Why because guess what I do love my Father and I would like for his marriage to be made a sacrament.

And you know what I quietly told my Father my opinion once.

Loving someone isn’t agreeing with all they do.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Ratings
But still does not negate the fact that some women do NOT ever want kids. 🤔
Then, there are women who want them but are not in a situation that supports them to raise and care for a child.

I'm quite sure the percentage of women who are in such a situation and choose to have an abortion is high - and some of those probably make the decision because the man they got pregnant with wants nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

becca

Ratings
You think forcing people to stay in abusive and/or toxic relationships is good for society?
No. There are times when divorce is necessary. If it is abusive. But I know a lot of cases where people took the vows seriously and worked on the marriage.
Marriage can be hard. Love is a choice not always a feeling.

The point I was making is loving someone doesn’t mean you agree with all they do. In my case with my Dad.

And may I point out that my Dad is very anti gay marriage quick to use Scripture to back that one up and years ago was shocked when I felt my Uncle’s boyfriend should be welcomed into the family for family events. How can you of all people think this he said.

and my response is people in this family do all kinds of things that I disagree with like get divorced remarried and cohabitat and I still welcome their partners. Why is this any different.

He has mellowed out but I certainly think consistency in his case is kind of important.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Kavanaugh is in favor of keeping all immigrants with a criminal record in detention until their deportation regardless of how long ago their arrest was. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-jail-immigrants-20181010-story.html

This is ridiculous. How are they going to pay for that and where are they going to put them? They are already taking away huge chunks of money from other programs and/or agencies and don't have enough space.

becca

Ratings
Matthew 5:32. Luke 16:18 Mark 10:11.

Christ uses the words I hate divorce. To be honest in that’s position I think Jesus was answering the no fault divorced types not pastoral complicated situations. But it is serious and so I am married multiple times but gay marriage should be illegal is suspect. Christ was very hard on divorce.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Ratings
An interesting take from a lawyer re the Ford-Kavanaugh testimonies. This lawyer offers some interesting legal standpoint observations for how the Democrats were arguing their points of view while also trying to ask questions, which was counterproductive. Plus, the Dems were not skillful at follow-up questions in a way that might have tied down Kavanaugh, establishing his pattern of evasiveness and laying a foundation for ultimately catching him in outright falsehoods. Kavanaugh was able to skirt around stuff he wasn't effectively called on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUTDZDpdJFM

And Colbert's Kavanaugh-inspired beer commercial is spot-on parody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3bbc2-H-PA

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Ratings
No. There are times when divorce is necessary. If it is abusive. But I know a lot of cases where people took the vows seriously and worked on the marriage.
Marriage can be hard. Love is a choice not always a feeling.
You said you thought divorce was a terrible thing for our society. You didn't put caveats on it. You said flat you thought divorce was terrible. It's attitudes like yours that make some people stay in those abusive relationships or toxic relationships. Because even though you pay it lip service - oh if it's abusive it's necessary - the person who may need it will only hear you say how terrible it is. How much of a failure they are if they don't stay and take the vows seriously and work on the marriage. It's the classic mindset. Oh, it must be my fault, I'm not working hard enough on the marriage, if I worked harder on our marriage he wouldn't hit me, marriage is hard but divorce is terrible.

You know what else is terrible for society? Paedophile rapists, who are given positions of power and authority, and protected by a rich, evil mega-corporation that thinks it has the right to control women's bodies and preach morality to the world as they protect paedophiles.

snoopy

Ratings
First of all. I went literally to another country to attend my father's wedding. I told his wife, welcome to the family. And meant it. All I said is Dad you right now really aren't free to marry. I am Catholic and I believe marriage is permanent. I love you and I frankly think if you applied for an annullemnt you would get one. I was told by my Priest I could go but not be a bridesmaid.

So I went to the wedding and I have a good relationship with his wife.

Once again, though Christ never talked about Gay marriage. He spoke about Divorce though. He said he hates it. He said remarriage was adultery. While it is a hard teaching, I actually strongly believe marriage is for life and I think divorce is a terrible thing for our society.

Personally I think it would be hypocritical for me to say gay marriage wrong, but say divorce/ remarriage aokay?

Once again, I attended the wedding. Told my Dad I loved him. And has treated his wife like family. I accept his life choices.

Recently he asked me about annullments because his wife would like one so their marriage could be blessed in the church. I encouraged him to get one. Even though my mother hates the idea. Why because guess what I do love my Father and I would like for his marriage to be made a sacrament.

And you know what I quietly told my Father my opinion once.

Loving someone isn’t agreeing with all they do.
FWIW I don’t think the not singing at your dads wedding thing is hateful. Certainly not the most hateful thing I’ve ever heard.

Srsly, people in PI are so over the top it’s ridiculous. Really, this is the most hateful thing you’ve ever heard? Get a grip.

becca

Ratings
FWIW I don’t think the not singing at your dads wedding thing is hateful. Certainly not the most hateful thing I’ve ever heard.

Srsly, people in PI are so over the top it’s ridiculous. Really, this is the most hateful thing you’ve ever heard? Get a grip.
The point I was making is people you love do things you disagree. And love doesn't mean always agreeing. I don't think love is throwing people out of your families, or not welcoming people others care about. I'm not about that. But I also don't think love is saying you agree when you don't. I strive to find the balance.

Your right Miss Karne, from now on I will add in the caveat about divorce and I don't know individual situations. Many times one wants to work on it the other doesn't. But in general as a rule, I do think it's bad.

Can we talk about the Supreme Court. I want to see Kavanaugh's ruling before I freak out on immigration. It may be that particular case.

Honestly, I want to repeat my biggest concern is Democrats saying Presumption of Innocence doesn't matter. That bothers me immensely. I think it's very scary if you can take out a public figure for higher office, just with an accusation. With holes in their story. ( the witnesses she mentioned don't remember the party).

I feel strongly if the shoe where on the other foot, Democrats wouldn't be going with the whole Believe Women thing. And so it bothers me when people who say those of us who question this just don't care about assault.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Can we talk about the Supreme Court. I want to see Kavanaugh's ruling before I freak out on immigration. It may be that particular case.
He made a general statement, not a case specific one.

Honestly, I want to repeat my biggest concern is Democrats saying Presumption of Innocence doesn't matter.
No one said that. All that Democrats and people on this board have been saying is that this was not a trial so trial standard didn't apply. It was a job interview for the highest judicial position in the country.
People get fired from ordinary jobs for what they have been posting on their Facebook page or they don't get hired because someone in HR checks their Facebook page and they don't like what they see.

I think we have a right to have Supreme Court judges who are above reproach and suspicion.

I think it's very scary if you can take out a public figure for higher office, just with an accusation. With holes in their story. ( the witnesses she mentioned don't remember the party).
Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it more likely that someone will remember an insignificant party from 36 years ago. Take a moment to observe yourself. There are so, so many things that you don't remember because our brain is wired that way. It's a filter and everything that is deemed insignificant is put in a box, stored and forgotten. What reason would anyone have to remember an ordinary party from 36 years ago? It's just not in our nature to remember something that isn't important.

I feel strongly if the shoe where on the other foot, Democrats wouldn't be going with the whole Believe Women thing.
Again, Al Franken resigned - before any ethics nvestigations (that he asked for himself, by the way) yielded any results (and Susan Collins was one of the women who called on him to resign, I might add). Eric Schneiderman resigned as well, and very quickly.

Japanfan

Ratings
Honestly, I want to repeat my biggest concern is Democrats saying Presumption of Innocence doesn't matter. That bothers me immensely. I think it's very scary if you can take out a public figure for higher office, just with an accusation. With holes in their story. ( the witnesses she mentioned don't remember the party).
Which Democrat/Democrats said that? Source, please.

And as I'm sure you must know, Kavanaugh was not taken out, Becca.

Though many think he should have asked to recuse himself.

I feel strongly if the shoe where on the other foot, Democrats wouldn't be going with the whole Believe Women thing.
I think they would, if there were allegations against one of their candidates for sexual assault.

rfisher

Ratings
I mostly replied to caseyedwards and becca because I couldn't let posts that were either wrong legally-speaking or incomplete get past. I figured it would be good to provide a clearer picture of where the law actually stands for everyone else reading. They weren't just expressing their opinion, but they were spreading false information about the law and I didn't want people to think what they were saying was correct.
I'm reasonably confident nobody thinks they are correct

allezfred

Sekret Kanadian
Staff member
Ratings
When my Dad remarried and asked me to sing at his wedding, he didn’t call me a bigot when I said while I will happily attend I am sorry I can’t sing because you are not free to marry.
Isn’t attending the wedding the same as condoning the wedding though? Why would not singing make a difference? :confused:

quartz

not cool enough for a nickname
Ratings
And even my father, who calls me the child of satan, managed to not only come to my wedding, but played the organ and piano for the ceremony, even tho I was committing the horrendous sin of marrying a CATHOLIC!!!

Last edited:

puglover

Ratings
How hypocritical!! Does she not see her husband's damaging, hurtful tweets and comments about anyone who disagrees with him as bullying? I have said it before and I say it again - how can any intelligent person believe that sexual abuse victims should only be believed if they can "prove it". That is not to say all should be believed, but other factors need to be considered - like - Does she have anything to gain by coming forward?

becca

Ratings
Isn’t attending the wedding the same as condoning the wedding though? Why would not singing make a difference? :confused:
Because as the priest explained to me. Being a bridesmaid or a member of wedding party is saying I completely agree with everything to the whole world. Attending a wedding is supporting the couple and the relationship. And for the record, I didn't say anything at the wedding about my beliefs.

As for my father played even though I married a Catholic. My objection wasn't to the bride.

And for the record, I never ever said anything to the bride about my beliefs. Just to my father, because I didn't want her to feel like the objections were to her. Or that I wouldn't welcome her.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
@becca/bek, you really come across like the holier than thou pharisee in the temple at this point. Only even they probably listened to reasoned discussion better.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Back on track,

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...cs-complaints-against-justice-brett-kavanaugh

The dozen or so ethics complaints filed against Kavanaugh have been moved to another Circuit.

Also, it seems in the ACLU case regarding the indefinite detention of immigrants awaiting a hearing, Kavanaugh (after Gorsuch and Breyer pressed for more precise answers to their questions from the government attorney), also asked for more precise answers. I may not agree with Gorsuch's politics and will probably not like a lot of his decisions but from the reports I read, I think I like how he conducts himself as a Justice in oral argument.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
When you look at it objectively, you can find time and time again when Dems have pressured a fellow Democrat to resign, recuse themselves, or otherwise take themselves out of contention when such accusations have surfaces. The "worst" that happens is that the accused call for an investigation and some Dems say to wait for it to be over.

But sure, tell yourself we'd do the same as you did if it makes yourself feel better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)