US elections 2021-2022

MsZem

No one in Israel chooses a place to live because of the school district (although of course the schools in richer areas are better because the kids start out with more advantages.)
Not true, the quality of the local schools is a consideration for many. But it's not as extreme as in the US.

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
Nebraska plays Oklahoma in football this weekend. Huge rivalry.

Johnny Rodgers will be mentioned/honored a gazillion times for the 1972 game of the century win.

But Jim Pillen, Ne Governor Rep Candidate recovered several fumbles and THE fumble leading to a win in 1978.

Wonder how many billion times he will be mentioned. Essentially free political ad. Name recognition in November. Those die hard Husker.fans longing for glory days but are too young to know him - gosh isn't he great?

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
In CA, that Bluest of Blues states, the majority of public school funding comes from the state, not from property taxes.

I agree with that and I wonder how this happened and why it's so widespread.
Property taxes to support local schools in New England go back to colonization by Puritans. A law requiring towns to have schools was passed in Massachusetts in 1646.

The Puritans believed all children needed to learn to read so they could read the Bible.

There was minimal connection to central government at the time of a town's first school. A town would be founded, a church built, then a school.

Collecting taxes anyway but locally would be difficult in those days without many roads. Mail did not have a post road till 1673. Before that, there were footpaths, used by indigenous peoples, like the Pequot Trail, and the Mohawk Trail.

To this day, most services in New England are handled town by town. Counties only have a courthouse. They have no ability to collect taxes. There is an effort to have many things be more regional, but they are relatively recent.

Once things are set up one way, making changes is always a source of controversy.

My town's whole budget is primarily covered by real estate taxes. Renters are not taxed; their landlords are.

Vermont has made an effort to supply equality of education by redesigning the property tax system. Rich towns send money to the state which sends money to poorer towns.

Connecticut has a formula where state income taxes support education by being apportioned preferentially to poorer townships.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Nebraska plays Oklahoma in football this weekend. Huge rivalry.

Johnny Rodgers will be mentioned/honored a gazillion times for the 1972 game of the century win.

But Jim Pillen, Ne Governor Rep Candidate recovered several fumbles and THE fumble leading to a win in 1978.

Wonder how many billion times he will be mentioned. Essentially free political ad. Name recognition in November. Those die hard Husker.fans longing for glory days but are too young to know him - gosh isn't he great?
This state is so weird. I thought Tom Osborne was a shoo-in when he ran for governor, and he didn't even make it out of the primary.

Pillen is only slightly better than Herbster, but the Herbster people are all mad and whatnot. Pillen will win in November, but it'll be interesting to see how many votes he actually gets.

El Rey

After being eligible for almost three decades, I finally decided to apply for my US citizenship in March and will become a citizen on Wednesday! I live in Texas and can’t wait to vote against candidates, which this year is every single Republican. And I cannot wait to vote against Ted Cruz in 2024!!!! I consider myself a moderate who leans right on a lot of issues (including immigration and don’t get me started on Latinx…) but no way am I voting for anyone in the current Republican Party with their overt racist messaging.

caseyedwards

After being eligible for almost three decades, I finally decided to apply for my US citizenship in March and will become a citizen on Wednesday! I live in Texas and can’t wait to vote against candidates, which this year is every single Republican. And I cannot wait to vote against Ted Cruz in 2024!!!! I consider myself a moderate who leans right on a lot of issues (including immigration and don’t get me started on Latinx…) but no way am I voting for anyone in the current Republican Party with their overt racist messaging.
Isn’t it weird though that most democrats will call you racist for being to the right on immigration?

Congrats on citizenship

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Congratulations.

Susan1

Congratulations!!!!

Speaking of voting, Voter. Org has a site where you can check on your voter status. Suggest all should, especially if you live in a red state.
I mailed my absentee ballot request on September 8. I had it hand cancelled inside the post office. The website still doesn't have it. They do have the November election date on the pulldown menu now (after I mentioned it wasn't there?). I emailed the same guy today.

attyfan

Mazel tov!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
Congratulations

caseyedwards

Why on earth would they do that???? Republicans aren't "to the right on immigration". Republicans have no immigration policy.
It is not true they have no immigration policy. They don’t have a unified position because they are too divided to. I posted this Article before.

Most DC republicans want exactly what democrats want and what chamber of commerce and corporations want. They Usually include some red meat for the base though. Boehner could have passed exactly what the senate did in 2013 by using democrats and 40 50 republicans but was afraid. There are many republican policies

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
It is not true they have no immigration policy. They don’t have a unified position because they are too divided to. I posted this Article before.

Most DC republicans want exactly what democrats want and what chamber of commerce and corporations want. They Usually include some red meat for the base though. Boehner could have passed exactly what the senate did in 2013 by using democrats and 40 50 republicans but was afraid. There are many republican policies

The Republican Party has no stated policy on anything. They have no platform for this election. They'll do whatever Trump tells them to do.

caseyedwards

The Republican Party has no stated policy on anything. They have no platform for this election. They'll do whatever Trump tells them to do.
That’s only because they can’t agree on anything as a whole. So it’s candidate by candidate really.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
That’s only because they can’t agree on anything as a whole. So it’s candidate by candidate really.

No, it's because the party has no ideas, no plans, and no programs to work on the nation's problems. All they have to run on is to smear Democrats, and lie about them. They're offering the American people nothing, but the hateful rhetoric of the Trump cult.

caseyedwards

No, it's because the party has no ideas, no plans, and no programs to work on the nation's problems. All they have to run on is to smear Democrats, and lie about them. They're offering the American people nothing, but the hateful rhetoric of the Trump cult.
This is not true. I posted the bills. You can read them or not and disagree with them or not but to say there are no ideas is wrong. The point is there are like 2 or 3 opinions on every issue and they can’t unite on anything because they are divided so Badly between populists, conservatives, and neoconservatives. The party has never been so divided ever! And that’s saying something factoring in 1912 and 1976!

I mean name an issue and there are so many opinions.

Immigration- deporting populists vs amnesty cooperate

Health care - healthcare coops vs Hmo lobbyists

The party is divided on guns! Red flag vs no red flag

Abortion- federal vs state

Just name any

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
This is not true. I posted the bills. You can read them or not and disagree with them or not but to say there are no ideas is wrong. The point is there are like 2 or 3 opinions on every issue and they can’t unite on anything because they are divided so Badly between populists, conservatives, and neoconservatives. The party has never been so divided ever! And that’s saying something factoring in 1912 and 1976!

I mean name an issue and there are so many opinions.

Immigration- deporting populists vs amnesty cooperate

Health care - healthcare coops vs Hmo lobbyists

The party is divided on guns! Red flag vs no red flag

Abortion- federal vs state

Just name any

Opinions are irrelevant. The nation runs on policies, not opinions.

Democrats have just as many opinions on issues as Republicans, but they sit down and give voters a platform of programs they intend to implement if and when elected.

Trump said he had all kinds of health care plans, and plans for the Middle East, but you'd have to elect him to find out what was in them. Turns out Trump had NOTHING. Just a bunch of bumper sticker slogans. He didn't have a "better, cheaper healthcare plan for all". The Republican Senators had to hammer that one out.

Republicans cut taxes and run up the deficit, and then crash the economy. Three out of the last four Republican Presidents have simply been fiscal disasters.

The Republican Party needs to wander in the wilderness until they come up with a platform other than hating on and lying about Democrats.

caseyedwards

Opinions are irrelevant. The nation runs on policies, not opinions.

Democrats have just as many opinions on issues as Republicans, but they sit down and give voters a platform of programs they intend to implement if and when elected.

Trump said he had all kinds of health care plans, and plans for the Middle East, but you'd have to elect him to find out what was in them. Turns out Trump had NOTHING. Just a bunch of bumper sticker slogans. He didn't have a "better, cheaper healthcare plan for all". The Republican Senators had to hammer that one out.

Republicans cut taxes and run up the deficit, and then crash the economy. Three out of the last four Republican Presidents have simply been fiscal disasters.

The Republican Party needs to wander in the wilderness until they come up with a platform other than hating on and lying about Democrats.
Democrats do not disagree. If There is a problem they all say the same thing. More spending and govenement programs will solve it. They just argue over scale of the programs or spending.

Healthcare is a major issue but most DC republicans want to make profits for HMOs and drug companies as much as possible. But there is a different conservative view that says get rid of HMO have cost sharing cooperatives. This is why there was never a healthcare bill. You know McConnell would never pass a bill bad for HMOs! Promote private sometimes faith based cooperatives.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Democrats do not disagree. If There is a problem they all say the same thing. More spending and govenement programs will solve it. They just argue over scale of the programs or spending.

Healthcare is a major issue but most DC republicans want to make profits for HMOs and drug companies as much as possible. But there is a different conservative view that says get rid of HMO have cost sharing cooperatives. This is why there was never a healthcare bill. You know McConnell would never pass a bill bad for HMOs! Promote private sometimes faith based cooperatives.

Democrats do not disagree????? Are you being willfully blind???? Joe Manchin, Kristin Sinema???? Democrats from California and New York do not agree with Democrats from the Midwest or South. But they hammer out a platform and programs and campaign on that platform. House members from swing states are far more centrist than progressive.

You complain about government programs which have reduced poverty, fed poor children, and increased opportunities in poor neighbourhoods. The Republicans have cut taxes, reducing funding to public schools, cutting taxes for the wealthy, and increasing military spending to ridiculous proportions, but doing nothing for working Americans. You're running enormous deficits as a result, which Democrats keep cutting, and Republicans keep increasing.

Your life expectancy has been declining for the past 6 years - the only nation in the first world where this is happening, and what are Republicans focussed on??? Banning abortion, banning teaching about American history which might make white children "feel bad" about being white, and attacking trans people. School boards are focussed on helping children recover from two years of lockdowns and the challenges are enormous, but crazy Republicans are showing at board meeting to threaten teachers and board members over CRT, which isn't being taught at any public primary, middle or high school in the USA.

Republicans spend all of their time attacking Democrats with lies, half-truths, and conspiracy theories, because they have no platform to sell. We all know that you blame Biden for inflation, but what will Republicans do to combat inflation? Who knows? Not even Republicans, apparently.

In the last Canadian federal election, at the all candidates debate, the Conservative leader was asked about how his foreign policy would differ from the Liberals, and his response was to attack Trudeau. When the question was repeated as to what he would do differently than Trudeau, he launched into another attack on Trudeau. Just blaming Biden isn't enough. Tell us what YOU (Republicans) would do differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information