US Presidential Race Returns - PBP

caseyedwards

No I think that up until today pretty much there has been an existing danger they could pull something off. With Georgia certifying and the MI gambit failing it is coming to the end of their attempt. But when a president is attempting to subvert an election I think the media has to cover that, while doing what the NY Times and Washington Post have both done: calling it for what it is an attempt to over turn the election results.
No. This is not true at all. This is anti trump hysteria that admittedly got him defeated but it’s really time to end it. It makes no sense. You realize republicans in Georgia keep calling Trump the loser? It is republicans? This is completely hysterical and needs to stop.

caseyedwards

Based on Michigan and Georgia republicans words the dc media is going absolutely hysterical for no reason whatsoever!! Where is this hysteria coming from? It must be because they want to keep outrage machine going for ratings and clicks. It has no basis in reality. There is no coup. There is nothing. It is outrage machine!

FiveRinger

Everyone is making valid points, which is why I asked the question. In my logical mind, I understand that some of this is newsworthy because we've never seen this type of coup attempt (i.e. buffonery) before in American politics. And the media, on some level, has to run it's paces. But I'm suffering from Trump Exhaustion, and I'm really ready for it to be over. Watching it, or stepping away from the coverage for several days, it's frustrating to have to watch the same clown car circle the drain day after day after day. I think that I might be complaining about the amount of coverage that this is getting. I may be exaggerating some, but on Monday we didn't seriously believe Trump would successfully overturn the election. And Friday we're in the same spot. In fact, we've been at that conclusion for a couple of weeks now. And this is where we'll be for the next several weeks.

I really wish that the media had the ability not to give Trump so much attention for his revolting behavior. We know he does much of it just to stir people up and get a response, negative or otherwise. I give the media a little credit for cutting away from the really detrimental bullsh*t. I guess someone has to broadcast some truth to compensate for all of the lies.

And to whoever posted upthread that the attempts may have been harder because of the coverage, I agree, especiallyin light of the mess that happened in Detroit.

The one thing that I hope that this massive coverage does is put a big spotlight on GA so that people who can vote there on Jan 5 do and that those of us who can't donate.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The critical thing for the media is going to be whether it stops giving Trump coverage after January 20. His tweets won't be news; none of his words will be. But he'll still be trying to get attention by stirring the pot and there will be a temptation to keep giving him space.

The media should look back at how much coverage Obama and Bush got in the months after they left office. I doubt it was much. They better not give Trump special treatment because he's "entertaining."

caseyedwards

The critical thing for the media is going to be whether it stops giving Trump coverage after January 20. His tweets won't be news; none of his words will be. But he'll still be trying to get attention by stirring the pot and there will be a temptation to keep giving him space.

The media should look back at how much coverage Obama and Bush got in the months after they left office. I doubt it was much. They better not give Trump special treatment because he's "entertaining."
This is up to democrats. Vance just reveled to New York Times he wants to put trump and invanka in prison for tax crimes. That seems like it will make trump news every single day with 24/7 coverage. Why all are democrats united around putting all the trumps in prison now? They just announced it. So he’s not going away. Democrats won’t let him.

Obama and holder announced they were not going to put bush and Cheney on trial for war crimes. Not going to put Yoo in jail for crimes against humanity

Vagabond

If Trump is indicted, his attorneys are likely to condition their continued representation on his not making any public statements of any kind.

caseyedwards

If Trump is indicted, his attorneys are likely to condition their continued representation on his not making any public statements of any kind.
And that would be hilarious. That democrats putting trump in prison would/could mean silence from trump. That it somehow wouldn’t be 24/7 news every day and somehow really quiet

And what if Vance does start with Ivanka? Puts her in prison first?

overedge

G.O.A.T.

Which might mean he won't have legal representation, because staying out of the public eye would be impossible for him to do. It would be like when his press secretaries tried to rein him in on Twitter....

caseyedwards

If she commits crimes that deserve to be in prison, she should be in prison. End of story.
The point is that there is no way to make the trumps go away if democrats are opening investigations into them looking for any possible wrongdoing! When Vance told the NYT he wants to put Ivanka in prison for being a paid consultant he said he didn’t really have a case yet

Meoima

The point is that there is no way to make the trumps go away if democrats are opening investigations into them looking for any possible wrongdoing! When Vance told the NYT he wants to put Ivanka in prison for being a paid consultant he said he didn’t really have a case yet
The point is, the guy is an attorney and we are not. If he has a good case with credible evidences, we will know soon, in several months.

myhoneyhoney

Is it treason if you are a member of the government? Is that not sedition instead?

I think you're right, sedition would be the better word right now. Would that apply since Biden hasn't been sworn in?

IIRC treason is an actual violent act towards the country.

Vagabond

constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/full-text
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
I don't think what Trump is known to have been doing recently fits the constitutional definition of "treason."

18 U.S.C. § 2384 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure § 2384. Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
"By force" might be a stumbling block to prosecuting him on this one.

caseyedwards

The point is, the guy is an attorney and we are not. If he has a good case with credible evidences, we will know soon, in several months.
Is he doing it for justice or vengeance? He is a partisan democrat. I was responding to a post about Trump going away and not being in the media anymore. Democrats trying to put him and or his daughter in prison won’t make him go away. He will be a bigger story than ever. President going to prison? Presidents daughter going to prison? That’s not a blurb that’s breaking news 24/7

caseyedwards

BREAKING: After meritless litigation in Arizona failed, Maricopa County’s Board of Supervisors (4-1 GOP) unanimously certifies as a free and fair election. Unanimously.
From https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1329955652865839104?s=20
It seems they all vote for certification.
In 2020 republican did not equal Trump fanatic! In 1984 republican meant Reagan fanatic! But republicans were more likely to support Biden than trump in 2020 especially In arizona

ballettmaus

I wish them luck with that.

I wonder if the media will begin using the word "treason".
They were pretty afraid to use any of those words throughout the four years. I'm not sure they'll be more courageous once he's out of office since their bosses will still be the same.

ErikWilliam

But do you really think Trump is capable of putting a lid on it? He will be a nightmare client for any attorney. Plus, he has difficulty actually paying his bills. No wonder Giuliani is representing him. I hope he doesn't think he's going to be paid the $20K/day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information