US elections 2021-2022

VGThuy

Salt and sugar are two of the most major culprits of obesity and other health issues. There are both horribly addictive and feels like are in everything we consume in some capacity, especially the easy-to-make, "affordable", not time/labor consuming foods.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It's difficult sometimes even for doctors to address the issue. I overheard a woman complaining to her friend that her doctor had advised her to lose weight. (The woman clearly was significantly overweight.) The woman was offended and was looking for a new doctor.
Fatphobia in medicine is extremely real, and it can and has killed people. There are numerous stories of patients (almost always women) going to doctors complaining about health issues and being told "well if you just lost some weight you'd be fine" only to discover too late that there was actually a serious underlying health problem.

If a doctor's default position is "lose weight", they are a bad doctor, period.

As for some of the other suggestions, shaming fat people about being fat is proven not to work and even have the opposite effect. Shaming people about what food they choose is also proven not to work, and again likely to have the opposite effect. Labelling foods as "good" and "bad" based on some arbitrary criteria is unhelpful.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
@karne You are right. I once went to the doctor for an eye infection and got nothing but a lecture about weight. And that was back when I was thinner.

Allskate

It started with a typical tirade against fat people and a fat tax.
:rolleyes: Nobody went on a tirade against fat people, and I certainly didn't see anybody suggest a "fat tax." I said that I didn't think junk food should be exempt from sales taxes and that this should apply to everyone. Big difference. People should be able to discuss government policy relating to health without being subject to false and ad hominem accusations. If you disagree with sales taxes on junk food, then explain why without resorting to these kinds of false characterizations.

once_upon

Enough
:rolleyes: Nobody went on a tirade against fat people, and I certainly didn't see anybody suggest a "fat tax." I said that I didn't think junk food should be exempt from sales taxes and that this should apply to everyone. Big difference. People should be able to discuss government policy relating to health without being subject to false and ad hominem accusations. If you disagree with sales taxes on junk food, then explain why without resorting to these kinds of false characterizations.
I was not referring to you.

skipaway

Serious question. Why a rice cooker?

What could be easier than just cooking rice?

Rice & water, bit salt, bit olive oil in a regular pot. Bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and wait 20 minutes or more.

( And machines of all sorts are a pest to store and clean imo. )
I’ve never been able to cook rice in a pot…always too soupy or some rice grains uncooked. Then my friend gave me a rice cooker and it was life changing! I’m no longer afraid of rice :cheer:

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
I’ve never been able to cook rice in a pot…always too soupy or some rice grains uncooked. Then my friend gave me a rice cooker and it was life changing! I’m no longer afraid of rice :cheer:
I have a small rice cooker and it is my most used appliance! I will make a single portion of steamed rice to eat with a lemon pepper-coated chicken breast - that's one of my easiest, go-to meals - takes about 5 min prep and about 20 minutes to cook both.

Susan1

I have a small rice cooker and it is my most used appliance! I will make a single portion of steamed rice to eat with a lemon pepper-coated chicken breast - that's one of my easiest, go-to meals - takes about 5 min prep and about 20 minutes to cook both.
I buy the individual Minute Rices. Stick it in the microwave for a minute. Stir, add milk and sugar = warm snack.

caseyedwards

Seems like all the governments of the world have voluntarily chosen to eliminate all controls on immigration and whether it is Sweden or Italy or France people are voting for some controls again. Probably so many of these people Thought they were totally liberal people. But the sheer numbers and rapid loss of any control and integration has made them vote for border control people

Vagabond

Is it okay to post something here that isn't about cooking or body fat? :cautious:

Cheney also said she will campaign for Democrats to ensure that Republican candidates who promote election lies do not get elected.

Cheney was talking about the Arizona gubernatorial race, and how she will work to ensure that GOP nominee Kari Lake, the former television journalist who has become a leading voice behind Trump’s lies about election fraud, does not get elected.

“I’m going to do everything I can to make sure Kari Lake is not elected,” Cheney said.

When asked if that includes campaigning for Democrats, Cheney said, “Yes.”

I would like to see a list of other Democratic candidates for whom she will campaign.

Louis

Private citizen
I know it’s not the US elections, but the Italian results are another loud vote for xenophobia.

Italy is to the EU what Texas is to the US. Except Italy can't ship migrants elsewhere because the neighboring countries police the border, in defiance of the Schengen Agreement. Go to the train stations in Brenner(o) or the border at Ventimiglia, and you'll see a military operation designed to keep the migrants in Italy. All the while the EU restricts Italy's ability to do anything about the problem. But in its own act of Ron DeSantis-type defiance, the government will unofficially fast track Italian/EU passports for immigrants who promise to leave. Once they have the passport, EU free movement rules apply, and they can use those passports to go live in Germany - probably with a ticket paid by the Italian government. :lol:

None of this is an excuse to vote for Giorgia Meloni. But it is a warning for any larger entity that takes a "your problem - our rules" approach to a smaller entity: not only repeatedly ignoring the problem, but also actively creating barriers to the smaller entity taking action to solve the problem.

Milan and Turin obscure Italian national data, but the south of Italy is (still) among the poorest regions in Europe with massive youth (50+%) and other (20%+) unemployment. If Southern Italy were its own country, it would have the worst economic statistics in all of Europe; worse than Greece pre-bailout. It's the area of Europe least able to deal with an influx of immigration, yet it's the area most affected. It pains me to say it, but it's an area that probably should encourage emigration, not immigration. If you want more people in the U.S., create a visa category for Southern Italians - many of who are educated and speak English. While we're being woke, we can atone for past discrimination against Southern Italians (who were treated differently and as racially inferior in the US, and then shut out from most legal immigration paths in 1925).

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
I'm watching Rachel-it's enough to scare you to death. Only I think if you actually die, will be better than what's going to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information