US elections 2021-2022

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
The outsider input by the dug-in-the-heels politicians on all sides can get annoying, but it's effectiveness is kind of beside the point when there is a pathetic turnout of 18% in OH-11 and 13% (IIRC) in OH-15. It's misleading for the news to report winners as sending "clear messages" about centrists, progressives, or any other generalizations they always want to make. Likewise, when the voter turnout is so low, candidates who lost had the opportunity to scrounge up another 50-75 voters per 1000 registrants to win those seats or at least affect the outcome in some other way. And none of it takes into consideration the growing number of independent voters when they significantly contributed to wins in many swing states in 2020. In OH (unlike many states) anyone can ask for a Dem or GOP ballot in the primary, so it's a segment easily overlooked by candidates that can cost them.

The only thing I see that's all that telling from these primary results is the desperate need for OH Dems to install an enthusiastic and personable Abrams like leader to oversee voter registration drives and calls to activism.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
So I'm in a Redistricting seminar. I think it's aimed at special interest groups like the League of Women Voters, affordable housing organizations, etc. but anyone can attend.

They said anyone in our county can submit suggested redistricting maps! There will be an online tool. It's only for county-level and below like Supervisor districts, City Districts to elect City Council members, and stuff like that. So not Congressional districts.
Our redistricting group is meeting this month. I'm thankful for The League of Women Voters who I know will be scrutinizing their maps and challenging whatever doesn't fit the new guidelines.

I notice you take a lot of initiative to stay involved with your city council, BOE, and other local government. I have a real appreciation for people willing to regularly participate and give input. Considering the constant gridlock at the federal level, and number of crooks at the state level (at least where I live) it's the local government that are actually taking opportunities in real time to act on some of the important issues like climate and environmental justice.

jlai

Title-less
Texas senator Alvarado started a filibuster yesterday on the elections bill and is still ongoing?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I notice you take a lot of initiative to stay involved with your city council, BOE, and other local government. I have a real appreciation for people willing to regularly participate and give input. Considering the constant gridlock at the federal level, and number of crooks at the state level (at least where I live) it's the local government that are actually taking opportunities in real time to act on some of the important issues like climate and environmental justice.
This! I'm not active like @MacMadame but I do follow what is going on and send emails at times. Of course, it will depend on where you live but its where you can have a real impact if you keep up with some local orgs that reflect your point of view.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm debating whether to vote for a replacement candidate or just skip it.

🤔 Maybe I should write in Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis. Or else just vote for Angelyne. 🤷‍♂️
I was thinking I'd vote for the least likely to win to take votes away from the Caitlyn Jenners and Larry Elders and that's who my husband recommended (Angelynne). I do like the idea of a write-in campaign for Kounalakis though.

This! I'm not active like @MacMadame but I do follow what is going on and send emails at times. Of course, it will depend on where you live but its where you can have a real impact if you keep up with some local orgs that reflect your point of view.
Yes, sign up for mailing lists for groups who are involved in your top issues and you learn about all sorts of things you can do such as signing petitions, sending emails, attending meetings, phone banking. I won't do phone banking or call anyone but I do all the emails and petitions I can.

The pand3m1c has also helped because so much is virtual now. I "attended" the redistricting seminar from my home computer while eating dinner! (But not in my PJs as I was also attending a meeting just after where I had to keep my video on. :lol:)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
From the Guardian, just this one sentence is probably enough to send Republicans into spasms to redouble their efforts to gerrymander and vote suppress:

America’s population growth over the last decade was driven by minorities and cities, census data released Thursday shows, painting the most detailed picture to date of how America has changed over the last 10 years.

Republicans have two choices: 1) aggressively undermine democracy, 2) adjust to the changing demographics and win voters.

Which will they choose? :unsure:

Hint to them: a diverse population is diverse. That is to say there's nothing set in stone about what politics will appeal to the growing diverse population, with the exception that what won't is one that tries to exclude that population from participation.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Republicans have two choices: 1) aggressively undermine democracy, 2) adjust to the changing demographics and win voters.

Which will they choose? :unsure:

They are choosing #1. Here's secret footage from a conference discussing the concerted efforts to implement new voting laws in conservative states. Pushed by the Heritage Foundation and conservative PACs, dark money is actively trying to crater our democracy.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
They are choosing #1. Here's secret footage from a conference discussing the concerted efforts to implement new voting laws in conservative states. Pushed by the Heritage Foundation and conservative PACs, dark money is actively trying to crater our democracy.

Yes, they don't exactly show any sign of going in a different direction.

But I think its important to make the point that there are plenty of voters out there interested in a variety of policies that are right of center: lower taxes, anti-abortion, limited government, more military spending and if they jettisoned the messages of white resentment and hostility to diversity, they'd have plenty of opportunities to compete honestly for voters. Of course, they'd have to stop allowing the most reactionary forces to control the party and the primaries and I don't know how that would happen.

Its really kind of remarkable right now. There are virtually no right of center policy proposals; no serious challenges of ideas to the left because the Republican Party has opted out and is bent on creating anger and suppressing votes.

It does not have to be this way.

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Its really kind of remarkable right now. There are virtually no right of center policy proposals; no serious challenges of ideas to the left because the Republican Party has opted out and is bent on creating anger and suppressing votes.

Was just reading this point made by someone else this morning. Sine they got their massive billionaire tax cuts, it seems like all the R's do is try to stop Dems. What are they actually for? Only clinging to their individual power.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Was just reading this point made by someone else this morning. Sine they got their massive billionaire tax cuts, it seems like all the R's do is try to stop Dems. What are they actually for? Only clinging to their individual power.
They had full power in 2017 and 2018 with the presidency, the House and the Senate. They passed the tax cut and the only other thing they tried to do was repeal Obamacare but without any proposal for health care to replace it. And they were hot to put justices on the Supreme Court so the Supreme Court could strike down liberal policies. That's basically it; they couldn't pass infrastructure legislation with a Republican president even though some of them were at least for the bare bones investment in roads and bridges.

skatingguy

Golden Team
Interesting:
Increasing levels of distrust on the right in American politics affecting people's willingness to participate, or just a change in demographics that's been happening slowly for several decades. I guess we'll see when the final numbers are released.

ballettmaus

They seem to think voter suppression is easier to do than establish what they stand for. I don't know if it's true as they are encountering quite the resistence. But this way, they don't need to do town halls and don't need to worry about messaging and building anything from the ground up.

I find it surprising that there don't seem to be any young Republicans with a vision of what things should look like. (à la AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Pressley, Bush etc). They all seem to be in it either for the power or the facism.

caseyedwards

They had full power in 2017 and 2018 with the presidency, the House and the Senate. They passed the tax cut and the only other thing they tried to do was repeal Obamacare but without any proposal for health care to replace it. And they were hot to put justices on the Supreme Court so the Supreme Court could strike down liberal policies. That's basically it; they couldn't pass infrastructure legislation with a Republican president even though some of them were at least for the bare bones investment in roads and bridges.
Some of them but not any of the congressional leaders. They were trying to get total privatization going
There is too much division to get anything going. Most DC chamber of commerce people want total citizenship for all undocumented and lots more visas. That was boehner and McConnell’s goal in 2013.

also above republicans in DC chamber of commerce organizations want federal highway privatization

Now most Republican base voters to deport all undocumented and federal funding of massive road projects!!

lol

The RNC in 2013 post Romney loss tried to order all republicans to become amnesty supporters like Reagan. Literal amnesty.

how long can this continue?

There is absolutely no connection none none at all between DC republicans establishment chamber of commerce types and the trump voters

Alternative history is so fascinating- if boehner had followed his heart and not been scared after cantor loss republicans would have passed the biggest legalization of undocumented ever in 2013

Last edited:

Vagabond

I was thinking I'd vote for the least likely to win to take votes away from the Caitlyn Jenners and Larry Elders and that's who my husband recommended (Angelynne). I do like the idea of a write-in campaign for Kounalakis though.
I wrote in Kounalakis and mailed my ballot. :)

((((Angelyne))))

caseyedwards

But I think its important to make the point that there are plenty of voters out there interested in a variety of policies that are right of center: lower taxes, anti-abortion, limited government, more military spending and if they jettisoned the messages of white resentment and hostility to diversity, they'd have plenty of opportunities to compete honestly for voters. Of course, they'd have to stop allowing the most reactionary forces to control the party and the primaries and I don't know how that would happen.

There are basically two right of center proposals on every issue. Just because the republicans are so divided they can’t decide on any doesn’t mean there are none. Though I guess the effect of that is that there is none. But there is chamber of commerce and populist right wing.
Right wing chamber of commerce - legalize all undocumented
Right wing populist - deport all undocumented

right wing chamber of commerce - privatize all highway
Right wing populist -stimulus for roads

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Some people will panic either way. I feel so sorry for MD and DC they'll have to listen to that blowhard McAuliffe on the news every night again for the next several years, but I guess it's better to support the lesser of two evils. :lol:

ilovepaydays

Some people will panic either way. I feel so sorry for MD and DC they'll have to listen to that blowhard McAuliffe on the news every night again for the next several years, but I guess it's better to support the lesser of two evils. :lol:

MEH. It depends on how things have improved with the RPV. I still think that Virginia could be very winnable for the GOP if they knew what they were doing. I think after about 2010 their best campaign people either left to go to other parts of the country or went national. And things have gone downright incompetent and the Democrats have taken advantage of it.

IMHO (I live in Northern Virginia, BTW), both McAuliffe and Youngkin have some pretty lame campaign ads but Youngkin’s are literally some of the most boring I’ve ever seen. Which isn’t the best way to go if you’re the challenging party.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

IMHO (I live in Northern Virginia, BTW), both McAuliffe and Youngkin have some pretty lame campaign ads but Youngkin’s are literally some of the most boring I’ve ever seen. Which isn’t the best way to go if you’re the challenging party.
I don't like McAuliffe's ads either (and have only seen a couple of Youngkin but thought they were doing better with messaging). I think there's too much focus on check what I've done, Youngkin likes Trump and wish they'd more about what McAuliffe will do. Given the growth in population, he shouldn't rely on "people know me" because many voters may not know him.

The thought of a Trump-supporting, anti-mask, I-don't-care-if-you-get-vaccinated-and-contribute-to-the-spread-of-YKW, we-don't-need-to-address-climate-change, we-need-voting-restrictions Governor scares me. There are enough of them. Virginia doesn't need one of those and the US doesn't need another one. I'd go as far as saying the US can't afford another one.

caseyedwards

close race. Virginia was more anti trump kind of Republican than really conservative but democrats their are choosing to be more liberal than democrats In Massachusetts and New York. There has been no effort to be moderate. Every democrat is being 110% liberal and believing trump types can repulse enough to keep them winning. Plus you have Loudon county and it’s major CRT campaign making nationwide headlines. So maybe there could be backlash. So many republicans started voting for democrats and democrats started believing everyone in Virginia was more liberal than Bernie sanders and AOC

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

A new poll of likely voters on the Virginia governor's race:

McAuliffe (D) 50%
Youngkin (R) 41%
Undecided 6%

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information