US Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retiring

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
It looks like we'll be having a very conservative Supreme Court until the day I die. For those of the left who said it didn't matter if Trump got elected...I hope they have something to say considering how some of the most recent Supreme Court decisions went and who Trump has been able to put on the benches of various lower courts and now the future of our Court. It's a sad state of affairs when Kennedy leaving is depressing for many of us because he of all people is considered a swing vote, but that's how far right we've gone in this country.

snoopy

Ratings
It looks like we'll be having a very conservative Supreme Court until the day I die. For those of the left who said it didn't matter if Trump got elected...I hope they have something to say considering how some of the most recent Supreme Court decisions went and who Trump has been able to put on the benches of various lower courts and now the future of our Court. It's a sad state of affairs when Kennedy leaving is depressing for many of us because he of all people is considered a swing vote, but that's how far right we've gone in this country.
Being on the cultural outs energized the Republicans, it might energize Democrats the same way. Obviously, it will take some time to reverse the courts, however, if the legislature turns enough D, they can legislate past the courts.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Being on the cultural outs energized the Republicans, it might energize Democrats the same way. Obviously, it will take some time to reverse the courts, however, if the legislature turns enough D, they can legislate past the courts.
Politically and legally speaking, I wouldn't say Republicans have been on the "outs" though. Conservatives have been in power for about 30 years now. I don't count Clinton and Obama winning the presidency as a sign things were becoming more progressive in that sphere as Reagan + George W. Bush really pushed this country way into the right that moderate politics is now seen as left. Don't get me wrong, a lot of progressive things happened under Clinton and Obama, but Conservative thinking has controlled the legislature and the Supreme Court and the political narrative for a long time.

About the Court, The conservatives didn't like all those Supreme Court decisions from the mid-20th century and knew that they didn't need better arguments but "better" judges and they've been working on that since at least the 1980s and it's been wildly successful for them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
Making America Great Again, snowflakes! Tee Hee.
You've been really quiet lately regarding all the things Trump has done. You never answer my questions outside of school yard name calling, but do you like children being separated from their parents at the border with a very high chance they won't be reunited? Do you celebrate it like Stephen Miller? Are you really happy that the one judge on the right who made sure we had same-sex marriage is now gone and his replacement most likely would not rule that way if that case was brought before him? This may be some sort of game where you're glad to be on the "winning" side to you, but what about the actual issues and consequences? I just want to get a feel of what you actually believe in because all I know right now is that you just like it when you feel you can taunt people. It seems like you just sided with one side for reasons and adopted certain juvenile language and attitudes and are just parroting it.

Lorac

Ratings
Sad day for America. I still can't get over how the Republicans refused to allow Obama to name a justice in early 2016. The founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
I do have to give it to the Republicans during Obama's last days. They made a big gamble with the whole Garland nomination process: flaunting procedure and doing something so transparently partisan and unprecedented. It turns out it wasn't that big of a gamble because their side only cares about such things when it benefits them and nobody cared that they were holding Obama's nomination hostage in the hopes Trump would win. They certainly won that battle.

Now, they want to make sure somebody replaces Kennedy before the midterms? Whatever happened to all that talk about waiting for the American public to decide who they want to do the hearings for nominees for the Supreme Court?

Last edited:

snoopy

Ratings
Politically and legally speaking, I wouldn't say Republicans have been on the "outs" though. Conservatives have been in power for about 30 years now. I don't count Clinton and Obama winning the presidency as a sign things were becoming more progressive in that sphere as Reagan + George W. Bush really pushed this country way into the right that moderate politics is now seen as left. Don't get me wrong, a lot of progressive things happened under Clinton and Obama, but Conservative thinking has controlled the legislature and the Supreme Court and the political narrative for a long time.

About the Court, The conservatives didn't like all those Supreme Court decisions from the mid-20th century and knew that they didn't need better arguments but "better" judges and they've been working on that since at least the 1980s and it's been wildly successful for them.
Liberals have been relying on the courts to save them while Republicans knew they needed to win the legislatures to have a shot to win. Now, Liberals only have the legislature - they can no longer rely on the courts. So this is how the two sides have flipped.

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
The Conservatives had the Court for a very long time though. Some things were just too much for even the more moderate conservatives on the Court to agree with, but now what used to be considered basic decency in terms of human rights has now gone out the window.

ilovepaydays

Ratings
Hooooo-aaaahhhh! :40beers::40beers::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::biggrinbo:biggrinbo:biggrinbo

HOOOOOO-AHHHHH!!!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::biggrinbo:biggrinbo:biggrinbo
Um, depending on who Trump nominates, the right could have a meltdown as well. The left will meltdown anyway. Both sides will be too excited use this to raise $$$$$$$$$$$ for these fall elections.

Susan Collins is not having a good day today.
Not as bad as Heidi Heitkamp (North Dakota), Joe Manchin (West Virginia), Bill Nelson (Florida), Joe Donnelly (Indiana), Claire McCaskill (Missouri) and Jon Tester (Montana). They are all Democrats defending in very competitive Senate races this fall.

This is going to get really ugly. :(

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Ratings
Is there any possible way Democrats can slow the process down until Midterms? And then find a way to get a centrist on the SCOTUS?

And @Frau Muller, I don't understand why you even bother posting in PI. Is it fun to be an internet troll? You refuse to post anything of substance, meaning you're either just an internet troll, or that nothing sticks in your head for very long.

snoopy

Ratings
I think the Dems should just confirm whomever Trump appoints. This falls under the elections have consequences category. We might need to push it even more toward the Susan Sarandon mantra - make it bad enough that liberals finally get off their butts to vote in all elections.

rfisher

Ratings
I do have to give it to the Republicans during Obama's last days. They made a big gamble with the whole Garland nomination process: flaunting procedure and doing something so transparently partisan and unprecedented. It turns out it wasn't that big of a gamble because their side only cares about such things when it benefits them and nobody cared that they were holding Obama's nomination hostage in the hopes Trump would win. They certainly won that battle.

Now, they want to make sure somebody replaces Kennedy before the midterms? Whatever happened to all that talk about waiting for the American public to decide who they want to do the hearings for nominees for the Supreme Court?
Because they are terrified of the mid terms. My new motto is remember in november

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)