US elections 2021-2022

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
Don Bacon's latest ad on Gas prices, Nancy Pelosi/Joe Bidens shut down of pipelines, etc is so filled wit out right lies, I sent him an email asking if he had no shame.

I totally expect a "I'm so glad to hear from my constitutes. I know that Nebraskans like you are concerned with high gas prices. Be assured I am committed to working for hard working Nebraskans like you"

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Haven't seen whether anyone has posted about the various Democratic orgs such as the Democratic Governors Assn and some PACs that are using millions to promote far right candidates in Republican primaries.

First of all, some of these candidates are going to win so the idea that this is the Democrats playing hardball when they need to at best blows up in its own face. Second of all, even if these candidates don't win, putting up ads to promote them in one way or another is the same as joining forces with them to promote their far right messages. It is helping spread election denial and hateful ideas.

What it shows is that the Democratic Party is infested with unethical cynical power chasers who have no more concern for the country than Trumpists. This an indication of how sick our politics is.

The NY Times editorializes against this A Cynical Low for the Democratic Party (gifted).

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan called this out after some Democrats helped the far right candidate win in the Republican primary for governor in Maryland. The candidate is not likely to win and probably is easier for Democrats to defeat. But that candidate now has a major megaphone as the nominee for far right messages and election denial. That is a loss for all of us and the country.

clairecloutier

If @Louis lived here, maybe he would notice how many grandmas and grandads are out there bagging groceries and doing other jobs these days. Guess those gov’t benefits aren’t so generous after all? 😒

My husband and I are Gen X and we’ve been paying into SS our whole working lives. It better be there for us when we retire. We’ve done our share.

Louis

Private citizen
If @Louis lived here, maybe he would notice how many grandmas and grandads are out there bagging groceries and doing other jobs these days. Guess those gov’t benefits aren’t so generous after all? 😒

I spend 1-2 months a year in the US and see plenty of this. There are many reasons for it, and it's not a bad thing.

My husband and I are Gen X and we’ve been paying into SS our whole working lives. It better be there for us when we retire. We’ve done our share.

I've paid into SSI during my working life, too*. Problem is that the government has spent your share, my share, and everyone else's share recklessly -- giving overly generous benefits today that leave nothing for us later. Since at least the early 2000s, Republicans have been calling for partial privatization** and means testing. That seems like a fair solution to me - recasting SSI as a combination of forced retirement savings that are yours, no matter what, and old age insurance.

*I have paid enough into SSI (> 40 quarters) to get benefits. I know there is a US-UK tax treaty on this matter, so (in theory) I will get SSI somehow. I am not sure if I would get SSI, UK pension, or a portion for each. I haven't investigated it and don't build it into my plans because I'm assuming I'll get neither, as both will have gone bust or means testing will get introduced just in time to screw me.

**While I emphaticallly favor partial privitization, I do not support turning this into another 401k or IRA as some Republicans would like to do. I guess I favor ring-fencing more than anything else, so that the government cannot spend all of your money on others. I might be OK with a Social Security exemption -- i.e., people who have a retirement account balance deemed sufficient to cover their needs would not need to pay Social Security, but could instead pay a minimal tax.

BittyBug

Disgusted
I guess I favor ring-fencing more than anything else, so that the government cannot spend all of your money on others.
Social Security is not a traditional defined benefit plan, where assets are accumulated today to pay for future benefits tomorrow - it's a pay as you go system and was designed as such. The whole design is precisely to spend all of "your" money on others today, and others will pay for you tomorrow. It's a social contract to pay it forward.

Now, it is true that with increased longevity and shifting demographics, this design is not sustainable and therefore changes need to be made, but the program is not and never has been an individual or even group account where you could identify "your money."

But one of the problems with making changes to Social Security is that while Social Security was never intended to be a sole source of retirement income - it was designed to provide a "basic floor of protection" - for too many seniors it is their only source of income. How did we get to this point? The dissolution of private pension plans that historically provided annuities, the shift away from union jobs that historically provided (and frequently still do) a traditional pension, a shift towards outsourcing non-essential jobs so that roles like maintenance, cleaning and security are now outsourced to companies that compete based on cost and therefore pay their workers little and offer minimum benefits (whereas these workers used to be employees of the company and received company benefits), and an increasing employment gap where too many people are stuck in low and minimum wage jobs while CEOs make XXX% more than their lowest paid worker. In other words, our Social Security ills are a reflection of our income inequality ills.

I'll point out further that this is part of an escalating trend within the U.S. for private companies to shift their risk onto the public. No more taking care of your workers - you offer the minimum to get by and not a penny more - and let the states / Feds pick up the slack. Just look at the number of Walmart employees who receive some type of government assistance. Of course, you could argue that these companies are fulfilling their fiduciary obligation to maximize return for their shareholders, but then government needs to step in to pick up the slack, which requires tax revenue, and you've got those same corporatists pushing for more tax breaks. And the minute you institute a means test for Social Security so that it becomes more of a wage distribution rather than a universal benefit, the anti-tax lobby is going to come after it.

Anyway, my proposed solution is not privatization but rather socialization, like many European countries. Basic welfare should not be dependent on one's luck in life station or type of job available. The government should be providing healthcare and basic retirement for everyone (the former could still be delivered privately - I'm talking about the funding), and our taxes should be adjusted to fund this.

Dobre

Haven't seen whether anyone has posted about the various Democratic orgs such as the Democratic Governors Assn and some PACs that are using millions to promote far right candidates in Republican primaries.
I appreciated this post on the topic:

I cannot read all of it, but I . . .

1. Wanted to know about these ads and what they were really like. (Turns out--at least in the race for Peter Meijer--they tell the public how extreme the extremist candidates are. They are negative ads).

2. Agree that it's dangerous during a primary. The article says the reason these ads helped Meijer's opponent was that they raised the man's profile, and it says Democrats knew that would happen. Anyway, I agree it's a bad thing. I live in a conservative area, and I can see how scary this is for people in purple districts & states. (I assume these ads were in more competitive districts with competitive Democrats running or that the money wouldn't have been spent).

3. But I also agree with the author of this post, and I really appreciate him saying it because give me a break. These extremists were chosen by Republican voters. No one made them choose these people. In fact, it sounds like they were more educated about the dangers of voting for these extremist candidates and the voters voted for them exactly because of the extremist views held by the candidates.

(Not something that happens only in purple states or districts where these ads were shown).

4. Also, the writer points out moderate Republicans did nothing to support Meijer. As far as we know, they didn't spend any money defending him.

5. Even knowing that he would have been more competitive than the alternative, there's no evidence that McConnell sent money his way. They are all too afraid to support a person who impeached Trump.

6. And Meijer, himself, is right now busy blaming Democrats. He's not blaming fascism. He's not trying to educate the voters in his area. He's not telling them that the Republican nominee is super dangerous & they should vote for a non-Republican candidate because the guy who ran against him is dangerous.

So, yeah, there's a lot of blame to go around here. First, on the voters who were informed and made the wrong choice. Second, on pretty much everybody else.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing

1. Wanted to know about these ads and what they were really like. (Turns out--at least in the race for Peter Meijer--they tell the public how extreme the extremist candidates are. They are negative ads).

2. Agree that it's dangerous during a primary. The article says the reason these ads helped Meijer's opponent was that they raised the man's profile, and it says Democrats knew that would happen. Anyway, I agree it's a bad thing. I live in a conservative area, and I can see how scary this is for people in purple districts & states. (I assume these ads were in more competitive districts with competitive Democrats running or that the money wouldn't have been spent).

3. But I also agree with the author of this post, and I really appreciate him saying it because give me a break. These extremists were chosen by Republican voters. No one made them choose these people. In fact, it sounds like they were more educated about the dangers of voting for these extremist candidates and the voters voted for them exactly because of the extremist views held by the candidates.

(Not something that happens only in purple states or districts where these ads were shown).

4. Also, the writer points out moderate Republicans did nothing to support Meijer. As far as we know, they didn't spend any money defending him.

5. Even knowing that he would have been more competitive than the alternative, there's no evidence that McConnell sent money his way. They are all too afraid to support a person who impeached Trump.

6. And Meijer, himself, is right now busy blaming Democrats. He's not blaming fascism. He's not trying to educate the voters in his area. He's not telling them that the Republican nominee is super dangerous & they should vote for a non-Republican candidate because the guy who ran against him is dangerous.

So, yeah, there's a lot of blame to go around here. First, on the voters who were informed and made the wrong choice. Second, on pretty much everybody else.
What the DNC did to Meijer was dangerous and stupid. Meijer had the support of the mainstream Republican power brokers in Kent County (DeVos et al), but there is a pretty powerful groundswell of Uber-conservatives out there right now that are fired up
and consider themselves patriots who need to crush the GOP establishment. Between their grass roots efforts and the DNC’s meddling, their crazy election denier candidate got through the primary. If the DNC thought that seat was vulnerable, they have another think coming. The grass roots are fired up and they will vote. I think the traditional Republicans will sit on their hands and leave that office blank on their ballot. There’s not enough Dems there.

Michigan GOP politics are in a really bad place right now. I fully expect all of the GOP statewide candidates to be election deniers after the convention later this month. Including the governor nominee who has pivoted and is trying to deny her denying.

It’s bad here and the DNC made it worse.

ETA: The DNC did this to a guy who was bipartisan and willing to go against his party to impeach Trump.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

They are not negative ads at all. They are negative to liberals but not republicans. How is it a negative ad in a republican primary to say Gibbs supports trumps border policies? This is what democrats were saying in their ads about Gibbs. He supports trumps immigration policies, that trump “hand picked” him. That’s not negative.

Conservative republicans gave meijer millions of dollars. Gibbs had no money for tv-none . All his money for tv came from democrats.

Mcconnel and all Scott are supporting Lisa murkowski

Cheney is a special case because her job was to do one thing- attack BIDEN relentlessly to help elect republicans. She chose never to attack Biden to focus entirely on trump. How can that be? It’s crazy for a republican leader to do when there’s a democrat as president. If all she planned to do was attack trump she should have resigned her leadership position. But then she even took assignments from pelosi. That’s why McCarthy and Scalise endorsed hageman but they all endorsed meijer

Last edited:

PRlady

Fair point re: Gen X, though I do think there’s a big difference between the beginning and end of that generation.

In any case, it’s an outrage that social security recipients get an 11% raise while younger workers remain stuck in stagflation. All because of a pandemic where we had to protect the elderly.

For too long anything dealing with the elderly has been off the table. It needs to be back on the table. No one is saying grandma needs to eat cat food, but she needs to be means tested; she may need to cut back on her luxuries; and she may have to work an extra year or two if able and not yet retired.

And for all of the talk about late millennials and Gen Z, there’s no way I would have wanted to grow up in that generation. So much that was accessible to me, as an XY, seems so much harder for them.
There’s an 11% raise for Social Security next year?! I had no idea. That’s awfully high, and I’m a beneficiary.

Most Boomers I know were locked out of the housing market themselves in boom phases and squeezed in during busts. I didn’t own anything til I was 36, my millennial daughter beat me by four years. I graduated into the Reagan recession and watched my retirement savings drop dramatically in the Great Recession, and I’m one of the relatively privileged ones.

Generational warfare being what it is, I don’t expect understanding until younger Xers and millennials are in their 50s and 60s. Medicare is already full of expensive holes and no one can afford long-term care policies anymore. Bankrupt us and we will have to move into your spare rooms without any health support…

I’m not asking for forgiveness for not having the good grace to get sick and die during pre-vaccine CoVID. Especially since my parents did.

clairecloutier

Pretty stunning here ... Dick Cheney has done a new political ad for his daughter Liz, in which he directly says that Trump tried to steal the 2020 election and that Trump is the biggest threat to the country in American history.

I cannot get behind endorsing the Cheneys in any way, but this is definitely a hugely bold move in the current Republican political environment. :eek:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Kari Lake and Blake Master who were endorsed by Trump both won their primaries in AZ. This is scary. Republicans have already started attacking Katie Hobbs, the democratic candidate for Governor. I hope Mark Kelly can retain his Senate seat against Masters. He is running a good and clean campaign. I want Hobbs to win the Gov seat but Kari Lake is an image of Trump. Republicans have started spreading nasty rumors about Hobbs. I am worried because I am not impressed by her campaign ads. They are too soft. Lake is an attack dog and usually those types win. If Lake becomes AZ Gov I will definitely leave AZ.

If Beto pulls off a victory in Texas, I may consider moving there but California is much more attractive. I will need to win the lottery though to afford it.

Last edited:

Susan1

Pretty stunning here ... Dick Cheney has done a new political ad for his daughter Liz, in which he directly says that Trump tried to steal the 2020 election and that Trump is the biggest threat to the country in American history.

I cannot get behind endorsing the Cheneys in any way, but this is definitely a hugely bold move in the current Republican political environment. :eek:
Except now they are calling him a RINO too. Yeah, sure.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I saw Dick Cheney's ad on tv. It is good. Wyoming will always be a red state. I would rather it be a Cheney Red than a Trump red.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

First of all, some of these candidates are going to win so the idea that this is the Democrats playing hardball when they need to at best blows up in its own face. Second of all, even if these candidates don't win, putting up ads to promote them in one way or another is the same as joining forces with them to promote their far right messages. It is helping spread election denial and hateful ideas.

What it shows is that the Democratic Party is infested with unethical cynical power chasers who have no more concern for the country than Trumpists. This an indication of how sick our politics is.

The NY Times editorializes against this A Cynical Low for the Democratic Party (gifted).

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan called this out after some Democrats helped the far right candidate win in the Republican primary for governor in Maryland. The candidate is not likely to win and probably is easier for Democrats to defeat. But that candidate now has a major megaphone as the nominee for far right messages and election denial. That is a loss for all of us and the country.
Democrats are playing with fire by putting money into the candidate they see it as easier to beat. That never works out. They need to put all their energies and resources in to their own candidates.

caseyedwards

I saw Dick Cheney's ad on tv. It is good. Wyoming will always be a red state. I would rather it be a Cheney Red than a Trump red.
I’d much rather it be trumpist than neocon. With their Iraq wars and stuff. Cheneys joined dangerous neocon death cult. He has nothing in common with the Cheney who was elected to congress in 1978

Spikefan

At the Hubbell Salon
If Beto pulls off a victory in Texas, I may consider moving there but California is much more attractive. I will need to win the lottery though to afford it.
Have you considered New Mexico? I have retired family that live in Las Cruces and they love it, short drive to El Paso airport.

I no longer give to the Dem party or PACS as I don’t want my money promoting Christo fascists. I will give to specific candidates and that is it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m not asking for forgiveness for not having the good grace to get sick and die during pre-vaccine CoVID. Especially since my parents did.
Word to that.

Retirement should be something you look forward to as you shift away from a job you have to do to doing things that fulfill you IMO. Instead, it's scary. You don't know if you are going to have enough to cover basic expenses, let alone some extra for discretionary spending.

And Louis may be okay with "grandma" working at Walmart but I am not. (Unless she is doing it for a bit of pocket money or to get out of the house.) After living a full life, putting into the system, putting into your family or the community or both, people should be able to have some years where all those people they took care of all those years -- their companies, their family, their community, their government -- value them and make sure they are taken care of.

I guess I am old-fashioned about some things even as I get more radical with age.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Have you considered New Mexico? I have retired family that live in Las Cruces and they love it, short drive to El Paso airport.

I no longer give to the Dem party or PACS as I don’t want my money promoting Christo fascists. I will give to specific candidates and that is it.
Too far and too rural. I have family on the west coast. It's different with Texas.

Bouffantrex

Word to that.

Retirement should be something you look forward to as you shift away from a job you have to do to doing things that fulfill you IMO. Instead, it's scary. You don't know if you are going to have enough to cover basic expenses, let alone some extra for discretionary spending.

And Louis may be okay with "grandma" working at Walmart but I am not. (Unless she is doing it for a bit of pocket money or to get out of the house.) After living a full life, putting into the system, putting into your family or the community or both, people should be able to have some years where all those people they took care of all those years -- their companies, their family, their community, their government -- value them and make sure they are taken care of.

I guess I am old-fashioned about some things even as I get more radical with age.
PREACH IT SISTER!!

While Louis may look forward to cashiering at WalMart twenty hours a week, at 75 years old, to make end's meet, I am not.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
This week J.D. Vance started running his first ad of the summer. His wife introduces him as a wonderful human being raised by the loving Mamaw after he was abandoned by the absent parents. Ad shows scene with Glenn Close along with real family photos. I wonder if the wife mentioned Hillbilly Elegy to hawk some books sales, so people can buy a memoir like a MAGA Trump hat, but this could backfire. Did she want to give an example of Vance's view regarding why violent spouses should stay married for the children? The book details how Mamaw poured gas on grandpa and set him on fire on the couch. The 9 or 10 yr old daughter had to put the fire out to save him. Loving Mamaw? How about child abusing Mamaw, and child abusing (violent drunk) grandpa instead? But no trauma for kids with that kind of stuff going on x 100 according to Vance. Next we'll have Jim Jordan doing a fundraiser for him.

Later this week Vance visited the state fair for some meet and greet handshaking, but he may have eaten too many fried Twinkies and turned his brain to mush while he was there; because when he was pressed by the press about all the GOP no votes on the veteran legislation, he actually announced he didn't even really know what the legislation is about. He's a veteran running for a seat that starts in January. If not now, when??!! It's the lowest hanging fruit and a mish-mash of weasel words was the best he could offer.

Allskate

Too far and too rural. I have family on the west coast. It's different with Texas.
I'm in the same boat. Trying to figure out where on the West Coast I can afford to retire to be somewhat near friends/family and not be in a rural area with a bunch of Trumpsters and poor health care.

And after working hard for many years and saving and contributing to Social Security, I shouldn't have to work at Walmart to be able to afford whatever medicine I end up needing. It infuriates me that so many members of Congress oppose Medicare being able to negotiated prescription prices. They argue that the companies need more money for R&D, but other countries pay less that we do and pharmaceutical companies seem to have more than enough cash for stock buybacks and dividends. American seniors should not be subsidizing drug prices for everyone else, including hte rest of the world.

I read J.D. Vance's book. I didn't like him then and questioned how honest he was being. He definitely seemed to have a chip on his shoulder. I had no interest in watching the movie. I reallllly don't like him now.

Louis

Private citizen

And how the heck do you think younger people feel, whose retirement years will come at a time where Social Security is projected to be insolvent?

After living a full life, putting into the system, putting into your family or the community or both, people should be able to have some years where all those people they took care of all those years -- their companies, their family, their community, their government -- value them and make sure they are taken care of.

Even if it means that their children and grandchildren will have to work until they’re 90 or 100, and / or never have any of the things that their parents had because of crippling levels of taxation far beyond what their parents ever paid. Selfish, selfish, selfish.

Yeah, it’s clear you’re in it for yourself.

The situation sucks. I’m adamant that EVERYONE must contribute financially to fixing it. No exempting old people who are able to pay and/or work. We’ve done too much of that already. What’s good for your children and grandchildren should be good for you, too.

Susan1

Word to that.

Yeah, my parents both worked till they were 65. My dad worked at the Chrysler plant for 30 years. They had their social security, his pension and full benefits, then Medicare (and his Chrysler benefits covered whatever Medicare didn't). My mom could not have survived on her secretarial job social security alone, and she could not have worked at Walmart. When my dad died he was making almost as much as I was at my full time office job. No debts, no money worries. That was 2007. Who works one place till they are 65 anymore and has excellent retirement and benefits? Blame businesses and government greed.

Dobre

Not good.

Kent cuts into Herrera Beutler’s lead in Washington congressional race, trails by 257 votes​

On Joe Kent,

"Kent has campaigned as a 'Stop the Steal'-style candidate on Donald Trump’s 'America First' platform, positions that apparently caught the eye of the former president, who has endorsed him.

Kent insists the 2020 election was rigged, and has rationalized the violence on Jan. 6, 2021, by claiming that an otherwise peaceful crowd was infiltrated by Deep State agents provocateurs. In September, he spoke at a rally in Washington, D.C., in support of people accused of storming the Capitol, urging the release of what he called 'political prisoners.'"

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was thinking about New Mexico too. It seems saner than Arizona these days.

Who works one place till they are 65 anymore and has excellent retirement and benefits?
Not me! I have stayed in places way longer than average for my industry but even so, the days of having a pension are over.

Susan1

Not me! I have stayed in places way longer than average for my industry but even so, the days of having a pension are over.

Depends on where you work. Both corporations where I worked, I was vested at 5 years. Small companies, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information