US Figure Skating Post-San Jose Survey

acraven

I received an email last week, asking me to fill out an online survey for US Figure Skating. I don't know whether the message was sent to all purchasers of tickets, all purchasers of all-event tickets, or just a random sample. I haven't seen the survey mentioned here on FSU, so I guess there was some random selection going on. The email contained a recipient-specific link, so there seemed no way to share it and let other people respond.

Nearly all the survey questions were multiple-choice. Although there were a few about how many skating events I attended last year, how many I watched on TV, and the in-venue "entertainment" (but none about SkateRadio), the bulk of the survey was advertising-related (who are the USFS sponsors, etc.).

There were also a couple of questions about sources of skating information. One listed a bunch of websites, including GoldenSkate but omitting FSU. I was able to call out that omission in response to a subsequent question that allowed text entry.

One question asked whether I'd recommending that family/friends attend Nationals (or perhaps it was about attending USFS events in general). I was delighted that it was followed by an opportunity to explain my answer in text form, allowing me to state my concerns about recent Nationals--or at least as many of them as I could think of at the moment. This is what I wrote (with paragraphs added here to improve readability).

"Ticket prices are an issue, most especially when coupled with a schedule that makes it impossible to see all the ticketed events and causes us to question whether to buy all-event tickets in the future.

"Locating half the junior events and all the novice events in a venue that requires taking taxis/Uber back and forth reduces the value of an all-event ticket--as does use of such venues for senior practices, which many of us like to attend. It seems that every year we are able to see less at the main arena. Paying top dollar for a really good seat and only being in it for 12 of the 24 novice/junior/senior competitive sessions is not a trend we are happy about.

"We appreciated San Jose's providing back rests at Solar4America Ice, but the seating at that venue was uncomfortably cramped, and it was quite cold. Again, that's not what we expect, especially for junior events, when we pay $1000+ for all-event tickets.

"ALSO, it was a huge disappointment not to be able to hear the SkateRadio in our seats this year. It was so staticky that it was incomprehensible. Why was this suddenly a problem in San Jose? Why wasn't reception tested in advance? Furthermore, none of us can understand why it was considered acceptable to have an iPhone app and not an Android app for that very important audio, which is so important to serious fans. Market-share statistics as of June 2017 show that Android phones make up 54% of the US market, vs. 45% for iPhones. [If] Prudential was only willing to fund one app, it should have been for the device that more of us have. What on earth are USFS and Prudential thinking? It is maddening."

<End of survey response>

I know a lot of other Nationals attendees share at least some of my concerns, so I hope my comments are at least seen by the decision-makers.

I wish there had been an opportunity to add other comments, because I would have liked to thank the Detroit Nationals organizers for not putting tickets on sale during this year's Nationals, which meant we didn't have to skip an event we had tickets for in order to buy next year's tickets.

A.H.Black

I also got the survey. I put in some similar comments to yours. However, the survey seemed almost completely oriented to the sponsers. It seemed to go on and on. I got half way through and had enough. I didn't finish it.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I filled out the survey. I had done one in the arena and assumed it was a follow up. There was some kind of restaurant coupon incentive, but I love doing surveys so no incentive was needed (although I'll enjoy it if I get it).

What I didn't understand was when they said sponsors they really meant TV sponsors. I thought they meant organizational ones, so I failed to list a whole bunch that I probably could have simply from having to endure their commercials. I regretted there was no opportunity to say what I thought about the products I remembered, since I'd like to let Puffs know just how tawdry their kiss 'n cry is and the many easy ways they could improve upon it.

I also liked when they asked which booths I'd gone to when I hadn't gone to any and they left out the take a patriotic picture at Smuckers and get a strawberry stuffie. I actually had gone there and gotten my picture taken and brought the strawberry home with me as an excellent souvenir. The 2018 stuffie is much cheerier than the 2014 stuffie I keep by its side. And I personally didn't get one of those Toyota bags, so I couldn't claim I had but that booth was always jammed. What I did say I'd gone to was the Cabinet one, because I'd been so startled it was there, I chatted with the guy in the booth. Sad to say, he didn't offer me any cabinets.

I doubt I was much help to the survey company, so maybe I won't get the restaurant coupon reward after all.

Debbie S

USFS must have significantly increased their vendor fees. There were only a couple skating-related merchants, much less than in prior years, and very few in general. I think almost every booth was a sponsor, and they probably get the booth as part of their sponsorship deal. It also seemed odd that there was no info about next year's Nats and the USFS people knew nothing. Even if no ticket sale date had been set, at least provide info about the event, the area, venues, seat map....they had a captive audience.

Bellanca

Yes, I believe the survey is random. The comments above pretty much spell out how it was. Cold with cramped seating, etc -- for an exorbitant price -- yep. Good reactions to the survey, though. The feedback will be helpful. Plus, how many times throughout one's life will you hear comments about or see a post on a "strawberry stuffie?" :rollin: The stuffies, btw, are one of the best parts of the whole kit and caboodle!

Willin

I mainly commented on how awful the self-congratulatory stuff was. I understand celebrating past champions, but maybe during the Gala? Both the ladies and mens SPs could've ended 30 minutes earlier without all the ceremony - which would've made a big difference on work nights.
A lot of younger fans (like me) like watching the skating. It's nice to appreciate the past, but I paid the admission price to watch the competition. If I wanted to watch recognition I would've paid to see the Gala or go to one of the parties.

I also would've liked if ticket prices, particularly last minute ones, were cheaper or if the pricing was lower in general. I know at least 3-4 more people who would've gone if it was cheaper. I would've invited friends to watch with me as well. It didn't help that there were misleading FB ads from the organizers saying "tickets from $12" only to find out tickets started at $40 when you inquire at the arena. If they don't sell out, they should try to - maybe giving discount tickets to local skating club members or current/former USFSA members in the young adult age range? Everyone I knew who couldn't attend or like me had to stretch the budget to attend were in an age range USFSA surely wants to increase interest in (18-35).

Debbie S

I believe the LOC did offer group discounts to local skating clubs...I think they had to purchase a certain number of tickets (i.e. members purchase through the club). I wonder how many clubs took advantage....seems like a lot for a club to manage.

Willin

@Debbie S Idk about other clubs (maybe Peninsula got a discount?), but my club wasn't offered any as far as I know. They said to order tickets via the normal means and mention the club name - they gave no reason for why you should mention the club name and never offered a discount. I mentioned the club name, but I got no discount. I'm thinking USFSA was using club name to track sales to local members or something similar as they also asked on the Volunteer form.

vesperholly

I mainly commented on how awful the self-congratulatory stuff was. I understand celebrating past champions, but maybe during the Gala? Both the ladies and mens SPs could've ended 30 minutes earlier without all the ceremony - which would've made a big difference on work nights.
A lot of younger fans (like me) like watching the skating. It's nice to appreciate the past, but I paid the admission price to watch the competition. If I wanted to watch recognition I would've paid to see the Gala or go to one of the parties.

I agree but we did really need Uncle Dick to come out with sage for the men's competition, so he gets a pass. ;)

I also would've liked if ticket prices, particularly last minute ones, were cheaper or if the pricing was lower in general. I know at least 3-4 more people who would've gone if it was cheaper. I would've invited friends to watch with me as well. It didn't help that there were misleading FB ads from the organizers saying "tickets from $12" only to find out tickets started at $40 when you inquire at the arena. If they don't sell out, they should try to - maybe giving discount tickets to local skating club members or current/former USFSA members in the young adult age range? Everyone I knew who couldn't attend or like me had to stretch the budget to attend were in an age range USFSA surely wants to increase interest in (18-35).
Nationals ticket pricing has always been completely outrageous. Even single-event tickets are pricey.

It seems like a total no-brainer to me that if you want to fill seats, lower prices. My city has a lacrosse team whose games regularly sell out our 19,000-capacity NHL arena on Saturday nights because the tickets are like $15-30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information