US elections 2021-2022

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
So now that Chasten Buttigieg has challenged J.D. Vance regarding his comments, I hope we will get plenty of ads in 2022 noting J.D. Vance's lack of vision. He obviously cannot picture gay couples having children. Or maybe those kids don't count, kind of like his own children's voices, since he apparently has such a sense of entitlement and privilege when it comes to taking charge of their votes and opinions.

Thinking about all this makes me reconsider how I need to respond to my little Trumper kitty. I guess I ought to be more accepting of her loud disgruntled meows to drain the swamp and not just make her get in line with the rest of the household. :lol:

ballettmaus

Did you see his Facebook page? It’s all about how much he loves Trump.
He still wasn't endorsed by Trump and considering that O'Donnell said tonight that Trump won the district by 12 points in 2016 and by 3 points in 2020, I'm guessing it's not Trump who got him over the finish line.

caseyedwards

He still wasn't endorsed by Trump and considering that O'Donnell said tonight that Trump won the district by 12 points in 2016 and by 3 points in 2020, I'm guessing it's not Trump who got him over the finish line.
It was probably the democrats and independents because obviously they could vote too! It’s like when all the republicans in California voted for Dianne Feinstein and Loretta Sanchez. So if it was democrats and independents and nevertrump voting against her- I Mean I have to see an exit poll if there is one on who won republicans

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races

Trying to register voters in Georgia-the Obama canvassers are on the case.

And yes, Georgia is trying to suppress the black vote.

Vagabond

McCarthy went on to say that, should the GOP manage to flip the House in 2022 and if he were to become the speaker, he would find it difficult to resist hitting Pelosi with the speaker's gavel
One more reason to vote Democratic in 2022.

clairecloutier

There's a long article in The New Yorker about the Republican/rightist dark money groups that are funding challenges to the 2020 election and trying to push for state laws that would essentially allow state legislatures to invalidate or override the popular vote. The Heritage Foundation is big into this effort, along with other rightwing groups. They are challenging the 2020 election to lay the groundwork for potentially stealing the 2022 or 2024 elections.

The article is important but quite depressing. What I find most discouraging about the whole situation is that so few people seem to be aware of or care about what's going on. Even among Dems, I feel like we are talking about everything else but this, it seems. It's incredibly, incredibly frustrating to me personally. I really feel quite hopeless about it. We're not doing anything to stop it. We aren't. That means it will go forward and happen, probably.

clairecloutier

I don't know what you mean. The ALCU and other groups are challenging these laws everywhere and I'm constantly being asked to do things to get voting rights measures passed in Congress.

But nothing has actually happened in Congress. We have a new voting rights/elections bill being put together according to Manchin's framework. As of now, I don't think a single Republican will support it, and Manchin is still opposed to ending the filibuster. Essentially, Congress is spinning its wheels. Yes, we have court appeals from ALCU and Marc Elias's group. But we also have a lot of Republican judges on the bench now and a Supreme Court that has shown time and again that it will not act to stop gerrymandering and voter suppression.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The 2022 elections are where this can be stopped, or at least dialed back. If Dems don't win at all levels, we're in trouble. They have to win the House and Senate, and at the state level where ever possible.

Passing the infrastructure bill is going to give Biden a lot to campaign on for Dems that people will hear.

ETA: I agree with @MacMadame the ACLU is working on this stuff, and they have a lot of money and can always use more.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Nothing has been passed. That doesn't mean nothing is happening. You said no one is doing anything about it. People are doing things. It sounds like they just aren't doing what you want them to which is different.
I think the problem is that they haven't succeeded yet in what they are trying to do. We are at continuing risk. I wish we weren't, but I actually think sufficient efforts are being made, its just hard given how thin a margin the Dems have in Congress and how out of power they are in states.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think the problem is that they haven't succeeded yet in what they are trying to do. We are at continuing risk. I wish we weren't, but I actually think sufficient efforts are being made, its just hard given how thin a margin the Dems have in Congress and how out of power they are in states.
I also think sufficient efforts are being made. The sorts of things you have to do to combat these efforts are not showy though.

clairecloutier

I don't think sufficient efforts are being made. Congress and the Administration are spending a huge amount of time and political capitol on infrastructure, when they should have focused on voting rights/elections IMO. I don't see either sufficient efforts or any results.

clairecloutier

And there's this--Texas will offer voter registration through the DMV (concurrent with license renewal):

Small wins, I guess.

But I will not feel okay until this happens: https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock/status/1422198248446382086

Bless Senator Warnock, BTW. He continues to put the voting issue front and center in his social media. And I know that he has met personally with Manchin about the issue, to try to persuade him to action. I guess if he still has hope, I should too.

ballettmaus

But I will not feel okay until this happens: https://twitter.com/ReverendWarnock/status/1422198248446382086

Bless Senator Warnock, BTW. He continues to put the voting issue front and center in his social media. And I know that he has met personally with Manchin about the issue, to try to persuade him to action. I guess if he still has hope, I should too.
He's also leading an effort to write a narrower Senate voting rights bill that Manchin can support (and Sinema will probably oppose just because). https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5b93fc-efc5-11eb-81d2-ffae0f931b8f_story.html

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Tomorrow is the big day! The vile ads for OH-15 GOPs will finally end when the polls close. There are ten candidates, which theoretically means someone could actually win with as little as 11% of the low voter turnout vote.

The names to watch are Carey (Trump endorsed big energy lobbyist bad guy) & LaRe (Stivers endorsed law and order candidate for his former seat.) Stivers was a well liked official in his district and not a Trump lover. Cross your fingers and let's hope Trump loses this one like he did for the candidate he endorsed in TX.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
What's up with Youngkin pulling out of debates? What's the idea behind that strategy? https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/...candidate-glenn-youngkin-declines-invitation/
My guess: He doesn't want to be nailed down to any position because he wants to be a Trumpist to the Trumpists and still fool enough other people to win votes.

Whatever one wants to say about McAuliffe at least you know exactly what you are getting. Youngkin is the greasiest slimiest type of politician who wants to talk out of all sides of his mouth, but since that is too dangerous he doesn't want to talk at all.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well the Post says in fact Youngkin does have one policy: cut taxes, or preferably eliminate the state income tax. And why? Because the state's economy is "in the ditch."

Except its not:

What makes Mr. Youngkin’s proposal even more preposterous is that Virginia’s economy is robust. Unemployment is significantly below the national average. Residents’ tax burden is squarely in the middle of the nationwide pack. The state government is running a $2 billion budget surplus, boasts a AAA bond rating (putting it in the top dozen states nationally) and is regularly ranked among the best states for business.

Youngkin "made a fortune in private equity" and all he cares about is trying to lower taxes on the wealthy. He doesn't care about what that would do to the services the state needs. The Post asks, "But what businesses, and which employees, would flock to a state that would decimate its tax base, thereby starving schools, roads, health care, parks, prisons and police of resources?"

The Post also notes that Youngkin is the candidate for defunding the police, given that he wants to vastly reduce state revenues that pay for police among many other things.

Meanwhile Youngkin is trying to convince the Trumpists that he's a rightwing "populist," not like those elitists over there like Terry McAuliffe. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Washington Post Editorial:

Glenn Youngkin’s economic plan would run Virginia ‘into a ditch’

olympic

Zombie lie since 1980 - tax cuts, tax cuts, tax cuts will always resolve any economic issue

ballettmaus

Whatever one wants to say about McAuliffe at least you know exactly what you are getting. Youngkin is the greasiest slimiest type of politician who wants to talk out of all sides of his mouth, but since that is too dangerous he doesn't want to talk at all.
Youngkin worries me. He's a joke but at the same time, he needs to be taken seriously. I hope McAuliffe has a really goot GOTV strategy and doesn't take anything for granted.

Well the Post says in fact Youngkin does have one policy: cut taxes, or preferably eliminate the state income tax. And why? Because the state's economy is "in the ditch."

Except its not:
It never is when Republicans claim it is, is it?

But I think Republicans have an easy time campaigning on the economy because someone somewhere years ago decided that Republicans were good for the economy and Democrats couldn't do economy and the MSM has repeated it for so long that far too many people believe it. (I mean, look at what they did in 2020; economic analysis said Biden was better for the economy in the longterm and pundits were still going on about how Republicans are good for the economy and I never saw a single TV host (or fellow pundit) challenge them).

ErikWilliam

I think it's an absurd suggestion from Vance but he isn't saying people without children should not have a vote. His idea is to give votes to all the children in this country, but give control over those votes to the parents of the children. So Kagan and Sotomayor would have one vote, and the Duggar mother would have 19.
Except he hasn't exactly thought through this. Imagine every "welfare queen" unwed mother who has fifteen kids gets to vote 16 times in an election. And her 15 kids have 15 kids, etc etc. Sounds like the "welfare queens" will win this battle, because they have the most votes and will vote for more welfare. More kids= More votes. Which translates to higher welfare checks, more $$ for every child. Isn't that how it works? Not sure he'd like welfare queens dictating elections. (sarcasm)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
But I think Republicans have an easy time campaigning on the economy because someone somewhere years ago decided that Republicans were good for the economy and Democrats couldn't do economy and the MSM has repeated it for so long that far too many people believe it.

I don't think Republicans have ever been the party trusted on the economy. They are trusted not to raise your taxes, but in the past it was always the Democrats who were better on the economy and Republicans were seen as the party of national security. Republicans won the proverbial suburban housewives because they were "strong on terrorism."

Then economy crashed on Bush's watch.

Ever since then I think that the country has been just divided into Republican (and leaning) and Democrat (and leaning). I don't think anyone who isn't Republican leaning thinks they are better on the economy. Republican voters resolutely believe that the economy is awful when Democrats are in office but that's not the same thing as there being some conventional wisdom about this.

Really the split is much more about larger and smaller government if its about policy at all.

In any case, I just don't think McAuliffe has particularly high negatives which Youngkin would need to make inroads. Youngkin has tied himself to Trump even while trying not to. I don't see how he convinces voters in the DC exurbs that he's something different from people like Cuccinelli who they had no use for.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Since this race has attracted some national attention, Shontel Brown has apparently won and Nina Turner has lost in the Dem primary in Ohio Eleventh:

Refusing to say whether you voted for the Democrat for president in 2016, thus helping enable the reign of the Death Yam, is no way to endear yourself to Dem primary voters. No matter how many Twitter likes your supporters get. :shuffle:

olympic

Since this race has attracted some national attention, Shontel Brown has apparently won and Nina Turner has lost in the Dem primary in Ohio Eleventh:

Refusing to say whether you voted for the Democrat for president in 2016, thus helping enable the reign of the Death Yam, is no way to endear yourself to Dem primary voters. No matter how many Twitter likes your supporters get. :shuffle:
I just read that the 'establishment' won the primary against the 'progressive'. IDK, Sometimes, there is a certain self-righteousness among Progressive candidates, like no one except them is working hard enough to change the world, and a naivete about the sausage-making process in legislation (AOC this week screaming that Biden needs to 'do something' about the eviction moratorium, like did she not understand it was a SCOTUS / CDC issue?). I think voters sense that ...

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I just read that the 'establishment' won the primary against the 'progressive'. IDK, Sometimes, there is a certain self-righteousness among Progressive candidates, like no one except them is working hard enough to change the world, and a naivete about the sausage-making process in legislation (AOC this week screaming that Biden needs to 'do something' about the eviction moratorium, like did she not understand it was a SCOTUS / CDC issue?). I think voters sense that ...

darn those shrill progressives actually thinking they have a role in the the political happenings.

Funny how AOC and the others actually got Biden to act. What a shame. Shouldn't they just shut up and let the moderates take care of everything. What do they think they were elected for?

Cori Bush slept outside the Capitol to protest evictions. Democrats credited her for the renewed protections.

Apparently Biden didn't understand that he couldn't do anything either: https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/08/03/white-house-evictions-democrats/ Trigger Warning: link contains alarming picture of Chuck Schumer hugging AOC as they celebrate the extension of the moratorim.

In any case. Nina Turner lost because of who she was personally. She ran her mouth in very nasty ways and burned every bridge. So the people she torched came after her with a vengeance.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I agree @BlueRidge— I feel like the Nina Turner loss was really more about candidate quality than progressivism. I didn’t follow the race closely but I know that Turner had burned a lot of bridges personally. And wasn’t she unable to say that she’d voted for Hillary in 2016? I mean, that’s baseline IMO. I fully understand not being thrilled with Hillary but you cannot in my mind not have voted for her in the 2016 general, especially as a politician. If you didn’t vote for her in 2016, it means you’re a burn-the-house-down type essentially (my view) and that doesn’t work for an actual politician.

But of course centrists have to seize on this result and act like it validates every last stance of theirs. 🙄. When really I think this one was about Turner herself. And not to mention that OH is a conservative state anyway and not exactly fertile ground for a progressive.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I agree @BlueRidge— I feel like the Nina Turner loss was really more about candidate quality than progressivism. I didn’t follow the race closely but I know that Turner had burned a lot of bridges personally. And wasn’t she unable to say that she’d voted for Hillary in 2016? I mean, that’s baseline IMO. I fully understand not being thrilled with Hillary but you cannot in my mind not have voted for her in the 2016 general, especially as a politician. If you didn’t vote for her in 2016, it means you’re a burn-the-house-down type essentially (my view) and that doesn’t work for an actual politician.

But of course centrists have to seize on this result and act like it validates every last stance of theirs. 🙄. When really I think this one was about Turner herself. And not to mention that OH is a conservative state anyway and not exactly fertile ground for a progressive.
Turner was going to win the primary until powerful forces in the party--particularly the Congressional Black Caucus--got behind the other candidate. Turner's progressive politics were in tune with the district. But she had huge baggage from her recent past dissing everyone up to and including Biden. Many in the party just did not want her.

I think that Shontel Brown will be a good rep and will likely be quite liberal to represent her district. What she won't be is a mud-slinger, and that's a good thing.

Hopefully Turner's loss will be a warning to progressives about the need to work within the party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information