US Nationals Fan Breakfast to Benefit Alysa Liu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjs5572

Alysa Liu Fundraiser Breakfast at US Nationals!!! (Please note change in time).

Hello. I am the fan liaison for the Pacific Coast Competitors Figure Skating Foundation. In this capacity, I am organizing a breakfast
during Nationals Week to benefit Alysa's training expenses.

Meet Alysa, get her autograph, take some selfies, break bread with friends, and maybe win a Nationals T-shirt signed by our own Triple Axel phenom!

Here are the details:
Entry Fee: $80 ($60 of which may be tax deductible*). Remit by cash or check.
Pay: At the door
Where: TAP Restaurant at MGM Grand Detroit
When: Sunday, Jan 27 at 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM

I have organized fan get togethers in Boston and San Jose, so you know a great time will be had by all!

Please note, I am donating the cost of the breakfast, so all of your $80 entry fee will go to the training fund.

Private message me to RSVP!!!

* PCCFSF is a non-profit under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. As such, your contribution may be tax deductible. Please speak to your tax advisor about deductibility.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m all for organizing fan get-togethers to cheer-on favorite skaters. However, isn’t at least one of Alyssa’s two fathers a wealthy attorney and CEO? Not sure about the need to raise funds to defray training expenses, especially when there are other skaters with less privileged circumstances.

sjs5572

I’m all for organizing fan get-togethers to cheer-on favorite skaters. However, isn’t at least one of Alyssa’s two fathers a wealthy attorney and CEO? Not sure about the need to raise funds to defray training expenses, especially when there are other skaters with less privileged circumstances.

I don't want to get into Mr Liu's personal finances, but he is not wealthy. He supports five children and works in a very "altruistic" sector of law. Take it from someone whose sibling attorneys are barely middle class!

centerpt1

Is this typically done at Nationals? I remember this type thing being held in a skater's home area/club, or online, or donations sent to an organization that helps fund skaters (ie donated in their name/earmarked for them).

sjs5572

Is this typically done at Nationals? I remember this type thing being held in a skater's home area/club, or online, or donations sent to an organization that helps fund skaters (ie donated in their name/earmarked for them).

Proceeds from this event are earmarked for Alysa and deposited into the account for the Pacific Coast Competitors Figure Skating Foundation, a 501(c)(3). Paperwork for the your tax deductible contribution will be completed at the door upon remittance. This fund is organized similarly to the "New England Amateur Skating Foundation."
As to whether this is usually done at Nationals, not really sure. However, I believe this is a great opportunity for a fan get-together, while raising money for a phenomenal young skater.

concorde

I question the legalities of this.

It is ok for the organization to raise money to assist in paying the training expenses incurred by skaters. Where I believe there is the issue is you are stating that all the money raised will be given directly to a certain individual. You can hint at it and then follow through but to bluntly state that is crossing the line. From what I have been told, a "charity" cannot support one individual to the exclusion of all others.

I strongly suggest you ask your lawyers.

sjs5572

I question the legalities of this.

It is ok for the organization to raise money to assist in paying the training expenses incurred by skaters. Where I believe there is the issue is you are stating that all the money raised will be given directly to a certain individual. You can hint at it and then follow through but to bluntly state that is crossing the line. From what I have been told, a "charity" cannot support one individual to the exclusion of all others.

I strongly suggest you ask your lawyers.
All of the funds from the lunch are earmarked to Alysa via a form that is completed at the door. This is the same type of form used by the New England Amateur Skating Foundation. For example, this is how fans of Nathan Chen donate to his training fund through the foundation. Alysa Liu's father, an attorney, has reviewed the guidelines for this fundraiser, and has given me approval to proceed. Thank you

Last edited:

Debbie S

@concorde is correct. USFS has info about this on the website, as does the IRS. It's fine to raise money for a specific skater but those donations are not tax-deductible. Several years ago, I attended a USFS club education workshop where the guy who gave the financial mgmt presentation (and was the father of a former ice dancer) stated this, and also referenced the NEASF (not by name, but we all knew what he was talking about).

I think NEASF gets around this by officially including a note at the bottom of the donation sheet that says to consult your tax preparer on how your donation is treated. I know people here aren't going to believe me and I have no interest in arguing, so I'll just say to donors, make sure you discuss this with someone knowledgeable before you count the amount as a deduction (and with the new standard deduction amounts, most people probably don't itemize anymore anyway).

sjs5572

@concorde is correct. USFS has info about this on the website, as does the IRS. It's fine to raise money for a specific skater but those donations are not tax-deductible. Several years ago, I attended a USFS club education workshop where the guy who gave the financial mgmt presentation (and was the father of a former ice dancer) stated this, and also referenced the NEASF (not by name, but we all knew what he was talking about).

I think NEASF gets around this by officially including a note at the bottom of the donation sheet that says to consult your tax preparer on how your donation is treated. I know people here aren't going to believe me and I have no interest in arguing, so I'll just say to donors, make sure you discuss this with someone knowledgeable before you count the amount as a deduction (and with the new standard deduction amounts, most people probably don't itemize anymore anyway).

I edited my post to reflect the disclaimer from the NEASF. Thanks.

MorganaLefay

So strange, I was sure that the partners in my law firm who supported individual ABT dancers got to deduct every single cent....but 2017 instructions are fairly clear that even earmarking makes them non-deductible (p. 6 in this guidance https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf). In any event, it's great that someone is organizing a get together and a fundraiser, it sounds like it would be lots of fun. I wish I could attend but unfortunately, I won't be going this year.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I don't want to get into Mr Liu's personal finances, but he is not wealthy. He supports five children and works in a very "altruistic" sector of law. Take it from someone whose sibling attorneys are barely middle class!

I understand that you are trying to raise money for this skater, and that you don't want to publicize her family's financial situation. But "her dad isn't wealthy because my relatives doing the same job aren't wealthy" is not really a credible argument.

sjs5572

So strange, I was sure that the partners in my law firm who supported individual ABT dancers got to deduct every single cent....but 2017 instructions are fairly clear that even earmarking makes them non-deductible (p. 6 in this guidance https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf). In any event, it's great that someone is organizing a get together and a fundraiser, it sounds like it would be lots of fun. I wish I could attend but unfortunately, I won't be going this year.
Thank you. I am just a fan just like the rest of you. I am actually quite surprised that my good faith effort to help a great skater and create some great memories is so controversial.

concorde

We looked at setting up one of those accounts for my daughter about a year ago (through a different organization). At the time, they told me about the earmarking issue and also that there were no guarantees that my daughter would receive all the funds designated for her. We opted to skip it.

For those that say that "their" funds went to skate x, how do you really know?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Last year at Nationals was my spouse's first ever figure skating experience and he wouldn't stop talking about how much he liked Alysa. I had to stop him from running down to the ice for an attempt at a selfie as she did her victory lap. I'll let him know about this and I sure he will want to go. As far as people concerned that Alysa doesn't deserve help over other skaters based on the assumption her family's financial situation... um how about you organize your own gathering for another skater and let people raise money for whoever they want. It is not your money and really not your concern.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I think that the main issue here is that we’re quite a diverse bunch from all over the world. With few exceptions EVERY skater could use more funding. If you have a favorite, consider donating. If you just love figure skating, consider donating to scholarship programs through your country’s federation.

caseyy

@sjs5572 I think a GoFundMe campaign would be a good idea so those who cannot attend Nationals can support Alysa. You’ll be able to reach more people and people will know where their money is going to. I know many skaters do this. For example, Yuna Shiraiwa has raised more than 121,000 USD this season through a crowdfunding campaign.

sjs5572

@sjs5572 I think a GoFundMe campaign would be a good idea so those who cannot attend Nationals can support Alysa. You’ll be able to reach more people and people will know where their money is going to. I know many skaters do this. For example, Yuna Shiraiwa has raised more than 121,000 USD this season through a crowdfunding campaign.
I will mention this suggestion to her father, Arthur. Thanks!!

Carolla5501

I understand that you are trying to raise money for this skater, and that you don't want to publicize her family's financial situation. But "her dad isn't wealthy because my relatives doing the same job aren't wealthy" is not really a credible argument.

And your snide comment only proves that you feel like you need to be nasty about anything on this board that you don’t like

Credible arguments really aren’t your strong point are they?

Thank you. I am just a fan just like the rest of you. I am actually quite surprised that my good faith effort to help a great skater and create some great memories is so controversial.

Personally I think it’s a very nice thing you’re doing and you need to learn to ignore the people on here who will be hateful no matter what. Especially if it does not affect their Favorite

I am going to try to attend.
Is it really necessary for those who will not be supporting the skater to trash someone who is trying to help?

And I much prefer to do this then a gofundme, where you are then signed up to be bothered by every organization that comes along. (No I don’t want to fund the wall or some idiots wedding)

Last edited:

concorde

Wowa. I was never intending to trash anyone.
OP was providing incorrect information and my intent was to correct him/her. OP has now revised the post accordingly.

I agree that this thread has had some snarky comments but that is how this board operates. One gets used to it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
And your snide comment only proves that you feel like you need to be nasty about anything on this board that you don’t like

Thank you for telling me how I feel about things. I never would have known otherwise :rolleyes:

If someone is raising money to help a skater, it's not trashing the skater or the campaign to ask questions about it. People have a right to know where their donations are going and whether the skater needs the help.

VGThuy

Just want to say just because you’re a lawyer doesn’t mean you’re rolling in dough. Especially if you’re still paying off student loans up to $250,000 or more, not working for a big law firm, and is taking care of five kids with one in figure skating with figure skating expenses.

sjs5572

The Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast is being held much later than usual this year (11AM to 1PM). To avoid a conflict with that event, the fundraiser will be held from 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Please note the change in time and the revised entry fee. Thank you.

Tinami Amori

I want to see a GoFundMe page for Alysa and make a contribution. I love the fact that her parents are wealthy attorneys and the family has money. I don't care what their needs are, and if there are "those less privileged". I want to support a girl, who is talented and who has a family of ACHIEVERS and "breeding of success".

Social Darwinism rules! strongest survive... :D

Is there a GoFundMe of Alysa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information