US elections 2021-2022

caseyedwards

Rashida tlaib continues to do horribly (based on historical standards) in primaries! Only 56% of democrats. Bluntly said she just can’t win over lots of African Americans

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Heard that Eric Grietens just lost his primary.
Eric Schmitt is not better, just knows how to do his crimes legally.

Sadly the Democrat that had momentum is likely to lose to a Busch (Budweiser) heiress who got into the race late and went to white supremacy balls as a youth. I think she was a plant to guarantee a Republican win come November (not that it takes much around here).

caseyedwards

Eric Schmitt is not better, just knows how to do his crimes legally.

Sadly the Democrat that had momentum is likely to lose to a Busch (Budweiser) heiress who got into the race late and went to white supremacy balls as a youth. I think she was a plant to guarantee a Republican win come November (not that it takes much around here).
Lots of democrats did racist things in the past. Biden supported a klan leader for senate democratic leader. She didn’t do anything like that

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Ad for Nikki Fried, the woman who is running against DeSantis, for governor:

Love ❤️ how she points out that she would be the first female governor of Florida without saying a word about it.
She is not running against DeSantis yet--she must win the primary against Crist first.

Honestly, this ad seems tailored to the liberal blue checks on Twitter, but I doubt it resonates with a substantial number of voters in Florida.

caseyedwards

There has a been a really catastrophic election failure in Arizona Pinal county. They may have to redo the republican primaries. The only issue is the race rerun statewide or just in Pinal county

Last edited:

once_upon

Enough
Don Bacon R Nebraska, latest commercial is saying he is responsible for gas prices going down. Slimeball

clairecloutier

Some encouraging tidbits here about voter registration in Kansas, post-Dobbs:

I’m encouraged by the win in Kansas. I think Dems need to plaster every Republican candidate this fall with nonstop messaging about their antiabortion, pro-forced birth stance. Make Dobbs stick to them so tight that voters can’t ignore it.

PRlady

Some encouraging tidbits here about voter registration in Kansas, post-Dobbs:

I’m encouraged by the win in Kansas. I think Dems need to plaster every Republican candidate this fall with nonstop messaging about their antiabortion, pro-forced birth stance. Make Dobbs stick to them so tight that voters can’t ignore it.
I’m pleasantly shocked by what happened in Kansas. Referenda are the way to go.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Ron Johnson just said Medicare and Social Security should be budgeted annually not entitlements.

Isn't he toast in the November election?

ETA: link to Washington Post report:

Sen. Johnson suggests ending Medicare, Social Security as mandatory spending programs

From the Post: “If you qualify for the entitlement, you just get it no matter what the cost,” Johnson said. “And our problem in this country is that more than 70 percent of our federal budget, of our federal spending, is all mandatory spending. It’s on automatic pilot. It never — you just don’t do proper oversight. You don’t get in there and fix the programs going bankrupt. It’s just on automatic pilot."

“What we ought to be doing is we ought to turn everything into discretionary spending so it’s all evaluated so that we can fix problems or fix programs that are broken, that are going to be going bankrupt,” Johnson said. “As long as things are on automatic pilot, we just continue to pile up debt.”

Last edited:

Louis

Private citizen
Younger voters of both political parties may well be tired of the generational warfare from the overwhelmingly Boomer / Gen X government. The [email protected] is yet another example of how the young are supposed to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of the old, and their reward for doing so is getting completely fcuked. Social Security recipients will see record increases in their checks, while those sacrificed to protect the elderly will see the real power of their earnings decline dramatically. This picture is so wrong that it's not even funny; in fact, it's not only unethical but evil if you ask me.

It's time for the spoiled generations, who had every advantage in life through their willingness to continually mortgage their children's and grandchildren's futures, to start giving back. Immediate cuts to and means-testing of both Social Security and Medicare would be a good start. Sending the bill for the [email protected] to the 70+, with a 90% inheritance tax on anyone born before 1950 - to be redistributed in full to programs benefitting those born after 2000, would be a nice second step.

I can only hope that as younger generations become more politically active, they see statements like Ron Johnson's as not going nearly far enough. Preventing future generations, including mine, from doing the same thing that the Boomers and Xers have done has to be part of the solution, too.

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
@Louis - sorry, but, nope, don't blame the Gen Xers for what the Greatest Generation/Silent Generation/Boomers have wrought upon the US government's budget. I was saying, back when I was in HS, 30+ years ago, that SS wouldn't be around for me because it was going to drain our economy. We've been paying the price our entire adult lives of rising rents pricing us out of the market during our 20s, various boom-bust economic cycles (dotcom, housing bubble, the Great Recession, now this pandemic), and if we're only now, in our 40s starting to reap the benefits of home ownership, any sort of nest egg savings toward retirement, etc, it's because we've worked darn hard to make it happen.

All I see, for all of the generational class warfare going on, are Gen Xers probably getting squeezed again, by a bunch of pampered Millennials and Gen Zers who seem to think that their student loan debt should be forgiven and are being fed a bunch of BS like that it is racist to desire employees with a good work ethic, punctuality or enough common sense to know you will be held accountable for your job performance, and who also seem to think that DEI should outweigh any of those three. Hmph. Please. As far as I'm concerned, the Millennials/Gen Zers can get in line and wait their turn. If they don't like it - don't let the door hit you on the way out and enjoy life in whatever sucker country is going to support your idle wanderings.

Louis

Private citizen
Fair point re: Gen X, though I do think there’s a big difference between the beginning and end of that generation.

In any case, it’s an outrage that social security recipients get an 11% raise while younger workers remain stuck in stagflation. All because of a pandemic where we had to protect the elderly.

For too long anything dealing with the elderly has been off the table. It needs to be back on the table. No one is saying grandma needs to eat cat food, but she needs to be means tested; she may need to cut back on her luxuries; and she may have to work an extra year or two if able and not yet retired.

And for all of the talk about late millennials and Gen Z, there’s no way I would have wanted to grow up in that generation. So much that was accessible to me, as an XY, seems so much harder for them.

once_upon

Enough
Regarding stagnation of wages due to pandemic, there are many of us who never got more than a 1-3% cost of living wage increase.

For me, I was somehow always at the top of the wage scale for my job/position, so I was given that cost of living wage increase as a bonus, which is taxed at a 22% rate. Where the cumulative increase divided by paycheck would have been taxed at a much lower rate.

My pay scale was always determined by market rate, job position, years of experience, education levels and supposedly certifications. At the time I left that employer, I had 33 years experience, 2 advanced degrees, 2 professional certifications, certifications to teach 3 advanced course work to physicians and other professionals, implemented an EMR system wide application. My top of pay range had been maxed out for 9 years. So any cost of living wage increase was paid as bonus.

I know you live and love to blame pandemic for everything, but it is not

BittyBug

Disgusted
In any case, it’s an outrage that social security recipients get an 11% raise while younger workers remain stuck in stagflation. All because of a pandemic where we had to protect the elderly.
In my neck of the woods exactly the opposite has happened. Employees have been more assertive in response to Covid about taking charge of their employment options, which has made it harder to fill positions, which in turn is driving up wages.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I’m pleasantly shocked by what happened in Kansas. Referenda are the way to go.
Human rights should not be subject to votes. That's how we kept slavery for so long and kept women from getting the vote. I see voting as a poor substitute that has the potential to go horribly awry.

Well he just made the social security/medicare statement so hopefully that will get around.
Old people are impacted by this and we vote. :)

Which we absolutely did not do in any way, shape, or form in most countries including all the ones you have passports for.

For too long anything dealing with the elderly has been off the table. It needs to be back on the table. No one is saying grandma needs to eat cat food, but she needs to be means tested; she may need to cut back on her luxuries; and she may have to work an extra year or two if able and not yet retired.
You are so completely out of touch with the majority of retirees. I volunteer with a Safe Parking program and it is overwhelmingly filled with retired people who can't live on the Social Security they do get. I live in a 55+ community where most of us are pretty privileged (compared to the homeless Seniors) and still, many (if not most) struggle when it comes to retirement. There are people eating cat food here already.

These people, if you look at the statistics, are the norm for our retirement population here in the US. Wealthy people that don't need SS because they have so many other investments and property are not.

Btw, exactly how many years do you think "grandma" will have to work to be able to afford to retire? 75, 80, 90? What is the chance that she'll even live that long? The age for receiving full SS benefits has been pushed back already. I can't get them until I'm 66 1/2 and I believe younger people have to wait even longer.

You are also leaving out of this equation that people put in to Social Security (and Medicare). This is not some gift. I, personally, have been putting into SS for FIFTY YEARS. If SS isn't going to be around for me, I want that money back so I can put it into a 401k or an IRA.

And for all of the talk about late millennials and Gen Z, there’s no way I would have wanted to grow up in that generation. So much that was accessible to me, as an XY, seems so much harder for them.
On that, we agree. I would not be a college graduate if the rules in place for welfare and aid that are in place now would have been in place when my mom was a single parent and I was in High School and College.

In my neck of the woods exactly the opposite has happened. Employees have been more assertive in response to Covid about taking charge of their employment options, which has made it harder to fill positions, which in turn is driving up wages.
Well, you know, never let reality get in the way of good mythology. ;)

Seriously, it's absolutely disgraceful how poorly our society is at taking care of its people, especially the very young and the very old.

Louis

Private citizen
Btw, exactly how many years do you think "grandma" will have to work to be able to afford to retire? 75, 80, 90? What is the chance that she'll even live that long? The age for receiving full SS benefits has been pushed back already. I can't get them until I'm 66 1/2 and I believe younger people have to wait even longer.

Whatever it is, I guarantee that it will be less than what we're asking for future generations to do. Time to get real and implement a realistic, consistent retirement age immediately, along with means testing.

You are also leaving out of this equation that people put in to Social Security (and Medicare). This is not some gift. I, personally, have been putting into SS for FIFTY YEARS. If SS isn't going to be around for me, I want that money back so I can put it into a 401k or an IRA.

You sound like a Republican. :rofl: Maybe there's hope for you yet ;). I've been asking for this since 2001. Sadly, you've been had - as has most of the American public. Anyone my age (early 40s) and older has grown up with the knowledge that Social Security would not be around for us, and it's no better than any other type of tax.

Reality is not what's happening anecdotally in Bittybug's town. Wages are up 5.3% year on year, compared to inflation that's officially up 9.1% and is much higher according to alternatives sources. Retirees are making out way better than workers.

caseyedwards

Human rights should not be subject to votes. That's how we kept slavery for so long and kept women from getting the vote. I see voting as a poor substitute that has the potential to go horribly awry.

Old people are impacted by this and we vote. :)

Which we absolutely did not do in any way, shape, or form in most countries including all the ones you have passports for.

You are so completely out of touch with the majority of retirees. I volunteer with a Safe Parking program and it is overwhelmingly filled with retired people who can't live on the Social Security they do get. I live in a 55+ community where most of us are pretty privileged (compared to the homeless Seniors) and still, many (if not most) struggle when it comes to retirement. There are people eating cat food here already.

These people, if you look at the statistics, are the norm for our retirement population here in the US. Wealthy people that don't need SS because they have so many other investments and property are not.

On that, we agree. I would not be a college graduate if the rules in place for welfare and aid that are in place now would have been in place when my mom was a single parent and I was in High School and College.

Seriously, it's absolutely disgraceful how poorly our society is at taking care of its people, especially the very young and the very old.
The US constitution doesn’t explicitly mention abortion. If you want to make sure there can’t be any abortion restrictions in America you need a constitutional amendment. Like you did with slavery

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
And when I was young, we never thought Social Security would be there for us, and yet it is there.

The key to getting your money out of Social Security is to vote only for people who support it, which these days, means voting mostly for Democrats.

Don't vote for Ron Johnson

Don't vote for Rick Scott, etc

POC & Retired single women are the ones who got screwed. In their earlier working years, most jobs were unavailable to them. Those that were available were often low pay. The classifieds were split into men's and women's jobs. If you got pregnant, even though married, you often got fired (I did.) This, combined with with unpaid caregiver jobs that required you to take time off, cut the number of years you worked.

And there was and is the pay gaps between and women and POC and white people. Your Social Security is based on your pay history.

And so you get people like my SIL who make minimum Social Security, about $900 a month these days.

10% raise on a small payment is still damn small.

Quit dumping on grandma.

caseyedwards

So obviously there could be a much better fairer retirement benefit system. The social security is very rigid and inflexible

These DC republicans like Scott and Johnson are looking at issues where democrats have a much more simple proposal. Tax the rich more! Deficits, debt, social security insolvency potentially - all answers are tax the rich more

Republicans are extremely different! Scott was even talking about ending the EITC. Get the poor Americans paying federal income taxes again. Loser proposal!

Things like allowing people to take their FICA taxes and redirect them into savings accounts also a loser proposal!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Gen X controls the Supreme Court now. Boomers have Exec Branch and Boomers/Gex X have the majority of the legislative branch. Not seeing where exactly millennials/gen Z are supposedly wielding political power.

Back to your SS/Medicare bickering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information