US Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retiring

skatingguy

Golden Team
I haven't watched any of this, but scrolling through CNN's live updates, I don't understand how it is considered fair to make Ford undergo questioning by a prosecutor, but then let Senate Republicans question Kavanaugh directly?
The Republican senators have the option to have the prosecutor ask questions or choose to ask them themselves.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Kavanaugh is really between a rock and a hard place. If he acknowledges any of this, he faces a criminal trial and being sent to jail. I think he's guilty and I think the GOP committee members know he's guilty. If he's confirmed and more information comes out, he still faces criminal charges and the GOP is screwed. That's why they are protesting too much and want this rushed through.
What I don't understand is why they are sticking to him. Sure, they wanted him for a number of reasons. But at this point, he's such a liability no matter what happens next. If he is confirmed and then ends up being prosecuted for these past crimes, they are totally screwed.

VGThuy

I think it may be personal for them. They don’t want to live in a world where someone like Kavanaugh or themselves can get punished for bad acts he committed.

Susan1

What I don't understand is why they are sticking to him. Sure, they wanted him for a number of reasons. But at this point, he's such a liability no matter what happens next. If he is confirmed and then ends up being prosecuted for these past crimes, they are totally screwed.
Who was it that was yelling about what a terrible thing this was and that the democrats were only trying to hold up the nomination and he'd never seen anything so terrible in his 100 years (ha ha) on the job? I kept yelling Merrick Garland.

I should know better than to watch this stuff after getting a sore throat from yelling at all the trumpy stuff for the past 3 years.

mrinalini

And CNN is now telling me that Kavanaugh is responding to questioning about his drinking by turning the question around to the Senator. Is that coming off as poorly in real time as it seems it should?
It did. I can't believe how combative and childish he's being (he's at it again now with Senator Blumenthal) - it is inconceivable that someone who displays this kind of temperament can even be considered to be on the Supreme Court. Imagine if Kagan or Sotomayor behaved like this during their hearings!

Elizabeth Holtzman talked about Dr. Ford's "simplicity and grace" and this idiot with his tongue and nose waggling is just showing none of that!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
because it sets a really bad precedent and worry about the GOP before the mid term elections. All the GOP is able to do is try to divert attention away from Blasey Ford to this being a Democratic ploy. They couldn't discredit her. I'm not sure what their point is. The public is against Kavanaugh in the polls. Any senator who votes for him is going to have to find a way to make that vote look valid.

Lchan

Hmm, well, that's me convinced. Totally convinced. Convinced he's an overgrown frat boy with a drink problem and a massive sense of entitlement.

(And is it me, or is discussing these allegations with his ten year old daughter a bit weird? I've got a ten year old and if these allegations were made about her father I'd be keeping her away from school and the news etc....)

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
Kavanaugh's body language and facial expressions are conveying a sense of indignant entitlement and do not engender any sympathy to his situation. He is combative, continuously interrupting the Democratic senators and grandstanding. That may appeal to Trump but is extremely unbecoming temperament for a high-level judge.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Is that coming off as poorly in real time as it seems it should? To me it signals that he doesn't take this seriously. It'd be one thing if he refused to answer, but this "I know you are but what am I" kind of response is childish.
He is coming across as arrogant, pompous & condescending. If he doesn't like certain questions he just doesn't answer directly. It runs down their time by making them ask it multiple times and they still don't get an answer. He interrupts while they're asking questions, starts talking about something unrelated and then says "let me finish my response" when they stop him to get back on point.

Compare his demeanor to Blasey Ford who listened to the complete questions and statements of others without interrupting and directly answered all the questions asked of her.

my little pony

war crawling into canada
it's cute how were pretending there is 1 accuser

dr ford is a true patriot, one of the only ones in that room

graham's audition for atty gen seems to be going well, he may even get a SAG card out of it

FiveRinger

Kavanaugh is going to be the cause of his own death. He would serve himself well to just answer a direct question. All of those long-winded, drawn out explanations are so unnecessary and furthermore, he never answers the question. Someone who talks that much shouldn't be trusted.

And just because you played sports and were an academic does not mean that you didn't commit a crime.

FiveRinger

Kavanaugh's body language and facial expressions are conveying a sense of indignant entitlement and do not engender any sympathy to his situation. He is combative, continuously interrupting the Democratic senators and grandstanding. That may appeal to Trump but is extremely unbecoming temperament for a high-level judge.
That's his attempt to run down the clock. Each senator only has 5 minutes to speak. If he spends 4.5 minutes arguing....

rfisher

Let the skating begin
it's cute how were pretending there is 1 accuser

dr ford is a true patriot, one of the only ones in that room

graham's audition for atty gen seems to be going well, he may even get a SAG card out of it
And, you'd think old Lindsey would have noticed that being one of Trump's boys can come back to bite you in the ass. But, AG would get him out of S Carolina. If the Dems make gains in the mid terms, expect the rats to run from the Trump ship because the odds of him winning a 2nd term will sink like a rock. They're going to push Kavanaugh through and every person who watched Dr. Ford needs to remember when they go to the polls.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
He just said on the record he doesn't know Christine Blasey Ford. Christine Blasey Ford said she was introduced to him by one of his best friends & also knew his other best friend Judge. His own attorney did interviews yesterday suggesting he might have met her. He needs to account for this discrepancy but no one is making him answer for it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I haven't watched any of this, but scrolling through CNN's live updates, I don't understand how it is considered fair to make Ford undergo questioning by a prosecutor, but then let the friendly (to say the least) Senate Republicans question Kavanaugh directly?

And CNN is now telling me that Kavanaugh is responding to questioning about his drinking by turning the question around to the Senator. Is that coming off as poorly in real time as it seems it should? To me it signals that he doesn't take this seriously. It'd be one thing if he refused to answer, but this "I know you are but what am I" kind of response is childish.
He came back and apologized to Senator Klobuchar because she stopped him cold and told him her parents were alcoholics and her 90 year old father was still in AA and that he'd done bad things with consequences.

once_upon

New condo owner
I was in the kitchen fixing dinner, because I couldn't watch anymore. My husband still has it on. Did I hear him say he tried out for JV basketball at Yale? Do colleges have JV team?

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
Why does 5 minutes when Ted Cruz has the floor feel like 5 hours. Lordie, he is even more loathsome than Kavanaugh.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
OMG those GOP Senators really are a thing to watch.
They will become a teaching point for many years to come of how not to behave. That is if USA can remain a democracy or don't sink the whole world in another devastating world war or more.
Kamala Harris ROCKS.
Dr FORD RULED.

He looks like an entitled prick.

puglover

This is costing me "friends" and I am not even American. I am usually okay with people disagreeing with me and consider myself usually able to see both sides of an argument - maybe too much for some tastes. I do not think I could ever choose a political party and agree with all of their stances on everything. However, some of the comments coming from friends/associates on facebook seem so ignorant - I am cutting them loose. So far it has not come to family members - when we were visiting the beginning of Sept. my daughter would not let her husband get into a political discussion with us. Probably wise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information