US Presidential Race Returns - PBP

Susan1

The critical thing for the media is going to be whether it stops giving Trump coverage after January 20. His tweets won't be news; none of his words will be. But he'll still be trying to get attention by stirring the pot and there will be a temptation to keep giving him space.

The media should look back at how much coverage Obama and Bush got in the months after they left office. I doubt it was much. They better not give Trump special treatment because he's "entertaining."

Does trump even use that one, or just the @real........ one. Or are they the same thing. He should not be allowed to have any.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
The critical thing for the media is going to be whether it stops giving Trump coverage after January 20. His tweets won't be news; none of his words will be. But he'll still be trying to get attention by stirring the pot and there will be a temptation to keep giving him space.

The media should look back at how much coverage Obama and Bush got in the months after they left office. I doubt it was much. They better not give Trump special treatment because he's "entertaining."
But Bush made a point of not commenting on Obama, which Obama appreciated so much that refused to go after Trump at first as well. It's not like Trump is going to do the same.

caseyedwards

Does trump even use that one, or just the @real........ one. Or are they the same thing. He should not be allowed to have any.
Very true! It is probable Twitter bans trump. But the main answer is trump uses presidential Twitter to retweet personal Twitter

caseyedwards

Authorities in New York State are looking into her involvement in Trump's fraudulent income tax claims.

She should be worried, according to them. 🤗
“Authorities.” lol. Democrats. This is not how prosecutors usually work. Announce to press they want to put someone in jail.

Peaches LaTour

“Authorities.” lol. Democrats. This is not how prosecutors usually work. Announce to press they want to put someone in jail.

You didn't read my post carefully, did you.

They aren't saying they want to put her in jail. They are indicating that she will be investigated for her suspected involvement which could be serious trouble for her if she is involved.

And it isn't Democrats, it is the SDNY.
When did they announce they want to put someone in jail? I missed that announcement.

caseyedwards

It’s not the SDNY it’s Manhattan DA Vance. I doubt the SDNY would be like Vance and say so plainly they want to put all the Trumps in prison

once_upon

Voter
Thanks. I'm aware of the investigations but, although I read the article rather quickly, I didn't see anything about wanting to put anyone in jail. Perhaps I missed it?
I assume you are responding to someone I have on ignore. I skimmed the article and didn't see a Democrat conspiracy to put a Trump in jail.

I did see investigations discussed. I would say, you do the crime you do the punishment to the full extent of the law. Unless I missed something I dont think any laws have been enacted that specifically names different punishments if your name is Trump. Has anyone else?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
All these mistakes and misspellings are making me uneasy. No one is this stupid, no one is this buffoonish. This seems like a deliberate distraction from something. And yes, I know the lawsuits themselves are a distraction. But I'm talking about the seeming incompetence. You don't put Rudy Guiliani in charge of your election law issues if you think you have an actual case.

Somewhere along the way, a long time ago, the right wing discovered that the left wing really loves to feel smart. They also know that every time the left wing has to publicly let everyone know how smart they are, it pushes some people in the middle more towards the right. This was discussed during the 2000 election. I'll try to find the quote.

Meoima

All these mistakes and misspellings are making me uneasy. No one is this stupid, no one is this buffoonish. This seems like a deliberate distraction from something. And yes, I know the lawsuits themselves are a distraction. But I'm talking about the seeming incompetence. You don't put Rudy Guiliani in charge of your election law issues if you think you have an actual case.

Somewhere along the way, a long time ago, the right wing discovered that the left wing really loves to feel smart. They also know that every time the left wing has to publicly let everyone know how smart they are, it pushes some people in the middle more towards the right. This was discussed during the 2000 election. I'll try to find the quote.
Well maybe because
Trump is considering inviting Republican state legislators from Pennsylvania to the White House. The people of Pennsylvania chose
@JoeBiden. Remind @JakeCorman and @RepBenninghoff who they work for.
Call Jake Corman: 717-787-1377
Call Kerry Benningoff: 717-783-1918

Meoima

Meanwhile:
some Pennsylvania Republicans led by Rep. @MikeKellyPA are asking a state court to declare that the state's entire vote-by-mail system, violates the state constitution and that millions of votes cast this year must now be invalidated. The lawsuit is marked as having been filed at 4 a.m. The lawsuit is a challenge to Act 77, which it says is "another illegal attempt to override the limitations on absentee voting" in the state constitution. The act was approved more than a year ago; the lawsuit doesn't say why they waited until after this election to challenge it. The lawsuit claims that to expand mail-in voting, Pennsylvania would need to amend its constitution, which it didn't do, so the whole thing is illegal. Here's the portion of the PA Constitution the Republicans think makes mail-in voting illegal. Notably, the state Supreme Court referenced this very section in a case earlier this year in which it construed Act 77 and said not a peep about unconstitutionality.
From https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1330228513476120581?s=20

rfisher

Let the skating begin

I agree. Guiliani is the sleight of hand distraction of a good con.

Meoima

NEW: A group of 8 Republicans, including Congressman Mike Kelly & PA-17 candidate Sean Parnell are suing the GOP majority PA General Assembly, Gov. Tom Wolf, and Sec. of State Kathy Boockvar, claiming Act 77, which allowed for mail-in voting, is unconstitutional.
Act 77 passed with majority Republican support in a GOP-controlled legislature in 2019. It allowed for mail-in voting and eliminated straight party ticket ballots. It passed the House 138-61, with only one GOP "No" vote. It passed the Senate 30-20 with all GOP voting "Yes".
In the lawsuit, filed this morning in Commonwealth Court, plaintiffs say Act 77 is "unconstitutional," and "implemented illegally." They argue it's an illegal attempt to override limitations on absentee voting, and needed to go through a constitutional amendment first.
Plaintiffs in lawsuit say the certification of the election, which Joe Biden is currently leading by 80,000 in race for President, and which Rep. Kelly won and Mr. Parnell lost, should be prohibited.
NEW: Last night on CNN, former Pa. Rep. Charlie Dent said sources told him incoming Pa. Senate Pro Temp
@JakeCorman & Pa. House Speaker @RepBryanCutler were going to meet w/ @realDonaldTrump. Both Corman & Cutler spox tell me they are not going to WH and haven't been invited.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

When you are trying to put together stuff in a reactive fashion, mistakes are bound to be made. Plus it speaks more to the lack of due diligence on the part of Trump's legal team as every case that has been presented to courts has been thrown out because of their incompetence. If they can't get evidence right, how do you expect them to check the spelling of a simple name? The whole thing is a joke.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

New: Black voters in Detroit and a voting rights group, repped by @NAACP_LDF, are suing Trump in federal court, accusing him of violating the Voting Rights Act by trying to undermine the election results in Michigan

I may have cackled when I read this this morning. TAKE THAT REVERSE UNO CARD AND SHOVE IT, TRUMP.

ballettmaus

But a wide array of Republican, Democrat and nonpartisan election law experts have agreed that the request has limited basis in law and that it is unlikely any court would adopt such a sweeping intervention. Under state law, Gov. Tom Wolf is bound to select electors to the Electoral College based on the winner of the state’s popular vote once the results are certified.

But Kelly’s lawsuit may face even greater hurdles. The specific law he is challenging included provisions requiring all constitutional challenges to it to be filed with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court within six months of the law’s final passage.

His suit brought before a lower appellate court comes six months after that deadline.

On a slightly separate now, the article doesn't mention whether or not it's likely true that a state constitutional amendment is required and that is one aspect that has been bothering me about journalism these past few years. I'm now left wondering if the PA Constitution says so and even if I look it up, I doubt I'll know exactly what it says because it's a Constitution. So instead of putting out this article as quickly as possible, I'd prefer if they had taken the time to include quotes from experts that tell me whether or not the Contitution does say so or why the GOP thinks it does. And I think this is happening far too much as of late. (And not just in the US).

Cachoo

Trump has always thrown lawyers at problems he had created knowing he could beat down anyone because he could outspend them. So it is amusing to see that he has found an opponent that doesn’t back down. Think of when the Hulk slammed Loki about—That is how I see it.

In the meantime Chelsea Clinton reports that MAGA’s are outside of the Clinton’s home yelling “Lock Her Up.” My question is WHY? And what does Hillary have to do with this election?

katmari

Meoima

Making clear how much of a death knell this federal ruling in PA is to Trump‘s efforts, @SenToomey now recognizes Biden as President-elect & says Trump “has exhausted all plausible legal options to challenge the result“ in PA. Toomey also touts Brann’s conservative creds. And this: “To ensure that he is remembered for these outstanding accomplishments, and to help unify our country, President Trump should accept the outcome of the election and facilitate the presidential transition process.”
From https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1330334612246196225?s=20

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information