US Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retiring

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Ratings
They are afraid of losing white privilege that they are very aware that they have.
White rich guys are very aware. But it's the crowd that asks, "Why do just black lives matter, don't all lives?" or, "What's up with gay rights? What about straight rights?"

aftershocks

Ratings
I don't always agree with Angela Rye's tone, but at least she speaks out. And this exchange on Don Lemon's show with a forthright and compassionate Republican and a more head-in-the-sand Republican, at least begins a dialogue whether or not it's sustained and melded into actual action. It is news as entertainment format after all. Will any dialogue be moved to constructive action and productive coming together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lP7qH1xoHA

Former Rep. David Jolly on racism: "Under Trump, we have moved from silence to permission...
I hate these conversations because it forces Republicans to confront a reality, which is President Trump is racist, whether that is a result of some type of financial elistism, whether it is from being born on third base through white privilege, or whether it is part of Steve Bannon's nationalism, this is why traditional Republicans struggle with Trump's [lack of] leadership. We can't forgive it. We can't normalize it. We can't suggest that he can be the figure of a party that we subscribe to. It's heartbreaking. It's not an easy conversation. It sucks..."

But think how more difficult the conversation is for the people who truly have suffered and who continue to suffer...

Last edited:

aftershocks

Ratings
The funny thing about it is that the so-called 'majority,' is in actuality the minority worldwide, and increasingly in the U.S. There are so many contradictions in a society built on faux manmade constructs that intentionally divide people for social and economic gain.

caseyedwards

Ratings
I don't always agree with Angela Rye's tone, but at least she speaks out. And this exchange on Don Lemon's show with a forthright and compassionate Republican and a more head-in-the-sand Republican, at least begins a dialogue whether or not it's sustained and melded into actual action. It is news as entertainment format after all. Will any dialogue be moved to constructive action and productive coming together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lP7qH1xoHA

Former Rep. David Jolly on racism: "Under Trump, we have moved from silence to permission...
I hate these conversations because it forces Republicans to confront a reality, which is President Trump is racist, whether that is a result of some type of financial elistism, whether it is from being born on third base through white privilege, or whether it is part of Steve Bannon's nationalism, this is why traditional Republicans struggle with Trump's [lack of] leadership. We can't forgive it. We can't normalize it. We can't suggest that he can be the figure of a party that we subscribe to. It's heartbreaking. It's not an easy conversation. It sucks..."

But think how more difficult the conversation is for the people who truly have suffered and who continue to suffer...
The problem is there were few more racist presidents than Ronald reagan. It wasn’t racist to campaign in Philadelphia Mississippi on states rights? Create the black welfare queen cliche?

ballettmaus

Ratings
Kavanaugh suggested in 1999 that the decision that Nixon must turn over the tapes may have been wrong. https://apnews.com/3ea406469d344dd8...ourt-nominee-gets-started-answering-questions

Maybe we can move away from the "oh, he was close to the Bush family and he's a constitutionalist and he's not going to be so bad" and learn from what happened with Trump?
This man gives a strong impression that he believes that the President is above the law. Trump specifically asked for that during the interview. It looks bad, so it likely is bad.

caseyedwards

Ratings
Kavanaugh suggested in 1999 that the decision that Nixon must turn over the tapes may have been wrong. https://apnews.com/3ea406469d344dd8...ourt-nominee-gets-started-answering-questions

Maybe we can move away from the "oh, he was close to the Bush family and he's a constitutionalist and he's not going to be so bad" and learn from what happened with Trump?
This man gives a strong impression that he believes that the President is above the law. Trump specifically asked for that during the interview. It looks bad, so it likely is bad.
I agree with Kavanaugh. If the president is a criminal he should be impeached and removed before the criminal justice system can Be used against him. I don’t agree with say the president being indicted, tried and imprisoned and then impeached and removed.

attyfan

Ratings
IMO, criminal justice proceedings should precede impeachment, not vice versa. Pre-trial publicity about impeachment could affect the fairness of a later criminal trial. Evidence can be used in impeachment that would not be admissible in a criminal trial. Kavanaugh's order of events could cost an impeached president any chance of a fair trial.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Ratings
IMO, criminal justice proceedings should precede impeachment, not vice versa. Pre-trial publicity about impeachment could affect the fairness of a later criminal trial. Evidence can be used in impeachment that would not be admissible in a criminal trial. Kavanaugh's order of events could cost an impeached president any chance of a fair trial.
I think it's a moot point, because if they're removed from office their successor will almost certainly pardon them.

ballettmaus

Ratings
I don't really care which comes first, impeachment or a trial. I think a President should not be above the law. If he commits a crime, he needs to be held accountable like every other criminal. Period.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
I care what comes first because I rather not a criminal trial/hearing be postponed due the failure of members of Congress to act because they have political pressures and personal reasons to not pursue impeachment even in the face of serious criminal allegations. That's how little faith I have in our legislature right now...and executive branch and our judiciary but that's another story.

attyfan

Ratings
I don't really care which comes first, impeachment or a trial. I think a President should not be above the law. If he commits a crime, he needs to be held accountable like every other criminal. Period.
I care what comes first because the President should have the same rights as any other criminal defendant to have the question of guilt or innocence decided in a fair trial, based on evidence presented in court. Impeaching first is likely to make that impossible.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Kavanaugh isn't arguing which should come first. He's arguing that a President should only be impeached. In light of that, I really don't care which comes first because all that matters to me is that a President is not above the law. Once that has been established, we can worry about which should come first. But when a judge argues that a President should be above the law the order of events (impeachment and indicment) aren't really a priority for me.

ballettmaus

Ratings
Kavanaugh wanted Starr to ask Clinton graphic questions and should only be given a break if he resigned or confessed to perjury. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...2e98c13528d_story.html?utm_term=.2bfa2a1419ee

I find the question highly inappropriate. Their only purpose seems to be to humiliate Clinton. Makes me wonder if Kavanaugh gets off on that.
He also needs to brush up on Nixon and the definition of hypocrisy. If he thought that Clinton should not have been given a break, he should have told Trump to go to hell when he was offered the SC position.

And that's only one memo. No wonder Republicans want to keep most of the documents under wraps.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

Ratings
I am watching the hearings live. Kavanaugh should have been a politician (not). He doesn't answer direct questions. An ultimate bullsh*tter. Not impressed.

clairecloutier

Ratings
Apparently everything is a "hypothetical" question to him and therefore unanswerable.

What a farce these hearings are, and what a tool he is personally. There's something seriously smarmy and untrustworthy about him. :mad:

ilovepaydays

Ratings
After Bork said how he would rule in hypothetical cases and was rejected no one has done it since!!
Since the 1990s, none of these SCOTUS nominees have had substantitive hearings. Basically all give the same standard non-answers. And really, how often is it that a Senator actually changes their vote based on the hearing?

IMHO, both sides just use the kabuki theatre to excite their base - and fundraise mega $$$$$$$$$.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
Kavanaugh may have lied under oath. Republicans are trying to rush the confirmation.

Even McConnell had concerns about Kavanaugh, but Trump chose him.

How does Trump pick the wrong people in selecting for key positions? Mattis may be an exception.

FiveRinger

Ratings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)