US Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retiring

Buzz

Ratings
If the accusations by and testimony of Anita Hill couldn’t stop Clarence Thomas appointment to the US Supreme Court, this 35 year old accusation against Kavanaugh will do nothing either.

ballettmaus

Ratings
If the accusations by and testimony of Anita Hill couldn’t stop Clarence Thomas appointment to the US Supreme Court, this 35 year old accusation against Kavanaugh will do nothing either.
Maybe it will at least provide extra motivation for women to vote against the party who put an alleged sexual predator on the SC in November.

FiveRinger

Ratings
And the Senate Judiciary committee just happened to have had a list of 65 women who allegedly knew Kavanaugh in high school and say he never acted inappropriate at the ready. What a convenient coincidence.
https://twitter.com/senjudiciary/status/1040615293620572161
This does not surprise me.

I wonder if this was what Rachel Maddow was referring to when she stated on her show (last night or night before, my days run together) that some background information had been forwarded to the FBI and it was provided by Senator Diane Feinstein. If so, it means that if the FBI was aware and notified the WH, they had plenty of time to make those preparations. FBI background reports are done for all potential government employees, including judges.

ballettmaus

Ratings
This does not surprise me.

I wonder if this was what Rachel Maddow was referring to when she stated on her show (last night or night before, my days run together) that some background information had been forwarded to the FBI and it was provided by Senator Diane Feinstein. If so, it means that if the FBI was aware and notified the WH, they had plenty of time to make those preparations. FBI background reports are done for all potential government employees, including judges.
I don't think any of this matters. I think what matters is that Republicans knew and kept it from the public.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Feinstein knew first
It was a letter that contained an accusation. She had way of knowing if it was true or not. She referred the matter to the FBI to be investigated. Can you imagine what would have happened if she'd just released an accusing letter without having anything to back up the allegations? She would have been torn to shreds and no one would have taken the allegations seriously. They would have been viewed as a partisan fabrication and been dismissed.

Now, we don't know what the FBI found but it obviously worried the GOP enough to come to Kavanaugh's defense. (Even though it's really irrelevant if 65 women say he's nice. That one woman says he isn't and that is all that matters.)

once_upon

Ratings
Exactly. This accusation being from high school will not be taken seriously.

FiveRinger

Ratings
Fox News is reporting that the FBI will not be investigating the allegations against Kavanaugh. It's bad enough they force me to watch Fox News at work, but to have to watch this.......

ballettmaus

Ratings
@caseyedwards Another thought: how do you know that Feinstein knew first? We know she was handed that letter in July but who says that no one knew before? Trump had that list of possible judges for a while.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that she kept it under wraps even during the hearing. I understand why she referred the matter to the FBI and didn't make it public but I'm not sure what to think about how she handled it more recently. Yes, the letter was given to her in confidence but this is the Supreme Court we're talking about. Could she not have found a way to tip off the media so that they could dig into that direction or to let one of her colleagues know so that they could have pursued that angle?

ballettmaus

Ratings
Fox News is reporting that the FBI will not be investigating the allegations against Kavanaugh. It's bad enough they force me to watch Fox News at work, but to have to watch this.......
I wouldn't be surprised if true. The statute of limitations probably has passed already, and it's a he-said-she-said case.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Ratings
@caseyedwards Another thought: how do you know that Feinstein knew first? We know she was handed that letter in July but who says that no one knew before? Trump had that list of possible judges for a while.
I read the Ronan Farrow article. It had quotes from the woman's lawyer as well as a timeline. It said she sent letters to Anna Eshoo and Feinstein after a lot of thought and talk with friends after the nomination was announced.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news...ugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

Honestly, I not only don't expect this to derail the nomination but I don't think it should. Not by itself. A he-said, she-said situation among High School students? That was a long time ago and people deserve to leave behind the stupidity of their HS years. OTOH, I would hope that, if this is part of an on-going pattern, that other women will speak up who have experienced these sorts of things more recently. I.E., something he did as an adult. And, if that exists, I would hope it would derail the nomination.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
They did not have the 'Me too' movement back then.

Vash01

Ratings
And the admission of sexual assault did not keep Trump from winning the election. So I don't think this has any teeth.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
And the Senate Judiciary committee just happened to have had a list of 65 women who allegedly knew Kavanaugh in high school and say he never acted inappropriate at the ready. What a convenient coincidence.
https://twitter.com/senjudiciary/status/1040615293620572161
Doesn’t everyone have a letter in storage containing all the people vouching for one? As for the letter itself, I liken it to Jeffery Dahmer producing a letter from all the people he didn’t kill, dismember and store in a freezer.

clairecloutier

Ratings
This better be a credible allegation, or this is truly evil.
Well, it looks like it is quite credible (read link in post above).

The accuser is a respected professor, there is a documented history behind the allegation, and she has apparently passed a polygraph test.

I said there was something smarmy and untrustworthy about this guy ....

caseyedwards

Ratings
He'll be arrested about as soon as Trump will be impeached.

I believe the statute of limitations has passed, but that doesn't mean that the allegation should be pursued to weigh in on Kavanagh's fitness to be appointed to the SCOTUS.
Maryland has no statute of limitations anymore so he can be arrested. He needs to be in prison for his sexual assault.

If he is not arrested he needs to be impeached and removed from his current office as well. He’s a judge now. So that must end by impeachment and removal.

FiveRinger

Ratings
The article from WaPost is pretty damning. Sounds like both boys in the room were too drunk to remember anything. They don’t know what the f*** happened. They can’t even defend themselves. But the other receipts :wideeyes:

Unfortunately, I dont thing this is going to slow anything down. The Reps are hell-bent in getting a confirmation before the election, and unless there is some great miracle, the Dems might have to accept that. Who knows, maybe a couple of Reps with a conscience will insist on an investigation.

Vash01

Ratings
I think Kavanaugh can easily get out of the mess by saying he was a teeanager and he made a stupid mistake. He can say he realized his mistake and he has led an honest life since. Honesty may be his best resource.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)